[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jarion Henry will not be a Golden Eagle  (Read 11278 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Jarion Henry will not be a Golden Eagle
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
MU has more talent top to bottom on the roster (12player's+Singelton) then they have had in 25 years.  Buzz recruited all of them?  I'm not sure how you can argue that he has not recruited at a top 25 level?  Buzz has gone to the NCAA 3 years in a row and is 3-3 in the Tournament? Again most people would conisder that top 25 results.  Buzz is probably around the 25th highest paid coach in the NCAA when you factor everything in.  Most people are putting us around 15th in the country for next year.  How many top 100's are on the Roster. Juan, Blue, JJ, Wilson, JR, EW, I count half.  With most of the Top teams bringing in 3 or 4 per year that does not leave allot to go around.  The thing you forget is he is doing this in Milwaukee which does not have much talent.  We have a large state school to compete with for the WISC talent, and Milwaukee nationally does not have a very high profile.  We pay Buzz top 25 money and we are getting top 25 results.  This year we were inconsisitent but more talented, last year we were less talented and more consistent.  If you look at the guys that were looking at Henry he was lightly recruited by the High Major's, and ended up going to a Mid.  95% of the time that happens is because the High's think he is not talented enough or because he has more baggage then they want to deal with.  In Henry's case I would say he is both.  Willie for someone who knows so much about recruiting I would have thought you would know this is you followed Henry's recruitment over the last 8 months.
Here we go again with the same mantra of excuses. We are not a top 5 program, you can't recruit to Milwaukee, we are getting top 25 reults, we must compete with Bucky, weather not good in Wisconsin, not enough good looking girls at MU, yadda, yadda.
Milwaukee is a good city, MU has excellent facililities, plays in an NBA arena, is a good school, plays in the best conference in country, and has a rich tradition. Not saying Henry is a world beater, but he is ranked on par with Anderson. Ninth place in Beast is not world beating either. Hope Anderson works out. My comment was made because somebody said it was good news that we did not recruit Henry. I guess you could make the same argument about Vander if we had not landed him with that logic. Let me know when Buzz starts pulling in some big time studs--his salary should warrant the occasional top 25 guys. We need to start seeing that. Have not yet--maybe Ferguson but he is two years away.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
MU has more talent top to bottom on the roster (12player's+Singelton) then they have had in 25 years.  Buzz recruited all of them?  I'm not sure how you can argue that he has not recruited at a top 25 level?  Buzz has gone to the NCAA 3 years in a row and is 3-3 in the Tournament? Again most people would conisder that top 25 results.  Buzz is probably around the 25th highest paid coach in the NCAA when you factor everything in.  Most people are putting us around 15th in the country for next year.  How many top 100's are on the Roster. Juan, Blue, JJ, Wilson, JR, EW, I count half.  With most of the Top teams bringing in 3 or 4 per year that does not leave allot to go around.  The thing you forget is he is doing this in Milwaukee which does not have much talent.  We have a large state school to compete with for the WISC talent, and Milwaukee nationally does not have a very high profile.  We pay Buzz top 25 money and we are getting top 25 results.  This year we were inconsisitent but more talented, last year we were less talented and more consistent....

Well said.  +1

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 11:03:25 AM »
willie....you used the excuse of not getting Henry to accuse others on this board of defending "the Buzzster's recruiting."

However, it doesn't look like "the Buzzster" has been recruiting Henry for months.  For whatever reason...he didn't like his attitude, he signed Anderson, Henry didn't want to come here....we don't know.

So if you are going to crap on "the Buzzster's recruiting," you should probably use a better example than Jarion Henry.  And you are going to have to go a long way to convince many Scoopers that "the Buzzster" has issues with recruiting considering this is the most talented MU team top-to-bottom that I can recall in the last 20 years or so.  Maybe KO's Sweet 16 was better...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
Everyone for sure that someone isn't leaving? Just axing.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
Yes, willie, I said that we are better off without Henry. I firmly believe we would be better off with an empty scholarship than a player with the attitude, mindset, and arrogance of Henry. I believe that he is a "me-first" player who would only serve to disrupt the team, while complaining the entire time about how he couldn't get minutes off the bench because he had to compete behind Wilson and Crowder. I believe that the absolute best case scenario we could get with him is that he would be a mid-season transfer, ala Jeronne Maymon, only without the psycho dad (he provides the psycho himself).

Are you saying that you would vouch for Henry's character? Are you saying that you think based on his actions over the past few months that you think he will be a team-oriented guy willing to guy into any system that doesn't make him the focal point from day one? Have you listened to anything Henry has said? "I am gods gift to basketball." "I am one-and-done, I'm going to the League." "“All you females over there at (hard to decipher) who want to get with a real <blank>, a real state golden <blank> state medal winner, then holler at me, man.”

Is that the kind of kid you want representing Marquette? When he failed to earn playing time as a freshman (and if Erik Williams and Jamail Jones couldn't get time, why would he?) what do you think he'd do? Would he accept it gracefully, or would he scream and pout, upsetting the applecart along the way?

This has nothing to do with not being an elite program. This has nothing to do with not getting results. This has nothing to do with recruiting to Milwaukee, or the girls on campus, or our tradition, or our results. This has everything to do with Henry portraying himself as a negative contribution. If he's really so desirable, why did he go to the Mountain West? Why not Arizona or Oregon in the PAC-12? Why not Georgetown or Marquette in the Big East? Why not Oklahoma or Baylor in the Big 12? Why not any of the other schools that looked at him, expressed some interest, but in the end backed off and said "pass". Do you really think he grew up dreaming of being a Lobo? Hell, the kid was ready to blow them off for Kentucky a week ago, but apparently the interest from Calipari didn't match Henry's desire to go there, so he was stuck picking UNM, a place where 60% of the radio callers were saying Alford should stop recruiting him after his YouTube video came out.

I'm all for top-level recruits, but Henry is NOT a top-level recruit. He's barely top 100 in the rankings, and only considered a three-star prospect by some services. And he comes across as a grade-A ass, which likely kept him from going to a high-major conference. I look at the interview we saw recently with Butler, or listen to the comments from Anderson, Poythress, and Kris Dunn, or the possibility of a future recruiting top 100 players in Milwaukee like Kevon Looney and Ricky Landers, and I hope for those types of guys. Hard workers that emulate what Marquette has been about under Buzz.

Henry isn't that. He's a self-absorbed, me-first player whose talent doesn't come close to his ego. Pass. Pass pass pass pass pass.

We are honestly better off without him.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »
Everyone for sure that someone isn't leaving? Just axing.

Well, you would think it would have been announced by now.  But who kmows?  Jamil's transfer wasn't announced until their academic year ended in June.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 11:33:53 AM »
Here we go again with the same mantra of excuses. We are not a top 5 program, you can't recruit to Milwaukee, we are getting top 25 reults, we must compete with Bucky, weather not good in Wisconsin, not enough good looking girls at MU, yadda, yadda.
Milwaukee is a good city, MU has excellent facililities, plays in an NBA arena, is a good school, plays in the best conference in country, and has a rich tradition. Not saying Henry is a world beater, but he is ranked on par with Anderson. Ninth place in Beast is not world beating either. Hope Anderson works out. My comment was made because somebody said it was good news that we did not recruit Henry. I guess you could make the same argument about Vander if we had not landed him with that logic. Let me know when Buzz starts pulling in some big time studs--his salary should warrant the occasional top 25 guys. We need to start seeing that. Have not yet--maybe Ferguson but he is two years away.
He's not making excuses.   He is saying that your view of MU's recruiting is around 180 degrees from reality.    We HAVE top 25 talent.   We WENT to the sweet 16.    We WILL be ranked next year.   This is the fullest that MU's glass of talent has been from 1-12 in 35 years.   That isn't exuses.   We missed out on a recruit that we didn't really need. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
willie is an idiot.  Stop feeding the troll.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
Player's don't pick schools by how much the coach makes.  I would say the 3 biggest factor's would be results, Location (they would like to stay near home or they have been a fan of the school since they were kids) and the last would be relationship with the Coach.  I think facilities are behind all these, as well as Historical tradition, and Academic's.  I think we are very strong in 4,5,and 6.

Results: We have been very good, But not great.  To be a elite program we need to keep moving this up.  
Location:With better results we might get a stronger fan base in Wisc and the Midwest but most of us would agree that more kids grow up Badger fans then Mu fans at this point.  This will probably never be our strength.
Relationship:I think of the 3 Buzz is the best at this. He is has more non basketball dialogue with player's and recruits then most top programs.  He also works hard showing his face at games.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
Saturday night, I was watching OSU playing New Mexico, and I was wondering why there were no mention of Jarion Henry.  Well, it turns out he didn't graduate high school, was never cleared by the NCAA, and is now in prep school in California.  He has re-classified to a 2012 prospect and will be going to Oklahoma.

Looks like Buzz didn't miss out on anything.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
Saturday night, I was watching OSU playing New Mexico, and I was wondering why there were no mention of Jarion Henry.  Well, it turns out he didn't graduate high school, was never cleared by the NCAA, and is now in prep school in California.  He has re-classified to a 2012 prospect and will be going to Oklahoma.

Looks like Buzz didn't miss out on anything.

Always interesting to reread these old threads. Credit to Brew, looks like he was right on the money regarding Henry.... As for our old friend willie, not so much.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »
I miss willie.   It would almost be worth losing a game if that meant he reappeared. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
I miss bma.

BME to MD

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:13 PM »

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Always interesting to reread these old threads. Credit to Brew, looks like he was right on the money regarding Henry.... As for our old friend willie, not so much.

I love that someone can find a thread from 8 months ago and make a relevant point on it, yet we still get 7 different threads started with some variation of "OMG! ESPN Marquette yadda yadda" separated by a few minutes apiece.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
Agreed.   I miss BMA for his insights and knowledge.   I miss Willie for the opposite reason.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I wrote in another thread that I missed Willie.

After re-reading this, I retract that remark.

feedback