[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No NBA Combine Invite For Rowsey  (Read 11290 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
No NBA Combine Invite For Rowsey
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »
I was hoping that Andrew Rowsey would have received an NBA combine invite. The list is below and contains some marginal names.  It would be great if Andrew could sign on with someone and get on a summer team and hopefully make a G League team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/complete-2018-nba-draft-combine-list-211843026.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Boozemon Barro

• All American
Re: No NBA Combine Invite For Rowsey
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:06 PM »
Happ is also not on the list.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »
Only Big East players who declared w/o agents to get invites are DD, Omari Spellman, and Khyri Thomas. No invites for Ponds, Strus, or Govan. I thought Ponds would get an invite but not surprised by Strus or Govan.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
If Kostas had a different last name it would be hard to see him getting an invite.

NBA is a different game......might be 2nd round draft and stash guy I guess.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
If Kostas had a different last name it would be hard to see him getting an invite.

NBA is a different game......might be 2nd round draft and stash guy I guess.
Maybe the Bucks will take him in 2nd round and put him in the G-League on a 2-way contract to appease Giannis.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Maybe the Bucks will take him in 2nd round and put him in the G-League on a 2-way contract to appease Giannis.

Alex Kostas is the NBA version of Wally?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 11:02:02 AM by PTM + Chartouny = Us »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
Alex is the NBA version of Wally?

With how much his name was brought up here despite absolutely no interest from MU, how could you not know it’s Kostas?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 11:01:33 AM »
With how much his name was brought up here despite absolutely no interest from MU, how could you not know it’s Kostas?

Well, ignore, but I'm so ashamed.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »
Even Homer was saying this
Goal is National Championship

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 03:20:51 PM »
No wonder I saw Rowsey at the local Arby's.

Coincidentally, I was there because I didn't get an invite either. 

We didn't make eye contact.

Kind of a rule at Arby's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »
Oh snap.

https://twitter.com/slrussell/status/992793920269639682

Kaiser Gates from Xavier has hired an agent. I'm not sure he even declared for the draft so he is looking to go overseas. Significant blow for the x men.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Would have been more surprising  if he had been invited.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Would have been more surprising  if he had been invited.

^^^ This.
SS Marquette

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
Oh snap.

Kaiser Gates from Xavier has hired an agent. I'm not sure he even declared for the draft so he is looking to go overseas. Significant blow for the x men.
He would be a big fan favorite in the German Basketball Bundesliga....
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 11:31:17 AM »
Even Homer was saying this

Bucks don't have a 2nd this year

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 11:38:10 AM »
I actually think it would be best for Kostas not to be in the Bucks organization.  He's not an NBA player and won't be without a lot of time and a lot of work.  Giannis may not agree so I would rather have him mad at some other team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
I actually think it would be best for Kostas not to be in the Bucks organization.  He's not an NBA player and won't be without a lot of time and a lot of work.  Giannis may not agree so I would rather have him mad at some other team.

If (when?) Kostas goes undrafted, do the Bucks bring him in as a free agent? That could be just as awkward.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »

Look for Kostas to go overseas with his other brother who is playing in Greece.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Oh snap.

Eeek.

Big loss.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 01:35:36 PM »
Here's my rough guess at Big East standings based on what we currently know:

1. Villanova (even if DD and OS go pro)
2. Marquette
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Providence
6. St. John's (assuming Ponds stays)
7. Creighton (assuming Thomas goes)
8. Georgetown (assuming Govan stays)
9. Seton Hall
10. DePaul (even if Strus comes back)

Back of the Big East could get really ugly if Ponds, Govan, and Strus all decide to leave. If Thomas came back to Creighton that could shoot them into the top 3...that's how good he is. I think 5 teams from the BEast get in, maybe six if Ponds stays....and maybe 7 if Ponds and Thomas stay.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

2. Marquette
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Providence
9. Seton Hall

Back of the Big East could get really ugly if Ponds, Govan, and Strus all decide to leave. If Thomas came back to Creighton that could shoot them into the top 3...that's how good he is. I think 5 teams from the BEast get in, maybe six if Ponds stays....and maybe 7 if Ponds and Thomas stay.

Why do you feel Nova will win conference if DD and OS go pro joining Brunson and Bridges?  That is 4 starters off their team.  That leaves Paschall and Booth with 2 sophomores in Cosby-Rountree and Gillespe. 

Big East is going to be pretty weak next year..think Xavier will be in back half of league.  Don't see more than 4 teams making it at best.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
Why do you feel Nova will win conference if DD and OS go pro joining Brunson and Bridges?  That is 4 starters off their team.  That leaves Paschall and Booth with 2 sophomores in Cosby-Rountree and Gillespe. 

Big East is going to be pretty weak next year..think Xavier will be in back half of league.  Don't see more than 4 teams making it at best.

Agree that it will be a down year for the conference, but let's hold off on statements like this until we know for sure that players aren't coming back.  Both Thomas and Ponds are good enough to get their respective teams in the field IMO if they return.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 02:33:18 PM »

A couple of reasons.

1. Paschall and Booth are fantastic players. Booth is arguably the best returning defender in the Big East and Paschall is a nightmare matchup
2. They have a monster recruiting class coming in. Joey Hauser is our second highest rated Wojo recruit and they have two players coming in ranked higher than him....and another top 50 kid
3. The Gillsepie and Cosby-Roundtree kid both had absurd advance stats. They didn't play a lot because of the quality of players in front of them but I see them both doing very well next season
4. Jermaine Samuels was a top 50 kid coming out of high school but dealt with injuries all of last season. If he's fully healthy, I think he could make a big jump.
5. Jay Wright is a HOF coach.

Don't get me wrong. If they lose both DD and OS, we have a legitimate shot to take them next season. I personally think they edge us out by just a little bit.

Xavier is a hard one to place they lose a lot but bring in 1 stud and 2 quality grad transfers. If Steele can make all the pieces fit together, I think they make the tourney.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Don't see more than 4 teams making it at best.

?-(

Care to make a wager? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 02:49:48 PM »
?-(

Care to make a wager?

I don't think it's that crazy of a prediction. Nova and Marquette are the only two I would stake money on (and Creighton if KT stays). I think Butler, SJU,  Xavier and Providence all have the pieces but will likely be bubble teams all season. I think we get 5 but 4 or 6 isn't a crazy prediction
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2018, 03:12:25 PM »
I don't think it's that crazy of a prediction. Nova and Marquette are the only two I would stake money on (and Creighton if KT stays). I think Butler, SJU,  Xavier and Providence all have the pieces but will likely be bubble teams all season. I think we get 5 but 4 or 6 isn't a crazy prediction

I think you might be underselling Providence a little.  Diallo is a very good player,  Holt will be back as a serious post presence with Young, and this Duke kid is supposed to be the real deal, and if there's one thing you know will happen, it's that Cooley will get the most out of his PG.  They could still fall onto the bubble, but based on what's there and Cooley's coaching ability, I'd project them in right now. 

As for total number of bids, you still have to wait for Thomas and Ponds decisions.  Thomas would be the best two way player in the league, and it wouldn't be very close IMO, and Ponds could lead the conference in scoring.  Both 1st team Beast potential.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 03:14:04 PM by Its DJOver »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
I think you might be underselling Providence a little.  Diallo is a very good player,  Holt will be back as a serious post presence with Young, and this Duke kid is supposed to be the real deal, and if there's one thing you know will happen, it's that Cooley will get the most out of his PG.  They could still fall onto the bubble, but based on what's there and Cooley's coaching ability, I'd project them in right now. 

As for total number of bids, you still have to wait for Thomas and Ponds decisions.  Thomas would be the best two way player in the league, and it wouldn't be very close IMO, and Ponds could lead the conference in scoring.  Both 1st team Beast potential.
The Friars also get Emmitt Holt back.  He was just recently cleared for activities.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »

Could be. The way I look at it, Providence shouldn't have even made the tournament last season. Their KenPom of 63 was the second lowest for an at large last season and one of the lowest to ever make the tourney. I only found 5 in the last 6 years to earn an at large with a lower score.

From that team they are losing 3 of their 4 best players. They are replacing them with two really good freshman and Emmitt Holt. I don't know much about Holt's injury so I know he is cleared to play but will he be the same player? I honestly don't know.

There's also a question at the PG position. Makai Ashton Langford was supposed to be a stud recruit but he was very meh as a freshman. Rising junior Maliek White was just as bad though he dealt with injuries all season. Unless one of those two makes a major jump, or one of the two freshmen who are more SGs than PGs, can step up...I see them having some trouble at the most important position. That being said, Cooley has been a master of developing PGs so if anyone can find a lead guard in that group, Cooley can.

Finally, I'm curious about how well they will be able to shoot it next season. Providence was already a bad outside shooting team (33.2% on the season). Bullock, Lindsey, and Cartwright combined for 158/223 (70.8%) of Providence's three pointers last season. Holt brings some shooting but neither of the two incoming freshmen are known as knockdown outside shooters. If they don't have consistent threats from deep, defenses may be able to give them the Derrick Wilson treatment and clog the lane making it difficult for slashers like Diallo and posts like Young and Holt.

All that being said, I expect them to be better than their 63rd KenPom ranking from this past season. They look like a top 45 team to me. I think they teeter around the bubble all season and end up just on the right side of it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:20:50 PM by TAMU McEwen »
TAMU

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 11:18:25 PM »
A couple of reasons.

1. Paschall and Booth are fantastic players. Booth is arguably the best returning defender in the Big East and Paschall is a nightmare matchup
2. They have a monster recruiting class coming in. Joey Hauser is our second highest rated Wojo recruit and they have two players coming in ranked higher than him....and another top 50 kid
3. The Gillsepie and Cosby-Roundtree kid both had absurd advance stats. They didn't play a lot because of the quality of players in front of them but I see them both doing very well next season
4. Jermaine Samuels was a top 50 kid coming out of high school but dealt with injuries all of last season. If he's fully healthy, I think he could make a big jump.
5. Jay Wright is a HOF coach.

Don't get me wrong. If they lose both DD and OS, we have a legitimate shot to take them next season. I personally think they edge us out by just a little bit.

Xavier is a hard one to place they lose a lot but bring in 1 stud and 2 quality grad transfers. If Steele can make all the pieces fit together, I think they make the tourney.

Completely agree with all of this. Their class has three top 50 recruits, including a 5-star PG in Jahvon Quinerly who will be a smooth transition from the Brunson era just as Brunson was from Arch. Gillespie and Samuels will be high impact players next year, with DCR and Dylan Painter as solid bigs. They are also on the final list for Joe Cremo, the most sought after grad transfer for this upcoming season. Something to keep an eye on.

One of Jay's best traits as a coach is player development which is evident each and every year. This time last year Spellman and Donte weren't on any NBA radars - now look at them... I don't think both (or maybe either for that matter) leave but if so we'd have to fight through them for the BE crown for sure. Having said this I could see us steal our home game against them and definitely contend for the 2 seed.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Completely agree with all of this. Their class has three top 50 recruits, including a 5-star PG in Jahvon Quinerly who will be a smooth transition from the Brunson era just as Brunson was from Arch. Gillespie and Samuels will be high impact players next year, with DCR and Dylan Painter as solid bigs. They are also on the final list for Joe Cremo, the most sought after grad transfer for this upcoming season. Something to keep an eye on.

One of Jay's best traits as a coach is player development which is evident each and every year. This time last year Spellman and Donte weren't on any NBA radars - now look at them... I don't think both (or maybe either for that matter) leave but if so we'd have to fight through them for the BE crown for sure. Having said this I could see us steal our home game against them and definitely contend for the 2 seed.

This is misguided for two reasons:

1) Brunson played with Arch. Jah will not play with Brunson. That matters.

2) Brunson and Jah are not the same player. Especially not the Junior version of Brunson and the rookie version of Jah.

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
This is misguided for two reasons:

1) Brunson played with Arch. Jah will not play with Brunson. That matters.

2) Brunson and Jah are not the same player. Especially not the Junior version of Brunson and the rookie version of Jah.

Never said they were the same player - they are not. Very different skill sets. Arch and Brunson are also different style players/types of PG's. I'm merely saying that Quinerly will be a very good player especially under the tutelage of Jay and the upperclassmen like Booth who is a really heady guard with a ton of experience. Anytime Jay can get a 5-star PG it can be dangerous for the rest of the country (e.g Brunson).

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »

Cooley is an excellent coach and his teams always show up ready to play hard.
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:13 AM »
Cooley is an excellent coach and his teams always show up ready to play hard.

Except in the NCAA tournament
Maigh Eo for Sam

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
Except in the NCAA tournament

Friars have struggled in NCAA tourney.  Yet considering Cooley has been on the job 7 years, and made the NCAA each of the last 5 years at a program - Providence - with no NCAA tourney appearances since 2004, is pretty solid.

People in glass homes shouldn't throw stones.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »

2. Marquette
3. Butler
4. Xavier
5. Providence
9. Seton Hall

theBabyDavid thinks that TAMU is drunk on the Blue and Gold Kool Aid. Slurper, anyone?
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2018, 12:13:11 PM »
theBabyDavid thinks that TAMU is drunk on the Blue and Gold Kool Aid. Slurper, anyone?

Welcome back to Scoop, tBD.
Hopefully you can avoid whatever transgressions bought your last account the farm.

What about TAMU's predicted order of finish do you disagree with?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »

Nah, currently on a keto diet. Too much sugar in kool aid.

Where do you think we finish based on what we know now?
TAMU

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2018, 01:14:45 PM »
Welcome back to Scoop, tBD.
Hopefully you can avoid whatever transgressions bought your last account the farm.

What about TAMU's predicted order of finish do you disagree with?
He has no idea he is a baby
Goal is National Championship

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 09:20:12 AM »
Never said they were the same player - they are not. Very different skill sets. Arch and Brunson are also different style players/types of PG's. I'm merely saying that Quinerly will be a very good player especially under the tutelage of Jay and the upperclassmen like Booth who is a really heady guard with a ton of experience. Anytime Jay can get a 5-star PG it can be dangerous for the rest of the country (e.g Brunson).

Actually, Arch and Brunson aren't all that different outside of Brunson's inside game which wasn't developed until his last season. Both are in the moment streak shooters with average athleticism who rely upon positioning to determine their success. Arch is a better passer.

You still misdirect on your original point. The transition will not be like Arch to Brunson because Jah will not be playing under or next to Brunson this coming season. And it's weird to say Booth will provide similar tutelage to either Arch and/or Brunson. He's not remotely a similar player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »

Welcome back, K - this place just became considerably more interesting!

Trust The Process

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:11 AM »
Actually, Arch and Brunson aren't all that different outside of Brunson's inside game which wasn't developed until his last season. Both are in the moment streak shooters with average athleticism who rely upon positioning to determine their success. Arch is a better passer.

You still misdirect on your original point. The transition will not be like Arch to Brunson because Jah will not be playing under or next to Brunson this coming season. And it's weird to say Booth will provide similar tutelage to either Arch and/or Brunson. He's not remotely a similar player.

Yeah I get it - but you are missing my point. Culture, coaching, attitude, and player development are severely underrated in college basketball. Nova is shedding light on this and bringing it to the forefront. This is the my primary reason for the easy transition. It's not at all weird to say this about Booth when considering this point. Seniors are a big part of the teaching aspect in the Villanova program, they treat them as coaches almost. On top of that, Booth's played a key role in TWO National Championships - I'd say that's a pretty great guy to learn from as a young guard in Jay's system.

You are pulling one line out of my original post and disputing it - look at it as a whole and tell me I'm wrong..

feedback