* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Final Four consolation rooting  (Read 5144 times)

MUMountin

• All American
Re: Final Four consolation rooting
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2024, 11:18:03 PM »
Nah, screw UConn.   The more success they have, the more dominant they will be forever.

First there was Nova, sucking up all the oxygen in the conference, now it's UConn.  Great, great.

My thinking, though, is that if Hurley wins two in a row in dominant fashion, he might think about moving to the NBA (maybe not right away, but for such a competitive/driven guy, you wonder if he'll at some point feel like he wants to take on the next challenge).

Conversely, if Hurley wins another one and stays, my guess is that would just make Shaka all the more driven--he thrives/motivates best when he is an underdog. 

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2024, 11:45:40 PM »
Purdue because Paint's the man and I got my PhD there.  BTFU!!!!

Brian0230

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2024, 01:07:00 AM »
Hoping Purdue - UConn final..otherwise will be a blowout.

I think if it’s somehow ends up UConn - nc state, it will be the biggest blowout of all time. Nc state could play the game of their lives and still lose by 30.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2024, 12:37:26 PM »
Hoping Purdue - UConn final..otherwise will be a blowout.

I think if it’s somehow ends up UConn - nc state, it will be the biggest blowout of all time. Nc state could play the game of their lives and still lose by 30.
Or UCONN could shoot 12% from 3s. >:(

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2024, 12:45:41 PM »
Purdue, UConn are on the same level as MU in how much they care about hoops, so either of those two. It would be funny to see the B10 lose again.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2024, 12:47:47 PM »
Or UCONN could shoot 12% from 3swhile shooting 30% more threes than normal. >:(

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 01:51:56 PM »
I’d also like to see the Purdue-UConn matchup in the finals to see what Hurley can come up with to contain Edey.

This. Edey hasn't gone up against a defender like Clingan. It would be pretty fascinating to see how both teams approach this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nutty

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2024, 01:54:07 PM »
Purdue, UConn are on the same level as MU in how much they care about hoops, so either of those two. It would be funny to see the B10 lose again.

Why do you care if the B10 loses again?  I don't think even B10 fanbases are cheering for other B10 teams, and I think most of them hate Edey and Purdue anyway. 

I never want to see rivals win anything, especially conference rivals.  Let them all lose.  Hopefully in a spectacularly painful way.  Twist that knife. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2024, 02:27:59 PM »
Or UCONN could shoot 12% from 3s. >:(

Will the ball be grossly overinflated again?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2024, 03:53:49 PM »
Will the ball be grossly overinflated again?
Will UCONN fail to shake their hands?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2024, 05:29:27 PM »
This. Edey hasn't gone up against a defender like Clingan. It would be pretty fascinating to see how both teams approach this.

That would be a great matchup; definitely 2 of the best 3 teams all year. Can't ask for much more since MU didn't accept its invite to the party.

The Clingan-Edey matchup is very compelling. Neither often runs into people with similar size and ability. My one concern from UConn's standpoint would be if Clingan picks up two quick fouls. I would hope the refs let them play as you could call fouls on every possession I'm sure. Clingan has, at times, had a propensity to get two early. Aside from that, I feel pretty confident that UConn's lineup overall is stronger, and they really don't have a weak spot at any position.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2024, 12:18:38 AM »
That would be a great matchup; definitely 2 of the best 3 teams all year. Can't ask for much more since MU didn't accept its invite to the party.

The Clingan-Edey matchup is very compelling. Neither often runs into people with similar size and ability. My one concern from UConn's standpoint would be if Clingan picks up two quick fouls. I would hope the refs let them play as you could call fouls on every possession I'm sure. Clingan has, at times, had a propensity to get two early. Aside from that, I feel pretty confident that UConn's lineup overall is stronger, and they really don't have a weak spot at any position.

Good point on possible fouls. If Edey can do to Clingan what he has done t numerous centers he's faced - get him in foul trouble - it definitely could change the game.

I agree about UConn not having weak spots, but I'd bet the difference in UConn's metrics this season with and without Clingan on the court is pretty telling. (Maybe Scoopers who know how to get such stats will chime in.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2024, 05:42:16 AM »
Why do you care if the B10 loses again?  I don't think even B10 fanbases are cheering for other B10 teams, and I think most of them hate Edey and Purdue anyway. 

I never want to see rivals win anything, especially conference rivals.  Let them all lose.  Hopefully in a spectacularly painful way.  Twist that knife.

When you are told by many B10 fans that Marquette plays in a “mid major” conference, you don’t mind when they lose every championship game.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2024, 07:33:00 PM »
When you are told by many B10 fans that Marquette plays in a “mid major” conference, you don’t mind when they lose every championship game.

