[Today at 09:01:57 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Looks like Todd's Back  (Read 11243 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Looks like Todd's Back
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 06:28:51 AM »
How could Todd be cited for being underage last year?....he is already 22 now....that math does not work....I think Hunt screwed that up.

Todd is 21 now. He will be 22 on March 26. In a perfect world, he will be celebrating his birthday by practicing before our Sweet 16 game. He would have been 20 when Apt 720 happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JD

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 06:49:58 AM »
Even if Todd isn't the savior shooting wise on our team, hes a HUGEEEEEEE improvement over Lockett defensively.  Lockett looks like his feet are in mud half the time.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
Again, I don't think you will see a significant decrease in Lockett's minutes.  Right now, Lockett is at 24 pg.  My guess is that goes down about 3 or 4.  Mayo will get most of Thomas' minutes and a few from Blue (simply because he is playing so many right now).  Round it off with a few from here or there to get to the 20-22 range.

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »
Todd is not the solution to all this teams problems.  He is more of a streak shooter than a pure shooter but at least at least he has proven he can make threes in game situations.  He also has the killer instinct that Jake and Lockett don't seem to have.  In the best case scenario (which is what we must have to be competitive this season) he makes enough 3s to stop teams from triple teaming Gardner.  That makes Gardner more effective.  Junior seems to play better when Gardner is scoring.  So now we are better at 3 positions.
I also think Buzz has got to give some more minutes to Ferguson.  He has shown some offensive explosiveness.  

While its a bit much to assume Todd is going to be the be all end all in terms of what MU needs...
Lets not forget that last season was his first season at MU.  Learning the system.  Getting used to high major D1 ball.  A lot of players make their biggets leap from year 1 to year 2.  He has had some time to analyze what he needs to do.  Lets see.  Todd was without a doubt one of the teams better perimeter defenders.  And at least it gives MU more depth that way.  I wouldnt doubt that Todd also becomes more consistent than last season on offense as well.  At least as the season goes on.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
Even if Todd isn't the savior shooting wise on our team, hes a HUGEEEEEEE improvement over Lockett defensively.  Lockett looks like his feet are in mud half the time.

Probably overstating it a little.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
Hunt lead his piece with:

It is just a coincidence that reserve sophomore guard Todd Mayo is rejoining the team after Marquette scored 47 points Wednesday night in a loss at UW-Green Bay.

This makes it sound like Buzz is a GM and made a trade after a bad game.  Or only decided to look at bringing Mayo back because they lost.

The only reason this happened after the UWGB game, and not before, is Todd's mom flight was canceled into Milwaukee and everything was pushed back a day.  To suggests that was Todd reinstated is at all related to the UWGB game gives a bad impression of Buzz and MU.  It suggests that MU treats Mayo like a piece of meat and is needed now because they other pieces of meat on the team performed poorly Wednesday night.

Bad opening line.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
Hunt lead his piece with:

It is just a coincidence that reserve sophomore guard Todd Mayo is rejoining the team after Marquette scored 47 points Wednesday night in a loss at UW-Green Bay.

This makes it sound like Buzz is a GM and made a trade after a bad game.  Or only decided to look at bringing Mayo back because they lost.

The only reason this happened after the UWGB game, and not before, is Todd's mom flight was canceled into Milwaukee and everything was pushed back a day.  To suggests that was Todd reinstated is at all related to the UWGB game gives a bad impression of Buzz and MU.  It suggests that MU treats Mayo like a piece of meat and is needed now because they other pieces of meat on the team performed poorly Wednesday night.

Bad opening line.

Do you understand what "It is just a coincidence..." means??

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 08:05:59 AM »
Why wouldn't we want a solid player back after a tough loss? There is no way this can hurt us.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »

Do you understand what "It is just a coincidence..." means??

Do you understand what he is suggesting?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
Do you understand what he is suggesting?

Yes.  He is suggesting that some people might be under the impression that his suspension was lifted due to the team's poor performance on Wednesday.  He heads that off by saying "It is just a coincidence..."

And BTW, I will now note that Todd wasn't eligible on Wednesday but still is on the team (strike one against Another), and the "bureaucrat" that prevented Todd from being eligible earlier was actually Buzz.  Do you want him fired now?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 08:28:49 AM »

Yes.  He is suggesting that some people might be under the impression that his suspension was lifted due to the team's poor performance on Wednesday.  He heads that off by saying "It is just a coincidence..."

And BTW, I will now note that Todd wasn't eligible on Wednesday but still is on the team (strike one against Another), and the "bureaucrat" that prevented Todd from being eligible earlier was actually Buzz.  Do you want him fired now?

Todd joined the team on Monday.  Had to be eligible Monday or MU violated NCAA rules.  100% correct here.

It was Brew that made the arguments that bureaucrats would be on vacation so it would take weeks to make a decision.  I argued that was stupid.

I also said that eligibility and getting back on the court were two different issues. 

Other than getting the arguments wrong, and confusing me with Brew, this is pretty accurate.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 08:36:34 AM »
Can anyone tell me who on our team is a better scorer than Mayo?  I bet you cant... this is a big deal

Welcome back Todd!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 08:40:06 AM »
Can anyone tell me who on our team is a better scorer than Mayo?  I bet you cant... this is a big deal

Welcome back Todd!

Vander

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
Todd joined the team on Monday.  Had to be eligible Monday or MU violated NCAA rules.  100% correct here.

No.  He was reinstated yesterday.  But even if I buy your Monday argument, you weren't "correct."  Your statement was that if he wasn't on the team by Wednesday, he wouldn't be on the team at all.  You can't possibly know if that was the case if he was eligible Monday.  At best you can say your statement was "unproven."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Vander

Hahaha, lets get real. Vander is far from a better scorer. Jamil may have more scoring ability, but he plays like a damn puss. Mayo is a flat out scorer, and I think it will show. He isn't going to solve all of this team's problems, but Todd returning is a major step in the right direction.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 09:11:48 AM »
Vander

Ummm no. Watching Vander shoot is like watching the worst thing ever.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »
Hahaha, lets get real. Vander is far from a better scorer. Jamil may have more scoring ability, but he plays like a damn puss. Mayo is a flat out scorer, and I think it will show. He isn't going to solve all of this team's problems, but Todd returning is a major step in the right direction.

Todd had very similar offensive numbers to Vander last year.

Now, he might have improved a lot and can help this team... I hope.

But, I caution people to set their expectations carefully.

"Mayo is a flat our scorer" is setting the bar too high, and I think you are going to be disappointed.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
It's interesting that a Freshman who averaged eight points and three rebounds in 20 minutes wouldn't get people excited about what kind of improvement will come to his game in his second season now that his position is wide open.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
It's interesting that a Freshman who averaged eight points and three rebounds in 20 minutes wouldn't get people excited about what kind of improvement will come to his game in his second season now that his position is wide open.

The problem is that people are treating him as the key to the season.  He will definitely improve the team, but the real question is how *much* he will improve the team.

TexMex

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
I caution people to set their expectations carefully.

We're not dealing with Cancer here. I don't think anyone is expecting all rainbows and sunshine from here on out just because Todd is back. It's not crazy to say that it will benefit us though. I bet if we had him for the GB game we could have come out of it with a W.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 10:05:24 AM »
We need Todd to be on the team to compete moving forward. No doubt there were good and bad moments last year but the kid can score. He also can help on the pressure D and hopefully we can step up the pace. No offense to Jake Thomas but we need higher level of play.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 10:06:03 AM »
Saying Mayo is the best scorer on the team is not setting the bar to high, he's the best of a group of guys that don't score very well.  I like Vander a lot by the way, agree about Jamil being able to score but he does not play like he wants too all the time.  

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Todd's shot is much smoother than Vanders, in saying that, he barely scored in the Big East last year.  Shooting is all about confidence, Todd could be a double digit scorer, he probably
has an ability to shoot it better than what MU has now.  Thomas has been somewhat a disappointment, so has Lockett.  Todd should help, how much?  See in a month or so.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
We're not dealing with Cancer here. I don't think anyone is expecting all rainbows and sunshine from here on out just because Todd is back. It's not crazy to say that it will benefit us though. I bet if we had him for the GB game we could have come out of it with a W.

Alright. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm envisioning a game/stretch where Todd doesn't score, and people will RAGE because they think Todd is a "flat out scorer". He's not. Look at his numbers last year.

He's a good player. He's going to help with some depth at guard and should provide a little outside pop.

10ppg in 20min. If it's more than that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 10:11:42 AM »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback