Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Well alllllllll right (we beat the young Americans)  (Read 11562 times)

tower912

• All American
Well alllllllll right (we beat the young Americans)
« on: December 21, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »
1.   Finally, a laugher.
2.   Good to see all of the young and new guys getting extended run.     
3.   Froling needs more lift on those 3's.     And he needs to not pass to his teammates on the bench. 
4.  Helmets.    MU needs to practice and play in helmets. 
5.  MU has looked better on defense, but nobody has run high pick and rolls lately.    American runs Princeton.
6.   Markus has his bad game out of his system.    Careless with the ball.   Shot not going in.    He should bounce back against X. 
7.  Froling is not quick.   
8.  MU beat up on a cupcake.   Did what they were supposed to do.    Merry Christmas, heal quickly, the fun begins Wednesday.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Well alllllllll right (we beat the young Americans)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:45 PM »
Best defense on the floor was American's offense.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:02:23 PM »
Hate the negativity towards Froling. Kid looked very good today, despite the rust. He has the potential to be a game changer for this team...and in the future, oh my.

The front court depth we’ll have next season is a comedy of riches.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:03:58 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 08:09:27 PM »
Hate the negativity towards Froling.

I am not negative toward Froling.   I think he is going to only get better as the season goes on.   He isn't quick.   He didn't have lift on his 3 pt shot tonight.   He made a couple of sloppy passes.   I would give his overall play a B.    He has a nice touch, good hands, sees the floor and wants to make the good pass.    It is clear that he has game.    Needs to get his game legs and his timing.    I don't consider that critical.    I think if he had been eligible all season, MU would have had a shot at beating Purdue. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »
Nice to stomp a cupcake for a change instead of playing to their level.

Merry Xmas to all, the next game is top-25 rated X.

For years I wondered why we couldn't have 3-point shooters like other teams. Now we do, and I wonder why we can't play better D. Saw some improvement on D tonight but it was American.

The real season begins 12/27. Be warriors.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Easy one, but needed.  Good place on the schedule for one of these.

Who were the visionaries that predicted Theo would lose all his minutes and be glued to the bench the rest of the season once Froling became eligible?  He's really starting to look good now that he's not fouling 19 times per 40 mintues or whatever it was.

9/7/4 is closer to the line in the "predict Froling's first game" thread.  He'll come around.

After the brutal effort last game, domination on the boards tonight.  John and Froling can pull them down.

I don't think anyone realistically wouldn't have signed up for 9-3 non-conference at the start of the season.  Now the fun begins.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
Sloppy first half.
Great game all around otherwise.

I agree with you Chapman. 9-3 is a noncon record I will definitely take.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »
First 10 minutes of the game, too many easy drives for American.

Great seeing Marquette cover the spread.

Harry with some nice passes.

Very glad Rowsey is healthy.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
American just wasn’t good. Poor D, lower level Offense. No high screens that exposed us in past games.

We did good and I’m an optimist, looking for an X win.....but I feel like we didn’t see much that we can trust about Froling and our team.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
Heldt - 14 minutes
Theo - 18 minutes

Theo has earned the time over the last couple of games. Great improvement after looking lost for the first 5 or 6 games.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 09:32:17 PM »
I actually was quite impressed with Froling's passing - several good ones after the one wayward bullet out of bounds. Liked the little jump-hook, too.

Theo definitely can help our team during the Big East season.

Sacar is growing on me.

Markus was quite bad ... but he's allowed. If he had to be bad, this was the perfect night for it.

I would love to see a big photo of Rowsey's face after he took that elbow. Looked like a scene out of Slap Shot.

Sam is effen good.

American is not effen good. That's OK. Almost every major in the country is playing cupcakes right now as they prepare for conference openers. Except for Big Ten schools, who played their conference openers in August, I believe.

