[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146131 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #3425 on: June 18, 2023, 09:12:59 AM »
So what exactly are you saying?

It's not an easy question but there are two choices. How deep is this draft?  I'm looking at sone of these names and I'm not sure it's a great slew of players Wemby abd the top few guys.
I'm saying that Zion has the talent to be better than anyone in this years or the past ten years drafts. The major issue is his health and dedication to the game. In the end, I can see a GM betting on him getting his crap together but I can also see a GM saying he's a bust and not worth a decent draft choice since a player's best ability is his availability. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3426 on: June 18, 2023, 09:28:46 AM »
I'm saying that Zion has the talent to be better than anyone in this years or the past ten years drafts. The major issue is his health and dedication to the game. In the end, I can see a GM betting on him getting his crap together but I can also see a GM saying he's a bust and not worth a decent draft choice since a player's best ability is his availability.

In his limited games he's been really good.  I suppose the issue is his health and contract.  I think I would probably take tbe risk in most cases because the potential reward is there vs what the average NBA rookie or other players will do in the future.  He's young and has time to get his act together.  We're talking about an explosive talent.   When he's right I haven't seen anyone who can really guard him. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3427 on: June 18, 2023, 10:55:34 AM »
I was asked: If you were the Hornets’ GM, would you take Zion in a trade for the #2 pick?

After my initial “Zion’s always hurt and doesn’t take care of himself” reaction, I said: “You know, I think I would, especially if New Orleans sweetened it a little. The Hornets aren’t any good and haven’t been to the playoffs forever. At least Zion gives them some buzz (pun intended) - and if healthy (big if) he’d be a great wingman for LaMelo. What the hell - let’s do it!”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3428 on: June 18, 2023, 12:06:28 PM »
I was asked: If you were the Hornets’ GM, would you take Zion in a trade for the #2 pick?

After my initial “Zion’s always hurt and doesn’t take care of himself” reaction, I said: “You know, I think I would, especially if New Orleans sweetened it a little. The Hornets aren’t any good and haven’t been to the playoffs forever. At least Zion gives them some buzz (pun intended) - and if healthy (big if) he’d be a great wingman for LaMelo. What the hell - let’s do it!”

From what I've heard about Scoot it sounds like he's the real deal with immediate hammer potential.  Seeing you would get him on the rookie salary may be too much to risk.  That  said if New Orleans added a proven vet and maybe a down the road pick?   I would take the deal.  Most people seem sold on Scoot but much less so on Miller. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3429 on: June 18, 2023, 03:50:16 PM »
The Suns unload the contract they were looking to cut, trade one other bench player, don’t give up a single first round pick, and wind up with Bradley Beal?

Huh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3430 on: June 18, 2023, 03:59:48 PM »
The Suns unload the contract they were looking to cut, trade one other bench player, don’t give up a single first round pick, and wind up with Bradley Beal?

Huh.

Wow.....wtf is Washington thinking here?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3431 on: June 18, 2023, 04:01:01 PM »
We’ll see. Not a lot of depth there.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3432 on: June 18, 2023, 04:02:15 PM »

They'll flame out (no pun intended) but it's still crazy to think the Wiz didn't even get a 1st round pick. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3433 on: June 18, 2023, 04:06:01 PM »
They'll flame out (no pun intended) but it's still crazy to think the Wiz didn't even get a 1st round pick.
I think the 'no trade clause' impacts the value the Wiz could get.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3434 on: June 18, 2023, 04:08:10 PM »
I think the 'no trade clause' impacts the value the Wiz could get.

I'm really surprised they didn't work out a deal with Miami.  Basically this looks like a salary dump.  I assume they will cut Paul. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3435 on: June 18, 2023, 04:08:37 PM »

There isn’t. But they didn’t give up any depth in this trade.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3436 on: June 18, 2023, 04:10:57 PM »
As for the Durant, Booker, Beal trio?  It's not gonna work.  They will win a lot of games but three great iso players won't get it done  and Ayton will continue to be unhappy.  I wonder if they'll unload him?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3437 on: June 18, 2023, 06:28:33 PM »
As for the Durant, Booker, Beal trio?  It's not gonna work.  They will win a lot of games but three great iso players won't get it done  and Ayton will continue to be unhappy.  I wonder if they'll unload him?

