[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146056 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #700 on: October 30, 2022, 08:47:13 AM »
Steph Curry is blaming himself for the Warriors' unlikely loss to the Hornets last night. He said he tried to play "hero ball" down the stretch in regulation, and it cost Golden State the game.

“I can get a way better look than that,” Curry said. “I got wrapped up in trying to ‘hero ball’ my way to a hometown buzzer-beater.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article267889387.html#storylink=cpy

Charlotte beat the defending champs despite playing without its starting backcourt (Ball and Rozier), as well as without accused felon Miles Bridges. The Hornets also were playing the second of a back-to-back, having lost at previously winless Orlando on Friday.

GS figured to romp ... but didn't. Curry was 3-for-13 from deep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #701 on: October 30, 2022, 08:50:50 AM »
Muggs, I'm not worried about those guys, and other individuals, per se. I'm worried that the people we're talking about are "influencers" and/or icons in their fields who are followed by millions.

Anti-Semitism never really went anywhere, but it's back with a fury in the United States. 5 years ago, Nazis took over Charlottesville and chanted, "Jews will not replace us." Things have only gotten worse since then, as many of our "leaders" have proclaimed that America is a "white Christian nation" and tolerance of others is at a multi-decade low.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/10/27/antisemitism-kanye-trump-adidas-jews/

Longtime watchdogs of antisemitism say there is nothing new about the kinds of derogatory comments about Jews that the rapper Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, former president Donald Trump, sundry far-right political candidates and others have made in recent weeks.

But what has struck some experts is how blatant the comments about Jews are at a time when incidents of harassment, vandalism and violence against them have been at their highest levels since at least the 1970s. Recent data already showed that a majority of American Jews fear violence against them.

“Empirically, something is different. The level of public animosity towards Jews is higher than it’s been in recent memory,” Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, said in an interview.

Experts said the climate is the product of a stew of forces including a digital culture that spreads misinformation and hate and right-wing political forces focused on protecting White Christians’ status. Some said current antisemitism is also aggravated by more people downplaying it as merely an interreligious issue instead of a dangerous form of racism; in the past majorities from Germany to America made clear they saw Jews as a distinct and inferior race.

To survivors of even the deadliest attack on Jews in U.S. history — the 2018 massacre at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh — the most urgent worry is that the event, which left 11 dead and at least six wounded, is already fading from public consciousness, crowded out by the dozens of mass shootings that followed.

This is the NBA thread, so that's all I'll have to say here. If we want to continue this conversation, it should have its own thread.

My next post here will attempt to get back to the subject at hand.

Well, you're totally right.  Ye does have influence and antisemitism is definitely as bad as we have seen worldwide for many years.  I'm just surprised Adam Silver hasn't  said anything.  Anyway, back to NBA hoops.  I think the Bucks should try to snag Clarkson or Beasley from Utah. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
Well, you're totally right.  Ye does have influence and antisemitism is definitely as bad as we have seen worldwide for many years.  I'm just surprised Adam Silver hasn't  said anything.  Anyway, back to NBA hoops.  I think the Bucks should try to snag Clarkson or Beasley from Utah.

The Bucks will make a move at the deadline, but they’re looking pretty dang strong right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2022, 10:32:03 AM »
The Nets are almost as big of a disaster as the Lakers.  And the funny thing is Kyrie has actually looked really good.  SImmons isn't simply "rusty".  He's a shell of what he used to be and he was flawed before.  Now maybe he finds his game but he's not close to a 35m a year guy.  That team plays no defense, especially protecting the paint.

Utah has a really interesting situation.  Obviously it's early but they are 5-2 and actually have a few ballers on that roster.  If Ainge truly wants to tank he's probably going to have to get rid of a few guys.

They both have the same fundamental problems. They each have two ball dominant stars, who need the ball in their hands constantly to play their game.

For whatever reason that possessed people in charge, they paired those two ball dominant stars with a 3rd star who is a non-scoring, poor shooting, ball dominant facilitator.

None of whom really care about defense (I actually think Kyrie and Durant put in considerably more effort on defense than Lebron and Westbrook).

It is a horrible setup for a team.

