'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: All speculation aside, what did the four MU players do that brought punishment?  (Read 12012 times)

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
These threads are all the same.  It's probably the 500th time there's some issue or another at MU where  one or more of the following happens:

* MU releases some information
* MU releases cryptic information
* Some fans want to know everything
* Some fans don't want to know everything
* Some fans decry the fans who want to know, call them entitled hairy wet cats
* Some fans assume the worst
* Some fans assume the best
* Badger fans laugh at us
* MU fans point out Badger program's failures
* etc

* God creates dinosaurs.
* God destroys dinosaurs.
* God creates man.
* Man destroys God.
* Man creates dinosaurs.
* Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

mviale

• All American
Love the search for a negative.  This is the best team we have had in years. There are 2 games left in the season.  lets bask in it.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

connie

• All American
Love the search for a negative.  This is the best team we have had in years. There are 2 games left in the season.  lets bask in it.

I am sitting in a tub pouring this over my head!

Seriously.  It's over with.  Lesson taught. 
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: MU should provide a public explanation for the punishments
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »
It is ridiculous when a team suspends or otherwise disciplines a player or players and is then silent on the reasons for having taken disciplinary action.

The facts set the record straight and actually serve to preserve players’ reputations.

If Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo were, say, late for practice or to watch game video, that is small potatoes and people should know it.

If their violations of team rules or policies were more egregious but still not serious violations of rules that most of us hold dear, others should know that, too.

If their violations were serious matters and potentially criminal -- not the case here, it seems -- then a certain level of confidentiality or secrecy might be appropriate and expected.

The secrecy only makes many people -- far and wide -- think the worst. Why wouldn’t a team seek to avoid that?

I don't agree at all.  They were almost certainly late for practice or late on curfew.  Why are you are thinking worse than that?

If he's going to come out and say that, then what will you think next time he doesn't want to talk about something slightly more serious?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
I heard it was a gang bang.

MUMac

• All American
That's what I figured... just weird he went w/ a 3:1 split rather than 2:2 I guess.
The 3:1 was to punish the starters together.  Miss a start and the 1st half.  Made sense to me.

4everwarriors

• All American
It's pretty clear to me that this years team is paying for the sins of last year.  It's embarassing if you ask me. 

This is it exactly. I believe Buzz has been put on notice that his team is not to embarass the university again.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
No theories, please. Does anyone know exactly what Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo did that resulted in their having to spend a lot of time on the bench against West Virginia University?

I know there are plenty of possible explanations, but does anyone know the facts?

Again, no theories, please.

I believe that all four were caught going on message boards and doing one of the following:

a) after a loss posting untrue information about the team's offense or its record on national TV and then verbally running around screaming 'the sky is falling the sky is falling"

b) after a win finding the only possible negative regarding the team and going on and on about it.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wojosdojo

• All American
Who gives a sh*t??? We went in and demoralized a desperate team on their own court without 4 of our opening day starters for an entire half. This team has a huge sack of marbles. I love it!!!!!

I do. This is the third game where a suspended player had to sit, DJOs and Juniors second. The Margin or error is slim as MU loses a lot every year but what open the gap somewhat is leadership we rely on. Not too worried, but I give a sh*t.

Goose

• All American
Buzz is covering his ass 100%. He knows that he also is on double secret probation after last years mess. He is over the top on being careful and might be wise move.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
Tell that to Junior.  This is his second one.  Maybe another's player second as well?--can't remember.  Apparently he/they are not getting this valuable message.

I thought about this and I wonder if they would learn their lesson if the suspension caused a loss?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

GGGG

• All American
It was a lateness issue.  It had nothing to do with last year. 

Goose

• All American
All of the suspensions this year have to do with last year. It is a bigger picture issue than most realize. Last years mess did not sit well with many people and this years team is paying the price. Buzz might have nine lives but he is smart enough to spread them out.

bilsu

• All American
I no you said no theories, but here is my theory. Buzz and Huggins are bantering back and forth and Huggins says my team can beat your team. Buzz retorts, my team could beat your team with one hand tied behind its back. Huggins laugh's at him, so Buzz decides to show him he was telling the truth. ;D

4everwarriors

• All American
It speaks to the image of the university. I'm figurin' there is zero tolerance for character issues of any kind and ultimately, Buzz is responsible.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
All of the suspensions this year have to do with last year.

The suspensions this year would have also been suspensions last year.

avid1010

• All American
Buzz is covering his ass 100%. He knows that he also is on double secret probation after last years mess. He is over the top on being careful and might be wise move.

is this a joke?  if you remember at the end of last year MU was offering Buzz the world to stay at MU, and every university with an opening was begging Buzz to come their way.  

call me crazy, but my guess is buzz puts a high standard on his players behavior/morals.  last year he had a few players step out of line, he re-evaluated over the summer and decided to tighten things up because it was in the best interest of all.  it's no different than how i handle employees.  if i see an area that needs improvement, i spell out the expectations and the punishments for not meeting them.  every now and then you think you're doing what you need to do to be proactive, and you end up in a situation where it gets away from you and you become reactive.  i don't know if these rules were or were not in place last year, but to think that Buzz is under probation is hilarious....because we always extend contracts and give raises to employees on probation??  the notion of "secret" probation is even ridiculous.  a coach that's winning and makes a mistake often gets put on public "probation" meaning...as an institution we need to say you're on probation to make ourselves look good, but just keep winning and be careful.  you don't put an employee that you really want to do everything you can to keep on double secret probation, and the way he is winning and recruiting at MU, he could get in UCONN type trouble without any job issues...just ask jim calhoun.

marquette needs a winning basketball program more than most schools...  

avid1010

• All American
All of the suspensions this year have to do with last year. It is a bigger picture issue than most realize. Last years mess did not sit well with many people and this years team is paying the price. Buzz might have nine lives but he is smart enough to spread them out.

if you're going to say this crap, back it up with some relation to a source.  the biggest issue MU had last year was their policies were messed up...that was the bigger picture.

4everwarriors

• All American
Yeah, just like OJ and Braun
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
Avid--- Same point over and over in regards to what MU ball means to the school. I agree completely with you, but unfortunately we do not run the joint. There are people in high positions that are extremely upset with last years issues and that is a fact. If Buzz does not tell us why guys are suspended do you really think BOT are going to announce program being watched?

Believe it or not but tricky tack violations are no longer considered tricky tack.

Goose

• All American
Avid----are you serious about last year? If so, silly discussion.

GGGG

• All American
if you're going to say this crap, back it up with some relation to a source.  the biggest issue MU had last year was their policies were messed up...that was the bigger picture.

Goose is completely wrong.  The suspensions yesterday would have been suspensions last year and it had NOTHING to do with last year whatsoever.  They were late - either for a practice or curfew -  I have yet to hear the whole story.  

LON

• All American
Avid--- Same point over and over in regards to what MU ball means to the school. I agree completely with you, but unfortunately we do not run the joint. There are people in high positions that are extremely upset with last years issues and that is a fact. If Buzz does not tell us why guys are suspended do you really think BOT are going to announce program being watched?

Believe it or not but tricky tack violations are no longer considered tricky tack.

#TrollingHarderThanBuzz

You should have just ended with that.

avid1010

• All American
Avid----are you serious about last year? If so, silly discussion.
tell me how last season ended for buzz???  as i recall he was one of the biggest names on the market for college coaches, MU had just gone to a sweet 16, and he was given a huge raise and contract extension.  

do i think MU was happy about the off court issues?  i'm sure they weren't, but they couldn't have been that unhappy.  and i know for a fact, the person who has the biggest say in the whole dang thing was/is in buzz' corner 100%.  if there was anything said to buzz about the issues, my guess is it was a "lets work together to make sure this doesn't happen in the future" type discussion.  you don't put your most valued employee on probation, and if buzz would have left MU for Texas AM, Oklahoma, Arkansas, etc. and said he didn't want to leave MU but he didn't feel he had the support of the BOT, the MU fans/alum would have crucified the BOT and MU would have taken a huge step backwards basketball wise.  the BOT needs Buzz, it's not the other way around.  if they piss him off, and he leaves placing the blame on them, MU won't find a decent coach to walk in the doors, recruits will vanish, current players will leave, and the university as a whole is in trouble.  for me to believe that buzz is on probration is too much...i'd have to hear that from the horses mouth. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:17:46 PM by avid1010 »

Goose

• All American
Avid---Your points are correct but one thing missing. The off court issue was still in the news after Sweet16 run and still a cloud over program is some people's minds.

Sultan--You definitely have right to your opinion, but politely disagree with you.

feedback