Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How much does Greg play tonight?  (Read 3515 times)

tower912

• All American
How much does Greg play tonight?
« on: November 19, 2021, 06:24:46 AM »
I don't think he starts.  I doubt he has the wind to play >25.   I think he pulls minutes from OMP and Joplin.  Three guard sets.  If he hits, he plays.   If he can't shoot, then cursory minutes to start the process.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: How much does Greg play tonight?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 06:38:58 AM »
I don't think he starts.  I doubt he has the wind to play >25.   I think he pulls minutes from OMP and Joplin.  Three guard sets.  If he hits, he plays.   If he can't shoot, then cursory minutes to start the process.

I agree.  He hits a couple 3s he’ll get 10-15 min.  If he misses or get burned on defense a couple times and it’s 5 min or less. 

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »
Not much ...
Nor should he.  The fact that he was dumb enough to do ( whatever he did ) to get suspended is shocking

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:12 AM »
Not much ...
Nor should he.  The fact that he was dumb enough to do ( whatever he did ) to get suspended is shocking

Why shouldn’t he play much?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 07:10:37 AM »
I'm thinking 10-15 minutes, but it will come down to defense. If he can keep up and active with the defensive flow, he'll get a better shot, but if he's not at the level of the other guards, they might hold off until the next round of guarantee games to get him up to speed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 07:11:37 AM »
Not much ...

You do understand the concept of a suspension right ?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 07:24:39 AM »
Why would Elliot be out of shape?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 07:36:54 AM »
12-16 mins seems about right to me. He'll have fresher legs than the others for sure. I assume he'll get an early stint to break the ice and get him into the flow of the game. I'm eager to see how he is moving. I know the big concern is whether he can defend in Shaka's scheme, but when he is moving well Greg has shown very good instincts and the ability to get hands in passing lanes etc. Some of the zone press stuff we run could help him. We also seem to switch and have length on the back end, so it isn't like he should be on an island to defend the ball one on one in space a whole lot. Very hard not to like him, so I hope he comes through and creates a nice role for himself and has a helluva year knocking down shots off of kick out passes.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
Why would Elliot be out of shape?

He's been suspended for four games... in Carbonite.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 07:46:46 AM »
I'm expecting about 10 mins.  The thing is if Kam plays well he has to be on the floor imo.  He gives us a completely different dimension.  He's our quickest player and is capable of putting far more pressure on the opposing defense.  He changes everything if he's on his game and under control.  Once he learns how to pass off the bounce it will open more things up in our offense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 08:25:12 AM »
This weekend?  5 minutes.  The team is 4-0 without him.  Throw him in when you need and hope he hits one or two triples.  Otherwise let the boys roll.  He can contribute after this tournament.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »
Not to be mean, but I hope he gets nearly every one of O-Max's minutes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »

I’d be shocked if he starts. Right now I assume he’s our 5th guard who will only get minutes when we go to a 3 guard lineup. He’ll be inserted for one reason - shoot the 3. Depending on his success 5-15 minutes.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 08:39:15 AM »
I think it totally depends on how the game is going.

I'm sure Shaka has a plan for Greg's involvement - my guess would be about 15 minutes - but he also has an incredible ability to judge the game and adjust on the fly. If we're struggling to score, I suspect Greg plays more. If we're struggling to get stops, he likely sits.

Refreshing...

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 08:43:00 AM »
Panda ... try not to be an A$$

I understand a suspension... and sometimes when u don’t play / others play in your place and do well...

I’d say he plays about 10 mins

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 08:56:19 AM »
Panda ... try not to be an A$$

I understand a suspension... and sometimes when u don’t play / others play in your place and do well...

I’d say he plays about 10 mins

ASS

Not calling you an ass, just letting you know that it okay to type out a word.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »
Wally Pipped, hey  :o

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »
Not to be mean, but I hope he gets nearly every one of O-Max's minutes.

You can't give up on O-Max Pakumi although I understand your frustration.  He's still capable of defending multiple positions and rebounding which we absolutely need moving forward.  It's been a struggle for him so far but hopefully he breaks out tonight.  I think he is having a tough time finding his role but it's early in the season.  Since we can't play Kuath and Oso together, O-Max will get Lewis' mins if Justin gets into foul trouble.  Do not give up on the young man.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 09:10:15 AM »
You can't give up on O-Max Pakumi although I understand your frustration.  He's still capable of defending multiple positions and rebounding which we absolutely need moving forward.  It's been a struggle for him so far but hopefully he breaks out tonight.  I think he is having a tough time finding his role but it's early in the season.  Since we can't play Kuath and Oso together, O-Max will get Lewis' mins if Justin gets into foul trouble.  Do not give up on the young man.
Shaka seems to have a healthy understanding of building toward the future during this win streak. Basically all the freshman have a green light, which is crazy, especially given their less than stellar efficiency. Joplin seems to make a ton of mistakes, but Shaka knows he will need to be a piece down the line. I see O-Max as the same, not quite making it happen yet, but Shaka is going to stick with him for the future.  Greg might help a bit w/his shooting, but I don't see him getting the green light time after time like the freshman do. If he's on one of his good stretches, that's good, otherwise he's not a long term piece, play the underclassmen.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »

I don't think inserting a better player into the lineup means anyone is giving up on OMax. It just means putting your best players on the court.
Other than some length, what is OMax bringing right now? Among the players in the regular rotation, he has the lowest true shooting %, lowest eFG%, lowest points produced, lowest assist percentage, second lowest efficiency rating and second lowest win shares.
Unless Greg regressed significantly over the summer, he's the better player. Play the best players.

VanderBlueFanClub

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I really liked how Cam played last night, so I hope Greg doesn't take away from his minutes but I could see him taking minutes from Joplin and OMP. 
2016-2017 G-League MVP - Vander Blue

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:10 PM »
The minutes played will be the minutes earned in practice .

Being suspended from games does not mean being suspended from practice .

The Coaching staff will have a good idea of who to play when . They also know how the pieces fit together.

This is going to be a tough game, so any help we can get is needed .

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2021, 02:59:55 PM »
Against some teams Greg is an asset, against WV he would be a detriment, to soft a player, not quick, and is not a good enough dribbler.  WV attacks the guards better than majority of D1 teams. I am even concerned it will be to hard for Kolek and Mitchell.  Glad they played Miss first, as they have the same quickness as WV.  It should be interesting.

Odartey Where Art Thou

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
We may see some tired legs with the one day turnaround. I think GE will play 15-20 mins.

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 04:05:22 PM »
We may see some tired legs with the one day turnaround. I think GE will play 15-20 mins.

Agree with this; our style of play is not exactly conducive to these play-next-day tournaments.  We may see a bit more of the zone tonight, and expecting Greg to at least play 15.