[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146155 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #3475 on: June 22, 2023, 09:24:03 AM »
With Middleton declining his $40MM option, he must feel he is in line for a big payday, despite the injury history.  He turns 32 this year - what do you do if you're the Bucks?  Re-signing him would probably give them no flexibility going forward, and can they sign both him and Brook?

Considering his age and what he's shown over the past 2 seasons, I don't see how any team (let alone the Bucks) gives a huge, long-term contract to Middleton. But I haven't studied all the other options out there for the Bucks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3476 on: June 22, 2023, 09:26:42 AM »
With Middleton declining his $40MM option, he must feel he is in line for a big payday, despite the injury history.  He turns 32 this year - what do you do if you're the Bucks?  Re-signing him would probably give them no flexibility going forward, and can they sign both him and Brook?

Bucks shouldn't resign Middleton.  They can resign Brook to a short contract, but he's 35 and could fall off a cliff at any point.

Khris is going to get paid by someone, but I don't want a long term contract on a 32 year old that can's stay healthy.  Find someone else.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3477 on: June 22, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »
The Bucks can't just go and use the $40M Khris would've gotten and offer that to someone else.  They absolutely need to bring back Khris and Brook, and I am guessing they will.  He met with Adrian Griffin prior to his hiring.  I don't think he'd be doing that if there wasn't mutual interest.  The contract people are throwing out there is 4 years, $32.5M/year.  If (big if) Middleton is back to full health, that would be a bargain.

Smart seemed to be the aggressive drive of the team to the point of causing a little locker room friction. We'll see if the newly carefree Celtics can step up or if they ramp up their disappearing act under pressure. Weird decision imo, like the Sixers getting rid of Jimmy

Smart's impact is nowhere near what Jimmy's was with the Sixers.  Smart brings energy and "toughness" (flopping), but he's their 3rd best player at best (I'd take White and Brogdon over him).  Butler was a clear second best player, and was the alpha on the team in Philly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3478 on: June 22, 2023, 09:40:13 AM »
Bucks shouldn't resign Middleton.  They can resign Brook to a short contract, but he's 35 and could fall off a cliff at any point.

Khris is going to get paid by someone, but I don't want a long term contract on a 32 year old that can's stay healthy.  Find someone else.

Such as?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3479 on: June 22, 2023, 09:50:49 AM »
Such as?

Sam Hauser or Tyler Herro can do everything Khris does.  Learn ball
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3480 on: June 22, 2023, 10:20:42 AM »
I think they'll frontload a deal and run it back, although Jrue's value has to be up there. He's a good player and an awesome guy, but his meltdowns in the playoffs would have me exploring deals there to get younger.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #3481 on: June 22, 2023, 10:22:43 AM »
Middleton is getting 3 years 90 or 4 years 120 with partial guarantees from the bucks.

They are going all in one last time, but with a new coach.

Their issue the past two years was injuries. Khris two years ago. Giannis last year.

They also should have tried to trade Pat and Bobby earlier but i think they finally will this summer or midway this season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3482 on: June 22, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »
I think they'll frontload a deal and run it back, although Jrue's value has to be up there. He's a good player and an awesome guy, but his meltdowns in the playoffs would have me exploring deals there to get younger.

I just don't know who would be available but I get your point.   Could they package enough assets with Holiday for Lillard?  I just don't see that possibility coming together so the question is what exactly is out there?  I love the guy too so it would be really tough to see Holiday dealt.  Also getting equal return, regardless of his struggles, would be quite difficult imo.  Is Van Vleet an option somehow?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #3483 on: June 22, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »

I suspect he resigns at a lower salary for next year so that Lopez can be resigned. That's my hope at least.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3484 on: June 22, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »
I suspect he resigns at a lower salary for next year so that Lopez can be resigned. That's my hope at least.

Inmates or something

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3485 on: June 22, 2023, 01:12:30 PM »
Nah, eye'm 'gainst da inmates runnin' da asylum, hey?

Got it. You're in favor of the American Dental Association saying that you can only make $12.50 on each crown you and your fellow dentists do to keep the inmates from running the asylum.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3486 on: June 22, 2023, 02:52:50 PM »
Chris Paul to Golden State for Jordan Poole.  Poole’s stock has plummeted

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3487 on: June 22, 2023, 03:00:30 PM »
Warriors signaling that they're gonna re-sign Green and try for one more run with the Curry-Thompson-Green nucleus.

