[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Potential of Crean Getting The Louisville Job  (Read 11292 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: The Potential of Crean Getting The Louisville Job
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
The university doesn't have a permanent president or athletic director either.

Sounds familiar...
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »

Well, that takes them out of the running for Shaka Smart.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
From an offshore betting site. Bazz and Wojo both on the board.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 07:56:25 PM »

That cluster sounds familiar

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »
Serious question, will Louisville have any assistant coaches this year? From the complaint filed, Coach-1 appears to be Jordan Fair. Kenny Johnson is probably the other coach (outside of Pitino) mentioned. Also, if Fair/Johnson were complicit, along with Pitino, how can Padgett have been clueless?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
Serious question, will Louisville have any assistant coaches this year? From the complaint filed, Coach-1 appears to be Jordan Fair. Kenny Johnson is probably the other coach (outside of Pitino) mentioned. Also, if Fair/Johnson were complicit, along with Pitino, how can Padgett have been clueless?

Yeah I don’t understand how they promote an assistant coach. Cut all ties with all coaches.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
MU82 is the most successful coach here.  He hires JB to recruit.  They make it work for a year and then realize their differences are too much to overcome.

Woulda made for a good book ... maybe even a mini-series!

Alas, they hired Padgett. Maybe he needs a coupla assistants! I bring no record of working with male basketball players (at least not since my son was in 6th grade) and preference for 3-hour workdays. I think I'm their man!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 10:56:01 PM »
Yeah I don’t understand how they promote an assistant coach. Cut all ties with all coaches.

Wonder if it's a desperate attempt to keep some players around.  With sanctions likely, getting kids to stick around will be a challenge.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 11:22:46 PM »
Can't see hiring a former player and current assistant of Pitino as a wise move. I thought they would cut all ties.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
It is a one year, interim hire.  No big name was going to take it while the earthquake was still ongoing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
It is a one year, interim hire.  No big name was going to take it while the earthquake was still ongoing.

In reality, no small name was going to take it right now given the uncertain future of the program.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:50 AM »
Make no mistake, Louisville admin still wants to win this year.  They made a hire that kept all of their current players happy.  If you think they wanted to immediately cut all ties to Pitino in order for "what is ethical" this is still college sports.  The opportunity to continue to make money will always supersede the duty for an institution to do what is right.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »

They don't have much of a choice in the short term. Somebody has to be in charge right now. Even in the best of circumstances it would take several weeks at least to hire a new coach, so promoting him for now was the best option.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »
Make no mistake, Louisville admin still wants to win this year.  They made a hire that kept all of their current players happy.  If you think they wanted to immediately cut all ties to Pitino in order for "what is ethical" this is still college sports.  The opportunity to continue to make money will always supersede the duty for an institution to do what is right.

I didn't think they would do it to be ethical. I thought they would do whatever they could to to try and appease the NCAA before they get involved.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 11:13:51 AM »
I didn't think they would do it to be ethical. I thought they would do whatever they could to to try and appease the NCAA before they get involved.

That, and the fact that their coaches are still involved in a federal investigation. Ethical or not, it’s plain stupid to have 2 coaches implicated in a federal investigation and think, “No problem, this coach on the same staff is totally fine.” I understand no big name coaches are leaving their job weeks before the season to take on the absurd amount of uncertainty that Louisville has, but you bight the bullet on this season, give someone an interim giant one year paycheck, and start your job search for your next full time coach today.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »
Arkansas and Baylor both made wise decisions when they went through scandals within their respective football programs.  Arkansas hired John L. Smith, who - while on staff - knew he was just a one-year stop-gap after the Bobby Petrino fiasco.   Baylor hired Jim Grobe, a coach with zero ties to anyone on staff, but much experience coaching at a similar institution at Wake Forest, as an interim coach.

Louisville would have been wise to do something similar - someone in the vein of a Steve Fisher, Kevin O'Neill, Jim Crews, etc., or a coach that has zero expectation to remain past the season, but is respected enough to carry a team through adversity. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2017, 12:45:59 PM »
Arkansas and Baylor both made wise decisions when they went through scandals within their respective football programs.  Arkansas hired John L. Smith, who - while on staff - knew he was just a one-year stop-gap after the Bobby Petrino fiasco.   Baylor hired Jim Grobe, a coach with zero ties to anyone on staff, but much experience coaching at a similar institution at Wake Forest, as an interim coach.

Louisville would have been wise to do something similar - someone in the vein of a Steve Fisher, Kevin O'Neill, Jim Crews, etc., or a coach that has zero expectation to remain past the season, but is respected enough to carry a team through adversity. 

I don't think many people associated with those programs think that the Smith or Grobe hires were "wise decisions."  The both were put in charge of programs with high expectations and failed pretty miserably. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »
Followed a guy with a 'LOOAVUL' license plate in a Cardinal alumni plate bracket today.    Almost felt sorry for the guy.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
From an offshore betting site. Bazz and Wojo both on the board.

Buzz would be perfect for that culture.   Louisville's us vs them status in the state (it's a Kentucky Blue state for fandom), softer educational requirements would allow him to get anyone he wants into the program.  He would do extremely well there as the anti-slick Coach Cal / Coach Pitino persona but get the Cards faithful to rally around his us vs the world mentality.