The Nets have Curry coming back, which should help matters, as he can help spread the court for Kyrie and Durant. But the biggest problem is the mentality and style of play of the central stars.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #704 on: October 30, 2022, 10:49:52 AM »
The Bucks will make a move at the deadline, but they’re looking pretty dang strong right now.

I think they've played 4/5 home games. Their offense has been pretty sporadic and mediocre when I've watched them.
Their FGP's are quite low.   Obviously Middleton will help but Holiday needs to be more consistent shooting the rock.  Allen has not impressed me, perhaps Ingjes will help.  But if they can get a proven shooter and scorer at the 2G, in lieu of Allen,  I make that deal.  It could bring them to a dominant level imo. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #705 on: October 30, 2022, 10:54:33 AM »
I think they've played 4/5 home games. Their offense has been pretty sporadic and mediocre when I've watched them.
Their FGP's are quite low.   Obviously Middleton will help but Holiday needs to be more consistent shooting the rock.  Allen has not impressed me, perhaps Ingjes will help.  But if they can get a proven shooter and scorer at the 2G, in lieu of Allen,  I make that deal.  It could bring them to a dominant level imo.

They’re down 3 of their top 4 options at the 2/3 right now (and 3 of their top 4 perimeter shooters) and they’re still looking very good. Their lineup flexibility when those three get healthy is pretty outstanding.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #706 on: October 30, 2022, 11:16:45 AM »
They both have the same fundamental problems. They each have two ball dominant stars, who need the ball in their hands constantly to play their game.

For whatever reason that possessed people in charge, they paired those two ball dominant stars with a 3rd star who is a non-scoring, poor shooting, ball dominant facilitator.

None of whom really care about defense (I actually think Kyrie and Durant put in considerably more effort on defense than Lebron and Westbrook).

The Nets have Curry coming back, which should help matters, as he can help spread the court for Kyrie and Durant. But the biggest problem is the mentality and style of play of the central stars.

This is what I’ve been saying all along. Especially about Durant. He’s always gonna score 30 or so a game, but even with Kyrie also scoring 30, they are only playoff contenders, not title contenders.

They each do one thing very well. But other than their scoring, they are pretty pedestrian players. Getting Curry back will probably help the team just because he is better than who he replaces but I don’t think he will affect KD or Kyrie’s game at all. They are already maxed out.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #707 on: October 30, 2022, 11:26:35 AM »

Excellent post that definitely captures what's going on in both places.

They’re down 3 of their top 4 options at the 2/3 right now (and 3 of their top 4 perimeter shooters) and they’re still looking very good. Their lineup flexibility when those three get healthy is pretty outstanding.

Yessir. At most, the Bucks might need a slight upgrade to their role players. Oh, and of course they need good health for their stars, as does any team. But they are the class of the East IMHO.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #708 on: October 30, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »

Oh, I forgot about Connaughton.  When are he, Middleton, and Ingles supposed to be back?  Ingles at one time was a pretty good overall player, not just a shooter.  It just annoys me that Allen can't make wide open shots.  He has one job. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #709 on: October 30, 2022, 11:37:10 AM »
Oh, I forgot about Connaughton.  When are he, Middleton, and Ingles supposed to be back?  Ingles at one time was a pretty good overall player, not just a shooter.  It just annoys me that Allen can't make wide open shots.  He has one job.

He was great when Middleton was healthy last year. I have confidence he’ll shoot the lights out when he’s offensive option 5 as opposed to 3. He also puts the ball on the deck better than he gets credit for.

Pat and Khris should be back in the next couple weeks. Ingles should be back sometime in January.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #710 on: October 30, 2022, 12:01:38 PM »
He was great when Middleton was healthy last year. I have confidence he’ll shoot the lights out when he’s offensive option 5 as opposed to 3. He also puts the ball on the deck better than he gets credit for.

Pat and Khris should be back in the next couple weeks. Ingles should be back sometime in January.

Perhaps I should be more patient.  It sounds like you think they should stand pat and you may be correct. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #711 on: October 30, 2022, 02:05:36 PM »
Perhaps I should be more patient.

