'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fireball of Energy  (Read 12020 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Fireball of Energy
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »
The only that bothers me about Wojo is I could not stand him when he was Duke's point guard. He was a very good point guard.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
So it's best to rip your school, alma mater, leaders with ZERO knowledge of what has happened or what might still happen?

sure you have a degree from Marquette?

I have 3 Marquette degrees ("3Mer"). How many do I have to have in order to post an opinion on your board, smart guy?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 09:33:12 AM »
This is would be the most uninspiring white bread hire maybe ever. 
It reeeeekkksss of safe and vanilla. 

It's the Marquette way!

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »
The only that bothers me about Wojo is I could not stand him when he was Duke's point guard. He was a very good point guard.

I might be in the minority here but I loved him at Duke and would welcome any pg with his intensity and skill set. Speaking of pg's, I really hope Duane wilson stays for whomever is the new coach. I think he is going to be a very very special player. You can quote me on that.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
I assume none of the degrees is is "Leading a University" or "Effective Coaching Searches" ..

Nor is your degree in "Managing PR"?

3 MU Degree Einstein - do you think Counzo might have taken his name out of the running to save face when he realized he might not be the final candidate?

I have 3 Marquette degrees ("3Mer"). How many do I have to have in order to post an opinion on your board, smart guy?

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
I assume none of the degrees is is "Leading a University" or "Effective Coaching Searches" ..

3 MU Degree Einstein - do you think Counzo might have taken his name out of the running to save face when he realized he might not be the final candidate?

I believe that if marquette wanted Martin they could have easily gotten him. Why on earth would he want to go back to Tennessee? They don't and haven't wanted him
Since he was hired. He was obviously saving face for Tenn. players and recruits and I am sure it will come out that he was not officially offered anything by Marquette.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:10 AM »
Wooo has been hired per Jeff Goodman. Done deal.

3Mer

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 09:43:23 AM »

You win.  I don't have any of those degrees.  Your intellect is withering.  You truly are a great fan and an outstanding alum.  May you continue to dominate this board and stamp out any voices of dissension or common sense.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:03 AM »
Wooo has been hired per Jeff Goodman. Done deal.

You called?

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »
somebody has to out the stupidity...

You win.  I don't have any of those degrees.  Your intellect is withering.  You truly are a great fan and an outstanding alum.  May you continue to dominate this board and stamp out any voices of dissension or common sense.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »

The vitriol on both sides was unecessary, but look at it logically.

It is leaked that Cuonzo Martin is discussing the coaching vacancy with Marquette.

They meet, three things can happen.

1.  They both decide it is the right fit and Martin is hired.  Announcement is made.
2.  Martin decides MU is not for him.  Martin announces that he has withdrawn interest.
3.  MU decides it doesn't want Martin.  The result has to be, Martin announces that he has withdrawn interest.  Why?  Because he has to go back to Tennessee.  He can't go back saying that he wanted to leave but MU wouldn't take him.  Marquette can't announce they decided they didn't want him because if they did, good luck getting other head coaches to interview.

So the results of outcomes 2 and 3 would look awfully similar publicly, because they have to.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 09:55:33 AM »
So when Coach K retires in 6-7 years, does Wojo go to Duke?

I hate this hire for the same reason I hated the Syracuse assistant, and for the same reason I wanted Ben Howland. This program needs an established coach so it can get some sense of stability.

Agreed to a certain extent, but you can't play the what-if game...especially if that game is being played 6-7 years down the road.  A myriad of things could happen and new candidates could surface in that time.  For instance, I've heard that Brad Stevens two college jobs he'd aspire to if the circumstances were right are IU and Duke.

You hire the best candidate.  Period.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »
but with 3 degrees, you are too smart to see point #3 apparently...

The vitriol on both sides was unecessary, but look at it logically.

It is leaked that Cuonzo Martin is discussing the coaching vacancy with Marquette.

They meet, three things can happen.

1.  They both decide it is the right fit and Martin is hired.  Announcement is made.
2.  Martin decides MU is not for him.  Martin announces that he has withdrawn interest.
3.  MU decides it doesn't want Martin.  The result has to be, Martin announces that he has withdrawn interest.  Why?  Because he has to go back to Tennessee.  He can't go back saying that he wanted to leave but MU wouldn't take him.  Marquette can't announce they decided they didn't want him because if they did, good luck getting other head coaches to interview.

So the results of outcomes 2 and 3 would look awfully similar publicly, because they have to.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »
What part of "Martin takes his name out of consideration" don't you understand genius?  How can any of the publicity of the last couple weeks be good for MU?  And who made you the arbitror of all valid opinions on the board?

Martin was told he was not getting the job. He was given the chance to save face with the Tennessee program that he is in trouble with. I can confirm this.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »
Memes.com[/url]

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »
Has Wojo ever been considered by other programs and if so which ones? I'm wondering why after 14 years at Duke he's finally ready to move on.

I would like to see an answer to this