[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146191 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #2525 on: May 13, 2023, 05:55:43 PM »
I would not put Draymond Green in the same stratosphere with Barkley as a rebounder or in any other category  offensively.

We know you hate Draymond, Muggs, thanks

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2526 on: May 13, 2023, 06:06:43 PM »
We know you hate Draymond, Muggs, thanks

That's not why.  You're just not thinking clearly and have made an egregious error if you really think he's comparable to Barkley. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2527 on: May 13, 2023, 06:38:18 PM »
That's not why.  You're just not thinking clearly and have made an egregious error if you really think he's comparable to Barkley.

I never once said he was comparable to Barkley other than saying they were both elite rebounders at their size.  Which they both were at 6'6.  In Draymond's prime during the first 4-5 years after he became a starter in GS, he was top 25 (couple times top 15) in RPG despite being 6'6 and not terribly athletic comparatively.  Thats being an elite rebounder.

And FWIW, Draymond is a far better passer than Barkley ever was.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2528 on: May 13, 2023, 07:00:32 PM »
7 rebs a game on that team is not elite.  I also don't think he's a better passer than Barkley, he's certainly not far better.  Kicking the ball to Curry or Thompson doesn't make you a better passer.  Barkley was among the best players ever in the 6'5 range.  If Green played for a different team he'd be mentioned with players like Crowder and Tucker.  He thinks he's better than Dennis Rodman was... ....uhhhhh he's not or remotely close. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2529 on: May 13, 2023, 07:57:24 PM »
GSW took 263 three point shots in the series. The Lakers took 168. Jump shooting teams aren’t going to pick up fouls the same way teams that attack the basket do.

This result had nothing to do with refs. It had to do with a taller and bigger team attacking a weak interior defense and making it difficult to shoot from distance.

It is just poor analysis to look at the number of free throws attempted.

The GSW took very similar breakdowns of shots the entire series. So did the Lakers. As I said above, their respective game plans did not change game to game. So if officiating was consistent, each game should have had similar foul/FT breakdowns between the respective teams (more FTs for the Lakers).

But as I noted above, how fouls were called did change from game to game. That doesn't mean any games were bad refs, or good refs, just the way the game was called changed...hence in some games the Lakers shooting 40+ FTs and others 15.

Ignoring that the way the game is called differentially impacts the two teams, is frankly ignorant.

Note: Even your analysis doesn't really reflect the series. Games 1 and 2 in particular, and most of game 6, the Lakers were reasonably willing to let people shoot (not named Curry). On one play, Klay had the ball at the top of the key and Curry was open on the wing, Lebron left the ball handler, Klay, wide open to shoot the 3, so that Curry wouldn't get a possible good look. The Lakers were willing to let other players shoot, and were content with the let someone besides Curry beat us.

The big problem is the Warriors failed to capitalize on (players not named Curry) being given open looks. They lost the series because they couldn't hit open shots, and in crunch time in 2 key games did not play good defense (particularly Poole).

But ignoring how the different styles of officiating from game to game impacted the results is also ignorant. In the end, all that matters is the Warriors needed to play better. A big part of the NBA game is the variability in how the came is called from crew to crew...they need to deal with it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2530 on: May 13, 2023, 08:19:09 PM »
The GSW took very similar breakdowns of shots the entire series. So did the Lakers. As I said above, their respective game plans did not change game to game. So if officiating was consistent, each game should have had similar foul/FT breakdowns between the respective teams (more FTs for the Lakers).

But as I noted above, how fouls were called did change from game to game. That doesn't mean any games were bad refs, or good refs, just the way the game was called changed...hence in some games the Lakers shooting 40+ FTs and others 15.

Ignoring that the way the game is called differentially impacts the two teams, is frankly ignorant.

Note: Even your analysis doesn't really reflect the series. Games 1 and 2 in particular, and most of game 6, the Lakers were reasonably willing to let people shoot (not named Curry). On one play, Klay had the ball at the top of the key and Curry was open on the wing, Lebron left the ball handler, Klay, wide open to shoot the 3, so that Curry wouldn't get a possible good look. The Lakers were willing to let other players shoot, and were content with the let someone besides Curry beat us.

The big problem is the Warriors failed to capitalize on (players not named Curry) being given open looks. They lost the series because they couldn't hit open shots, and in crunch time in 2 key games did not play good defense (particularly Poole).

But ignoring how the different styles of officiating from game to game impacted the results is also ignorant. In the end, all that matters is the Warriors needed to play better. A big part of the NBA game is the variability in how the came is called from crew to crew...they need to deal with it.

It’s really not a problem. You are just letting your biased eyes deceive you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2531 on: May 13, 2023, 09:00:46 PM »
Monty Williams has been fired by the Suns.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2532 on: May 13, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »
Monty Williams has been fired by the Suns.

Read yesterday the Bucks like him.  I didn’t realize they interviewed him when Bud was hired. 

