[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Highlights and notes from MU Madness scrimmage  (Read 12019 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
[Paint Touches] Highlights and notes from MU Madness scrimmage
« on: October 12, 2013, 02:24:13 AM »
I don't like to make assumptions from these events, yet here I am making assumptions. You should at least go check out the videos.

http://painttouches.com/2013/10/12/highlights-and-notes-from-mu-madness-scrimmage/

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Highlights and notes from MU Madness scrimmage
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
For two guys just cleared and not 100% back, Todd and Steve looked damn good in the scrimmage.  The rest was as expected.  Frosh looking like frosh and showing flashes while making mistakes. 

Clearly, Juan and JJJ will get minutes because of their offense.  Still wouldn't surprise me to see Todd play some PG with these two as the shooters.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:02:52 AM »
For two guys just cleared and not 100% back, Todd and Steve looked damn good in the scrimmage.  The rest was as expected.  Frosh looking like frosh and showing flashes while making mistakes. 

Clearly, Juan and JJJ will get minutes because of their offense.  Still wouldn't surprise me to see Todd play some PG with these two as the shooters.

I'm hopeful that Juan busts out this year.

The physical tools seem to be there, and he's not really deficient in an area. He just needs to find an area or two where he can excel. I'm hoping it's shooting. That would open up his game quite a bit.

Can't wait to see them play at haunted hoops.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
The amount of depth that this team has is amazing.  For the vast majority of time that I have been a MU fan Deonte Burton would have been an instant starter.  This year, I will be surprised if he averages 10 minutes a game.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 09:43:56 AM »
I just want to commend and thank you for your commitment to giving us news, impressions, highlights and informative insights in such a timely manner throughout the year.   Getting our MU Hoops fix throughout the slow months is medicinal.   Having you report out early in the morning after the official start of the season is testament to your dedication and values.   Thank you and we appreciate all that you do for the MU faithful.

Great to wake up, grab some java, peruse and start to get some thoughts on the team and players.   I think it is going to be one phenomenal ride this year...

Cheers

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
How much can you tell from a Marquette Madness? I think you can tell more than you could a couple of years ago. It use to be that there were no team practices before MU Madness. Now the team has had several practices.

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
I don't like to make assumptions from these events, yet here I am making assumptions. You should at least go check out the videos.

http://painttouches.com/2013/10/12/highlights-and-notes-from-mu-madness-scrimmage/

Interesting that you note Mayo's fluidity.  Early in his freshman year when he was making an instant impact, he seemed to have a mature game beyond his years (though the fact he was older than your typical freshman obviously helped).  He had such a smooth driving game.  I have no idea what happened to that and why he didn't use it last year, it seemed he was just a spot-up shooter.  His offensive game has the potential to be so versatile if he could get back to that freshman year mentality, which it sounds like he did in the scrimmage.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
Mixed bag for Big Chris. Gets honored with an award, and then gets a face full of Jamil Wilson in the scrimmage.

There are a lot of athletes out there... Buzz will have options, that's for sure. They could really f*ck with teams if they decide to press more often.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
If the freshmen can learn Buzz's defensive schemes quickly, then extending the defensive pressure makes a lot of sense.    Probably not so much with Gardner at the back of the press, versus Otule/McKay/STjr, but still a very effective tactic. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »

There are a lot of athletes out there... Buzz will have options, that's for sure. They could really f*ck with teams if they decide to press more often.

Start unnatural carnal knowledgeing

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:08:19 AM »
Anyone notice when they introduced Davante they called him a power forward? I don't expect him to start at the 4, but found that interesting. If it does end up happening we will be huge in the front court.
Bring back FFP!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 11:11:26 AM »
Anyone notice when they introduced Davante they called him a power forward? I don't expect him to start at the 4, but found that interesting. If it does end up happening we will be huge in the front court.

Could see him more at the "4" with McKay in there.  I wouldn't expect a whole lot with Otule and him together.  They did it a couple times last year.  Once it seemed to work really well and the other time or 2 that I remember, not so well at all.  But McKay could be considered your "5" and Davante your "4" and that's where you could see a lot of it.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 11:16:52 AM »
Interesting that you note Mayo's fluidity.  Early in his freshman year when he was making an instant impact, he seemed to have a mature game beyond his years (though the fact he was older than your typical freshman obviously helped).  He had such a smooth driving game.  I have no idea what happened to that and why he didn't use it last year, it seemed he was just a spot-up shooter.  His offensive game has the potential to be so versatile if he could get back to that freshman year mentality, which it sounds like he did in the scrimmage.

Think you have to throw out all of last year with regard to evaluating Todd as a player - it was a completely fragmented, disjointed and difficult season for him - albeit somewhat self inflicted.

Todd has a TON of game, and believe we'll see him really shine this year.  I can totally see him performing as well, if not better than Vander did last year.  Give Todd long stretches of PT, and you'll see the results, and results that I feel will be more efficient than VAnder was last year.  Todd had zero chance to get in any type of rhythm last season.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
Think you have to throw out all of last year with regard to evaluating Todd as a player - it was a completely fragmented, disjointed and difficult season for him - albeit somewhat self inflicted.

Todd has a TON of game, and believe we'll see him really shine this year.  I can totally see him performing as well, if not better than Vander did last year.  Give Todd long stretches of PT, and you'll see the results, and results that I feel will be more efficient than VAnder was last year.  Todd had zero chance to get in any type of rhythm last season.

Hope you're right.  Can't see it happening.  I'd bet he has a season closer to the season he had last year than he does to having Vander's season last year.  Todd wants to get his shot up.  Buzz won't be OK with Todd pulling the trigger outside of the flow of offense, which is what will happen.

Anyone notice every single player wore the team light blue shoes...except for Todd?  Has to have his own all black shoes.  All about Todd.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »
Team couldn't shoot last year and this was well known by the time Todd made his first appearance. Where is he going to drive when the defense is packed inside the 3-point line and lane.  Threat of 3-pointer is what extends the D and allows the drive...didn't have a great deal of that last year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
Hope you're right.  Can't see it happening.  I'd bet he has a season closer to the season he had last year than he does to having Vander's season last year.  Todd wants to get his shot up.  Buzz won't be OK with Todd pulling the trigger outside of the flow of offense, which is what will happen.

Anyone notice every single player wore the team light blue shoes...except for Todd?  Has to have his own all black shoes.  All about Todd.

I think Ners will be much more right than you will be.  While to say he will be good as Vander last year is a bit of a stretch, I think being here the entire summer plus playing the entire first semester is going to give him a huge advantage over last year.  Plus he will be the likely starter there all year.

And I think you should lay off him about the shoes.  There are many reasons why a player could wear different shoes than the standard issue.  I don't think it has anything to do with selfishness.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
At MU, even before Buzz, the announced positions did not mean much. Even though Wes Matthews played the small forward spot at MU all four years, he was always announced as a guard, because the scheme was a three guard offense. When we had a starting team of Butler, Hayward, DJO, Culliban and Acker the announced lineup was three guards and two forwards.

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »

Gardner told me yesterday: "You're going to see me and Chris on the court together a lot."

Product of Gardner getting down to 283 pounds and working on/utilizing a 15-footer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »

I think Ners will be much more right than you will be.  While to say he will be good as Vander last year is a bit of a stretch, I think being here the entire summer plus playing the entire first semester is going to give him a huge advantage over last year.  Plus he will be the likely starter there all year.

And I think you should lay off him about the shoes.  There are many reasons why a player could wear different shoes than the standard issue.  I don't think it has anything to do with selfishness.

Again, hope I'm wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJLgKvVzY4

It's not about the shoes.  It's about what he does in them.  I just think it's telling.  Have never been a fan of his attitude.  You're right that there could be a whole plethora of reasons he chose to wear shoes that weren't the same as the rest of the team.  But I think it's more than a coincidence that of the 14 players on the team there was 1 person who wore a different pair of shoes than the other 13 guys.  It happened to be the 1 who has been suspended, academically ineligible, and sent home for a summer.

Maybe I'm being too hard on the guy.  But I'm not a fan of a guy who comes into the game and puts up a quick 3 pointer or has a quick turnover on the first possession of the game that he is in and then gets burned on the defensive end on a gamble and then gets subbed out.  I'm also not a fan of a player who calls for the ball and then shakes his head in disbelief when he doesn't get the pass.

I WAS pleased with his attitude on the bench last year.  Loved when he was the first person out to high 5 Vander (and Vander even accepted the high 5!) after Vander's steal and dunk against Butler in the NCAA Tournament.  Need to see more of that Todd than the 1 who wears 5 undershirts, a shooting sleeve, different shoes than the team, and looks for his shot first and only passes it when he's stuck, disrupting the whole offense.

Hopefully I'm being too hard on the guy and he has figured it all out.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
Duane was smooooth.  Derrick is definitely the starter, but Duane is going to be good.  But as far as newcomers, JaJuan is on another level good. 

statnik

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »

That's true, I should have fragmented it to the end of his freshman season as well.  For some reason, he stopped driving to the basket on a regular basis even at the end of his freshman year, despite having much success in big games doing just that, such as the big win at Wisconsin.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
Duane was smooooth.  Derrick is definitely the starter, but Duane is going to be good.  But as far as newcomers, JaJuan is on another level good. 

