[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: TOP 10 RANKING!  (Read 11310 times)

MomofMUltiples

• All American
Re: TOP 10 RANKING!
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:09 PM »
I'd rather win every game by 1-2 points and look ugly doing it than beat a few in blowouts but lose 1/3 of our games.  Not sure the metrics are rewarding the right things.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »
I'd rather win every game by 1-2 points and look ugly doing it than beat a few in blowouts but lose 1/3 of our games.  Not sure the metrics are rewarding the right things.

In essence, the system you are advocating for is the RPI. Rewards record and record of opponents, ignores how you win.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Strictly rewarding wins regardless of score was clearly a faulty model. But the models that reward margins also have holes. The NET currently is that something in the middle. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction, I believe. Though I still want to see a regressive formula for margin of victory.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »
In essence, the system you are advocating for is the RPI. Rewards record and record of opponents, ignores how you win.

It's a bit of a conundrum. Strictly rewarding wins regardless of score was clearly a faulty model. But the models that reward margins also have holes. The NET currently is that something in the middle. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction, I believe. Though I still want to see a regressive formula for margin of victory.

Brew, I haven't studied the NET much this season - but it seems to me that non-con SOS is way less important than it was with RPI.  Obviously you still need to challenge yourself with some tough non-con games, but with NET, wouldn't there be some benefit to basically playing all of your buy games against god awful 300+ RPIish teams, and pounding them, as opposed to playing decent teams in the 150-250 range.

Basically a rags and riches type non-con.  Play your tough games like we did against Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Wisconsin, K State and Buffalo - but then fill out the rest of your non-con with garbage teams and just pound them.  I am talking purely from a numbers perspective - not what is best for actually building a winning team.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2019, 04:07:15 PM »
I've been thinking the same of late. Va Tech is the poster child for this, but UW also benefited from absolutely hammering the bottom tier cupcakes.

When looking at teams in the past, it was pretty clear that RPI and SOS had a strong correlation. Now NET and SOS seem to just be different metrics. I'll be honest, when I was looking at the last few teams in my last S-Curve, I couldn't really separate Creighton, Arizona, and Butler. Very different profiles, but hard to really say whose is best. Ultimately, I picked Creighton on strength of schedule. It was the one thing that really jumped off the page. I'll be interested to see how that plays in come March 17.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »
I've been thinking the same of late. Va Tech is the poster child for this, but UW also benefited from absolutely hammering the bottom tier cupcakes.

When looking at teams in the past, it was pretty clear that RPI and SOS had a strong correlation. Now NET and SOS seem to just be different metrics. I'll be honest, when I was looking at the last few teams in my last S-Curve, I couldn't really separate Creighton, Arizona, and Butler. Very different profiles, but hard to really say whose is best. Ultimately, I picked Creighton on strength of schedule. It was the one thing that really jumped off the page. I'll be interested to see how that plays in come March 17.

For sure.  Certainly not advocating for playing terrible teams, as that probably is not good for anybody, really.  I do hope the Committee puts more stock in SOS as opposed to years past, as it seems its not built into NET nearly at all, and was a huge factor in RPI.

Pounding terrible teams isn't what should put you in the tournament. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
Has RPI been completely abandoned by the tournament committee?  Or are they still going to use it to a lesser extent in conjunction with the other metrics?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

romey

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2019, 04:21:10 PM »
Is the RPI even in existence out there?  It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of this year's teams ranked by NET vs. RPI.
NM, just checked it out.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:24:51 PM by romey »

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »
Is the RPI even in existence out there?  It would be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of this year's teams ranked by NET vs. RPI.
NM, just checked it out.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

MU is #17.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »
Has RPI been completely abandoned by the tournament committee?  Or are they still going to use it to a lesser extent in conjunction with the other metrics?

From what they've said, completely abandoned. I've listened to interviews with Dan Gavitt & he's indicated while it was worthwhile for its time, the rise of analytic models show that its time is done.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2019, 04:42:11 PM »
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

MU is #17.

Interesting...Wisconsin-Madison is #29 RPI.  And Kansas is #1.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
Interesting...Wisconsin-Madison is #29 RPI.  And Kansas is #1.

A good example how SOS matters in RPI. Kansas is also #1 in SOS.

feedback