I’d probably be good with him but admit I don’t follow the NBA closely. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2533 on: May 13, 2023, 09:17:44 PM »
Wouldn’t be my first choice, but wouldn’t hate it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2534 on: May 13, 2023, 09:19:47 PM »
Read yesterday the Bucks like him.  I didn’t realize they interviewed him when Bud was hired. 

I’d probably be good with him but admit I don’t follow the NBA closely.

It's hard to know.  He seems like a really solid and classy person.  I'm wondering if the Bucks interview Vogel or D'Antoni or if Ty Lue could be available. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2535 on: May 13, 2023, 09:20:48 PM »
Hoo'd bea yo furst choice, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2536 on: May 13, 2023, 09:22:31 PM »

Jay Wright. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2537 on: May 13, 2023, 09:24:22 PM »
Jay Wright.

Not sure if you’re being serious, but I think he would succeed anywhere.  He’s just that good. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2538 on: May 13, 2023, 09:25:39 PM »

No slam dunk candidates, no pun intended.  They all have their drawbacks and legitimate question marks. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2539 on: May 13, 2023, 09:28:14 PM »
Not sure if you’re being serious, but I think he would succeed anywhere.  He’s just that good.

I'm dead serious although I don't know if he wants to coach.  Give the guy whatever he wants

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2540 on: May 13, 2023, 09:29:40 PM »
It's hard to know.  He seems like a really solid and classy person.  I'm wondering if the Bucks interview Vogel or D'Antoni or if Ty Lue could be available.

D’Antoni is one name I do have a strong opinion on and it’s no effing way. 72 years old and 0-3 in conference finals.  Overrated. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2541 on: May 13, 2023, 09:31:30 PM »
D’Antoni is one name I do have a strong opinion on and it’s no effing way. 72 years old and 0-3 in conference finals.  Overrated.

You need the right team but I get your point.  I think Wright and Vogel should be their top two candidates. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2542 on: May 13, 2023, 09:32:47 PM »
Could Steve Kerr bolt?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2543 on: May 13, 2023, 09:33:22 PM »
I'm dead serious although I don't know if he wants to coach.  Give the guy whatever he wants

The Bucks just can’t afford for someone to have to learn the NBA on the fly.  That’s his only downside for them.  Maybe it would be a very short and/or negligible learning curve for Jay though.  They could do worse than him. I love the guy. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2544 on: May 13, 2023, 09:35:53 PM »
The Bucks just can’t afford for someone to have to learn the NBA on the fly.  That’s his only downside for them.  Maybe it would be a very short and/or negligible learning curve for Jay though.  They could do worse than him. I love the guy.

He's different than former college coaches that have taken the NBA plunge.  I'd break the bank and reach out to him. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2545 on: May 13, 2023, 09:55:06 PM »
Wouldn’t be my first choice, but wouldn’t hate it.

I don’t follow closely enough to have preferred choices among assistants, but I wouldn’t hate it either. He seems pretty universally well-liked, impossible not to root for him after the tragedy with his wife, and from the outside all four of the Suns’ best players seem tougher to deal with than anyone on the Bucks.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2546 on: May 13, 2023, 10:21:20 PM »
He's different than former college coaches that have taken the NBA plunge.  I'd break the bank and reach out to him.

I like your boldness Muggsy. And no argument here.  He’s been around NBA guys in the Olympics too.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2547 on: May 13, 2023, 10:33:06 PM »
I definitely exaggerating with "elite" but he's an excellent rebounder, well above average at worst.  8 boards a game puts you in the top 30 in the league.  Of those, 3 are non-PF/Cs (one of which is Tatum who is an excellent rebounder as well).  Rebounding as a jump shooter/perimeter player is a combination of instincts, reactions, and game understanding.  Being 6'10 helps, but look at guys like Michael Porter Jr or Brandon Ingram who are tall lanky scorers who play the 3 on the perimeter, they don't rebound anywhere close to KD.  Same for someone like Jerami Grant.

It was more to just highlight his overall game and not just "KD is a great shooter who can't lead a team".

That's fair.

Reading on in this thread, though, I have to admit I'm surprised with how easily you seem throw around "elite."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2548 on: May 13, 2023, 10:57:07 PM »
That's fair.

Reading on in this thread, though, I have to admit I'm surprised with how easily you seem throw around "elite."

Since when is "elite" based on height?   if that were the case Muggsy would be an elite scorer, rebounder, shot blocker, and rim protector. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2549 on: May 14, 2023, 02:07:10 AM »
For the Bucks, I think the absolute most important quality in a coach is that they can execute the organization’s vision. I think there are a number people who could do that, but a number who would likely not be great.

IOW I don’t think you need THE guy, a super coach like a Jay Wright, to succeed. I think the coach is way more important in college ball because they oversee everything about the program. That’s not the case in the NBA.

This is a veteran team. Be good in the locker room and decent with the Xs and Os and that will be fine. I think there are a number who can fit that bill.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback