[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146092 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #2500 on: May 12, 2023, 09:54:23 PM »
John Dawson is better than KD

It’s why I dubbed him “Magic”.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2501 on: May 12, 2023, 10:21:37 PM »
Mike Breen: “LeBron James has spent more than half his life in the NBA.”

Which is effen incredible.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2502 on: May 12, 2023, 10:24:52 PM »
Poole has been an absolute disaster. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2503 on: May 12, 2023, 10:47:36 PM »
The Denver/Lakers series should be interesting. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2504 on: May 12, 2023, 10:54:19 PM »
The Denver/Lakers series should be interesting.

Not if they reward flopping.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2505 on: May 12, 2023, 11:10:05 PM »
Not if they reward flopping.

Everybody seems to flop these days. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2506 on: May 12, 2023, 11:16:20 PM »
Cause the refs keep calling it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2507 on: May 12, 2023, 11:21:38 PM »
Klay has been beyond an abomination. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2508 on: May 12, 2023, 11:31:03 PM »
Klay has been beyond an abomination.

Agreed.

In general, its like someone drugged the Warriors into forgetting how to shoot the basketball. They missed so many wide open 3's that they always hit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2509 on: May 12, 2023, 11:35:30 PM »
Agreed.

In general, its like someone drugged the Warriors into forgetting how to shoot the basketball. They missed so many wide open 3's that they always hit.

It's been a terrible performance for GS basically the entire series.  Klay and Draymond aren't the same players, they just signed Poole for $120 m+, I'm not sure where they go from here. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2510 on: May 12, 2023, 11:38:17 PM »
I hope I'm wrong but I would say the Lakers are the favorites, then Denver.  Whoever wins that series will beat Boston or Philly.

Very upsetting the Bucks crapped the bed and another title opportunity. 

• All American
« Reply #2511 on: May 12, 2023, 11:41:17 PM »
GSW lost 3 of 4 to the Lakers during the regular season with the only win coming in the first game of the season. I just think it’s a bad match up. The Lakers can switch multiple guys on the perimeter and have size protecting the rim.

Going to be interesting to see what they can do against a team with a dominant big man. I think they will struggle against the Nuggets.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2512 on: May 12, 2023, 11:48:38 PM »
GSW lost 3 of 4 to the Lakers during the regular season with the only win coming in the first game of the season. I just think it’s a bad match up. The Lakers can switch multiple guys on the perimeter and have size protecting the rim.

Going to be interesting to see what they can do against a team with a dominant big man. I think they will struggle against the Nuggets.

The Lakers have a lot more depth and Davis is a difficult match-up for Jokic.  The Nuggets are at their best in transition but will the Lakers turn it over?  I also think Lebron could go off in this series.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2513 on: May 13, 2023, 06:37:23 AM »
Delighted to see Jimmy and The Heat make it to Eastern finals. Heat have been working hard  every possession.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2514 on: May 13, 2023, 06:37:33 AM »
The Nuggets have been the best team in the Playoffs by a pretty good amount.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2515 on: May 13, 2023, 10:23:18 AM »
The Nuggets have been the best team in the Playoffs by a pretty good amount.

They have but I would still say the Lakers have 2 of the top 3 players.   Gordon and KCP have to be solid for Denver. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2516 on: May 13, 2023, 10:56:12 AM »
The Lakers v. Warriors series games.

Game 1 Lakers W by 5: Lakers 29 FTs ; Warriors 6 FTs               
Game 2 Warriors W by 27: Lakers 17 FTs ; Warriors 16 FTs
Game 3 Lakers W by 30: Lakers 37 FTs ; Warriors 17 FTs
Game 4 Lakers W by 3: Lakers 20 FTs ; Warriors 12 FTs
Game 5 Warriors W by 15: Lakers 15 FTs ; Warriors 15 FTs
Game 6 Lakers W by 21: Lakers 42 FTs ; Warriors 14 FTs

Series total: Lakers 160 FTs ; Warriors 80 FTs

The series was decided by two main factors. And a minor 3rd.

1. The inability of the GSW to hit a lot of open 3's they were given and usually make. Was honestly shocking how many open shots they missed.
2. The tone of officiating. You could pretty much tell early in a game whether the Warriors would win or lose based on whether they rewarded the Lakers flops.

3. Jordan Poole is a horrible defender and was pretty much garbage the entire series.

Regarding the 2nd point, each team played pretty much the same game plan all series, the differences in FTs per game was not changing styles, or less contact, just what they decided to call (not saying there wasn't contact or they weren't fouls, but NBA officiating is largely discretion based, where they decide what they want to call in that particular game).

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2517 on: May 13, 2023, 10:58:13 AM »
Also, regarding officiating style. The Lakers flop more than any team I've watched, and get rewarded for it more than any other team. It is a large reason why they dominated FT shooting all season.

If that trend continues in the playoffs, where usually defenses are both more aggressive and allowed to be more aggressive. The Lakers will continue to win.

• All American
« Reply #2518 on: May 13, 2023, 11:08:01 AM »

1. The inability of the GSW to hit a lot of open 3's they were given and usually make. Was honestly shocking how many open shots they missed.
2. The tone of officiating. You could pretty much tell early in a game whether the Warriors would win or lose based on whether they rewarded the Lakers flops.

