* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:12:15 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023-2024 Season Grades  (Read 3702 times)

1SE

• All American
2023-2024 Season Grades
« on: March 30, 2024, 04:59:42 AM »
Was hoping to do this in April, but here we are. Like always, the grades are on the body of work, but the final exam is heavily weighted. Anyway... here we go

Starters

Oso Ighodaro: B-*

Played some really brilliant basketball that had folks talking about lottery pick (despite no 3 ball) but completely disappeared in the NCAAT. Just baffling. I can't count the number of times I commented on him walking up the court in the tourney. A "*" if there was an injury or some personal circumstances, but otherwise Oso didn't show up when it mattered, period.

Kam Jones: A-

Krafty Kam is always an absolute bucket, but this year also really stepped up his D and distributing. A huge part of why we didn't suffer a complete breakdown when TK was out. But, still, a streaky shooter and the cannon went cold when we needed him the most. Only 1 person picked in the pre-season poll that he'd be NBA bound. Hopefully we can match whatever bag he is offered him and we get to see one more season of killer Kam. We'll need him.

TKO: A+

A stud. I thought he was almost going to be able to play 1 on 5 and get us to the EE. A true warrior the likes of which we won't see again for quite a while. Heartbroken for him, more than anyone, that we went out like we did. Thanks for everything Tyler.

Stevie: A

All this from last year Glue guy extreme - I think the most passion of anyone on the team. I don't know if I saw bad body language from him once this season. Only knock is a slight tendency to try and create when he's the clear 5th offensive option. Usually he saved that for when nothing else was going on, but could press a bit at times. Love having him on the roster. but actually added a little more O edge to his game this year. Could easily be an A+ but I don't want to get accused of grade inflation. That said, him missing that first wide open three from the corner was a tone-setter. Don't hold it against him, but man, what might of been if that had dropped.

Jop Wagon: B-

Dr. Jop Wagon and Mr. Hide. I haven't gone back and combed the splits, but "Good Jop/Bad Jop" must have aligned very closely with our Ws and Ls. Maddening that he didn't build on last year to develop some consistency. Amazing that a high-level, D1 player, looks like he has the handle of a 5th grader every time he tries to take it into the lane. D was elevated and at times he grabbed some real man rebounds - but he just needs to be a positive presence EVERY game. NCST speaks for itself. Woof.

Bench Rotation

Ben Gold: B

Like Jop, flashes of what could be. At his best, a stretch that can also put it on the floor. Defense also improved. But that pancake shot is never going to be consistent. Also, its unclear that he can be the physical presence he'd need to be to play the 5 game-in and game-out. I'd also love to see the splits on the twin-towers line up, but I never felt like it produced amazing stretches of basketball. Ultimately, not sure if he can be more than a role player.

Chase: B

Another guy who didn't take the step up that he needed, or at least, did so very inconsistently. I thought Colorado was his best game of the year, and we probably didn't make the S16 without him. But also went through some maddeningly inept stretches, particularly on the offensive end. The flashes of Association potential remain and let's hope he can step up in the starter's role and take a major leap forward. Making the NCAAT in 2025 depends on it.

Sean Jones: Inc.

What a motor. Loved his energy but also not always clear he was as net positive when his minutes meant TK was off the floor. All the best for a full recovery and I hope we get another chance to see him on the floor in a MU uniform.

The Freshmen: B+

Are freshmen. But by and large did what Shaka asked them to do. Made major contributions to keeping the boat afloat during the various injuries. I am cautiously optimistic, but they both need to take the steps forward that we hoped Jop and Chase and Ben would but didn't. Can't believe they - especially Zaide - didn't see the floor against NCST - how could he possibly have played worse than 1st half Jop.

Shaka: B

Again, the hardest for last. Unlike last year, where his pre-NCAAT work shattered expectations, this year we turned in about what we thought, although a bit more credit because we did deal with the injury bug. Being a top-10 team for most of the year, earning a second straight 2 seed, winning some major non-con games, good Kenpom metrics, etc. are all incredibly laudable achievements. Love the culture he's built. Love his genuineness.

But....

Despite the love-fest by so many on this board, this is three years in a row where our season is ending with an incredibly bad taste in the mouth. Yes, it's great that we took a step forward and made the S16, but that should be almost automatic for a 2 seed - I don't think there are any particular additional accolades for making the S16 if you've already received kudos for getting the 2 seed. Yes the guys shot terrible, but that's not an exogenous event. Prepping guys so they are calm and ready to perform at their peak is the coach's job. Other than Tyler, and maybe Stevie, our guys were not ready to play against NCST. That's on Shaka. Just like they weren't ready for MSU. Just like they weren't ready for UNC. Shaka has met or exceeded expectations in all aspects of the program expect in the Tournament. There was a great chance this year to make the EE and beyond, but we didn't get it done. The good news is, Shaka has shown us that what he's built can put us in position in March, year in and year out. But he has to deliver. Once again, a lot of what I wrote last year remains true - but how many years in a row can we write this?

Can't avoid the elephant in the room. Last night was the final exam and Shaka failed. The stretch. 17:25 to 7:47. 3 points. 12-3 MSU "run" in a 60 point game. Yes we missed some open looks but ultimately the totality of it falls on the boss. No time outs left in his pocket. No Gold freshmen. No great creativity to get something going on the offensive end. I think that stretch single-handedly moves him from an "A" to a "B+" on the season. Especially coming after a start where we came out looking like we had no idea what we are doing. The moment might have been a bit big for the guys, but that's where Shaka needs to prep them - it shouldn't have been too big for him.

I'm 100% Yahka, but let's remember he was encouraged to leave Texas because of his NCAA record. At the end of the day, wins in the tournament are the most important metric of coaching success. Shaka will get us there most every year, and he has a VERY long leash for NCAA success, but ultimately his tenure at MU will be defined by the presence or absence of deep runs in March and April. This season was a golden opportunity for one of those and it slipped through our fingers. Until we get over that hump he still has something to prove.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

DoctorV

• All American
Re: 2023-2024 Season Grades
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 09:48:48 AM »
Great stuff 1SE.

Really enjoyed reading it.

If that’s the quality you’re going to bring, you should post more.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 08:19:42 PM »
Was hoping to do this in April, but here we are. Like always, the grades are on the body of work, but the final exam is heavily weighted. Anyway... here we go

Starters

Oso Ighodaro: B-*

Played some really brilliant basketball that had folks talking about lottery pick (despite no 3 ball) but completely disappeared in the NCAAT. Just baffling. I can't count the number of times I commented on him walking up the court in the tourney. A "*" if there was an injury or some personal circumstances, but otherwise Oso didn't show up when it mattered, period.

Kam Jones: A-

Krafty Kam is always an absolute bucket, but this year also really stepped up his D and distributing. A huge part of why we didn't suffer a complete breakdown when TK was out. But, still, a streaky shooter and the cannon went cold when we needed him the most. Only 1 person picked in the pre-season poll that he'd be NBA bound. Hopefully we can match whatever bag he is offered him and we get to see one more season of killer Kam. We'll need him.

TKO: A+

A stud. I thought he was almost going to be able to play 1 on 5 and get us to the EE. A true warrior the likes of which we won't see again for quite a while. Heartbroken for him, more than anyone, that we went out like we did. Thanks for everything Tyler.

Stevie: A

All this from last year Glue guy extreme - I think the most passion of anyone on the team. I don't know if I saw bad body language from him once this season. Only knock is a slight tendency to try and create when he's the clear 5th offensive option. Usually he saved that for when nothing else was going on, but could press a bit at times. Love having him on the roster. but actually added a little more O edge to his game this year. Could easily be an A+ but I don't want to get accused of grade inflation. That said, him missing that first wide open three from the corner was a tone-setter. Don't hold it against him, but man, what might of been if that had dropped.

Jop Wagon: B-

Dr. Jop Wagon and Mr. Hide. I haven't gone back and combed the splits, but "Good Jop/Bad Jop" must have aligned very closely with our Ws and Ls. Maddening that he didn't build on last year to develop some consistency. Amazing that a high-level, D1 player, looks like he has the handle of a 5th grader every time he tries to take it into the lane. D was elevated and at times he grabbed some real man rebounds - but he just needs to be a positive presence EVERY game. NCST speaks for itself. Woof.

Bench Rotation

Ben Gold: B

Like Jop, flashes of what could be. At his best, a stretch that can also put it on the floor. Defense also improved. But that pancake shot is never going to be consistent. Also, its unclear that he can be the physical presence he'd need to be to play the 5 game-in and game-out. I'd also love to see the splits on the twin-towers line up, but I never felt like it produced amazing stretches of basketball. Ultimately, not sure if he can be more than a role player.

Chase: B

Another guy who didn't take the step up that he needed, or at least, did so very inconsistently. I thought Colorado was his best game of the year, and we probably didn't make the S16 without him. But also went through some maddeningly inept stretches, particularly on the offensive end. The flashes of Association potential remain and let's hope he can step up in the starter's role and take a major leap forward. Making the NCAAT in 2025 depends on it.

Sean Jones: Inc.

What a motor. Loved his energy but also not always clear he was as net positive when his minutes meant TK was off the floor. All the best for a full recovery and I hope we get another chance to see him on the floor in a MU uniform.

The Freshmen: B+

Are freshmen. But by and large did what Shaka asked them to do. Made major contributions to keeping the boat afloat during the various injuries. I am cautiously optimistic, but they both need to take the steps forward that we hoped Jop and Chase and Ben would but didn't. Can't believe they - especially Zaide - didn't see the floor against NCST - how could he possibly have played worse than 1st half Jop.

Shaka: B

Again, the hardest for last. Unlike last year, where his pre-NCAAT work shattered expectations, this year we turned in about what we thought, although a bit more credit because we did deal with the injury bug. Being a top-10 team for most of the year, earning a second straight 2 seed, winning some major non-con games, good Kenpom metrics, etc. are all incredibly laudable achievements. Love the culture he's built. Love his genuineness.

But....

Despite the love-fest by so many on this board, this is three years in a row where our season is ending with an incredibly bad taste in the mouth. Yes, it's great that we took a step forward and made the S16, but that should be almost automatic for a 2 seed - I don't think there are any particular additional accolades for making the S16 if you've already received kudos for getting the 2 seed. Yes the guys shot terrible, but that's not an exogenous event. Prepping guys so they are calm and ready to perform at their peak is the coach's job. Other than Tyler, and maybe Stevie, our guys were not ready to play against NCST. That's on Shaka. Just like they weren't ready for MSU. Just like they weren't ready for UNC. Shaka has met or exceeded expectations in all aspects of the program expect in the Tournament. There was a great chance this year to make the EE and beyond, but we didn't get it done. The good news is, Shaka has shown us that what he's built can put us in position in March, year in and year out. But he has to deliver. Once again, a lot of what I wrote last year remains true - but how many years in a row can we write this?

Can't avoid the elephant in the room. Last night was the final exam and Shaka failed. The stretch. 17:25 to 7:47. 3 points. 12-3 MSU "run" in a 60 point game. Yes we missed some open looks but ultimately the totality of it falls on the boss. No time outs left in his pocket. No Gold freshmen. No great creativity to get something going on the offensive end. I think that stretch single-handedly moves him from an "A" to a "B+" on the season. Especially coming after a start where we came out looking like we had no idea what we are doing. The moment might have been a bit big for the guys, but that's where Shaka needs to prep them - it shouldn't have been too big for him.

I'm 100% Yahka, but let's remember he was encouraged to leave Texas because of his NCAA record. At the end of the day, wins in the tournament are the most important metric of coaching success. Shaka will get us there most every year, and he has a VERY long leash for NCAA success, but ultimately his tenure at MU will be defined by the presence or absence of deep runs in March and April. This season was a golden opportunity for one of those and it slipped through our fingers. Until we get over that hump he still has something to prove.

You are way off.
Oso C
Jop C
GooollllldBrick C
Stevie B+

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2024, 08:29:11 PM »
Texas fired Rick Barnes too. Is he a good coach?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 08:32:26 PM »
Texas fired Rick Barnes too. Is he a good coach?

No
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2024, 09:12:47 PM »
Oso A- during the regular season.   C- in tourney
Jolpin C- Looked lost. 
Stevie C+  A- Def
Gold C+
Freshmen C-

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 10:30:05 PM »
No

Thanks for the clarification. That seemed like the logical conclusion.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2024, 10:39:48 PM »
No way the freshmen deserve a B.

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 11:06:28 PM »
The Freshman B+? Al played 37 more minutes than Jonah Lucas. Zac and Tre combined for 44 baskets, slightly more than 1 per game. I'm as hopeful for a second year jump as everyone else on the board but if their play was as good as your grade, there would be far less portal begging going on.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 06:46:41 AM »
A for everything.
Conference standing - 2nd
Big East Tournament - 2nd
Sweet Sixteen
Top Ten ranking for 95% of season.
Go Marquette and reload!
F-em!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2024, 07:53:47 AM »
A for everything.
Conference standing - 2nd
Big East Tournament - 2nd
Sweet Sixteen
Top Ten ranking for 95% of season.
Go Marquette and reload!
F-em!
The reloading better start now. And should include Oso and Kolek coming back. Let's face it. MU cannot compete with elite teams because their roster is not elite. Only player that is elite is Kolek because he has elite court vision and distribution skills. Kam is a notch below that. If Kolek is gone, then this team will struggle next year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 07:59:09 AM »
Kolek for sure is gone. Oso very likely as well. Just get used to it now.

And they will be a tournament team next year regardless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2024, 08:02:21 AM »
Kolek for sure is gone. Oso very likely as well. Just get used to it now.

And they will be a tournament team next year regardless.
Really? You don't know they will be a tourney team. Oh,I forgot, since you say so it will happen.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2024, 08:03:31 AM »
I actually thought Shaka had a much better year than last season. Fought through a series of major injuries. Maintained a top offense while moving the defense into a Top 20. 2nd in Hawaii and BE/BET. Sweet 16 despite injuries in the year end. He was much improved and was outstanding in game situationals (chessmaster in the BET, NCAAT). A+

While my critiques of his philosophy are still there (and why we again bowed out), what a tremendous person and leader for our program. One losing game doesn't define him after this successful journey so far putting together this team.

As for the next level and how this transition unfolds, it will be an interesting next few months.

Zog from Margo

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 08:04:33 AM »
The reloading better start now. And should include Oso and Kolek coming back. Let's face it. MU cannot compete with elite teams because their roster is not elite. Only player that is elite is Kolek because he has elite court vision and distribution skills. Kam is a notch below that. If Kolek is gone, then this team will struggle next year.

I believe UConn will lose Newton, Spencer, and Diarra (seniors) and likely will lose Castle and Clingan (lottery picks). Is the remaining roster elite? MU isn’t the only team losing players. MU will be fine, particularly if Kam returns.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 08:07:58 AM »
Really? You don't know they will be a tourney team. Oh,I forgot, since you say so it will happen.

Uh…. You made a prediction they would “struggle.” I made a prediction they would be a tourney team. As with all predictions, no one actually knows anything until it happens.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 08:10:01 AM »

I believe UConn will lose Newton, Spencer, and Diarra (seniors) and likely will lose Castle and Clingan (lottery picks). Is the remaining roster elite? MU isn’t the only team losing players. MU will be fine, particularly if Kam returns.

They are losing a lot........but it is a little more satisfying going into a potential rebuild when your talented, veteran team accomplished the mission (final 4, champ game) in march.......

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 08:13:04 AM »
Uh…. You made a prediction they would “struggle.” I made a prediction they would be a tourney team. As with all predictions, no one actually knows anything until it happens.
You are right there. But I feel very confident this team will struggle without Kolek next year. Hope they make the tourney but unless Shaka lands some studs from portal, they are likely one and done

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 08:13:57 AM »
You are right there. But I feel very confident this team will struggle without Kolek next year. Hope they make the tourney but unless Shaka lands some studs from portal, they are likely one and done

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=66065.0

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2024, 08:18:47 AM »
I actually thought Shaka had a much better year than last season. Fought through a series of major injuries. Maintained a top offense while moving the defense into a Top 20. 2nd in Hawaii and BE/BET. Sweet 16 despite injuries in the year end. He was much improved and was outstanding in game situationals (chessmaster in the BET, NCAAT). A+

While my critiques of his philosophy are still there (and why we again bowed out), what a tremendous person and leader for our program. One losing game doesn't define him after this successful journey so far putting together this team.

As for the next level and how this transition unfolds, it will be an interesting next few months.

Yep.  Shaka had a great year and so did the team.  Something to build off for sure.  As disappointing as how the last loss of the season happened the rest of the season was an A.  I have no doubt his tenure will bring us to the promised land.  Hope he is here for the next ten years.  Have a good summer!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2024, 08:22:57 AM »
They are losing a lot........but it is a little more satisfying going into a potential rebuild when your talented, veteran team accomplished the mission (final 4, champ game) in march.......
UConn will reload. I like Shaka but Hurley is a better coach with a punch able face. He definitely enhances the BEast.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2024, 08:26:01 AM »
UConn will reload. I like Shaka but Hurley is a better coach with a punch able face. He definitely enhances the BEast.

Chatted with a Nova alum on the ski lift yesterday.  Hurley gets a lot of respect from BE fans, and rightfully so.

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2024, 08:32:09 AM »

IMO they will struggle at times but come around at the end.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2024, 08:51:17 AM »
Oso: D+, better learn Chinese, pal

TyKo: C, would be higher but is soft for sitting out the Big East tourney

Kam: C-, got tired running the point, hit a treadmill, fatty

Stevie: D, D as in Dung

Gold: F, go back to Australia brick

Jolp: F, wish we had Leon Bond instead

Chase: C-, would be lower but I’m an easy grader

Sean: F, completely disappeared the second half of the season

Zaire: F, bust

Tre: F, bust

Al:F, bust

Edit: Someone mentioned I forgot Ramsey.  He gets an A despite being invisible

Shaka: D-, would be lower but made the Sweet 16.  Not using the portal to bring in an aircraft carrier and a lights out shooter is one of the greatest failures in Marquette basketball history.  Not sure he’s the guy.  His recruits stink and no one seems to get better under him.  Dark times await
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 09:06:11 AM by Uncle Rico »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2024, 08:56:34 AM »
Uncle Rico
Grade A+ Satire

Really captured the angst of this board.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2024, 09:06:10 AM »
Rico, love it. But I think there are actual “fans” that would embrace that truth! 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2024, 09:32:45 AM »
I am assuming Kolek and Oso are gone, what I am worrying about is what happens with Kam Jones.
With Kam we are back to the Markus Howard year, where one guard dominates the ball and scores 25 points a game.
Without Kam we will be glad we did not kick DePaul out of the Big East.
Of course this will change, if we actually bring in contributing players from the portal, but I will believe that when I see it.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2024, 09:58:14 AM »
I have a number of comments to the OP but I won't quote the whole thing and will break my comments into separate posts.

First, on the player grades, I don't have much to say as long as it's understood that they are based on expectations for the player instead of some absolute scale.

I agree with those who have said that the freshmen don't deserve a B, much less a B+. I would give them a C or an incomplete. Maybe they did what they were asked to do, but I don't know if their minimal playing time was based on not being given an opportunity or not showing in practice they they earned and deserved more time. Norman and Lowery both had their good moments, but didn't show enough to know if they will be able to take on the greatly increased roles that have to be filled by somebody next year.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2024, 10:34:09 AM »
I also want to comment about the "injury bug" that was alluded to in the comments about Shaka.

Expectations for this year were sky high based on last year's performance and everyone but OMax returning. But, we have to recognize that last year's team had exceptionally good luck with injuries and that that was not likely to be repeated.

I am reminded of this when the graphic pops up on TV that Purdue has had the same starting lineup in every game this year. That can be taken as a sign of stability, but it's also a sign of improbable good fortune.

MU had this kind of good fortune last year when Kolek, Mitchell, Oso, Omax, and Kam Jones started all 36 games. On top of that, Joplin, Gold, and Ross appeared in all 36 games, and Sean Jones played in 33, missing a few with the wrist injury that eventually led to his offseason surgery.

I don't think you can overstate how valuable that kind of continuity can be. But, the story has been quite different this year. Only 1 player (Joplin) started all 37 games, and only one other (Gold) appeared in all 37. The team had many more injuries that caused players to miss games and/or play at less than full strength even more than the usual wear and tear of a long season.

Some specifics:

Gold- Even though he played in every game, the shin splints that caused him to miss the games on the foreign trip and drills through much of the preseason likely slowed whatever progress he might have made this year.

Mitchell- Missed 4 games (including the Big East opener at Providence with the hamstring injury and was hampered by the wrist and shoulder injuries later in the season.

Kam Jones- Missed 2 games completely with the ankle injury (counting the Seton Hall game where he tried to go but obviously couldn't) and played reduced minutes for a few games after. There were times when it was apparent that the ankle still bothered him.

Ross- Essentially missed 6 full games (including the one in which he was injured) with the shoulder injury and was hampered in other games with the flu and a lower leg injury that was never fully disclosed. I think those things all were factors in him not taking as big a step forward as we had hoped. He was inconsistent but came up huge several times.

Sean Jones- He has no luck except for bad. Seemed poised to take on a bigger role before his season ended.

Kolek- Fought back from the ankle sprain to have a huge game at Illinois and his oblique injury obviously affected the team in the 6  6 games before the NCAA, but they still won some tough ones without him.

Oso- Just missed the one game with the flu but he did have some injury issues coming out of the BET. We'll never know how much his puzzling play in the NCAA was affected by those physical issues.

Maybe none of these things affected the disappointing loss to NC State. But when you factor in all of these disruptions that affect rotations and roles, the team's overall performance looks more impressive.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2024, 10:37:21 AM »
I agree with Dr. B. Shaka had an outstanding year this year and was a steady hand at the wheel.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2024, 10:50:01 AM »
Finally, about Shaka.

I couldn't disagree more with the statement " wins in the NCAA are the most important metric of coaching success".

While this may be true for many fans and members of the media, I can pretty much guarantee that it is not the most important metric for Shaka's employer, who is who he should be most concerned about.

I would bet that if the next 10 years play out like the last 3, making the NCAA tournament every year and winning a conference title or two, Shaka will not be in any danger of being fired based on the team's performance in the tournament. The Buzz Williams era should remind everyone that the administration is equally, if not more, concerned that the coach and players represent the university well. Unless attendance falls significantly (and I don't think it would with a consistently competitive team) Shaka will be welcome.

As for the season ending with a bad taste in your mouth, like it or not, that is likely to happen every year except in the unlikely event that the team wins the NCAA title. Fans who say they would be satisfied just making the Elite 8 or the Final Four will prove themselves wrong when the team is eliminated.

People who have been MU fans since the 60's know what lean times are like. Having a competitive and entertaining team that leaves a sour taste with a disappointing NCAA loss is far preferable to apathy and no taste at all.

Just my opinion.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2024, 10:58:01 AM »
I think people are overlooking the impact JTY could have had on this roster down the stretch.  Mainly on the defensive side, but I also thought he would have improved offensively.  He also had his moments with two thanks for playing shots.  The one thing he could do is move the defense with his zoomability downhill.  I wouldn't sleep on this young man or hold his stature against him.  I love the kid and believe he will come back stronger.  He's a better Peyton Siva imo. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2024, 11:21:59 AM »
Muggsy

Now that the season is over, I will throw in my two cents about the future. I like Sean and I like Stevie a lot, but my dream team would have both of those guys as high level reserves, not starters.

Before I get bashed on Stevie, I love everything about him as a person and a player. That said, I think he has been a benefactor of playing in an exciting offensive system. MU needs bigger, tougher, and faster guys moving forward. Again, I think Stevie has improved a great deal and is important player, but not a 30 minute guy.

As for Sean, he would not be dream PG for the next three seasons. I would love a taller more offensive skilled version of him running the show.

I might might crazy, but I envision the future of MU basketball to look like a Rick Pitino style of play and players. Not the bad part of Rick, but the type of player he has won with for 35+ years. IMO, Sean is the perfect backup PG in that system.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2024, 11:38:58 AM »
IMO they will struggle at times but come around at the end.
Love your call name. Where did you get it? Speaks of reason, clairavoyance, intelligence, and willingness to agree.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2024, 11:50:46 AM »
Muggsy

Now that the season is over, I will throw in my two cents about the future. I like Sean and I like Stevie a lot, but my dream team would have both of those guys as high level reserves, not starters.

Before I get bashed on Stevie, I love everything about him as a person and a player. That said, I think he has been a benefactor of playing in an exciting offensive system. MU needs bigger, tougher, and faster guys moving forward. Again, I think Stevie has improved a great deal and is important player, but not a 30 minute guy.

As for Sean, he would not be dream PG for the next three seasons. I would love a taller more offensive skilled version of him running the show.

I might might crazy, but I envision the future of MU basketball to look like a Rick Pitino style of play and players. Not the bad part of Rick, but the type of player he has won with for 35+ years. IMO, Sean is the perfect backup PG in that system.
Agreed on most of this. Some things about Mitchell. I love the guy, but the love he gets here is overwhelming. He is a good defensive player, but not elite like many here think. Also he is not a scorer or a shooter. Saying that I would still take him on my team 100 times out of 100.
Regarding Pitino style, of course he is a good coach, but a slimeball, and not a character builder. I would like to see Shakas style more often, but he absolutely has to get his ass in the portal because almost all the elite teams are using it. I personally hate it, but Shaka has to adapt.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2024, 11:56:08 AM »
Finally, about Shaka.

I couldn't disagree more with the statement " wins in the NCAA are the most important metric of coaching success".

While this may be true for many fans and members of the media, I can pretty much guarantee that it is not the most important metric for Shaka's employer, who is who he should be most concerned about.

I would bet that if the next 10 years play out like the last 3, making the NCAA tournament every year and winning a conference title or two, Shaka will not be in any danger of being fired based on the team's performance in the tournament. The Buzz Williams era should remind everyone that the administration is equally, if not more, concerned that the coach and players represent the university well. Unless attendance falls significantly (and I don't think it would with a consistently competitive team) Shaka will be welcome.

As for the season ending with a bad taste in your mouth, like it or not, that is likely to happen every year except in the unlikely event that the team wins the NCAA title. Fans who say they would be satisfied just making the Elite 8 or the Final Four will prove themselves wrong when the team is eliminated.

People who have been MU fans since the 60's know what lean times are like. Having a competitive and entertaining team that leaves a sour taste with a disappointing NCAA loss is far preferable to apathy and no taste at all.

Just my opinion.
+1. I’m an MU grad who has been around since the 60’s. The Shaka era is manna from heaven. Yep, it’s always disappointing to lose in the NCAAs, but the journey getting and being there is to be savored. In the end, every team but one has a disappointing end to the season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2024, 11:57:30 AM »
Muggsy

My dream team wouldn't be Stevie and Sean but I think they're solid rotational players.  Mitchell has gotten better every year despite what happened Friday.  Sean's recovery is an unknown but I understand wanting a more proven commodity. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2024, 11:58:29 AM »
Agreed on most of this. Some things about Mitchell. I love the guy, but the love he gets here is overwhelming. He is a good defensive player, but not elite like many here think. Also he is not a scorer or a shooter. Saying that I would still take him on my team 100 times out of 100.
Regarding Pitino style, of course he is a good coach, but a slimeball, and not a character builder. I would like to see Shakas style more often, but he absolutely has to get his ass in the portal because almost all the elite teams are using it. I personally hate it, but Shaka has to adapt.

