Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 03:44:19 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill and Vander Blue comparison  (Read 12004 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill and Vander Blue comparison
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »
It's something we'll never know. But I think the comparison should be Newbill and Jamil Wilson.

Shhhh,
This way it fits the narrative of the poster who shall not be named.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »
A volume shooter?  He's done virtually everything better than Vander did last year percentage wise and output wise - shoot, rebound, get to the line....and many think it is easier to be a better player when surrounded with other high level talent.  The fact Newbill is getting it done at a better rate than Vander last year, on a team with mediocre talent in the Big 10 - which is a tough league....I'd say he's shown he does a lot well.

I want to know what Newbill does particularly well at the next level.  He seems to do a lot of things at Penn State because he is the guy.  He's not a point guard though.  His shot isn't *that* good.  He isn't overly athletic.

He seems like a good college guard.

And Vander is a better player.  Period.  You have been trying this argument for over a year and it is still wrong.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
Did the Newbill incident ever make anybody else question Buzz and his "people-first" schtick?  I mean on one hand, Buzz seems very genuine in his desire about putting people before anything else, his love for former players, his good deeds that he does (even without the publicity).  This all makes me think that he is a very sincere and caring person.

But, on the other hand, it seems we did Newbill dirty.  No ifs ands or buts about it, the kid wanted to come here, signed the LOI, and we pulled the rug from under him to get a better player.  I know that this is "part of the business of college basketball" and I'm totally fine with that.  But the disturbing part for me is that Buzz puts out the perception that he is above all of that, that people are more important than the "business of college basketball."

I don't know, just my random thoughts.  Wonder if anyone felt similar.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
Did the Newbill incident ever make anybody else question Buzz and his "people-first" schtick?  I mean on one hand, Buzz seems very genuine in his desire about putting people before anything else, his love for former players, his good deeds that he does (even without the publicity).  This all makes me think that he is a very sincere and caring person.

But, on the other hand, it seems we did Newbill dirty.  No ifs ands or buts about it, the kid wanted to come here, signed the LOI, and we pulled the rug from under him to get a better player.  I know that this is "part of the business of college basketball" and I'm totally fine with that.  But the disturbing part for me is that Buzz puts out the perception that he is above all of that, that people are more important than the "business of college basketball."

I don't know, just my random thoughts.  Wonder if anyone felt similar.

No one knows what really happened here except for Buzz/MU coaches, Newbill and his family. And i'm sure even those people would all tell slightly different versions of the story. You're going to get a lot of people responding to this stating a bunch of "facts" though. So have fun making a decision.

Only thing I'll say is this:

Can, open. Worms, everywhere.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »

I want to know what Newbill does particularly well at the next level.  He seems to do a lot of things at Penn State because he is the guy.  He's not a point guard though.  His shot isn't *that* good.  He isn't overly athletic.

He seems like a good college guard.

And Vander is a better player.  Period.  You have been trying this argument for over a year and it is still wrong.

Wager?  You see Blue doing well in D-League, which is great...I'll just wager that Newbill gets drafted...whether he tries to come out this year or next?

And I love how you discredited him at Southern Miss for playing against poor competition, then he goes to Big 10..arguably best league this year and lights it up, and across the board all of his stats are better than Vander last year...but its only because Penn State isn't very good and not that talented...which therefore should make it easier to shut a guy down (as has Jamil been on this weak MU team)..but in Newbill's case...it's the reason for his success and numbers being better this year than Vander last year??

As for NBA...he'll be a really good 2 guard prospect - he's a legit 6'5 - and is a much more physical player than Vander, though not as explosive.  He's a better shooter than Vander from 2 and 3...and he'll be able to post other 2 guards as his career evolves...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 06:54:06 PM »
I don't gamble.  If Newbill is drafted and makes an NBA roster, I will tip my cap to you.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
This is an out-there question... but if we're going to go ahead and compare the two, is it fair to either of them to compare newbill's numbers this year to blue's numbers last year? Aaren't they the same age/class? I don't think you can compare blue's pro numbers this year to newbill's college numbers. But I don't think you should compare a 4 year player's stats to a 3 year palyer.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »
This is an out-there question... but if we're going to go ahead and compare the two, is it fair to either of them to compare newbill's numbers this year to blue's numbers last year? Aaren't they the same age/class? I don't think you can compare blue's pro numbers this year to newbill's college numbers. But I don't think you should compare a 4 year player's stats to a 3 year palyer.

The post was intended to illustrate how good Newbill has played this year...as many here thought Vander was a superstar last year...and how much it would have helped to have Newbill on this team..and what could have been in both Newbill and Blue were playing together as seniors right now on this team.  Felt given Vander's improvement from Year 2 to 3 at MU, taking the next step in his development at MU..his numbers likely would have looked like Newbill's do this year (as he and Vander were virtually identical last year statistically speaking.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
Wager?  You see Blue doing well in D-League, which is great...I'll just wager that Newbill gets drafted...whether he tries to come out this year or next?

And I love how you discredited him at Southern Miss for playing against poor competition, then he goes to Big 10..arguably best league this year and lights it up, and across the board all of his stats are better than Vander last year...but its only because Penn State isn't very good and not that talented...which therefore should make it easier to shut a guy down (as has Jamil been on this weak MU team)..but in Newbill's case...it's the reason for his success and numbers being better this year than Vander last year??

As for NBA...he'll be a really good 2 guard prospect - he's a legit 6'5 - and is a much more physical player than Vander, though not as explosive.  He's a better shooter than Vander from 2 and 3...and he'll be able to post other 2 guards as his career evolves...

Ners,

I'd bet 1000 that DJ doesn't get drafted and another 1000 that Blue plays in more NBA games in his first 5 years out of college than Newbill does.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Ners,

I'd bet 1000 that DJ doesn't get drafted and another 1000 that Blue plays in more NBA games in his first 5 years out of college than Newbill does.

You've got yourself a wager.   :)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
You've got yourself a wager.   :)

whoa. have we had any bigger wager than $2k on this site?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 12:07:40 AM »
Newbill eats Jake's lunch 9 out of 10 times.
SS Marquette

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 01:21:18 AM »
NVM
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:23:29 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »
DJ Newbill made All Big Ten 2nd team today.

I have to eat crow on Crawford from Northwestern....didn't make it.  Finished strong with 27 points yesterday against the Boils, but too little too late.