3. Jordan Poole is a horrible defender and was pretty much garbage the entire series.

Regarding the 2nd point, each team played pretty much the same game plan all series, the differences in FTs per game was not changing styles, or less contact, just what they decided to call (not saying there wasn't contact or they weren't fouls, but NBA officiating is largely discretion based, where they decide what they want to call in that particular game).

GSW took 263 three point shots in the series. The Lakers took 168. Jump shooting teams aren’t going to pick up fouls the same way teams that attack the basket do.

This result had nothing to do with refs. It had to do with a taller and bigger team attacking a weak interior defense and making it difficult to shoot from distance.

It is just poor analysis to look at the number of free throws attempted.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2519 on: May 13, 2023, 11:16:21 AM »

The Lakers do flop a lot but were the better team.  As far as the FT disparity it was a bit crazy but the fact is GS is essentially a jump shooting team and they couldn't attack the paint.  Poole was abysmal and you can certainly say the same thing about Klay Thompson.  He was a complete dumpster fire.   

The Lakers have a number of auxiliary players that contribute and worry me as someone who is rooting for Denver.  Reeves is pretty damn good, Russell has his moments, Hachimura, Walker, and Schroeder are all capable, Vanderbilt can defend.  Getting rid of Westbrook changed everything for them. 

What we need is for Murray to have a big series and Gordon and KCP to be solid.  I expect Jokic to do his thing for the most part.  If Denver can play relatively fast and make it a track meet then we could be in business. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2520 on: May 13, 2023, 01:23:41 PM »
GSW took 263 three point shots in the series. The Lakers took 168. Jump shooting teams aren’t going to pick up fouls the same way teams that attack the basket do.

This result had nothing to do with refs. It had to do with a taller and bigger team attacking a weak interior defense and making it difficult to shoot from distance.

It is just poor analysis to look at the number of free throws attempted.

Im also pretty sure the Lakers were #1 in NBA in FTA in the regular season. And I think Golden State was dead last or close to it.

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2521 on: May 13, 2023, 04:40:01 PM »
A 6-10 guy averaging close to 8 rebounds is an “elite rebounder,”Wags?

KD’s a hell of a player, but I think you might be trying a little too hard with that one.

I definitely exaggerating with "elite" but he's an excellent rebounder, well above average at worst.  8 boards a game puts you in the top 30 in the league.  Of those, 3 are non-PF/Cs (one of which is Tatum who is an excellent rebounder as well).  Rebounding as a jump shooter/perimeter player is a combination of instincts, reactions, and game understanding.  Being 6'10 helps, but look at guys like Michael Porter Jr or Brandon Ingram who are tall lanky scorers who play the 3 on the perimeter, they don't rebound anywhere close to KD.  Same for someone like Jerami Grant.

It was more to just highlight his overall game and not just "KD is a great shooter who can't lead a team".

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2522 on: May 13, 2023, 04:41:38 PM »
He’s an elite rebounder.  He’s averaged close to 8 rebounds a game for his career despite being primarily perimeter player and not having the frame to bang for boards.

He’s not just a great shooter, he’s an absurd scorer, he can score literally from every level and in every way, which plays into the fact that he’s also unselfish and a very good distributor.  He also doesn’t need to dominate the ball to be effective.

And to top it off, he’s an extremely underrated defender.  He’s not a lockdown perimeter guy, but a damn good help defender and one of his biggest assets to that Warriors run was his difference making at the second level defensively with his length and reactions.

7.1 rebounds while averaging 36 minutes a game is not elite. If so, Draymond averaging 7.0 in 29 minutes a game (at 5" shorter) would be more elite.

Yes he is a great scorer - I said he is one of the top 2 or 3 best shooters ever.

Defensively, he is like Bird. Not very good on point, but a pretty good team defender, as you said. Maybe even a bit underrated. But not extremely underrated. No comparison whatever to Draymond who is one of the all-time greats.

For Wades and Hards, no I am NOT saying Draymond is a better player. I am using him as a comparison because I tied Durant's team success to Curry. Curry won with Durant (probably top 15 all-time) and with Draymond (somewhere in the 50-75 range all-time).

For all those that want to argue or make up things I am saying, my only point originally was that Curry can lead a team to a title and Durant can't. And we have proof. Durant needs to force a trade to Miami. Playing with a guy like Jimmy (and to a lesser extent, Bam), he could prove me wrong. Otherwise,... ain't happenin'.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2523 on: May 13, 2023, 04:57:08 PM »
7.1 rebounds while averaging 36 minutes a game is not elite. If so, Draymond averaging 7.0 in 29 minutes a game (at 5" shorter) would be more elite.

FWIW, I would call Draymond an elite rebounder.  Just like Charles Barkley was at a similar size.  Curry also an excellent rebounder for his size and position.  Underrated part of what made that team so unreal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2524 on: May 13, 2023, 05:49:14 PM »
FWIW, I would call Draymond an elite rebounder.  Just like Charles Barkley was at a similar size.  Curry also an excellent rebounder for his size and position.  Underrated part of what made that team so unreal.

I would not put Draymond Green in the same stratosphere with Barkley as a rebounder or in any other category  offensively. 

feedback