Yes, because you being impatient affects nothing except your stress level.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #712 on: October 30, 2022, 07:55:23 PM »
I see the Clippers are 2-4.  I thought Kawhi was ready to go?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #713 on: October 31, 2022, 08:33:31 AM »
This Cavs team is really fun to watch...they're definitely making me feel better about Bally's ridiculous $20/month price tag to be able to watch the games.* So far, Mitchell is lot better than I realized. It'll be fun to see how they play when Garland returns...hopefully before too long.

*Bally made it up to me a little bit by offering 50% off tickets to this Wednesday's games with no online fees (even though this was open to everyone...not just subscribers). That savings will pay for our subscription for about 50% of the season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #714 on: October 31, 2022, 11:56:21 AM »
This Cavs team is really fun to watch...they're definitely making me feel better about Bally's ridiculous $20/month price tag to be able to watch the games.* So far, Mitchell is lot better than I realized. It'll be fun to see how they play when Garland returns...hopefully before too long.

*Bally made it up to me a little bit by offering 50% off tickets to this Wednesday's games with no online fees (even though this was open to everyone...not just subscribers). That savings will pay for our subscription for about 50% of the season.

I don't see the price as a problem. I can watch Bucks and Brewers all year for the same cost as going to one Bucks game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #715 on: October 31, 2022, 12:29:16 PM »
I don't see the price as a problem. I can watch Bucks and Brewers all year for the same cost as going to one Bucks game.

That's exactly what Bally's people were hoping folks would think!

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #716 on: October 31, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »

Generally agreed, though I think AD still has great value without the ball in his hands, he's an elite defender and can stretch the floor. His health has been more of the issue.

Looking back, trading for Harden and giving up elite rim protector Jarrett Allen in the process was a baffling move by the Nets. Two years later their biggest flaw is still interior defense. Giving away all of your depth and quality role players to add another ball-dominant superstar is no way to build a basketball team.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #717 on: October 31, 2022, 01:01:56 PM »
I see the Clippers are 2-4.  I thought Kawhi was ready to go?

Clippers have one true big and one playmaker, and this smallball approach that Ty Lue has been employing is backfiring because some of the veterans have lost a step and they aren't hitting corner 3s.

Kawhi is ready to go, except on back to backs, road games, and games on days that end in Y.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #718 on: October 31, 2022, 01:34:23 PM »

I would find it less ridiculous if it had the Guardians...but it doesn't. I'm just comparing it to other streaming services that offer a lot more content for a lot less money. I happen to think that it's worth it (roughly $1.25/game), but I still think it's a little ridiculous. In the past I paid ~$75/month and got Cavs and Indians games...along with about 150 other channels. Now I have to pay an extra $20/month for one channel.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 01:39:20 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #719 on: October 31, 2022, 01:37:52 PM »
I would find it less ridiculous if it had the Guardians...but it doesn't. I'm just comparing it to other streaming services that offer a lot more content for a lot less money. I happen to think that it's worth it (roughly $1.25/game), but I still think it's a little ridiculous.

Got it. We’re lucky here. $200 bucks a year for both teams. I might be more hesitant if it were one or the other.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #720 on: October 31, 2022, 10:25:18 PM »
It’s really early, but amusing that 2 of the main contenders to tank for Wemby and Scoot, the Jazz and the Spurs, are 6-2 and 5-2 respectively, to start the season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #721 on: October 31, 2022, 11:20:20 PM »
It’s really early, but amusing that 2 of the main contenders to tank for Wemby and Scoot, the Jazz and the Spurs, are 6-2 and 5-2 respectively, to start the season.

I can't imagine either of these teams will sustain this butt the Jazz do have some good players.  It makes you wonder how they would have done with Mitchell and Golbert?    If they want to be in the Wemby sweep stakes Ainge is going to have to dump some players.  It is pretty amusing. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #722 on: November 01, 2022, 06:25:16 AM »

Pop the GM is gonna have to fire Pop the coach for trying too hard to win!

I'm joking, obviously, but Bill Musselman got fired for just that reason by the Timberwolves after their second season.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #723 on: November 01, 2022, 11:53:49 AM »
Woj is reporting that Steve Nash has been fired.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #724 on: November 01, 2022, 12:17:33 PM »
Woj is reporting that Steve Nash has been fired.

That was quick.

I can see Udoka in Brooklyn but I don't know if he can coach this season. 

feedback