[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Who are Marquette's Rivals?  (Read 11341 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Who are Marquette's Rivals?
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2022, 02:43:57 PM »
I gave Wisconsin 40 points and Villanova 25 points.

Everything else was ancient or minimal and included Notre Dame, Providence, West Virginia (love ya Huggie), DePaul (think of them the way Wisconsin thinks of us), Louisville, Kentucky (dates to Al and DWade) and Dayton for a point (we hated them way back when...)

Villanova has been a big game for us and we've had some incredible moments against them. Yeah, they're not Notre Dame and Louisville in hatred, but we have not played those guys in years.

I think you and I might have been the only two too realistically put in Nova. This unfortunately goes to show, after the old Big east rupture Marquette really only has a single rival they consistently play.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2022, 02:59:52 PM »
Wisconsin Wisconsin Wisconsin and…Wisconsin
-Better Dead, Than RED

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2022, 03:00:59 PM »
Wisconsin - 20
DePaul - 10
Butler - 10
Xavier - 10
Notre Dame - 10
Louisville - 10
Cincinnati - 10
Villanova - 10
Seton Hall - 10
UConn - 10

I don't live in Wisconsin, but I recognize they are our top rival these days.  I really miss Louisville, Cincy and ND.  I think if DePaul ever turns it around they will quickly become our biggest rival, in conference, anyway.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »
I ranked the teams based on how insufferable their fan base is. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2022, 03:10:54 PM »
I gave Wisconsin 40 points and Villanova 25 points.

Everything else was ancient or minimal and included Notre Dame, Providence, West Virginia (love ya Huggie), DePaul (think of them the way Wisconsin thinks of us), Louisville, Kentucky (dates to Al and DWade) and Dayton for a point (we hated them way back when...)

Villanova has been a big game for us and we've had some incredible moments against them. Yeah, they're not Notre Dame and Louisville in hatred, but we have not played those guys in years.

We're playing Notre Dame next year.

We last played Louisville in the 2018-19 season. Not like it was that long ago.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2022, 03:14:23 PM »

So we're like our own rivals then???

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2022, 03:36:29 PM »
So we're like our own rivals then???

We're sufferable, or Scoop wouldn't have lasted 15 years!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »

They don’t allow enough votes to do that for ND or Wisconsin

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2022, 04:07:47 PM »

100 on ND, eh?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »

Scoop is in drivers ed?  F me.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »
I think you and I might have been the only two too realistically put in Nova. This unfortunately goes to show, after the old Big east rupture Marquette really only has a single rival they consistently play.

I hung 25 on Nova too

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2022, 04:21:53 PM »
As someone who suffered through the early MCC days, I'm just glad that nobody is voting for Evansville.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
As someone who suffered through the early MCC days, I'm just glad that nobody is voting for Evansville.

That league and those teams.  Grrrrr
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
I'd say our only true rivalry is Wisconsin. For a rivalry to take place, both sides need to consider it one. UW fans love to beat MU and vice versa. I'm not sure any other fan base in the Big East considers Marquette to be a rival.

We did have one with Cincinnati and Louisville in CUSA, but those days are long gone.

As for Notre Dame, they long ago stopped considering Marquette to be a rival. Since the 70's the series was pretty one-sided in ND's favor. I went to a game there in 1988 and there hundreds of tickets lying on the ground outside the Joyce Center for people to claim and the place was half empty on a Saturday afternoon.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2022, 05:28:25 PM »
I'd say our only true rivalry is Wisconsin. For a rivalry to take place, both sides need to consider it one. UW fans love to beat MU and vice versa. I'm not sure any other fan base in the Big East considers Marquette to be a rival.

We did have one with Cincinnati and Louisville in CUSA, but those days are long gone.

As for Notre Dame, they long ago stopped considering Marquette to be a rival. Since the 70's the series was pretty one-sided in ND's favor. I went to a game there in 1988 and there hundreds of tickets lying on the ground outside the Joyce Center for people to claim and the place was half empty on a Saturday afternoon.