I think the Durant, Harden, Irving trio would have won a lot of games if not for injury luck and Irving's combustibility. The injury factor is still very real for the Suns' trio but that scoring can still win a lot of games. I am dubious they can win it all with their inability to put a team around them

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3438 on: June 19, 2023, 06:30:09 PM »
Draymond opted out of 27.5 m.  Is there really a team that will give him more than that?  I don't know the level the salary cap will increase but I wouldn't touch this guy for 30m a year......unless you're a championship team with him?  No one is coming to the top of my head   

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3439 on: June 19, 2023, 08:09:14 PM »
I remember when Wade got conned ,by Lebron ,into turning down his player option . The theoty being Lebron would resign with Heat . Reality was Lebron. Bolted  and Wade ended up getting paid less to go to The Bulls them the cavs  and back to the Heat . Final year olayed for peanuts

Moral of the story, in these situation's, exercise your player option
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

• All American
« Reply #3440 on: June 19, 2023, 08:21:44 PM »
I remember when Wade got conned ,by Lebron ,into turning down his player option . The theoty being Lebron would resign with Heat . Reality was Lebron. Bolted  and Wade ended up getting paid less to go to The Bulls them the cavs  and back to the Heat . Final year olayed for peanuts

Moral of the story, in these situation's, exercise your player option

I think you’re misremembering. Wade opted out of $41M over two years with the Heat, but then made $35M with them over the next two seasons. That’s before he made $38M over two years with the Bulls before signing a series of small deals with the Heat to round out his career.

So it maybe cost him $6M, but didn’t seem to have any bearing on his deal with the Bulls.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3441 on: June 19, 2023, 08:22:00 PM »
I think the Durant, Harden, Irving trio would have won a lot of games if not for injury luck and Irving's combustibility. The injury factor is still very real for the Suns' trio but that scoring can still win a lot of games. I am dubious they can win it all with their inability to put a team around them

I don’t think a team with three ball dominant players, who combine for way below average defense can win consistently. Lotsa regular season wins, but never any cigars.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3442 on: June 19, 2023, 08:48:18 PM »
I don’t think a team with three ball dominant players, who combine for way below average defense can win consistently. Lotsa regular season wins, but never any cigars.

The good news for the Suns is all 3 are above average defenders.

And let’s not pretend that they Nets wouldn’t have won at least one title, let alone multiple titles, had either Kyrie or Harden not gotten injured. Heck they even would’ve with neither healthy and KD completely carrying them had he had a half size smaller shoe.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3443 on: June 19, 2023, 09:56:40 PM »
I think you’re misremembering. Wade opted out of $41M over two years with the Heat, but then made $35M with them over the next two seasons. That’s before he made $38M over two years with the Bulls before signing a series of small deals with the Heat to round out his career.

So it maybe cost him $6M, but didn’t seem to have any bearing on his deal with the Bulls.
Yes thats the point. Wade had the absolute right to get paid . He opted out and made $6 million less. Wade also entered into some kind of buyout on his second year in Chicago and again took less so he could go to Cleveland and get kicked to the curb by Lebron there as well.

Lesson learned do not turn down player option when your an aging vet .

I think Draymond is making a mistake . No one will pay him like the bird he has in hand

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3444 on: June 19, 2023, 10:53:38 PM »
Draymond opted out of 27.5 m.  Is there really a team that will give him more than that?  I don't know the level the salary cap will increase but I wouldn't touch this guy for 30m a year......unless you're a championship team with him?  No one is coming to the top of my head

I don't think his goal is to get more money per year, but possibly more money longer term and a chance to finish his career with Curry.

My guess is he is hoping for a 3-year deal worth around $70-75M from the Warriors.

Sure, he could take $27.5M now, then he has to hope of another contract at 34 years old. I think 1-year from now getting a 2-year $40+M contract might be hard, but I think the Warriors would give him a 3-year $70M option.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3445 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:33 AM »
I don't think his goal is to get more money per year, but possibly more money longer term and a chance to finish his career with Curry.

My guess is he is hoping for a 3-year deal worth around $70-75M from the Warriors.

Sure, he could take $27.5M now, then he has to hope of another contract at 34 years old. I think 1-year from now getting a 2-year $40+M contract might be hard, but I think the Warriors would give him a 3-year $70M option.

That's a fair point.  Personally, I would do a sign and trade if teams are willing to take a potential 3 for 70.  He's not getting any younger and isn't putting them over the hump vs Denver and other contenders. The Dubs have some serious probs moving forward.  Klay is nowhere near the player he used to be, the Poole contract sucks, etc, etc. Curry is Curry but what are we talking....3 more years?  They need to dump some guys and get a 2nd star. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3446 on: June 20, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
As it currently stands, of the 4 longest tenured players in the NBA with one team... Steph, Klay and Draymond are 1,2, and 4.  The third is Dame.  Just crazy

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3447 on: June 20, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »
why would someone trade for zion with all the baggage??  or should i say very public baggage? 

not to mention his tenure or lack thereof

way way too much maintenance
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #3448 on: June 20, 2023, 11:22:11 AM »
As it currently stands, of the 4 longest tenured players in the NBA with one team... Steph, Klay and Draymond are 1,2, and 4.  The third is Dame.  Just crazy

No need to rebuild with their success.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3449 on: June 20, 2023, 11:29:29 AM »
why would someone trade for zion with all the baggage??  or should i say very public baggage? 

not to mention his tenure or lack thereof

way way too much maintenance

Lol, what?  For one of the two or three posters who most objectifies women around here, this is incredible.  Baggage?  Because he slept with multiple women?  Good luck filling out an NBA roster with players who have not done that.

feedback