[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pig SIUE  (Read 11273 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Pig SIUE
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2021, 07:13:16 AM »
One thing I will add that I liked even considering opponent. Overall we took care of the ball pretty well for an inexperienced team.

Lewis with 6 TOs was brutal. Especially most of the TOs themselves.

But rest of the team had only 8. The 4 bench guys had 2 total in like 70 minutes combined.

Kolek forced things a bit in the second half. But most of the game took great care of the ball with it in his hands all the time.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2021, 08:18:15 AM »
Stevie is our only hope to significantly exceed expectations. #Pray
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2021, 08:27:12 AM »
Stevie is our only hope to significantly exceed expectations. #Pray
I think I get what you are saying, but please elaborate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »
6 Power 6 teams lost last night. We're not one of them.

Xavier and Ohio St barely edged out a win, plenty of other schools need OT. We're not one of them.

Not saying we should be comfortable but based on 3/4 of that game I'm happy we came out with a comfortable margin at the end and live to fight another day.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2021, 08:32:58 AM »
Also, shout out to the guy sitting behind me last night I'm sure was a scooper.  Didn't stop talking the first 10 min of the game, relentless negativity.  Highlights included

"Glad to see Wojo left us his offense."
"All these young players know how to do is jack up 3s, clearly the coaches arent good enough to prevent that"
"we can't run an offense, i know i'd install even a basic offense, pfft"
"Shaka supposedly runs a HAVOC defense, this is no defense at all.  Pathetic"

Then randomly started rambling with his buddy about the Bruce Pearl UWM years and how he was "embarrassed my alma mater was terrified to play UWM"..."but then again, UWM was a way better team and program at that time so it would have probably ruined MU's reputation".

He was a JOY!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2021, 08:37:25 AM »

This exactly is how I feel. There have been plenty of Crean/Buzz/Wojo clunkers against cupcakes.  This is literally game 1 of the Shaka era, with a brand new / young team. Yet our basketball experts expect a harlem globetrotter vs the generals type game.  Lots of mistakes that can be corrected, but high energy, lots of young talent was displayed. 

Xavier and Ohio St barely edged out a win, plenty of other schools need OT. We're not one of them.

Not saying we should be comfortable but based on 3/4 of that game I'm happy we came out with a comfortable margin at the end and live to fight another day.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »
I'm pulling for this team, hoping that the team outperforms on the season.

But, the "havoc" press that I saw last night was 50/50, half the time the full court press played havoc on our own team - leading to multiple people being out of position on the same possession.

I know these cupcakes are scheduled to work on defense and offense systems and understand the limitations of the players.  But if we play like that against better competition, we get boat raced by about 30.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:57:56 AM by lurch91 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2021, 09:13:13 AM »
This exactly is how I feel. There have been plenty of Crean/Buzz/Wojo clunkers against cupcakes.  This is literally game 1 of the Shaka era, with a brand new / young team. Yet our basketball experts expect a harlem globetrotter vs the generals type game.  Lots of mistakes that can be corrected, but high energy, lots of young talent was displayed.

I agree so much with this.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
Agree with plenty I've read here, but unless I skimmed over it, everyone's missing the worst part of the night-- the Fox score bug. That thing was massive and yet had no fouls, timeouts, not even bonus. And they very rarely added any stat graphics. (Is that a FS2 bottom of the barrel producer thing?) Awful.

Also the announcers screwed up enough basic events that I wondered if they were still doing a remote broadcast.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2021, 09:28:29 AM »
Agree with plenty I've read here, but unless I skimmed over it, everyone's missing the worst part of the night-- the Fox score bug. That thing was massive and yet had no fouls, timeouts, not even bonus. And they very rarely added any stat graphics. (Is that a FS2 bottom of the barrel producer thing?) Awful.

Also the announcers screwed up enough basic events that I wondered if they were still doing a remote broadcast.

Yes. What the hell was that scoreline? That was something out of 1996. And then you compound it with the very worst announcing team that FS employs ... ugh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »

When I switched to FS1, they had the fouls and TOs for the teams in those banners. Seems like it was being updated throughout the night.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Conspiracy idea. Shaka cut a deal to make Brian Barone look good in his homecoming.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »

It's true. Hoping to see a cleaner game against New Hampshire, but know it's a process too. Super young and that was evident. Onward and upward.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2021, 09:40:28 AM »

The difference, of course, was the quality of opponent. Ours was #311 going into the game. The only thing to learn from this game frankly will be after next game when we see how the team and coaches adjusted.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »
The difference, of course, was the quality of opponent. Ours was #311 going into the game. The only thing to learn from this game frankly will be after next game when we see how the team and coaches adjusted.

Northern Illinois was lower and beat Washington.

I'm not gonna go through each buy opponent that won or kept it within 10 or went to OT and calculate the difference and compare it to our difference but the point is that it seems like a lot of majors came out a little rusty or overly excited.
Maigh Eo for Sam

fjm

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:01 AM »

I'm not gonna go through each buy opponent that won or kept it within 10 or went to OT and calculate the difference and compare it to our difference but the point is that it seems like a lot of majors came out a little rusty or overly excited.

Also wondering if this has to do with recent transfer rules?

A lot of these mid/low major cupcakes have their cores from the last 2-3 years.

Where the major schools are putting together new transfer in/freshmen.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a constant theme of high majors losing or just sneaking by from now on as they are putting together puzzle pieces and mid majors are playing with 7-9 of the players they’ve had the last two years but always lose just 1 or two of their core.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2021, 09:49:10 AM »

Yes.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2021, 09:50:55 AM »

Sorry, that's just explaining away what it was. A crappy game against the worst team on our schedule. It wasn't unsurprising frankly with the roster makeup. What will be surprising is if this isn't markedly cleaned up for UNH.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
Sorry, that's just explaining away what it was. A crappy game against the worst team on our schedule. It wasn't unsurprising frankly with the roster makeup. What will be surprising is if this isn't markedly cleaned up for UNH.

It's really not if you read my first post, it's more of a "at least we survived, let's clean it up, get better." Mentality. You responded saying I wasn't factoring in the rating. I responded with the one example I was willing to look up (my dad went to NIU so I passively root for them) and I reiterated that we're not alone and at least we survived let's clean it up.

There's no "explaining it away"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »

How many of those P6 teams that lost, have a new coach, a new system, only 3 players from the year before with 1 of the 3 being suspended and gave lots of minutes to inexperienced players?

We don't have a good team.  We are projected to finish between 9-11 in our conference this year.  There will be a lot of losses.  We will quite possibly have a losing record and not make any tournaments.  That we won yesterday was a huge success.  Enjoy the journey.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »
They have to hustle back on defense better
 Kolek needs to hit a few jump shots to keep the Big East defenses honest.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »
How many of those P6 teams that lost, have a new coach, a new system, only 3 players from the year before with 1 of the 3 being suspended and gave lots of minutes to inexperienced players?

We don't have a good team.  We are projected to finish between 9-11 in our conference this year.  There will be a lot of losses.  We will quite possibly have a losing record and not make any tournaments.  That we won yesterday was a huge success.  Enjoy the journey.

I'm with you in general but "huge" seems generous there.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »
Yes.

Well it obviously showed. Hopefully that will be going away quickly.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
Dickey Simpkins is so stupendously uninteresting.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2021, 11:16:49 AM »

It was a huge success beating the #311 team in the country by far less than the 20 points MU was favored by?

Shaka will love coaching here with those expectations!