[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146131 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #3275 on: June 09, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
So are you saying that Spo, one of the best current basketball coaches in the world,  couldn't figure out what lineup and rotations are best for his team? But you can?

Even if this is true,  thats a coaching issue,  not addition by subtraction

No, that's what you're saying. 

I'm stating that Herro’s absence forced him to change his minutes distribution as it would any coach and that those three players wouldn't have gotten the same minutes in the playoffs. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 11:18:07 AM by MuggsyB »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3276 on: June 09, 2023, 11:39:44 AM »

I'm stating that Herro’s absence forced him to change his minutes distribution as it would any coach and that those three players wouldn't have gotten the same minutes in the playoffs.

So spo can only figure out his best lineup when he's forced to change it? He cant figure it out of all players are healthy? Personally,  i think Spo is smarter than that
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3277 on: June 09, 2023, 01:25:57 PM »
So spo can only figure out his best lineup when he's forced to change it? He cant figure it out of all players are healthy? Personally,  i think Spo is smarter than that

It can happen.  Sometimes you don't know what you have until guys are forced to play more minutes and take on a greater role.  Especially under playoffs pressure.  I mean Duncan Robinson was hardly playing at all during the regular season and he's come up large in a bunch of games.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3278 on: June 09, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »

Wow. When someone averaging 30 minutes a game is out, a coach has to change things up?

Shocking. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3279 on: June 09, 2023, 02:24:30 PM »
It can happen.  Sometimes you don't know what you have until guys are forced to play more minutes and take on a greater role.  Especially under playoffs pressure.  I mean Duncan Robinson was hardly playing at all during the regular season and he's come up large in a bunch of games.

Personally Id be shocked if Spo couldn't figure out his best lineups on his own.  If one of the best coaches of today can't do that,  all basketball coaches must be pretty bad at their jobs
TAMU

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3280 on: June 09, 2023, 03:09:54 PM »
So we’re going with either 1) Drew Bledsoe was better than Tom Brady OR 2) Bill Bellichick is an idiot and bad football coach?

Sometimes when coaches are forced to change things due to injury we find out that what we’re limited players are actually better than the guys who were getting the playing time. Even for great coaches!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3281 on: June 09, 2023, 07:17:27 PM »
So we’re going with either 1) Drew Bledsoe was better than Tom Brady OR 2) Bill Bellichick is an idiot and bad football coach?

Sometimes when coaches are forced to change things due to injury we find out that what we’re limited players are actually better than the guys who were getting the playing time. Even for great coaches!

You missed some details in that comparison.

1. Belichek wasnt a great coach at that point. He was a guy with a career sub 500 record (which he's always been without Brady). Spo is a guy with multiple championships and has been great with multiple superstars.
2. Bledsoe was hurt in the first or second game of the season,  not at the end of an 82 game regular season.
3. Unless there's an injury, you typically only play one qb in an actual game.  Spo has had plenty of live game action to see how the team plays with Herro and Vincent on the floor
4. We don't know that Belichek wouldnt have made the same move even if Bledsoe didn't get hurt. We also don't know if the patriots would have done as good or better with Bledsoe

My main disagreement with this while Vincent/Herro debate is that some,  most notably yourself,  are acting as if this is so obvious that anyone who doesn't see it is an idiot.  Well Spo qpparantly didn't see it for a long time so logically he must be an idiot. And for all we know he's still an idiot who's only not playing Herro because of injury.

Maybe,  just maybe there are other factors at play that have led to Miamis dominance in the playoffs besides the absensce of Herro. Most notably Jimmy going God mode and Vincent and others pouncing above their weight foe a short stretch.  And maybe there are factors that contributed to their underwhelming regular season.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:20:13 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3282 on: June 09, 2023, 07:51:27 PM »
Miami must get the 3-Ball cooking.  Unless Jimmy goes bananas. But it doesn't seem like he's been the same since he tweaked his ankle early in the Boston series.  Right now I'm pretty concerned this could be ugly. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3283 on: June 09, 2023, 07:58:44 PM »
Catastrophic start for the Heat.  They're fortunate Denver has missed open shots. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3284 on: June 09, 2023, 07:58:55 PM »
Maybe Denver is the better team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3285 on: June 09, 2023, 08:02:19 PM »
Maybe Denver is the better team.

They appear to be but most people would say Milwaukee and Boston were better teams.  They simply must get their act together Tower. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3286 on: June 09, 2023, 08:06:44 PM »
Count that!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3287 on: June 09, 2023, 08:21:16 PM »
Crazy foul call on that Lowry drive.  Wow. 

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #3288 on: June 09, 2023, 08:33:01 PM »
You missed some details in that comparison.

