[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who are Marquette's Rivals?  (Read 11342 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Who are Marquette's Rivals?
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2022, 10:23:23 AM »
I had ND as a backup school. Eff ND.

Can't wait till we beat 'em next season, and beat 'em again the following year. And then hopefully Brey or whoever is in charge then won't be too wussy to keep the series going.

That's why I didn't write a lot of MU people were rejected by ND. I feel like MU people mostly wanted a city, jesuit stuff, yadda yadda. Though I did know a couple people who went to MU purely to up the GPA to transfer to ND and a few more who went to MU and yet still would root for ND over MU on game day.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:00:19 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2022, 10:25:03 AM »
I was accepted at ND and Michigan.   I chose MU.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »
I was accepted at ND and Michigan.   I chose MU.

Didn't want to exceed expectations eh?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2022, 11:02:56 AM »
I have always reacted negatively to elitist arrogance.    My campus visits to ND and UM were hosted people who represent the worst of their universities.    Elitist.   Arrogant.     My visit to MU involved a floor party.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2022, 11:17:24 AM »
That's why I didn't write a lot of MU people were rejected by ND. I feel like MU people mostly wanted a city, jesuit stuff, yadda yadda. Though I did know a couple people who went to MU purely to up the GPA to transfer to ND and a few more who went to MU and yet still would root for ND over MU on game day.

I actually didn't apply to ND, I was just jokin'. But I did choose MU because I wanted to be in a real city that had pro sports and other stuff I liked.

One of my friends freshman year did transfer to ND, and a couple of us went to visit him the next year; they party pretty good, too (or at least did back then). Reinforced my belief that EVERY school is a party school.

I didn't know anybody at MU who publicly cheered for ND over MU, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you said was true. The ba$tards.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2022, 11:20:42 AM »
I actually didn't apply to ND, I was just jokin'. But I did choose MU because I wanted to be in a real city that had pro sports and other stuff I liked.

One of my friends freshman year did transfer to ND, and a couple of us went to visit him the next year; they party pretty good, too (or at least did back then). Reinforced my belief that EVERY school is a party school.

I didn't know anybody at MU who publicly cheered for ND over MU, but I wouldn't be surprised if what you said was true. The ba$tards.

I could be wrong but if I recall correctly Heisenberg on here does
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
I could be wrong but if I recall correctly Heisenberg on here does

I knew a lot of Warriors who cheered for ND in football (and Madison too), but none who cheered for 'em in basketball.

Hope that's not true about Smuggles, but he did say to sell AAPL about 1,000% ago, so who knows?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2022, 01:51:50 PM »
Wisconsin 35
Notre Dame 24
Louisville 22
DePaul 18
UW-Milwaukee 1

My comments below the scoring: "Marquette's conference history (none for many years, then in different conferences, then too much conference realignment) impacts its rivalries. That's most notable now the MU doesn't play Notre Dame and Louisville much any more.

Is it a rivalry (with UW-Milwaukee) if one team has not won a single game?! MU is 39-0 against Milwaukee."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2022, 02:01:36 PM »
Is it a rivalry (with UW-Milwaukee) if one team has not won a single game?! MU is 39-0 against Milwaukee."

I considered UW-Milwaukee and left them off in part because we don't play them that often of late and also because of the incredibly lopsided record disparity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2022, 02:18:19 PM »
This exercise made me sad & nostalgic because we only play one of these teams regularly. Clearly you can tell I'm a graduate of the 00s:

Wisconsin 40
Louisville 20
Cincinnati 20
Notre Dame 20

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2022, 04:39:35 PM »
While I had Wisconsin as far and away our biggest rival, I think I would still rather win a Big East game than the game against them.  I feel like a conference win is more important at the end of the year even though a win over Wisconsin is considered a good win.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2022, 04:52:41 PM »
No game on the current schedule gets me more excited than Wisconsin.  Conference games are great but there's always another one is 4 days.  You only play Bucky once a year.  That makes it special.

And in the NBE the "rivals" vary by year.  The closest seemed to be Seton Hall with Markus and Powell.  My biggest pet peeve with the NBE is everyone loves each other.  I was excited when DePaul's AD went rogue about the forfeit policy.  Often times it's just a lovefest.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2022, 05:12:33 PM »
I would agree with this as it currently stands. Wisconsin will always be a natural rival for us, but it’s pretty tame and friendly relative to other rivalries. Many fans are indifferent about UW/MU or even like the other school when they aren’t playing each other. We also don’t really cross paths in recruiting all that much either.

