Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue's decommitment and BadgerNation meltdown goes national  (Read 11893 times)

tower912

• All American
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11776517

Parrish takes them to task.   MU fans take some flak at the end.   And the whiny rodents immediately respond blaming it all on MU fans.   Badgernation, you did this to yourself.   Quit reflexively blaming MU and look in the friggin mirror.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Blue's decommitment and BadgerNation meltdown goes national
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »
Oh, snap.  So UW fans now think it was Marquette fans, posing as UW fans, who were throwing Vander under the bus?

Awesome.

A whole new world opens.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
This has definitely been one of my favorite off-seasons and it's not even June yet.
So, so, so much fun. A Vander commitment to MU would just be the icing on the cake.

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:25:01 PM »
"To those who haven't followed the situation too closely please be aware that it's exceedingly easy for opposing fans to pose for this very purpose.  I know of people who have done this in the past, this is the first time I can remember it being so effective though.  In this case, Marquette fans are the obvious culprit."

WOW.   Just................WOW.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 01:25:46 PM »
I definately think Blue is down with UW. This message board stuff has probably eliminated Marquette also. We should always keep in mind that what we post here can and often does get back to the player/recruit. There is a least one person on this board that would not mind Roseboro going elsewere. Given that the poster only knows a players rankings, which are subjective at best, they really have no business coming down on an incoming recruit and are hurting our program by doing so. If recruits do not work out, we should be questioning Buzz's judgement and not the individual recruits.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
The longer this goes on, the more I stand by my 'internet circle jerk' comment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »
Just for GP becasue I do enjoy his articles. My name is Paul Madsen, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, I graduated Marquette in 2004. I grew up in Arlington, VA, went to Gonzaga College High School. I am an Operations Manager for the Coakley Brothers Family of Companies.

Now because I gave out all this info does that mean I am free to bash, I am no longer anonymous.

All I know is that if I were Vander Blue I would go to college out of the state at thsi point to stick it to all parties involved.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »
Oh, snap.  So UW fans now think it was Marquette fans, posing as UW fans, who were throwing Vander under the bus?

Awesome.

A whole new world opens.

No kidding.  Look at their own LONG TIME board members that hammered the crap out of the kid on their boards.  Are they really suggesting that those are MU fans?  Fran is comical on this stuff, actually delusional.  Then I see Big Eddy saying it's MU fans on the BadgerBeat boards posing as UW fans?  Uhm, no.  It looks to me by what I've read on the BadgerBeat sites that MU fans are clearly being MU fans and UW fans are clearly being UW fans.

Their attacks on Wesley have been absurd.  The kid gave an opinion, big deal.  He clearly said it wasn't a knock on UW-madison and he even said Vander Blue's talents may not fit MU either.

For Vander's sake, he should get out of the state because the state is clad with complete morons wearing red and white as fans.  Complete morons.  I see Fran is even talking about Wes better be careful in Madison.  What the hell is that, a threat of some kind? It's on the buckyville board, I kid you not.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »
No kidding.  Look at their own LONG TIME board members that hammered the crap out of the kid on their boards.  Are they really suggesting that those are MU fans?

The person that blamed it on MU fans was an anonymous virgin poster on that forum himself. 

It would be brilliant if it were an MU fan pretending to be a UW fan blaming MU for losing Blue.  At least it makes the forums a little more interesting on a near-summer Friday :)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »

For Vander's sake, he should get out of the state...

I HATE to agree with this because I hope he comes to MU...

But, it wouldn't shock me if he left, and I definitely wouldn't blame him.

I like living in Wisconsin, but if you go against the Packers or the Badgers, life can get trying at times. Most people in this state take great pride in those 2 programs (Packers and UW), and some of those people take personal offense to anybody who doesn't feel the same passion. I'm not trying to paint with a broad brush, or blast either group of fans, just speaking from the culture I have observed.

If he goes to MU or UW, I'm afraid the scrutiny will just be too great for him and his family to ever be comfortable.