Agreed.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2024, 07:39:17 PM »

Well stated

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2024, 07:05:01 AM »
My thinking, though, is that if Hurley wins two in a row in dominant fashion, he might think about moving to the NBA (maybe not right away, but for such a competitive/driven guy, you wonder if he'll at some point feel like he wants to take on the next challenge).

Conversely, if Hurley wins another one and stays, my guess is that would just make Shaka all the more driven--he thrives/motivates best when he is an underdog.
Then he better start getting guys that can compete with UConn
 We didn't this year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2024, 07:33:06 AM »
27-6.   MU's record against teams not playing for the national championship. That is a really good record. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2024, 08:37:57 AM »
27-6.   MU's record against teams not playing for the national championship. That is a really good record.

27-5 against teams who didn’t play in the Final Four.  Should we hang a banner? 

Yes it was a good season but we fell short 3x against the elites and lost to an inferior State team. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2024, 08:40:14 AM »
4 times.  MU was clearly a top 10 yeam and an argument can be made for top 5.  A good season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2024, 08:44:12 AM »
4 times.  MU was clearly a top 10 yeam and an argument can be made for top 5.  A good season.

Yes, BET too. And we went down in one of our worst performances in years when we could have made it better than just a good season. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2024, 08:48:00 AM »
Yes, BET too. And we went down in one of our worst performances in years when we could have made it better than just a good season.

It wasn’t even the worst performance this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2024, 09:29:48 AM »

Now that the excitement and anticipation of NC State’s run has ended with a convincing loss, I wonder if anyone who said last week that they would rather have had NC State’s season than Marquette’s would have second thoughts in that.

I think my perspective in this is affected significantly by being a season ticket holder.

If I’m going to spend the money, time, and emotional energy to attend 15 plus games a year, I want those games to be entertaining and competitive, and have some significance toward a higher goal, like an NCAA tournament run or a conference championship.

For the last 3 years I feel like I’ve gotten that (in varying degrees) even if the seasons have had a disappointing ending. I like being confident that the team is going to make the NCAA tournament well before Selection Sunday instead of being a bubble team all season or, even worse, knowing well before March that the only way to make the field is an unlikely conference tournament title.

I also prefer having a team with a mix of players who have either been in the program for a few years or have the possibility of being on the team for 2 or 3 years over one made up entirely of transfers who won’t be in the program for more than 1 or 2 years at most.

Being a Marquette season ticket holder the last 3 years has been a great sports entertainment value.

wiscwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2024, 09:44:38 AM »
Now that the excitement and anticipation of NC State’s run has ended with a convincing loss, I wonder if anyone who said last week that they would rather have had NC State’s season than Marquette’s would have second thoughts in that.

I think my perspective in this is affected significantly by being a season ticket holder.

If I’m going to spend the money, time, and emotional energy to attend 15 plus games a year, I want those games to be entertaining and competitive, and have some significance toward a higher goal, like an NCAA tournament run or a conference championship.

For the last 3 years I feel like I’ve gotten that (in varying degrees) even if the seasons have had a disappointing ending. I like being confident that the team is going to make the NCAA tournament well before Selection Sunday instead of being a bubble team all season or, even worse, knowing well before March that the only way to make the field is an unlikely conference tournament title.

I also prefer having a team with a mix of players who have either been in the program for a few years or have the possibility of being on the team for 2 or 3 years over one made up entirely of transfers who won’t be in the program for more than 1 or 2 years at most.

Being a Marquette season ticket holder the last 3 years has been a great sports entertainment value.

I was a season ticket holder for 30 years so I completely understand your perspective and even though I'm no longer a season ticket holder, I agree with you. Watching teams grow together over the years (Oso, Stevie, Kim, Tyler, etc.) sure beats watching a bunch of mercenaries come together at the end of the season and go on a run. Especially knowing you're going to start over next year.

That does not mean that you can't bring in the occasional transfer to fill a need if he fits your culture.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2024, 10:14:41 AM »

In the past 3 years, I’d have rather have been NC State this week. Would rather have been MU the other 2 years, 11 months, and 3 weeks.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2024, 10:44:57 AM »
I was a season ticket holder for 30 years so I completely understand your perspective and even though I'm no longer a season ticket holder, I agree with you. Watching teams grow together over the years (Oso, Stevie, Kim, Tyler, etc.) sure beats watching a bunch of mercenaries come together at the end of the season and go on a run. Especially knowing you're going to start over next year.

That does not mean that you can't bring in the occasional transfer to fill a need if he fits your culture.

Why wouldn’t a transfer want to come here if our fans are going to label them “mercenaries?”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback