'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by PointWarrior
[Today at 10:09:08 AM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: All speculation aside, what did the four MU players do that brought punishment?  (Read 12013 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
No theories, please. Does anyone know exactly what Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo did that resulted in their having to spend a lot of time on the bench against West Virginia University?

I know there are plenty of possible explanations, but does anyone know the facts?

Again, no theories, please.

LON

• All American
No theories, please. Does anyone know exactly what Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo did that resulted in their having to spend a lot of time on the bench against West Virginia University?

I know there are plenty of possible explanations, but does anyone know the facts?

Again, no theories, please.

Buzz isn't going to say - he made that clear last night.  It's over.  They are moving on, we can too.

tower912

• All American
There are about 25 people in the world who actually, definitively know the reason.   I am skeptical any of them are going to spill.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Late for practice. How/why/when they were late, I do not know. But that's what I was told. Can't say that it is accurate or the "party line" about what happened.
We Are Marquette

The Lens

• All American
It's pretty clear to me that this years team is paying for the sins of last year.  It's embarassing if you ask me. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

real chili 83

• All American
It's pretty clear to me that this years team is paying for the sins of last year.  It's embarassing if you ask me. 

Really?  Whats next, attack Blue, we need to practice FT's, wish we had Maymon, blah, blah blah.....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Who gives a sh*t??? We went in and demoralized a desperate team on their own court without 4 of our opening day starters for an entire half. This team has a huge sack of marbles. I love it!!!!!

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
MU should provide a public explanation for the punishments
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
It is ridiculous when a team suspends or otherwise disciplines a player or players and is then silent on the reasons for having taken disciplinary action.

The facts set the record straight and actually serve to preserve players’ reputations.

If Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo were, say, late for practice or to watch game video, that is small potatoes and people should know it.

If their violations of team rules or policies were more egregious but still not serious violations of rules that most of us hold dear, others should know that, too.

If their violations were serious matters and potentially criminal -- not the case here, it seems -- then a certain level of confidentiality or secrecy might be appropriate and expected.

The secrecy only makes many people -- far and wide -- think the worst. Why wouldn’t a team seek to avoid that?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
The team shouldn't care what uptight lilly laced fans think about it. Can't please everyone nor should you try to. If you choose to project a worst case scenario onto a college kid, that's your prerogative. It's been handled, we won, move on.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
It's pretty clear to me that this years team is paying for the sins of last year. 

I believe this is true.  I'm sure Buzz is under direct order from Williams and Pilarz that all problems, no matter how minor, must be punished. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
If this was indeed a "late for practice" infraction, it would be far better to just come out and admit what is a minor infraction, than instead, let speculation rule the day.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
I believe this is true.  I'm sure Buzz is under direct order from Williams and Pilarz that all problems, no matter how minor, must be punished. 
Honestly, I'm ok with that as long as the message gets across to the players. Nothing wrong with running a tight ship like Dean Smith or Lombardi. It becomes a problem when Buzz disconnects with the players.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
There is great wisdom in your comment, mu_hilltopper.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
If this was indeed a "late for practice" infraction, it would be far better to just come out and admit what is a minor infraction, than instead, let speculation rule the day.

Absolutely correct, mu_hilltopper

Relatively small matters, such as tardiness for practice or to watch game video, should be reported as such.

Jamailman espouses the “who gives a sh**” approach to keeping people informed and protecting peoples’ reputations.

Well, you want to know what I heard about Jamailman? I heard he is a real ***** who has been known to **** *** ***.

But to protect his reputation, I cannot say anything more.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
I'm friends with one of the most involved team amanagers, and he didn't even know.  I don't think it was anything too serious.  Late for practice is probably it. Remember, Cadougan got suspended for the entire Wisconsin game just for kicking a car that almost hit him right in front of the whole coaching staff.  The team is on a no-tolerance policy in light of recent events.
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: There is great wisdom in your comment, mu_hilltopper.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Absolutely correct, mu_hilltopper

Relatively small matters, such as tardiness for practice or to watch game video, should be reported as such.

Jamailman espouses the “who gives a sh**” approach to keeping people informed and protecting peoples’ reputations.

Well, you want to know what I heard about Jamailman? I heard he is a real ***** who has been known to **** *** ***.

But to protect his reputation, I cannot say anything more.

Whaaaaaaaaa! {Sniffle} whaaaaaaaaaa!

You sound like a crying infant on an airplane. Who else is assuming worst case scenarios other than you? You think Buzz would have been playing air banjo at half court or these guys would have seen the court in the second half if it was something serious? Get over yourself and enjoy this team. They're taking us on a fantastic voyage! (Slippady slide)

PVMagic

• Starter
If the first three were late, does that mean Mayo left early?

I'm convinced it probably was something very minor as well.  I am slightly curious as to why Mayo was out for the 2nd half while 3 sat for the first half.

wadesworld

• All American
It's pretty clear to me that this years team is paying for the sins of last year.  It's embarassing if you ask me.  

I think this is a ridiculous stance to take.  You think a guy who is as OCD about his schedule (plans his day out to the minute) is possibly suspending guys for a half because of last year's problems (whatever they were) rather than the fact that some of his players (starters, team leaders) may have shown up late for a practice before a Big East road game?  And you think last year Buzz was just letting guys go around and do whatever they wanted (smoke weed, as some rumors have been for one of the previous suspensions) without punishment if he knew about this?  And you think our administration cares enough about something like being late to practice to step in and say Buzz must punish them for that?  That is Buzz's business, not the athletic department's.  If it was something legal then sure you could make that case, but this was a team rule.  If the guys were late to practice and not suspended, is that really a black eye for the program or athletic department or institution if that got "leaked"?  Come on.

We're talking about Buzz Williams here.  He's going to bust your balls if you go to Marquette and play for him.  I have serious doubts that he was letting a free-for-all go and now he has been told taht any little infraction must be punished.  This is ridiculous.

It is ridiculous when a team suspends or otherwise disciplines a player or players and is then silent on the reasons for having taken disciplinary action.

The facts set the record straight and actually serve to preserve players’ reputations.

If Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan, Vander Blue and Todd Mayo were, say, late for practice or to watch game video, that is small potatoes and people should know it.

If their violations of team rules or policies were more egregious but still not serious violations of rules that most of us hold dear, others should know that, too.

If their violations were serious matters and potentially criminal -- not the case here, it seems -- then a certain level of confidentiality or secrecy might be appropriate and expected.

The secrecy only makes many people -- far and wide -- think the worst. Why wouldn’t a team seek to avoid that?

Yeah that sounds like a good plan.  When it's minor release what it is, but when it's major say nothing.  Then the fans know that the players committed a crime when they are suspended with no explanation.  Sounds smart to me! ::)

The team, coaching staff, and athletic department have no responsibility to release why somebody isn't playing.  They violated a team rule.  It is a private matter and was handled internally.  The fans are not entitled to some explanation.  If you think they're only sitting for 1/2 of 1 game because 4 guys ganged up and beat the crap out of some dude at a bar, I feel sorry for you.  Who cares what the fans are speculating?  They broke team rules.  That's it.

When you get into any kind of trouble (speeding ticket, late for a meeting, parking ticket, whatever it may be) should we all go and publish it in the newspaper too?  Again, come on.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:55:41 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Can we almost be safe to assume it was something minor like being late for practice or something. Buzz said there was still a standard to be set, making it sound like the players had been slacking or complacent.

If it was something more than that I would hope there would be a lot more than just a 20 minute suspension.

LloydMooresLegs

I'm friends with one of the most involved team amanagers, and he didn't even know.  I don't think it was anything too serious.  Late for practice is probably it. Remember, Cadougan got suspended for the entire Wisconsin game just for kicking a car that almost hit him right in front of the whole coaching staff.  The team is on a no-tolerance policy in light of recent events.

lightblue:  since I just posted a smart-a@@ response to another of your posts, thought I'd thank you for this one.  Did not know the reason for junior's suspension.   And I do like that the coaches did not let something like that slide (would have been a normal reaction for me, but junior is held to a higher standard representing the team and school)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Can we almost be safe to assume it was something minor like being late for practice or something. Buzz said there was still a standard to be set, making it sound like the players had been slacking or complacent.

If it was something more than that I would hope there would be a lot more than just a 20 minute suspension.

Yes. Only the tea and crumpets crowd would assume otherwise.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
If the first three were late, does that mean Mayo left early?

I'm convinced it probably was something very minor as well.  I am slightly curious as to why Mayo was out for the 2nd half while 3 sat for the first half.
see the first post from below.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=30789.0
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:08:25 AM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

PVMagic

• Starter
I read somewhere that Buzz said he couldn't sit all at once due to a numbers game. He wouldn't have had enough players in a rotation.

That's what I figured... just weird he went w/ a 3:1 split rather than 2:2 I guess.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
These threads are all the same.  It's probably the 500th time there's some issue or another at MU where  one or more of the following happens:

* MU releases some information
* MU releases cryptic information
* Some fans want to know everything
* Some fans don't want to know everything
* Some fans decry the fans who want to know, call them entitled hairy wet cats
* Some fans assume the worst
* Some fans assume the best
* Badger fans laugh at us
* MU fans point out Badger program's failures
* etc

We R Final Four

• All American
Honestly, I'm ok with that as long as the message gets across to the players.

Tell that to Junior.  This is his second one.  Maybe another's player second as well?--can't remember.  Apparently he/they are not getting this valuable message.