IF Vander decides to go out of state, he'll just be a recruited player who will be judged for what he does at the school. (use Louisville as an example)

It's really too bad.

I hope somehow this turns around and Vander comes to MU... but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:56:27 PM by 2002mualum »

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 02:56:57 PM »
I would just like to personally thank the UW Moron fans for making this off season much more entertaining.  I live  two time zones away and generally couldn't give a rip about Wisconsin, but am still finding this pretty funny.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
Seriously, what absolute better way to "stick it to the badger fans" and all the fans that threw him under the bus then to come play at MU?? He will have a big enough support system to deal with the idiots from Madison. Besides, he would be living in Milwaukee then anyway. When he does go back to Madison, take Jeronne with you and Uncle Tim. they will deflect the criticism.

If he foes to MU, there would be no louder message sent to this State and the UW fans then that. Dare i say, that that is something that outsiders would remember forever.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muole

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »
"I would just like to personally thank the UW Moron fans for making this off season much more entertaining.  I live  two time zones away and generally couldn't give a rip about Wisconsin, but am still finding this pretty funny."

+1.  this is great theatre.  i'm so happy my long held opinion of badger fans has been overwhelmingly validated

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
"To those who haven't followed the situation too closely please be aware that it's exceedingly easy for opposing fans to pose for this very purpose.  I know of people who have done this in the past, this is the first time I can remember it being so effective though.  In this case, Marquette fans are the obvious culprit."

WOW.   Just................WOW.   

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »
I'd also like to say that i would challenge any Badger fan near me to tell me what I do or no not understand about the psyche of badger fans the world over. I know plenty, I see plenty, I work with plenty. Simmer down.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
I hope Vander chooses whatever is best for him, and it is a place where he feels the most comfortable.
With that said, my hatred for UW and all the school's cretin fans has reached new heights.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 05:14:50 PM »
 The unethical "sources close to the UW program" who leak disparaging (and quite likely inaccurate) information from a private and confidential meeting to their in house stooge reporter are still in hiding. The morons of the message boards villify everyone from Vander to Wes to Buzz to the Maymons. People who should know better (isn't Fran a lawyer?) make veiled threats.

I know that many on this board think Vander should leave the circus behind and go to school far away from this MAD(ison)NESS. But he's a competitor and is close with his family, so I doubt he'll let the UW wackos run him out of the state. MU would be a perfect fit.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 05:18:18 PM »
I like the cut of Blue's jib... I hope he chooses MU.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 05:31:14 PM »
I would almost feel sorry, except it is Bo Ryan and UW. Think about the irony of it. Bo's program is taking a major hit public relations wise in which he may be a villian or an innocent victim. Because of NCAA rules not allowing you to comment on unsigned recruits he cannot defend UW or himself regarding this mess. Oh the beauty of it. ;D

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »
Blue will not be playing his college ball in the state of WI....not after reading this IMO.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 06:04:56 PM »
I blame Jeronne. ;)

The teal color, for those NOT in the know, means SARCASM!

Vander Blueandgold! I love it!
SS Marquette

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
Blue will not be playing his college ball in the state of WI....not after reading this IMO.

What do you mean by "reading this"? If you mean the UW boards and their stooge "reporter" you may be right. But everything I've seen on the MU boards has been complimentary and supportive of Vander.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Just for GP becasue I do enjoy his articles. My name is Paul Madsen, I live in Madison, Wisconsin, I graduated Marquette in 2004. I grew up in Arlington, VA, went to Gonzaga College High School. I am an Operations Manager for the Coakley Brothers Family of Companies.

Now because I gave out all this info does that mean I am free to bash, I am no longer anonymous.

All I know is that if I were Vander Blue I would go to college out of the state at thsi point to stick it to all parties involved.

The best way to shove it up UW's butt would be for Vander to come to MU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
The best way to shove it up UW's butt would be for Vander to come to MU.

That might be one of our motivations, but I really doubt it is Vander's - especially since he said that he still likes UW and their coaches.  Maybe he doesn't really want to be caught in the middle of this and just wants to play basketball somewhere without controversy.  People on both sides enflaming this don't make that easy for him if he chooses to stay in state.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
What do you mean by "reading this"? If you mean the UW boards and their stooge "reporter" you may be right. But everything I've seen on the MU boards has been complimentary and supportive of Vander.

I agree the MU board has been suportive, but I also feel that there's no way he will stay in the state.  I smell Rick Pitino!!!!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
I wonder what type of message the UW fan base is sending to possible future recruits from the state of Wisconsin and in particular Madison.  "Don't refuse us or else."  What a classy group.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 09:59:28 AM »
I wonder what type of message the UW fan base is sending to possible future recruits from the state of Wisconsin and in particular Madison.  "Don't refuse us or else."  What a classy group.

I don't think they have a problem if they refuse them.  I think they have a problem to back out of a commitment in part because of MU meddling.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:20 AM »

I don't think they have a problem if they refuse them.  I think they have a problem to back out of a commitment in part because of MU meddling.

What MU meddling?

As for Badger fans, they should learn what the rest of the country already knows: an oral commitment, particularly during one's sophomore years, is worth the paper it's written on.
I'm not suggesting MU fans would be something other than upset in a similar situation (see: Billingsley, LeDaryl), but I'd like to think most of us wouldn't resort to making personal attacks on the kid and offering bizarre conspiracy theories.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »

an oral commitment, particularly during one's sophomore years, is worth the paper it's written on.

Are oral commitments actually written?

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
Are oral commitments actually written?

no

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »
I agree the MU board has been suportive, but I also feel that there's no way he will stay in the state.  I smell Rick Pitino!!!!

You are right there.  Totally smelly pitino stench wafting this way.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
How do I know which of you all are real MU fans or Badgers in disguise?  Any one of you could have the alterior motives of keeping Blue away from the blue and gold.  How many of you are in on it?  Or is this really a plot hatched in the back alleys of Louisville's fan sites to not only screw UW but MU as well.  They are playing one against the other.  Maybe we should join forces and end Pitino's destructive reign and bring order to the Galaxy.  Badgers and Warriors UNITE to keep Vander Blue and all other future Big East stars in state.  Blue to MU, down with louisville.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:44 AM »
no

I guess I should have used a teal font.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
What MU meddling?

As for Badger fans, they should learn what the rest of the country already knows: an oral commitment, particularly during one's sophomore years, is worth the paper it's written on.
I'm not suggesting MU fans would be something other than upset in a similar situation (see: Billingsley, LeDaryl), but I'd like to think most of us wouldn't resort to making personal attacks on the kid and offering bizarre conspiracy theories.

I meant to say "perceived MU meddling."  Sorry.

But I am going to have to disagree on your last point.  Let's say Jeronne committed early to MU and backed out on his verbal to sign with UW.  I've been on this board long enough to know that our response wouldn't exactly be high class.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
I guess I should have used a teal font.
I think most of us (other than shubert33) figured that out.....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »
I as an MU fan would obviously love for Vander to come to MU he is a very highly rated combo guard which we need and obviously the satisfaction of stealing him from the clutches of UW-Madison would be sweet.

For those that say his coming to MU would be a great way to "stick it to Wisky" i think is worthless.  I dont  think Vander would choose a school just to stick it to another school.  4 years is along time and there are way bigger reason to chose a school and bigger fish to fry than to stick it to a school.
In fact ultimately I beeleive he will choose the path of least resistance and choose an out of state school.  way too much baggage with Mu, and a nightmare of drama for himself and his family if he chooses MU do to the classlessness of the UW fans.  Look how they treated Wesley and Jerrronne and their families and those guys never verballed to Wisco.

Ultimately Mu wins this war though in a big big way.  UW had it's highest ever rated recruit in hand.  Bo's ability to go out and sign a top 50 rated SG in Vanders spot is impropbable.  Most likely a top 150 type kid. This si a big loss for Wisco, they are already woefully short on athleticism and talent.  Vander would have been a huge infusion in a huge time of need as Hughes moves on. 

Mu though is already very talented at the gurds with buycks, DJO, Bowen and Junior coming in.  While we most likely will not get Vander we were already full steam ahead in looking for a combo guard and have numerous top 50 and top 100 kids interetd. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »
Ultimately Mu wins this war though in a big big way.  UW had it's highest ever rated recruit in hand. 

Brian Butch was higher rated, or certain.
As was Rashard Griffith.
Probably Sam Okey, as well.

Vander is, by all accounts, a great prospect, but Wisconsin has had better.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »

I meant to say "perceived MU meddling."  Sorry.

But I am going to have to disagree on your last point.  Let's say Jeronne committed early to MU and backed out on his verbal to sign with UW.  I've been on this board long enough to know that our response wouldn't exactly be high class.
Let's say a MU recruit had a meeting with the coaches about his path to qualifying and someone "leaked" details of the meeting to the press and the article wasn't complimentary (whether it's truthful or not).  Let's further stipulate that the article stated that the recruit was thinking about de-committing, but had nothing solid in that area, just a vague "source" told me.

I would like to think that our response wouldn't be to bash the kid and say that he couldn't cut it anyway.  I guess we can't know for certain, but I think we (most of us at least) are more respectful than that.

Of course we'd go ballistic if a high level recruit backed out and went to UW.  That's not entirely what happened here though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »
Brian Butch was higher rated, or certain.
As was Rashard Griffith.
Probably Sam Okey, as well.

Vander is, by all accounts, a great prospect, but Wisconsin has had better.

Yes, Okey and Butch were McDs all Americans.  Rashard Griffith was the #2 ranked recruit in the country.  (Behind Rasheed Wallace.)  Michael Finley I believe was also ranked higher.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:04 PM »

Yes, Okey and Butch were McDs all Americans.  Rashard Griffith was the #2 ranked recruit in the country.  (Behind Rasheed Wallace.)  Michael Finley I believe was also ranked higher.

Stop this nonsensical talk!  Pretty soon people will think that players are done a disservice by going to Wisconsin at Madison!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »
Ultimately Mu wins this war though in a big big way.  UW had it's highest ever rated recruit in hand.  Bo's ability to go out and sign a top 50 rated SG in Vanders spot is impropbable.  Most likely a top 150 type kid. This si a big loss for Wisco, they are already woefully short on athleticism and talent.  Vander would have been a huge infusion in a huge time of need as Hughes moves on. 

MU wins because besides now having a chance with Vander Blue, we now have the inside track with Junior Lomboda.  He is a highly rated wing player from Madison Memorial.  Not only is he tight with Maymon but this whole Vander Blue mess can't be sitting well with Vander's teammates.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »
Let's say a MU recruit had a meeting with the coaches about his path to qualifying and someone "leaked" details of the meeting to the press and the article wasn't complimentary (whether it's truthful or not).  Let's further stipulate that the article stated that the recruit was thinking about de-committing, but had nothing solid in that area, just a vague "source" told me.

I would like to think that our response wouldn't be to bash the kid and say that he couldn't cut it anyway.  I guess we can't know for certain, but I think we (most of us at least) are more respectful than that.

Of course we'd go ballistic if a high level recruit backed out and went to UW.  That's not entirely what happened here though.

To some degree I think comparing Marquette and Wisconsin is apples and oranges in this case.  Don't get me wrong... the reaction was pretty ugly on some of the boards.  However, Wisconsin-Madison fits into about 20 states in the union that have one truly major state university that has a good basketball program.  Any time a local kid verbals and de-commits this is the reaction you get.

I travel a lot and I see these parochial views consistently in those states.  In the case of Marquette, being private we just don't think any local kid should go to Marquette and that is it.  Maybe some Catholic kid who went to Marquette High... maybe you would get this reaction.

