[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette played as expected and...  (Read 11307 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Marquette played as expected and...
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Kansas went in at halftime and prepared. Wojo gave some speech he read in a motivational book and we got destroyed. I saw it from five rows away. I was a Wojo guy until now.
Heard the hsl time talk was an awesome powerpoint.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
Let's be realistic. We played respectably with only 20 bad minutes vs. a much more talented team who should be ranked #1 or 2 next week. Defense was greatly improved. Let's wait and see how the next few weeks play out. This was much easier to watch than the last time we played in 2003.

20 bad minutes? That is half the game. A better loss than the 2003 loss. Tell that to the committee on selection Sunday.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
20 bad minutes? That is half the game. A better loss than the 2003 loss. Tell that to the committee on selection Sunday.

Did you expect a win last night?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
I can't believe people are complaining about the defense right now.

We are 59th in defense. We are top 100 in defensive EFG% and top 100 in 3 of the 4 factors

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 01:49:03 PM »

We are 59th in defense. We are top 100 in defensive EFG% and top 100 in 3 of the 4 factors

We aren't 59th in defense. Just like we aren't 20th in offense. Pomeroy numbers at this time of year are heavily based on the previous season and roster makeup.

The eFG% numbers and the other four factors are accurate, but the Off/Def rankings don't really tell you current year information until mid-December and won't be truly accurate until mid-January. Our actual ppp is 1.048 and when you look at the four factors it's clear that our defense has been much better than our offense so far.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2018, 01:49:32 PM »

Yes, our defense is better than last year, but people don't like facts, or science.   It's a strange time. Not sure your data shows we're better, but other data sources do.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »
We aren't 59th in defense. Just like we aren't 20th in offense. Pomeroy numbers at this time of year are heavily based on the previous season and roster makeup.

The eFG% numbers and the other four factors are accurate, but the Off/Def rankings don't really tell you current year information until mid-December and won't be truly accurate until mid-January. Our actual ppp is 1.048 and when you look at the four factors it's clear that our defense has been much better than our offense so far.

So last year's numbers should be inflating our offense and hurting the defense. Is it safe to assume we are actually better than 59th on defense so far?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »
So last year's numbers should be inflating our offense and hurting the defense. Is it safe to assume we are actually better than 59th on defense so far?

I do think that's a safe assumption, though our preseason numbers were likely inflated by Morrow and Chartouny. Our raw defensive ppp so far is 0.922, better than the adjusted estimate from Pomeroy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
Did you expect a win last night?

I did not. I just don't consider not losing as much as the last time anything talk about. I do expect to beat Louisville. A neutral court loss to UL would be a harbinger of a pretty weak non conference record and bring back memories of last season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
I did not. I just don't consider not losing as much as the last time anything talk about. I do expect to beat Louisville. A neutral court loss to UL would be a harbinger of a pretty weak non conference record and bring back memories of last season.

Agreed. Friday is the first game that could swing the needle one way or the other for me. I wouldn’t say fold the season if we lose, but it’d be a game we’d need to make up elsewhere if we did.

Could you win at IU or vs. Kansas? Sure, but you’d need a lot to go your way. This Louisville game is a game that yes is very loseable but is one you need to get.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:54 PM »
Agreed. Friday is the first game that could swing the needle one way or the other for me. I wouldn’t say fold the season if we lose, but it’d be a game we’d need to make up elsewhere if we did.

Could you win at IU or vs. Kansas? Sure, but you’d need a lot to go your way. This Louisville game is a game that yes is very loseable but is one you need to get.

Yep. I think Friday is very important for several reasons. Most important will be to help the team build some confidence. Second, it will prevent scoop from becoming a war zone!

Class71

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
I'll disagree.  The defense is better than last year.  We have lost to two very good teams.  No one stops Kansas' interior game. Not us, not Michigan State earlier this year, not anyone.  Our defense still isn't good, but it has gotten better.

Morrow is the biggest disappointment, but the season is young. He just seems lost, but perhaps that is because he is playing the 4 and not the 5.

Matt Heldt, played very well last night.  Good position defense. He isn't quick enough to do it for long periods, but he made it difficult for their guys to do anything down low.

DEFENSE did not loose the game. Driving into a crowd, putting up bad 2`s versus going to an outlet pass for an open three in the second half lost the game. We do not have the skill to drive and score against top teams but we have great 3 point shooters when they are open. It is madness to repeat what does not work with our players. Yes Markus was a major contributor to the loss but Wojo does not use him properly. Markus is a great outside 3 point shooter. He is not a point guard, a dribble drive wizzard, a great passer or a great defender. It is time for Wojo to face reality and work with the talents this team has and stop trying to teach what apparently can not be done.

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

feedback