[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brett Nelson- 3rd assistant- What in the ____?  (Read 11237 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Brett Nelson- 3rd assistant- What in the ____?
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »
I think Wojo is the only good hire. The rest are tbd...but hoping they knock it out of the park.

I think the main issue so far, is we seem to be going really hard at traditionals. Marquette has always catered more towards the inner city kids. I think it behooves us to keep on going with the same recruits as we have. For awhile we were the "cool" school in Wisconsin to sign with. We are now going after Wisconsin type recruits and I think that's not playing to our strengths.

You mean playing to Marquette's strengths prior to the Wojo hire.  Wojo's strengths are now going to be Marquette's strengths going forward.  There's a new sheriff in town and he's going to run things his way.  Thank God.  Doing things the way you think others want them done is a sure way to f up.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Welcome to MU, Brett!

One can only hope pedigrees can help their sales pitches to recruits.

I hope this MU coaching tree starts to branch out when it becomes successful.
This can be a good and bad thing: good for the attention and name recognition; bad for the expectations and criticism.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
With all of these former point guards as coaches, point guard should certainly be a strength next season. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brandx

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
I think Wojo is the only good hire. The rest are tbd...but hoping they knock it out of the park.

I think the main issue so far, is we seem to be going really hard at traditionals. Marquette has always catered more towards the inner city kids. I think it behooves us to keep on going with the same recruits as we have. For awhile we were the "cool" school in Wisconsin to sign with. We are now going after Wisconsin type recruits and I think that's not playing to our strengths.

Yeah - there is a whole group of good players out there that Buzz never even went after.

But, really, there are just some good white players in WI right now. And I would also consider Stone to be a traditional. Almost a throwback to the old low post centers.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
Gotta be some balance.... Buzz should have gotten more shooters during his tenure.   But Buzz's formula did give us a lot of success.

It was good getting the Milwaukee area sort of locked down under Buzz.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 08:52:02 PM »
Can't believe it was Stone Cold who started this thread.

He didn't like Wojo, didn't like Carawell, didn't like Phelps, doesn't like this hire.... blah, blah, blah.

You need to Scoop Stalk a little better.

Love the Wojo hire.   Like the Phelps hire and DBO hire.   Carrawell and Nelson don't like.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
You need to Scoop Stalk a little better.

Love the Wojo hire.   Like the Phelps hire and DBO hire.   Carrawell and Nelson don't like.

ACC player of the year and another good point at Florida, I think they understand talent better than you do.  Have you meet either of them?  MU coaches are going to bring it to players on
the court now.  There going to play 3 guards as well.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
I only know their resumes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:41 PM »
I think Wojo is the only good hire. The rest are tbd...

They are all "tbd," including Wojo. So what? That's the way it should be. Every coach (and every player) should have to prove himself.

Shaka was a nobody who had to prove himself at VCU. Izzo had to prove he could be The Man at MSU. God knows Crean and Buzz each had to prove himself at Marquette. Bill Self had to prove he could win a title at KU. Brad Stevens ... who ever heard of him before he proved himself at Butler? Hell, even Roy had to prove he could win at UNC.

That's the profession.

Those who criticize Wojo or criticize these assistants ... based on what? Jeesh, at least let them do something wrong before criticizing them.

Sometimes, some of us have perverse definitions of "fan." I thought a fan was supposed to support his team's coach -- at least until he gives us reason to do otherwise.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2014, 08:25:29 AM »
I only know their resumes.

Young coaches need a chance just like Wojo.  They were solid players in college, they got there feet wet, now they are moving up the ladder.  Time will tell on all assistants, but the first few
years it is about the head coach recruiting, they are coming here because they like what they see in Wojo, maybe the assistants will start helping when they build relationships up in the freshman and soph high school classes.