A lot of people say Notre Dame, but I think that one is just before my time. That game never even did anything for me when we were in the “old” Big East. Aside from the fact it was a high major conference opponent obviously.

for me, the key to a true rivalry is the intermingling of the fan base and student body. At MU we all grew up with a lot of classmates who went to or were fans of ND, Madison, and DePaul. You also have people from those schools who also applied to MU, or were rejected by MU (DePaul). And yes, there are MU students/grads who were rejected at ND for one reason or another. Are there bragging rights tied to the game with friends, family, or coworkers?

I don't know anyone who actually went to Louisville or Seton Hall (are they actual schools that hold classes?) so those games, other than being competitive games, haven't meant more to me personally than most others on the conference schedule.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Viper

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2022, 07:08:52 PM »
While I had Wisconsin as far and away our biggest rival, I think I would still rather win a Big East game than the game against them.  I feel like a conference win is more important at the end of the year even though a win over Wisconsin is considered a good win.
do you live in WI? I have MU classmates that live in NY, Philly, NCarolina. They don’t understand the WI hate. They don’t live in WI, and in our day, RED sucked. Now? RED fan base is like lava. They overwhelm. No escape. Last season was rough for MU…except we beat RED!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2022, 08:45:06 PM »
My biggest pet peeve with the NBE is everyone loves each other.  I was excited when DePaul's AD went rogue about the forfeit policy.  Often times it's just a lovefest.

I mentioned this in the survey. I felt like the rivalries were more fierce in the old Big East. I think it would help if we had multiple teams winning the league and competing for it regularly.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2022, 08:57:04 PM »
This exercise made me sad & nostalgic because we only play one of these teams regularly. Clearly you can tell I'm a graduate of the 00s:

Wisconsin 40
Louisville 20
Cincinnati 20
Notre Dame 20

If we had done the survey while I was in school, it would have been:

Notre Dame  50
DePaul          20
Louisville       15
Wisconsin      10
Loyola             2
Detroit            2
Kentucky        1               

We played Notre Dame annually and it was quite a rivalry. Same for DePaul and Louisville.

From the Hughes game until the meltdown, we never lost to Wisconsin. Ever. They were a nobody.

Kentucky is on the list because of the rivalry between Al and the Bigot.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2022, 10:33:41 PM »
UW 35
DP 25
ND, SH 10
UL, Butler, Vill, X 5

Still feel some rivalries with the old independents even though haven't played many in a long time. Need these BE ones to percolate a little more like SH has.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2022, 10:46:14 PM »
Does any team/school/student body consider Marquette to be their rival?

When it was Al and Digger, and for a few years (maybe even a decade or so) after that, ND definitely considered us their rival. Obviously, they've moved on, and so have we.

Wisconsin? Some there might begrudgingly consider us a rival, but not "the" rival.

One of the cool things if we actually get really, really good again is that a couple/few schools will hate our arses.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2022, 01:24:51 AM »

When it was Al and Digger, and for a few years (maybe even a decade or so) after that, ND definitely considered us their rival. Obviously, they've moved on, and so have we.

Wisconsin? Some there might begrudgingly consider us a rival, but not "the" rival.

One of the cool things if we actually get really, really good again is that a couple/few schools will hate our arses.

DePaul.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2022, 08:05:48 AM »
DePaul.

Could be. It would make sense.

We had some great games with DePaul when I was at MU -- Aguirre & Co. had ushered in a renaissance at DePaul. It would be great if both programs got off the schneid and went at it again as rivals battling for something worthwhile.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2022, 08:06:08 AM »

Dayton probably still has some delusions about rivalries with all the Midwest catholic schools
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »
I think DePaul and Marquette would definitely have considered one another top rivals in the 70s and early 80s.  It's really cooled off though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2022, 08:34:15 AM »

UW-Madison doesn't want us to be their biggest rival, but who else is there that would consider them a rival? Indiana and Purdue have each other? Ohio State and Michigan State both look at Michigan first. For Iowa, Cy-Hawk will always be bigger. So who does that leave? Minnesota? I suppose, but like Marquette, it's not the rival UW wants.

It's us, whether they want to admit it or not. And in the last 20 years, UW is 27-8 against Minnesota and 10-10 against us. Is it a rivalry when you win 77% of the time?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2022, 08:49:15 AM »
Dayton probably still has some delusions about rivalries with all the Midwest catholic schools

Based on the number of comments about Dayton posted on this board, one could argue they're probably our third biggest rival (after Wisconsin and Notre Dame).

The hate is still strong nearly 14 years removed from the last meeting.