Billy Donovan has no character.  Mark Pope has no character.  Tony Delk has no character.  Peyton Siva has no character.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2024, 12:03:19 PM »
+1. I’m an MU grad who has been around since the 60’s. The Shaka era is manna from heaven. Yep, it’s always disappointing to lose in the NCAAs, but the journey getting and being there is to be savored. In the end, every team but one has a disappointing end to the season.

Blue is right on.  If this team makes the Final 4 and loses by 20 to Purdue, all the same type of posts are being made. 

If the team goes 19-14 and sneaks into the tourney next year in the play-in and makes an Elite 8, we’d have had an entire season of the usual suspects complaining about the state of the program, Shaka and the players.  And they’d still complain after making an Elite 8.

Some people are happier being miserable
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 12:05:00 PM by Uncle Rico »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2024, 12:22:28 PM »
Muggsy

You know I love you as a MU fan and the excitement you bring, but I always try to take emotion out of how I grade a player. I did fall into the trap of loving a player with TK and fortunately he proved that to be a good call. I have stating on here countless times that I think Ben Gold is an NBA player and on my dream team Ben Gold would be a 6th or 7th man. That is how championship teams are built. IMO, if Stevie was a 6th man and playing 20 minutes a game, you would have a helluva of team to be cheering for.

There is nothing not to love about Stevie and I am glad he is a very part of the program. My hopes for MU are bigger than many and I want to have the very best players they can get. I have argued with family and friends for years about taking emotions out of discussions on MU basketball. For 50+ years my favorite player every year has been the best player on the team because they give MU the best chance of winning.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2024, 03:18:21 PM »
I also want to comment on the statement that reaching the Sweet 16 “should be almost automatic for a 2 seed”.

In fact, in the last 10 tournaments before this year, 23 of the 40 2 seeds reached the Sweet 16. I don’t consider something that happens 57.5% of the time to be “almost automatic”. So, even though the loss Friday was extremely disappointing, I think Shaka and the team do deserve some extra credit for winning two tournament games.

Only 16 of those 23 teams reached the Elite 8, so a 2 seed winning 3 games in the tournament has been less than a 50-50 proposition.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2024, 03:22:58 PM »
Muggsy

You know I love you as a MU fan and the excitement you bring, but I always try to take emotion out of how I grade a player. I did fall into the trap of loving a player with TK and fortunately he proved that to be a good call. I have stating on here countless times that I think Ben Gold is an NBA player and on my dream team Ben Gold would be a 6th or 7th man. That is how championship teams are built. IMO, if Stevie was a 6th man and playing 20 minutes a game, you would have a helluva of team to be cheering for.

There is nothing not to love about Stevie and I am glad he is a very part of the program. My hopes for MU are bigger than many and I want to have the very best players they can get. I have argued with family and friends for years about taking emotions out of discussions on MU basketball. For 50+ years my favorite player every year has been the best player on the team because they give MU the best chance of winning.

That's fair Goose. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2024, 03:27:01 PM »
A: Shaka, Kolek, Oso, Kam, Mitchell
B: Joplin, Gold, Ross, Sean
C: Norman, Lowery
Inc: Al

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2024, 04:01:13 PM »
It is very hard to grade the freshmen, because their lack of playing time may be a reflection more of having experience players ahead of them then a lack or readiness. However, they barely got playing time even with injuries to Mitchell, Ross, Sean Jones and Tyler Kolek. When was the last time we got so little contributions from a freshmen class? Maybe they take a huge jump, but you cannot base this year's ratings on future potential.

I thought Lowery was the best of the freshmen.  However, if the two incoming freshmen are as good as I hope they are, I am not sure how much playing Lowery will get next year.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2024, 04:24:43 PM »
OSO bombed the final so I cannot give him a A. And I share your concern ,Goose, that Sean at PG is a worry. I didn’t see much success when he went to the rim. Seemed that he was rejected on most efforts and I saw too much dribbling around.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2024, 04:44:04 PM »
A: Kolek
B+: Kam, Shaka
C:Oso, Mitchell, Jolp, Ross,GoooollllldBrick
Grading by college grades, not through Blue and Gold lenses

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2024, 04:48:26 PM »
A: Kolek
B+: Kam, Shaka
C:Oso, Mitchell, Jolp, Ross,GoooollllldBrick
Grading by college grades, not through Blue and Gold lenses

Pretty impressive to be in top 10 most of the season and get a 2 seed with only 2 above average players. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2024, 04:49:15 PM »
Pretty impressive to be in top 10 most of the season and get a 2 seed with only 2 above average players.