I am not saying private schools fans bases have better reactions in these cases... just saying the expectations are different.  And thus the reaction.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »

To some degree I think comparing Marquette and Wisconsin is apples and oranges in this case.  Don't get me wrong... the reaction was pretty ugly on some of the boards.  However, Wisconsin-Madison fits into about 20 states in the union that have one truly major state university that has a good basketball program.  Any time a local kid verbals and de-commits this is the reaction you get.

I travel a lot and I see these parochial views consistently in those states.  In the case of Marquette, being private we just don't think any local kid should go to Marquette and that is it.  Maybe some Catholic kid who went to Marquette High... maybe you would get this reaction.

I am not saying private schools fans bases have better reactions in these cases... just saying the expectations are different.  And thus the reaction.

I don't think there would be much of an issue with Blue if he hadn't of verballed to UW first.  I don't think UW fans would have gone nuts over this had he simply not made his choice until now.  I also don't think the UW fans would go terribly nuts if he doesn't choose a place like MU or another B10 school.  If he goes to Missouri for instance, I think Badger fan would be upset, but they'd forget about it.  But if he chooses us, Minnesota or Indiana?  Ouch...

However, I do think that we would be reacting similarly had it happened to us.  Look at Jerry Smith.  What if he had verballed to MU first, and *then* went to Louisville.  What do you think the reaction would be on MU Scoop or when he returned to the BC?  It would be ugly.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »

I don't think there would be much of an issue with Blue if he hadn't of verballed to UW first.  I don't think UW fans would have gone nuts over this had he simply not made his choice until now.  I also don't think the UW fans would go terribly nuts if he doesn't choose a place like MU or another B10 school.  If he goes to Missouri for instance, I think Badger fan would be upset, but they'd forget about it.  But if he chooses us, Minnesota or Indiana?  Ouch...

However, I do think that we would be reacting similarly had it happened to us.  Look at Jerry Smith.  What if he had verballed to MU first, and *then* went to Louisville.  What do you think the reaction would be on MU Scoop or when he returned to the BC?  It would be ugly.
I agree with you - all that would happen here after he decommitted.  What I'm saying is that I would hope that people around here wouldn't blast the kid and his grades before he decommitted because of rumors and an article, thereby theoretically causing him to decommit.  Or at least giving him an easy excuse for it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
I agree with you - all that would happen here after he decommitted.  What I'm saying is that I would hope that people around here wouldn't blast the kid and his grades before he decommitted because of rumors and an article, thereby theoretically causing him to decommit.  Or at least giving him an easy excuse for it.

Ah OK...understood.  I would hope not either.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 02:26:56 PM »

But Blue didn't commit to Marquette or any other school.  I agree that we would lose it if someone verballed here and then left for Looeyville.  However, that is not what happened in this case.  Who knows where he is going?

I do think there is more ire when a kid doesn't go to his state school (after verbaling).  When you have multiple state schools then the wrath seems to be less.  There is a general feeling in some states that they "own" their in-state recruits.  Prviate schools and states with multiple state schools do not think in this manner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
There is a general feeling in some states that they "own" their in-state recruits.  Prviate schools and states with multiple state schools do not think in this manner.

I don't agree with you in the case UW.  I grew up in Madison and never sensed this one bit in any sport.  I never sensed it with Wes Matthews for instance.  I don't remember him being booed at Memorial games that year, and I was at the state semifinal where he went head-to-head against Landry and never noticed anything.

Sometimes I think you guys get a little delusional about UW Madison and how representative their message boards are of their general fan base. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »

I don't agree with you in the case UW.  I grew up in Madison and never sensed this one bit in any sport.  I never sensed it with Wes Matthews for instance.  I don't remember him being booed at Memorial games that year, and I was at the state semifinal where he went head-to-head against Landry and never noticed anything.

Sometimes I think you guys get a little delusional about UW Madison and how representative their message boards are of their general fan base. 

Coming from out of state, it was easy to learn that the state of Wisconsin can be very parochial. You may not have witnessed Matthews being booed at Memorial but people certainly witnessed him being booed in the Kohl Center. We didn't see this with Diener or Novak because being from Fond du Lac and Brown Deer is as much of a toss-up as you'll get in the state regarding loyalties to MU or UW. As a result, they never felt that "ownership" and, in turn, never felt betrayed when they weren't considered a serious option.

I can easily see Maymon getting booed in December. I could see Blue getting booed if he ends up at MU. I don't think Landry ever received hair-dryer treatment in the Bradley Center. Certainly Boo Wade never was singled out. The younger player at Memorial (drawing a blank on name) may get booed if he ends up in Milwaukee. It's happened.

And, wasn't there some "ownership" issues with Madison's own Phil Kessel when he chose to play in Dinkytown with the Gophers? That distasteful mess made national news.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 03:48:36 PM »

We are not talking about the average fan... this whole debacle is surrounding the message boards and that fan base.  I also do not agree in the Wes Matthews case.  There was quite a bit of negativity when he committed to MU including mentions of his parents just like in the Maymon case.

I guess we have to separate the average person on the street, who simply cheers for a Marquette or Wisconsin, and the more intense fan that we see on the boards.  It is those fans to which I am referring, lest I be considered delusional.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
Why wouldn't Marquette players get booed at the Kohl Center?

Who cares about booing?

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »

Who cares about booing?

+1

I hope our players get booed at the Kohl Center, because that means they are doing something right--torching the Badger faithfuls hopes and dreams.

I think UW felt betrayed in regards to Matthews because of the parents who went to Madison and expected Wes to just follow.  But like most kids they could care less about father's legacy and want to create their own (I did the same thing by not choosing either UW or UofM and going to Marquette--an academic coup).

I forgot who made the comment that MU doesn't seem to be on pace for Blue, that they smelled "Pitino."  I don't see why we wouldn't be in the running, considering that I do not think these kids are too young to know the "Flintstones" or even the Illini players from Peoria, I think it was.  I think they probably talked about that a lot as they were a top 50 high school team with three high-major players on the team.  Why wouldn't Blue follow with Maymon and Junior come after with the idea of becoming something legendary.

Working with young kids, you realize this bond growing together and how it can turn into an "us against the world" type of motto. But alas it is just speculation and we must remember the kid is 17 years old and although we want him to join our program we gotta understand the kid has to do what is best for himself in the long run, for we will see him for 4 years there will be a lifetime after he is done playing ball, of all the things UW is supposed to stand for they should have known that-shows what type of an establishment it is...
Marquette University, Spring '08

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »

Thank God they aren't.  I've seen enough crapping on parents of our players the last 5 or 6 years to hope and pray it's just a chemically imbalanced few.  That's what I hope at least.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »

Who cares about booing?

Didn't the Simpsons teach us anything?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
or even the Illini players from Peoria, I think it was. 

Detour...
Peoria Manual to be specific. (Sergio McClain, Frankie Williams, Marcus Griffin, asst coach Wayne McClain)  That group won 4 consecutive big school state basketball championships in Illinois.

back to your regularly scheduled Vander Blue discussion.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
We are not talking about the average fan... this whole debacle is surrounding the message boards and that fan base.  I also do not agree in the Wes Matthews case.  There was quite a bit of negativity when he committed to MU including mentions of his parents just like in the Maymon case.

I guess we have to separate the average person on the street, who simply cheers for a Marquette or Wisconsin, and the more intense fan that we see on the boards.  It is those fans to which I am referring, lest I be considered delusional.

Marquette fans booed like crazy when Joe Wolf came into the Arena playing for Carolina.  His family was surprised at the reception. 

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
Wolf's press conference was supposed to be a formality with his announcement for MU.  When that didn't happen, I heard that he got a lot of grief from all over the state.  I have a hard time believing his family was surprised at the reception.  They might have been surprised at fans throwing pennies on the court towards Kenny "Penny" Smith.

UNC was also recruiting Dave Popson at the time (considered to be a Wolf clone), and it was reported that neither wanted to play at UNC with the other.  Wolf committed first, and then Popson also chose UNC.

feedback