[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU new conference and TV  (Read 11233 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MU new conference and TV
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »
The issue that topper is eluding to is more related to the possibility of Fox not spending the cash to send cameras, production, on-air talent, etc. to Milwaukee for the Marquette v. SE Louisiana. ESPN has these resources already while Fox does not.

Disagree.  Wholeheartedly.

Fox Sports has just as much (if not more) of a presence in Milwaukee currently than ESPN.  In fact, most of their equipment is already in the BC on every MU game day right now.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »
The current TV situation is literally one of the best things about MU hoops. I haven't missed a game all year. If you have DirecTV, and pay a modest $12 a month, you literally get every single game.

It would be a HUGEEEEEE dissapointment if this does not continue with the new conference.

Depends on where you live.  From my standpoint its absolutely the WORST TV situation there can possibly be.  The situation that I am in there have literally been 2 games I can watch unless I want to break the law.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »
It will definitely be interesting to see how it shakes out because MASN has ESPN News broadcasting on their channels sometimes as well. I believe MASN will want to keep the Big East/C7 since it is one of their staple non baseball season programming. As I mentioned earlier we are getting MU versus Seton Hall tomorrow on MASN just because it is a Big East game, it essentially serves as ESPN3 on network TV for this area.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »
Disagree.  Wholeheartedly.

Fox Sports has just as much (if not more) of a presence in Milwaukee currently than ESPN.  In fact, most of their equipment is already in the BC on every MU game day right now.

You are correct, poor example on my part, I forgot Milwaukee is serviced by FSWisconsin. However, Fox Sports will also need to service every other team in the conference as well. That is a lot of resources to have sitting in Omaha, Chicago, Richmond, DC, Philly, Providence, New Jersey and New York (being areas not currently covered by a regional Fox Sports)

However, they will have Milwaukee, St. Louis, Indy and Ohio covered.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:40 PM »
If Fox Sports does cover all the OOC games, maybe they'll pick up Jim McIlvaine for broadcasting.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
And we can all agree, one huge positive about moving away from ESPN is no more Len Elmore.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
And we can all agree, one huge positive about moving away from ESPN is no more Len Elmore.

What do you mean? He's a junkyard dog out there. Nobody can spot a player from New York City quite like he can.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

Don't be so sure.  If we play in an ESPN televised pre-season tournement there's always the threat of Len.  

Plus I believe he did our round of 32 game against Syracuse a couple years back on CBS owned truTV.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
Let's remember that News Corp is probably leading media company in the world.  While we see ESPN3 every day due to ESPN's market advantage in the US, I doubt this is a forgotten piece to the puzzle for FOX.

Here is one of the their online soccer presences, very similar to ESPN:

http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 01:26:43 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
Don't be so sure.  If we play in an ESPN televised pre-season tournement there's always the threat of Len.  

Plus I believe he did our round of 32 game against Syracuse a couple years back on CBS owned truTV.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
You are correct, poor example on my part, I forgot Milwaukee is serviced by FSWisconsin. However, Fox Sports will also need to service every other team in the conference as well. That is a lot of resources to have sitting in Omaha, Chicago, Richmond, DC, Philly, Providence, New Jersey and New York (being areas not currently covered by a regional Fox Sports)

However, they will have Milwaukee, St. Louis, Indy and Ohio covered.

Equipment is one issue; having a distribution outlet in that market is another.

But as for the equipment, it's all portable and Fox already has equipment "bases" in Chicago, Philly, DC, NY and NJ.  Even in outer-lying areas like Omaha, if you already have distribution (FSN Midwest) and people who are going to watch Jays basketball, Fox isn't going to care what it would to cost to send a semi-trailer up from Kansas City for a few hours.

Don't underestimate Fox Sports' resources.... they can go anywhere, anytime, and probably more economically than anyone else.  Don't forget that between MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL (not to mention, the BTN and all of the other college programming they already do down south and out west), Fox and its affiliates likely produce more original sports content than anybody else in the country... even ESPN.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
Equipment is one issue; having a distribution outlet in that market is another.

But as for the equipment, it's all portable and Fox already has equipment "bases" in Chicago, Philly, DC, NY and NJ.  Even in outer-lying areas like Omaha, if you already have distribution (FSN Midwest) and people who are going to watch Jays basketball, Fox isn't going to care what it would to cost to send a semi-trailer up from Kansas City for a few hours.

Don't underestimate Fox Sports' resources.... they can go anywhere, anytime, and probably more economically than anyone else.  Don't forget that between MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL (not to mention, the BTN and all of the other college programming they already do down south and out west), Fox and its affiliates likely produce more original sports content than anybody else in the country... even ESPN.

+1. Well noted.

I defer to you as winner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »
Blackout rules, in all of their forms, are asinine.

Agreed.  Back when I lived near the airport I would get blacked out of Cubs games on MLB.tv despite no access to Comcast Sports Net.  If I had lived 3 blocks over, I would have been out of the blackout area.  Also, ask Vegas how they feel about blackout rules for baseball.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Don't underestimate Fox Sports' resources.... they can go anywhere, anytime, and probably more economically than anyone else.

Like the comical Paradise Jam last season.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Like the comical Paradise Jam last season.

Sometimes when I say economically, I mean economically.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
I also like that we can watch games on ESPN3 currently. But I'd almost guarantee that Fox will create a similar service. I currently watch soccer matches on foxsoccer2go.com. It's basically like ESPN3 but just for soccer. It works well and the quality is great.

They can easily add bball games to that service when they get rights to them.

The cable companies know that people want to stream stuff to their computers. They would be very dumb if they didn't go after that extra potential revenue...especially after spending a half a billion dollar of the rights to them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 10:39:40 PM »
Here is one of the their online soccer presences, very similar to ESPN:

http://www.foxsoccer2go.com/

I'm no soccer fan, so this is the first time I've looked at that site, and the best part it that they're marketing it to the CONSUMER and not trying to force the provider (Comcast, etc.) to pay extra money for it (ala ESPN3).  I think 90% of MU fans that want to see games would pay for ESPN3 if that option was available (the remaining 10% always being freeloaders), but ESPN would rather try to strong arm the providers.  If Fox keeps this model, every MU fan willing to pay for it could get the stream.  $20/month isn't bad for MU games, way less then I spend for a single visit to the bar :)

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »
Isn't espn3 free for any college student? This is a great idea since most of teh events on the site are college athletics so this brings up the question Would or could fox sports do that too

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 08:13:32 AM »
You realize that with any modern tv and an hdmi cord that you can get online for $5, you can watch any Internet video on you TV set.

Uhhh .. yes.  I have a couple of HTPCs in my home.  What's your point?

feedback