That was probably true in 1988 but since then we had two solid renaissances of basketball I've been to two MU games there and there wasn't an empty seat in the place
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2022, 05:40:00 PM »
I went:

Wisconsin - 60
DePaul - 20
Notre Dame - 10
Xavier - 5
Milwaukee - 5

The Xavier and UWM points are mostly because I think those have the most likelihood to evolving into more of a rivalry.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2022, 06:54:34 PM »

I think Wojo and Scholl differed with you in their presser following the Hausers departure when they were obviously pissed about  criticism. Pretty sure Scoop was the "noise" they kept referring to repeatedly while trying to sell whoever would listen to them that all was just fine with the program. Imagine anyone calling us noise. The nerve! Insufferable is a classier description than "noise".
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2022, 07:10:59 PM »
60 Wisconsin
40 seton hall cause I fn hate their fans.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2022, 08:26:01 AM »
60 Wisconsin

Pretty much this.  Although I'd probably go 30 SHU, 5 Butler, 5 Creighton for the same reasons as SHU.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2022, 08:48:29 AM »
I think Wojo and Scholl differed with you in their presser following the Hausers departure when they were obviously pissed about  criticism. Pretty sure Scoop was the "noise" they kept referring to repeatedly while trying to sell whoever would listen to them that all was just fine with the program. Imagine anyone calling us noise. The nerve! Insufferable is a classier description than "noise".

So you're saying if it weren't for MUScoop, Wojo would still be the coach!

Blessed be the fruit.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »
60 Wisconsin

I would agree with this as it currently stands. Wisconsin will always be a natural rival for us, but it’s pretty tame and friendly relative to other rivalries. Many fans are indifferent about UW/MU or even like the other school when they aren’t playing each other. We also don’t really cross paths in recruiting all that much either.

Seton Hall is another temporary good conference rival (like Pitt, Louisville, etc). Run this poll again in 10 years and they likely won’t be on here. I’ve spent a lot of time the last few years in NYC and always try and catch the MU games. When they play Seton Hall, their fans are the most obnoxious and malevolent of them all. I still really wish Markus would have made that shot at the buzzer in the BET against them a few years back. My calendar is circled for that one next Saturday. We’ve lost about 5 in a row and it’s time that changes.

A lot of people say Notre Dame, but I think that one is just before my time. That game never even did anything for me when we were in the “old” Big East. Aside from the fact it was a high major conference opponent obviously.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »
I would agree with this as it currently stands. Wisconsin will always be a natural rival for us, but it’s pretty tame and friendly relative to other rivalries. Many fans are indifferent about UW/MU or even like the other school when they aren’t playing each other. We also don’t really cross paths in recruiting all that much either.

Seton Hall is another temporary good conference rival (like Pitt, Louisville, etc). Run this poll again in 10 years and they likely won’t be on here. I’ve spent a lot of time the last few years in NYC and always try and catch the MU games. When they play Seton Hall, their fans are the most obnoxious and malevolent of them all. I still really wish Markus would have made that shot at the buzzer in the BET against them a few years back. My calendar is circled for that one next Saturday. We’ve lost about 5 in a row and it’s time that changes.

A lot of people say Notre Dame, but I think that one is just before my time. That game never even did anything for me when we were in the “old” Big East. Aside from the fact it was a high major conference opponent obviously.

I feel like a lot of ND people had MU as a backup school and a lot of MU kids had applied to ND (some accepted & some rejected), add that to the general entitlement of their fan base that they are expected to win, the fact that their the only Catholic school since Georgetown in the 80s that has a massive non affiliated fanbase, and that they're generally snobby people then it becomes a pretty big rivalry. Then add how many times we've played them which (in 2013) was only behind WI as the most played series. Then there's the similar colors which just bugs me. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2022, 09:41:40 AM »
It’d be hard for me not to include WVU at least in some capacity. Huggy’s still there and they always had the worst fans IMO, probably down to the fact that the only Beast tourney I’ve  been to was the year Jay won POTY, and WVU fans wouldn’t shut up about it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 09:45:30 AM »
I feel like a lot of ND people had MU as a backup school

I had ND as a backup school. Eff ND.

Can't wait till we beat 'em next season, and beat 'em again the following year. And then hopefully Brey or whoever is in charge then won't be too wussy to keep the series going.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »
So you're saying if it weren't for MUScoop, Wojo would still be the coach!

Blessed be the fruit.

This should have been in teal, right? Not saying that at all. Simply a case of Wojo and Scholl trying to shift the blame for the fiasco (not that the blame was Scholl's at all to begin with) from Wojo being exposed for what he was and wallpapering over the cracks in the foundation. Scoop was their punching bag.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

feedback