I agree with all of this.  I'm really excited for all of the newcomers.  JJJ and Duane just have a natural scoring ability.  They know how to put it in the bucket in a variety of ways.  Burton can finish around the rim in a number of ways as well.  I expect more of a learning curve for him, but he's still a stud.  And I love McKay.  He may not score a ton but he's going to have impacts on the game that don't show up in the box score.  Dawson didn't show me much, but he's a big, athletic guy who already looked more confident than a freshman does.  I said it in another thread but I just have a feeling I'm going to like him a lot.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Todd has always been a bit different, the gunslinger.  But as the 2G, maybe that cockiness is inherent in the success of that role.  Like the closer in baseball, they tend to be a bit eccentric as the game comes down to their last pitch or shot.  They have the signature facial hair, weird habits, shaved heads into lightening bolts designs, and are loners.  They walk to a different drummer.  Vander had that cockiness too as did DJO and Jerel.

I think the message has been delivered, heard and he has responded.  I think he will have a great year.  Buzz will move swiftly if not..but I don't think it will come that that.  

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »
Todd has always been a bit different, the gunslinger.  But as the 2G, maybe that cockiness is inherent in the success of that role.  Like the closer in baseball, they tend to be a bit eccentric as the game comes down to their last pitch or shot.  They have the signature facial hair, weird habits, shaved heads into lightening bolts designs, and are loners.  They walk to a different drummer.  Vander had that cockiness too as did DJO and Jerel.

I think the message has been delivered, heard and he has responded.  I think he will have a great year.  Buzz will move swiftly if not..but I don't think it will come that that.  

That's a good point.  I had some of the same feelings on Vander going into last year and I was very pleased with the way Vander played as a junior.  Hopefully you are correct that the message has gotten through to Todd and he can have a similar year to Vander as a junior.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 12:39:23 PM »
Davante has been listed as a forward by MU since Day1.... ;)

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
I think I've said this before, but anyway.  Mayo was the ONLY person to show up in our Sweet 16 game game against Florida.  He has never left being on my good side since then, despite last year's chuckings.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
I really liked what I saw from Juan and I stick with what I said in May, when folks thought he was leaving MU ...

Quote from: 4everwarriors on May 20, 2013, 08:53:22 AM
Nice kid and team member/player, but lets's not confuse him with the second comin' of Carmelo Anthony.

He can be a double digit rebounder and scorer next year[/

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
That's a good point.  I had some of the same feelings on Vander going into last year and I was very pleased with the way Vander played as a junior.  Hopefully you are correct that the message has gotten through to Todd and he can have a similar year to Vander as a junior.

Buzz not giving Todd as easy pass...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/marquettes-todd-mayo-still-trying-to-realize-his-potential-b99118123z1-227473201.html?ipad=y

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »
I really liked what I saw from Juan and I stick with what I said in May, when folks thought he was leaving MU ...

Quote from: 4everwarriors on May 20, 2013, 08:53:22 AM
Nice kid and team member/player, but lets's not confuse him with the second comin' of Carmelo Anthony.

He can be a double digit rebounder and scorer next year[/

I agree completely.  I've always liked Juan, felt he was held back a lot by the injuries and not being able to have time in the offseason to get properly prepared.  I think he will be a big component of our success this year and he at least has the potential to be special next year.

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
Hunt sure like writing articles about Mayo!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:51 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
Is that the same article that Mike Hunt refers to our 4th year player as Devante or was that a different article?

Imagine the beat writer for MU basketball actually getting the names of the SENIORS spelled correctly. Picky picky.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 07:48:26 AM »
With respect to the Mayo controversy, I've got to admit I've been reading a lot about how good he'll be this year, and will start, and I really haven't bought into that. I think he's showed us who he is and what he's got and don't really expect to see much that's different - flashes of brilliance interspersed with multiple gaffes. He's not an 18-year-old who is still being molded. But if his attitude has come around (perhaps with a dash of maturity) I'm willing (and hoping) to be wrong, wrong, wrong.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
I agree with all of this.  I'm really excited for all of the newcomers.  JJJ and Duane just have a natural scoring ability.  They know how to put it in the bucket in a variety of ways.  Burton can finish around the rim in a number of ways as well.  I expect more of a learning curve for him, but he's still a stud.  And I love McKay.  He may not score a ton but he's going to have impacts on the game that don't show up in the box score.  Dawson didn't show me much, but he's a big, athletic guy who already looked more confident than a freshman does.  I said it in another thread but I just have a feeling I'm going to like him a lot.

Well, you'll like him a lot as long as he wears the same color shoes as everyone else, right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:03 AM »
Well, you'll like him a lot as long as he wears the same color shoes as everyone else, right?

Seems like an odd time to bring this thread back to the surface...?

But to go off of your post, I was at the women's volleyball match tonight and the men's basketball team was getting ready for Haunted Hoops. I was not at all surprised to see half of the team sitting in the first row near center court and the other half waiting around in the "tunnel" entrance to the court, while Todd sat alone in the 2nd row not near any of them. Just seems like Todd's all about him. Maybe I just look too into those kinds of things. But maybe it's more than a coincidence that the guy who continually gets suspended and sent home for conflicting values/views from the coaches and the rest of the team is always the one with the different shoes sitting alone. But you're right. He's turned a corner and matured. He learned his lesson and will be all about the team this year with his older millionaire brother in town.