I was hoping for 10-2 in NC, but really if somebody had told me we'd be 9-3, I'd have happily taken it. Only a couple of real stinkers, hung in there even in our losses, avoided the tragic loss, got some great individual performances and a few fine team performances, we got to see that our freshmen and Sacar are viable players, and we beat F%cky by 903 points. I'll take it!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:14 PM »
27-8 run out of half time.  Harry 7 boards, Markus 6 turns. Sam perfect.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »
I didn't see the game, and am only looking at messages and the box score...I don't like the idea of Froling taking the same number of 3-pointers as Rowsey. In the flow of the game, was that ok?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
Highest MU eFG% in the history of MU In Pomeroy.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 10:00:41 PM »
I didn't see the game, and am only looking at messages and the box score...I don't like the idea of Froling taking the same number of 3-pointers as Rowsey. In the flow of the game, was that ok?
He was pretty open on all of them, and none were with a huge amount of time left on the shot clock.  He did, as Tower alluded to, shoot them pretty much standing flat-footed, almost no lift off the floor.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
He was pretty open on all of them, and none were with a huge amount of time left on the shot clock.  He did, as Tower alluded to, shoot them pretty much standing flat-footed, almost no lift off the floor.

Thanks. That helps me understand Froling's 1-5 shooting. Still, he took 5 shots from outside the arc (in 21 min), and Rowsey only took 5 3-pointers (in 28 min). That strikes me as an imbalance. I'm curious about that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 10:16:12 PM »
Thanks. That helps me understand Froling's 1-5 shooting. Still, he took 5 shots from outside the arc (in 21 min), and Rowsey only took 5 3-pointers (in 28 min). That strikes me as an imbalance. I'm curious about that.

Let me see if I can answer that.  MU ran 2-3 purposeful pick and pops to Harry.  We were up by many, many points.  They wanted to work on that.  Personally I thought Harry had a solid game.  It'll cone to him.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 10:22:35 PM »
Thanks, glow. Sounds like the strategy, especially given a large lead, was to focus on the pick and pop, which could explain what Froling took the same number of 3-pointers as Rowsey.

(I also like the idea of Rowsey not taking as many as he might normally take since Sam was so hot.)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »
In another few weeks, he hits those shots.   He was wide open, they were in rhythm, his shooting form from the waist up was solid, good release and rotation.   He did not get lift with his legs and had a little bent-legged lurch that I assume will improve has he gets his game legs.   

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 05:36:28 AM »
Can the higher ups at Fox sports not see or hear that Dickey Simpkins is absolutely Fin horrible?  There has got to be a color commentator that is less horrible,  in fact I cannot imagine there is one worse.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 05:49:41 AM »
Given the new tax bill i figured the Americans would be a little more competitive...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
Can the higher ups at Fox sports not see or hear that Dickey Simpkins is absolutely Fin horrible?  There has got to be a color commentator that is less horrible,  in fact I cannot imagine there is one worse.

I am certainly not a fan, but he was fine last night.  After the late first half run, you just have to find nonsense to talk about, because the game was over.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 06:36:04 AM »

Sharing is caring.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 06:48:51 AM »
I'm amazed how angry the announcers seem to make people. I get annoyed when they give wrong information but other then that an announcer has never affected my viewing experience
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 07:09:11 AM »
Any night where the announcers are the biggest complaint is a good one.    They had to fill for basically the whole game.   

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »
I'm amazed how angry the announcers seem to make people. I get annoyed when they give wrong information but other then that an announcer has never affected my viewing experience

It's been a while since i have listened to Simpkins but he can be actively annoying.  I seem to remember a game a few years ago where he said 'hashtag' in front of any point he was trying to make. 

Another one is Len Elmore...really because he repeats himself over and over and actively takes a side. 

In general though I think I can count on one hand the number of announcers that ruin the game experience for me (Simpkins, Elmore, Buck, and if i thought hard enough there would be 2 more).

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
I am certainly not a fan, but he was fine last night. 

Yeah, that was the Very first time I didn't mute the sound on all of his games.  I consider it a Christmas Gift.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:16 AM »

I agree for the most part and dont think ive ever compkained about another color guy but Vitale who in his later years just detracted from the game.  Some of them are really good, most fine either way and none really are consequential to my experience.  But Simpkins is soo bad that he does detract, he sounds extremely unitelligent and just says stupid annoying things.  Its unfortunate that Fox is investing billions into college basketball yet keep throwing this boob out there.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
I really enjoyed watching Froling play the 4 and how that altered the flow of the game. Don't get me wrong - he's still rusty. But he and Theo played well off each other, and the fact that he should be able to give us spacing while also giving size changes the complexion of the team quite a bit.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
Hate the negativity towards Froling. Kid looked very good today, despite the rust. He has the potential to be a game changer for this team...and in the future, oh my.

The front court depth we’ll have next season is a comedy of riches.

I can remember all the bellyaching about the lack of BIGS; lets hope Markus, Greg and Anim can step up and "guard". Let''s fill that last schollie with a PG.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2017, 08:55:53 AM »
I really enjoyed watching Froling play the 4 and how that altered the flow of the game. Don't get me wrong - he's still rusty. But he and Theo played well off each other, and the fact that he should be able to give us spacing while also giving size changes the complexion of the team quite a bit.

Agreed, but........ it was American.    I keep flashing back to the Grambling game when some were ready to anoint Dawson.    Last night was fun to watch, undoubtedly.    The alley oops from Harry to Theo were awesome.    But it was garbage time against American.   Now, when they do it against Seton Hall, then I will be jumping up and down screaming. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »

I hope Harry can at the very least give us a modest scoring threat inside the arc. That will make us so much more difficult to defend. I don't recall seeing Rowsey, Howard, Hauser, Theo and Frohling being on the court at the same time; but would like to see that inside presence with our power shooters.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
I hope Harry can at the very least give us a modest scoring threat inside the arc. That will make us so much more difficult to defend. I don't recall seeing Rowsey, Howard, Hauser, Theo and Frohling being on the court at the same time; but would like to see that inside presence with our power shooters.

Guys...its Froling.  No H.  Not directly strictly at you, 69, as many posters do this.  Time to get it right now that the kid is playing.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
Agreed, but........ it was American.    I keep flashing back to the Grambling game when some were ready to anoint Dawson.    Last night was fun to watch, undoubtedly.    The alley oops from Harry to Theo were awesome.    But it was garbage time against American.   Now, when they do it against Seton Hall, then I will be jumping up and down screaming.

Gotta walk before u can run

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »

While his shooting from distance did not cause me to annoint him the next seth curry i was relatively pleased with the fluidity and ease in which he finished around the rim.  Understand it was anerican but the mechanics n confidence were there.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 09:32:11 AM »
While his shooting from distance did not cause me to annoint him the next seth curry i was relatively pleased with the fluidity and ease in which he finished around the rim.  Understand it was anerican but the mechanics n confidence were there.

Amen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »

Seth ain't no good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 09:55:01 AM »

+1

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Seth ain't no good.

He's no Steph but averaged 13 PPG on 48/42/85 splits last year for Dallas. He's certainly pretty good.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »
I am certainly not a fan, but he was fine last night.  After the late first half run, you just have to find nonsense to talk about, because the game was over.

And he wore Marquette colors!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 10:06:21 AM »
I can remember all the bellyaching about the lack of BIGS; lets hope Markus, Greg and Anim can step up and "guard". Let''s fill that last schollie with a PG.

We're too late, DePaul got him.  He's eligible to play Jan 2nd.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:14:21 AM by 4everCrean »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:27 AM »

Truth is Froling is the best offensive center this team has, and he can sub in for Sam without taking any pressure off the opponent's defense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »

7.  Froling is not quick.   

I didn't get to watch the game until this morning, but I did read this topic first.  I am actually very surprised by this statement.  I mean, he's not a burner by any stretch, but for a big guy he has really good feet.  He had a couple moves on the offense end that were nice.  He also got switched defensively onto their PG and did a nice job of staying in front of him.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »

I agree. Theo had some room to operate inside with fooling out there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »

Dickey is terrible. My memory ain't what it used to be, so I might be forgetting somebody, but I think he's the worst I've ever heard to be employed on national broadcasts (in other words, not counting local homer hacks).

If we are winning comfortably like last night, it's actually not bad. I just spend the night laughing and making fun of him.

If it's a close game, Dickey really bothers me. I hate hearing silliness when I'd like a little insight - or just silence. I've even "called out" excellent announcers like Bilas on this - don't spend 3 minutes talking about the "free throw jinx" while a good game is going on in the background. It's stupid, it's irrelevant and it adds nothing. With Bilas, it's unusual for him to do stuff like that. With Dickey, "stupid, irrelevant and adds nothing" describes his everyday announcing.

And if we're playing badly in a game we should win (like E. Illinois), I find that he makes me furious - because I'm already pissed off because it looks like we're gonna lose to a cupcake.

So I admit that some of these are my own issues. But Dickey IS really, really bad in every imaginable way. Fox Sports can do better. Hell, it would be pretty tough for them to do worse.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Good point on Bilas.  Love him when he is focused.  I hate when he goes off on a tangent for 3 minutes just to make his point, at the expense of disregarding the game action.  He is a Duke homer, which is good for us at the time being.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »

“Sacar is growing on me”———-Nads ya gotta check dat chit out wit a skin croaker. Mite bee serious, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:52 PM »
He's actually perfect for a game against American on a Thursday night.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »

I didn't get to watch the game until this morning, but I did read this topic first.  I am actually very surprised by this statement.  I mean, he's not a burner by any stretch, but for a big guy he has really good feet.  He had a couple moves on the offense end that were nice.  He also got switched defensively onto their PG and did a nice job of staying in front of him.

Thought the same. Quite agile and had a few nice up-fakes that got him into the lane for floaters. I think it's more of his smarts but for being 6'11 I found him to be plenty mobile. His threes looked like he was taking a short two - he's that tall.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »
He's actually perfect for a game against American on a Thursday night.

No hes not. If the game is a non game n a broadcaster is gonna go off topic than at least a good one can do it in a non stupid way.  Dickey makes everyone stupider for having to listen to him.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
No hes not. If the game is a non game n a broadcaster is gonna go off topic than at least a good one can do it in a non stupid way.  Dickey makes everyone stupider for having to listen to him.

Who cares? He’s not ideal, but I’ll take him over not being able to watch the game on my tv.

I think we’ll see less of Dickie once BE play starts.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »
One of the Bulls' championship banners had Simkins spelled wrong! They had to re-do it, but not until after somebody pointed it out.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
One of the Bulls' championship banners had Simkins spelled wrong! They had to re-do it, but not until after somebody pointed it out.

Its wasnt Dickie??

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

speakin of annoying announcers-just happened to catch bill walton with an orange and a globe in his hands, explaining the earth's axial tilt blah blah blah and i thought dave pasch was going to pull out a bottle of jack.  man that guy has some serious brain damage from his dead head days or something
don't...don't don't don't don't

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
speakin of annoying announcers-just happened to catch bill walton with an orange and a globe in his hands, explaining the earth's axial tilt blah blah blah and i thought dave pasch was going to pull out a bottle of jack.  man that guy has some serious brain damage from his dead head days or something

Yeah, not crazy about him, but dreading the day Fox's pair up Dickey  and Len Elmore for our games.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2017, 09:45:09 PM »
Yeah, not crazy about him, but dreading the day Fox's pair up Dickey  and Len Elmore for our games.

Two color guys?  Umm ok

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2017, 10:07:45 PM »
Two color guys?  Umm ok

The preferred phrase is “black.”  “African-American” works too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »
Orr non-traditional, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:48 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

The preferred phrase is “black.”  “African-American” works too.
Lol.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
Highest MU eFG% in the history of MU In Pomeroy.

Dis not true

72.5% vs. American.

Just last year they shot 76.0% vs. DePaul

#FakeNews
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
Dis not true

72.5% vs. American.

Just last year they shot 76.0% vs. DePaul

#FakeNews

But, MU only shot 71% on free throws in that game, thus the AU game had a higher O Eff. ;)

Man, that DU team was not good defensively. I remembered that Rosemont game as the better shooting MU game (eFg% = 71.2). That DU home game above, MU hit 81% from two...defense any one?

Btw, MU shot a 72.2% eFG% against X last year in the W. Hope MU can come out hitting the treys from break.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2017, 02:30:56 PM »

I would rather have Dickey Simpkins following me around for a week and describing my day to day activities than listen to five minutes of Bill Walton.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »

Completely disagree. Walton is the GOAT

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2017, 04:55:24 PM »

I would rather have Dickey Simpkins following me around for a week and describing my day to day activities than listen to five minutes of Bill Walton.
Amen.......and I hate DS.

feedback