Backup PG/insurance policy/closer is good role for Paul, who no longer can play anything close to a full season or a full game.

And dumping Poole says, "We prefer Draymond."

Can't say I blame them for taking one more swing at it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 03:07:03 PM by MU82 »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3488 on: June 22, 2023, 03:06:25 PM »
Preferring Draymond to Poole is obvious but as Uncle R wrote it shows how far Poole's stock has fallen.  If Paul is healthy I like it but that's a big if.  He takes a lot of pressure off of Steph.  Of course it changes Draymond's role offensively assuming Green is back.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3489 on: June 22, 2023, 03:09:06 PM »
And GSW can be rid of CP's contract as soon as next season. Getting the Poole extension off their books is what made this trade so lucrative for the Wizards.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3490 on: June 22, 2023, 03:19:30 PM »
I'm not sure it's automatic Draymond comes back although I would think so.  As far as Klay is concerned the truth is he was very mediocre in the playoffs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3491 on: June 22, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »
And GSW can be rid of CP's contract as soon as next season. Getting the Poole extension off their books is what made this trade so lucrative for the Wizards.

Don’t think Paul works at all on this team but Poole was a disaster in the playoffs.  Just another guy destined to play for half a dozen teams or so before it’s all said and done.  Think GSW just tears it all down sooner than later

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3492 on: June 22, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
I'm not sure it's automatic Draymond comes back although I would think so.  As far as Klay is concerned the truth is he was very mediocre in the playoffs.

And Klay's contract is done after this upcoming season as well. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3493 on: June 22, 2023, 03:35:41 PM »
Don’t think Paul works at all on this team but Poole was a disaster in the playoffs.  Just another guy destined to play for half a dozen teams or so before it’s all said and done.  Think GSW just tears it all down sooner than later

I'm not sold on Paul working, but can see it possibly working out.

During the season, another veteran, who can come off the bench and lead the 2nd unit that woefully underperformed last year. His leadership/veteran experience can make that 2nd unit work.

During the playoffs, they could at times go to an offense with Paul/Curry/Klay. Paul has a great midrange game, and it would be open as the opponents refuse to leave Curry/Klay. A counterpunch to the swarm Curry/Klay defense. Now, that lineup can't be the major lineup, but it might be enough of a change of pace option to get them back to the finals.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3494 on: June 22, 2023, 04:12:06 PM »

During the season, another veteran, who can come off the bench and lead the 2nd unit that woefully underperformed last year. His leadership/veteran experience can make that 2nd unit work.

During the playoffs, they could at times go to an offense with Paul/Curry/Klay. Paul has a great midrange game, and it would be open as the opponents refuse to leave Curry/Klay. A counterpunch to the swarm Curry/Klay defense. Now, that lineup can't be the major lineup, but it might be enough of a change of pace option to get them back to the finals.

I think the problem they could have (assuming Green is back) is that Paul is still going to be the primary facilitator when he's on the floor.  That what he has always done and at the highest level.  So Green in essence becomes close to worthless offensively when they're on the court together.  We also don't know if Paul is going to be comfortable coming off the bench.  That said CP3 is still a solid defender so I don't think playing him with Steph for major mins will be a major problem.  If I were GS I'd definitely get another big to help Looney. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3495 on: June 22, 2023, 04:18:32 PM »

It’ll be fascinating to watch.  I just don’t think Paul is a winning player.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3496 on: June 22, 2023, 05:29:02 PM »
It’ll be fascinating to watch.  I just don’t think Paul is a winning player.

Why are you attacking him?  Were Baylor, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Dominique, etc, not winning players??  The guy has had an outstanding career and has always made teams better.  Your attack is totally unwarranted.  He's an all time great player.  Period. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3497 on: June 22, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
Why are you attacking him?  Were Baylor, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Dominique, etc, not winning players??  The guy has had an outstanding career and has always made teams better.  Your attack is totally unwarranted.  He's an all time great player.  Period.

It’s warranted

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3498 on: June 22, 2023, 05:49:35 PM »
It’s warranted

What a bunch of nonsense.  This is RDPB: Ridiculous Diminutive Player Bias. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3499 on: June 22, 2023, 05:50:54 PM »
What a bunch of nonsense.  This is RDPB: Ridiculous Diminutive Player Bias.

Small players can be losers, too