1. Belichek wasnt a great coach at that point. He was a guy with a career sub 500 record (which he's always been without Brady). Spo is a guy with multiple championships and has been great with multiple superstars.
2. Bledsoe was hurt in the first or second game of the season,  not at the end of an 82 game regular season.
3. Unless there's an injury, you typically only play one qb in an actual game.  Spo has had plenty of live game action to see how the team plays with Herro and Vincent on the floor
4. We don't know that Belichek wouldnt have made the same move even if Bledsoe didn't get hurt. We also don't know if the patriots would have done as good or better with Bledsoe

My main disagreement with this while Vincent/Herro debate is that some,  most notably yourself,  are acting as if this is so obvious that anyone who doesn't see it is an idiot.  Well Spo qpparantly didn't see it for a long time so logically he must be an idiot. And for all we know he's still an idiot who's only not playing Herro because of injury.

Maybe,  just maybe there are other factors at play that have led to Miamis dominance in the playoffs besides the absensce of Herro. Most notably Jimmy going God mode and Vincent and others pouncing above their weight foe a short stretch.  And maybe there are factors that contributed to their underwhelming regular season.

Jimmy went into God mode against the Bucks. He shouldn’t have even won ECF MVP. He’s been good. But he was good all year.

They’ve now played over 25% of what the regular season is in the Playoffs. 15 of the 21 games against the 3 best teams in the NBA, and the other 6 against a good but not great Knicks team. This is no longer “for a short stretch.” They’re just good basketball players. It IS very clear that the Heat are a better team when they don’t have a bright blinking target to attack defensively and a ball stopping, high volume scorer on offense. I don’t know how it’s even debatable. .536 winning percentage against every team in the NBA over 82 games. .500 against the 8 and 9 seed in the 2 Play In games. .619 in 21 games against the very best teams in the league without Herro. Vastly better offensive rating against the best teams in the league in the Playoffs than they had with Herro in the regular season. Objectively, it’s not even a debate.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3289 on: June 09, 2023, 08:42:07 PM »
Lowry with a huge half to keep Miami alive.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3290 on: June 09, 2023, 08:42:52 PM »
Jimmy went into God mode against the Bucks. He shouldn’t have even won ECF MVP. He’s been good. But he was good all year.

They’ve now played over 25% of what the regular season is in the Playoffs. 15 of the 21 games against the 3 best teams in the NBA, and the other 6 against a good but not great Knicks team. This is no longer “for a short stretch.” They’re just good basketball players. It IS very clear that the Heat are a better team when they don’t have a bright blinking target to attack defensively and a ball stopping, high volume scorer on offense. I don’t know how it’s even debatable. .536 winning percentage against every team in the NBA over 82 games. .500 against the 8 and 9 seed in the 2 Play In games. .619 in 21 games against the very best teams in the league without Herro. Vastly better offensive rating against the best teams in the league in the Playoffs than they had with Herro in the regular season. Objectively, it’s not even a debate.

So was Spo intentionally tanking or an idiot? I mean if it's not even debatable
TAMU

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3291 on: June 09, 2023, 08:51:13 PM »

Keep shifting the goalposts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3292 on: June 09, 2023, 09:06:16 PM »
Uh-Oh.  It's now or never for Miami. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3293 on: June 09, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »

Maybe it was Olidipo getting injured that spurred their success, or a butterfly flapping its wings in St. Petersburg.

Your argument atet "it is very clear" has no merit. The better explanation is that they are a very good team period, and their struggles this year were largely due to them having the most missed games due to injury in the entire NBA, and that towards the end of the season, they were able to finally start getting rotations that worked and brought them success.

Add in, that they are a strong defensive and 3-pt shooting team. Those two aspects are what win in the playoffs.

Herro is the better player period. I can't believe that this is still an ongoing discussion.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3294 on: June 09, 2023, 09:22:28 PM »
Sweet Jesus Bam!!  Take the ball and throw that down with authority. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3295 on: June 09, 2023, 09:23:21 PM »
Jamal!!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3296 on: June 09, 2023, 09:26:53 PM »
I thought if you broke the hoop by hanging on the rim it was an automatic technical.

Thought that was invoked in the Shaq era.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3297 on: June 09, 2023, 09:32:54 PM »
I thought if you broke the hoop by hanging on the rim it was an automatic technical.

Thought that was invoked in the Shaq era.

It probably should have been.

It looks like this game and series is over. :(

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3298 on: June 09, 2023, 09:41:25 PM »
The NBA just cannot stop rewarding flopping.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3299 on: June 09, 2023, 09:43:44 PM »
The NBA just cannot stop rewarding flopping.

True, that was awful. But Jokic’s 4th foul was just a stupid decision by such a smart player.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson