[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 146070 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #475 on: October 18, 2022, 07:36:33 PM »
I never understood why Fuktz and Ball were taken ahead of Tatum.   I mean  Embiid slipping to 3 was also a joke but there were some injuries concerns. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #476 on: October 18, 2022, 08:49:00 PM »
Miserable performance by Embiid tonight. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #477 on: October 18, 2022, 09:13:03 PM »
And most people would agree with that but which roster is better?  I think it's clearly the Celtics if R  Williams is healthy.  They have Tatum, Brown, Brogdan, Smart, White, and maybe Gallanari comes back.  Inside they still have Horford and Grant Williams.  Lopez will be a year older.  I think it's a significant advantage when you have 4 guys minimum that can score not to mention Tatum and Brown may both be better this year. I just feel the Bucks' top 3 have to be great all series in this match-up if everyone is healthy.  The Celtics are also better overall defensively based on last season.   Now it is conceivable Giannis just wrecks everyone in his path but that's a lot to ask against a complete roster.

OK, Muggs, we’ll agree to disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #478 on: October 18, 2022, 09:18:01 PM »
Juan was the first to receive his 2022 NBA Championship ring.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #479 on: October 18, 2022, 09:19:07 PM »
OK, Muggs, we’ll agree to disagree.

Philly won't be a factor.  I can tell that after one game.  I hope you're right about the Bucks.  Cleveland and Atlanta should be interesting this year.   Tatum is no joke MU82.  He's an absolute match-up nightmare and has improved defensively.  He's a legitimate MVP candidate. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 09:21:09 PM by MuggsyB »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #480 on: October 18, 2022, 09:57:47 PM »
Yes, Tatum is real good. He’s no Giannis, but he’s real good.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #481 on: October 18, 2022, 10:21:03 PM »
Yes, Tatum is real good. He’s no Giannis, but he’s real good.

He's not GIanni and he also had a rough NBA Finals.  But he's a top 5 guy and don't forget what he did in G6 in Milwaukee last year. He's the real deal. I'm not so sure when you look at his overall game that you would automatically take Doncic or Jokic ahead of him.  He's a very capable defender and has gotten stronger.  He's not nearly as consistent as Durant at his peak but he can score from any spot on the floor at 6'10.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #482 on: October 18, 2022, 10:33:23 PM »
The primary 5 player line-up I'd like to see at MU would be:

Curry
Doncic
Leonard
Tatum
Antetokounmpo

with a bench of::

Jokic
Durant
Williamson
Wembanyama
Booker

:)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #483 on: October 18, 2022, 10:35:45 PM »
Westbrook looks like complete garbage. 

Maybe he read my text?  Two straight hoops. 

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #484 on: October 19, 2022, 12:12:43 AM »
Westbrook looks like complete garbage. 

Maybe he read my text?  Two straight hoops.

I mean he has 19 pts, 11 rbs, on only 12 shots. Given that he is playing a tertiary role and played off ball a lot, that's a line most would take in a heartbeat.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #485 on: October 19, 2022, 12:19:52 AM »
I mean he has 19 pts, 11 rbs, on only 12 shots. Given that he is playing a tertiary role and played off ball a lot, that's a line most would take in a heartbeat.

That Lakers team is going to struggle.  They're really old and can't defend.  Russ did wind up with one of his better games tonight but the result was never in doubt.  The weapons on the Warriors are ridiculous.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't slow the game down and pound the paint if you have a dominant big vs them. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 12:26:19 AM by MuggsyB »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2022, 08:46:32 AM »
He's not GIanni and he also had a rough NBA Finals.  But he's a top 5 guy and don't forget what he did in G6 in Milwaukee last year. He's the real deal. I'm not so sure when you look at his overall game that you would automatically take Doncic or Jokic ahead of him.  He's a very capable defender and has gotten stronger.  He's not nearly as consistent as Durant at his peak but he can score from any spot on the floor at 6'10.

I think Tatum is a top 10 player, but not quite top 5.

1. Giannis
2. Curry
3. Jokic
4. Embiid
5. Durant
6. Kawhi (if healthy)

Then there's a bit of a dropoff to the next tier. Tatum is side by side with Luka, Jimmy Butler, and an aging Lebron.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #487 on: October 19, 2022, 08:53:37 AM »
I think Tatum is a top 10 player, but not quite top 5.

1. Giannis
2. Curry
3. Jokic
4. Embiid
5. Durant
6. Kawhi (if healthy)

Then there's a bit of a dropoff to the next tier. Tatum is side by side with Luka, Jimmy Butler, and an aging Lebron.

Durant #5? You’ll hear from Wades about that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #488 on: October 19, 2022, 09:17:30 AM »
Durant #5? You’ll hear from Wades about that.

Jocky:
ESPN has Durant as the 8th best player in the NBA.

Apparently, the experts at ESPN are as stupid as I am.

Also Jocky: I SAID HE'S TOP 5!

But yes.  Ask any GM in the world: For this season only, you can have Embiid, Jokic, or KD.  Who you got?  I'd venture to guess 90%+ take KD.

But you know what?  You're right.  Embiid and Jokic have proven they can win titles, while KD has not.  Thus, KD can't be higher than 5 because he can't get that ring and guys like Embiid and Jokic should be ranked higher than him.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:55:00 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #489 on: October 19, 2022, 09:46:34 AM »
I think the overall versatility of Tatum is underrated.  In fact I'm not so sure he and Brown aren't the best duo in the NBA.  They are big, young, strong, can score inside and out, play on or off the ball, defend multiple positions, rebound, and they're experienced.  They're aren't a lot of guys that can do all the things they can do on the floor.  Remember, they're much better defenders than Doncic. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:49:39 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #490 on: October 19, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
I guess I missed that Draymond "took time off" to star, produce, and direct his own mini-documentary about the complexity and trauma he has experienced fron punching a guy in the face. How heartwarming. 

If you have not seen this video it is honestly hysterical!  It's like a good snl skit.  Incredible stuff.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 10:08:31 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2022, 09:51:48 AM »
Jocky:
Also Jocky: I SAID HE'S TOP 5!

But yes.  Ask any GM in the world: For this season only, you can have Embiid, Jokic, or KD.  Who you got?  I'd venture to guess 90%+ take KD.

But you know what?  You're right.  Durant and Jokic have proven they can win titles, while KD has not.  Thus, KD can't be higher than 5 because he can't get that ring and guys like Embiid and Jokic should be ranked higher than him.

Huh?  I'm lost here. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2022, 09:52:40 AM »
Muggs, you're missing the sarcasm.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2022, 09:54:29 AM »
I'm lost.  What exactly has Embiid done in the playoffs.

Exactly.  Jocky loves to point out that any team with KD isn't a title contender (even though he has 2 titles), KD will never be the best player on a title team (even though he was twice), KD can't win a title on his own (because so many players can take what is otherwise a roster like the Jazz have this year and win a title with them), so he claims KD can't be ranked as a top 3 player.  But hey, Jokic and/or Embiid are definitely top 3 players, with all their post season success and all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2022, 09:56:23 AM »
Exactly.  Jocky loves to point out that any team with KD isn't a title contender (even though he has 2 titles), KD will never be the best player on a title team (even though he was twice), KD can't win a title on his own (because so many players can take what is otherwise a roster like the Jazz have this year and win a title with them), so he claims KD can't be ranked as a top 3 player.  But hey, Jokic and/or Embiid are definitely top 3 players, with all their post season success and all.

Ha!  Sorry... I missed the sarcasm.  :)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2022, 10:35:53 AM »
The NBA on TNT is just so good.

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1582382245100146688?s=20&t=PDFQsBEQy0aL4K6dBe57_g

I was thinking while seeing some clips from NBAonTNT on Twitter to celebrate the season starting, what they’ve done with Shaq and Barkley is remarkable.  2 guys who were first ballot HOF, combined 2 MVPs, 26 ASG, 14 First Team All NBA, 2 All Rookie First Team, and 3 Gold Medals….and made them your funny uncles cracking jokes at the family party and annoying your grandparents cause they keep side tracking the conversation.  Younger people know them from running gags and making fun of each other for stat mess ups or messing up players names…not realizing they made the All Time Top 50 list while still playing. It’s incredible

WHAT YOU SAY NOW CHUCK?!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »
The latest update on the troubled James Bouknight, from the Charlotte Observer:

Additional details from police and court records about Charlotte Hornets guard James Bouknight’s arrest from Sunday show he was found unconscious in his car in an uptown parking deck, hit two police vehicles, and had a gun.

He was charged with driving while impaired, according to Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office arrest records. Two days later, in an interview with The Charlotte Observer after a team practice, Bouknight said he’s sorry for his actions: “Honestly, I just wanted to apologize for being a distraction before the start of the season, for my teammates and for what we’ve got going on.”

WSOC, The Charlotte Observer’s news partner, on Wednesday reported officers found Bouknight’s car was in drive at the time and officers said he hit two police vehicles. Citing court records, WSOC reported officers used a PA system, airhorns and lights in an attempt to wake him up.

According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police report, Bouknight was found just before 1 a.m. in a multi-story parking garage connected to apartments, a grocery store and the Stonewall Station light rail stop. Police radio communications, obtained from Broadcastify, indicate first responders from Medic, Charlotte Fire and CMPD attempted to rouse Bouknight and have him open the locked car.

When officers ran his car’s tag and ownership information, they learned Bouknight was the owner and that he had a pending concealed carry permit. Open carry is allowed under North Carolina law in cases where the gun is considered legal and the person is not banned from having a firearm.

WSOC reported: “Bouknight also told a paramedic at the scene that he had approximately four shots of tequila before driving home, according to court documents. A breathalyzer test later confirmed his blood alcohol content was a 0.14.”

The Charlotte Observer reported Monday that Bouknight had been released on a $2,500 bond. Sheriff’s records show the 22-year-old was arrested by CMPD just before 2 a.m. Sunday.

Already, Bouknight was expected to appear in court in North Carolina later this month for a previous violation. Bouknight has several pending charges in Cabarrus County from November, including speeding and reckless driving. He was cited for driving 107 mph in a 65 mph zone, public records show.

+++

Somebody please take away this guy's driver's license and impound his vehicles. He is a menace to society, at least on Charlotte's roads.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #497 on: October 19, 2022, 02:09:10 PM »
I think the overall versatility of Tatum is underrated.  In fact I'm not so sure he and Brown aren't the best duo in the NBA.  They are big, young, strong, can score inside and out, play on or off the ball, defend multiple positions, rebound, and they're experienced.  They're aren't a lot of guys that can do all the things they can do on the floor.  Remember, they're much better defenders than Doncic.

The NBA talent is spread around in a way that I don't think there is a clear top duo in the league.  There isn't a James/Wade, Curry/Durant, or Magic/Kareem superstar pairing.

As for Tatum, I already factored his defense into my assessment.  I also factored in his middling assist rate (20-22% the last two years) compared to Luka's assist rate north of 40%.

Tatum is a very good player, definitely top 10 in my opinion.  But I think there are 6 players a step above him.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #498 on: October 19, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »
The NBA talent is spread around in a way that I don't think there is a clear top duo in the league.  There isn't a James/Wade, Curry/Durant, or Magic/Kareem superstar pairing.

As for Tatum, I already factored his defense into my assessment.  I also factored in his middling assist rate (20-22% the last two years) compared to Luka's assist rate north of 40%.

Tatum is a very good player, definitely top 10 in my opinion.  But I think there are 6 players a step above him.

That's fine and a lot of people agree with you.  I was a little surprised that Embiid (who is in your top 5) was average for most of the gane last night with Noah Vonleh as his primary defender.  I get he was doubled and this was just one game, but on paper this should be a contest he dominates.  Maybe part of this is poor coaching by Doc?   I think my 10 in no particular order would be:

Giannis
Curry
Tatum
Doncic
Leonard
Morant
Jokic
Embiid
Durant
James

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #499 on: October 19, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »
The latest update on the troubled James Bouknight, from the Charlotte Observer:

Additional details from police and court records about Charlotte Hornets guard James Bouknight’s arrest from Sunday show he was found unconscious in his car in an uptown parking deck, hit two police vehicles, and had a gun.

He was charged with driving while impaired, according to Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office arrest records. Two days later, in an interview with The Charlotte Observer after a team practice, Bouknight said he’s sorry for his actions: “Honestly, I just wanted to apologize for being a distraction before the start of the season, for my teammates and for what we’ve got going on.”

WSOC, The Charlotte Observer’s news partner, on Wednesday reported officers found Bouknight’s car was in drive at the time and officers said he hit two police vehicles. Citing court records, WSOC reported officers used a PA system, airhorns and lights in an attempt to wake him up.

According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police report, Bouknight was found just before 1 a.m. in a multi-story parking garage connected to apartments, a grocery store and the Stonewall Station light rail stop. Police radio communications, obtained from Broadcastify, indicate first responders from Medic, Charlotte Fire and CMPD attempted to rouse Bouknight and have him open the locked car.

When officers ran his car’s tag and ownership information, they learned Bouknight was the owner and that he had a pending concealed carry permit. Open carry is allowed under North Carolina law in cases where the gun is considered legal and the person is not banned from having a firearm.

WSOC reported: “Bouknight also told a paramedic at the scene that he had approximately four shots of tequila before driving home, according to court documents. A breathalyzer test later confirmed his blood alcohol content was a 0.14.”

The Charlotte Observer reported Monday that Bouknight had been released on a $2,500 bond. Sheriff’s records show the 22-year-old was arrested by CMPD just before 2 a.m. Sunday.

Already, Bouknight was expected to appear in court in North Carolina later this month for a previous violation. Bouknight has several pending charges in Cabarrus County from November, including speeding and reckless driving. He was cited for driving 107 mph in a 65 mph zone, public records show.

+++

Somebody please take away this guy's driver's license and impound his vehicles. He is a menace to society, at least on Charlotte's roads.

completely agree but unfortunately it depends on the DA and the judge.  they've been letting out a lot worse for less than this. 
don't...don't don't don't don't