Imagine giving Oso and Mitchell C’s

😂

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2024, 04:53:07 PM »
Imagine giving Oso and Mitchell C’s

😂

Exactly.  Mitchell deserved a D for Dung.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2024, 05:12:39 PM »

Just my opinion.

Great post, wisblue.  Having a team with high expectations that doesn’t win it all is far preferable to the alternative.  I went to MU and saw one NIT game in four years (and we lost).

burger

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2024, 05:37:20 PM »

Joplin    F minus.....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2024, 05:40:51 PM »

To be fair Im not sure these grades are necessarily relative to college bball as a whole.

Could be expectations or development wise as well
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2024, 05:46:41 PM »
To be fair Im not sure these grades are necessarily relative to college bball as a whole.

Could be expectations or development wise as well

We’re talking about Willie’s grades here.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2024, 05:48:44 PM »
We’re talking about Willie’s grades here.

Valid point.

Just meant peoples as a whole tho.

But yes, get what ya mean.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2024, 08:45:54 PM »
MU is a Whole is a Greater Than Sum of the Parts type team. So my grades are based on the whole team.

So for the 25 games we won, I would give the team an A. We had several Excellent wins, and won many games when we were only playing Solid which is the mark of an Excellent team.

For the 10 Losses, I would give the team an overall B which is not bad. The NC State loss was a bit of Emperor Has No Clothes vibe but I will write it off to nerves not being up to the moment and that is on the Coach just as much as the players.  However, We only had the one bad loss at Home in regular season to Butler. A blowout on the road at U Conn and Providence ( with Hopkins) are par for the course in a tough league such as the Big East. Seton Hall  loss sucked for sure,  but it was a road game against a team that did well in conference and we hadn't yet figured out a method to play through brutality.   In  3 of the losses MU was  without the Best Player on the Team, and we still were competitive for most of those games until we wore out. 

So overall weighted average grade point for the team 3.71

The Individual Grades  would be average to a much lower total than the team around 3.44 as a lot more Bs than As
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2024, 09:53:11 PM »
Shaka - A. Lots of illness and injuries overcome in a solid season.

Kolek - A+. Our best player by a mile.

Kam - A-. Phenomenal scorer, didn’t have long periods of disappearing like in the past.

Stevie - B+. Our best defender and a good leader. Hurts us at times on the offensive end.

Oso - B. Had an “A” going into the final but a C- there hurt his grade.

Jop - C. Had some big moments but even more head scratching ones.

I’d give everyone else incompletes, just not enough data to judge by.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2024, 11:11:20 PM »
5 of our 10 losses came against teams in the final four.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2024, 08:24:51 AM »
I think people are overlooking the impact JTY could have had on this roster down the stretch.  Mainly on the defensive side, but I also thought he would have improved offensively.  He also had his moments with two thanks for playing shots.  The one thing he could do is move the defense with his zoomability downhill.  I wouldn't sleep on this young man or hold his stature against him.  I love the kid and believe he will come back stronger.  He's a better Peyton Siva imo.

Sean was one of our worst defenders. He's disruptive but hes turnover or bust. If he didn't get a turnover,  the other team likely scored.  He'll get better after he recovers
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2024, 08:28:41 AM »
Sean was one of our worst defenders. He's disruptive but hes turnover or bust. If he didn't get a turnover,  the other team likely scored.  He'll get better after he recovers

Not only that, but offensively he has to get better from deep. When you are that short and can't shoot, it really takes away from the threat your speed gives you because people will just lay off you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2024, 09:34:00 AM »
Solid A- from me. Or A/B for those from that era of grading.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2024, 04:50:35 PM »

100% agree. Sean is fun to watch and makes some big plays but for this year anyway the team was better off having Kolek play 38+ minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2024, 06:52:51 PM »
I love Sean's heart.  I want him to heal and reach his full potential and stay at MU.  That said, there are additional challenges being a 5'10 in the Big East and particularly in Shaka's defensive system.   
Switching 1-5 is a nightmare.  Particularly when Ben gets isolated on the PG in space and Sean had the post.   You could see MU shade and immediately collapse on the lob.    That led to poor recoveries or fouls.
   Offensively, Sean was improving, but the offense lacked the seamless motion and flow it had when Tyler played on the ball.  Sean could get into the paint at will, which was awesome, but it didn't always feel like he had a plan for what was next.

Anyway, recover fully, young Mr. Jones.  I look forward to seeing you return and what you can become.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.