'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU not interested in Lucious  (Read 11295 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU not interested in Lucious
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
+1
I agree with your concerns. Seems like an attitude that seems more prevalent lately on this board, with threads wondering how good we would be with Mbakwe. I hope the attitude isn't one that starts at the top. Would hate to see Buzz take the path of Huggins and just win baby. But hey, once you take little steps like recruiting guys who have already committed to other schools, you can easily find yourself taking bigger steps and sleaziness becomes blurry.

Or little steps like setting up your own AAU program or hiring as assistants guys with ties to top recruits?
Egad, the dreaded slippery slope fallacy.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 02:01:54 PM »
Sources?  Do you want me to link a newspaper article?  Can't do that because it doesn't exist.  Are there 50 people at both MU and UW that can confirm this happened with absolutely no hesitation at all.  Yes, and many at MU are no longer concerned about it.  They chalk it up as part of college basketball today....part of the process that exists.  No one likes it, but the feeling is that you have to do it.   

Great find by Chapman below, but beyond that, I will ask you something I have asked before...If you are so uncomfortable with the way things are being done at MU under Buzz Williams, why do you (at least claim to) continue to support them? You know about all of this creepy stuff that has gone on, yet you claim to like Buzz. You claim to support Buzz. Is that or is that not endorsing the behavior you claim to detest? You are either a complete hypocrite or just plain full of it, or both. You true colors (Crean and Crimson) show more and more every day you post here.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »
Yes, MU kept recruiting him after he verballed to UW-madison (through various back channels).  A practice we shunned years earlier when it happened to us with Billingsley, etc.   

Didn't a certain favorite coach of yours recruit a player to his school after the kid already had signed a LOI with another school?
Oops.
As always, moral outrage is selective.

Also, I seem to recall - though someone can correct me if I'm wrong - that same coach signed Carlton Christian after the kid had given a verbal elsewhere.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/iwbs_sports_blog/archive/2009/10/18/vander-blue-commits-to-marquette.aspx

"When he first got the job as Marquette’s head coach I was the first player he called. But when I committed to Wisconsin, he honored that and never called me again."

Too bad we can't extend the shame of calling 17 year old kids liars to our own current players, not when the ever powerful "back channels" say otherwise..

He said that Buzz never called him. Buzz probably texted him or Facebooked him or Tweeted @him or used skywriting or showed up at his house and held a boom box over his head playing Vander's favorite song. I guess we'll never know...unless a couple of Chicos' 50 anonymous sources can confirm this.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
showed up at his house and held a boom box over his head playing Vander's favorite song. I guess we'll never know...unless a couple of Chicos' 50 anonymous sources can confirm this.

Awesome.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
Looks like the timeout didn't do much good.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »
actually Buzz showed up in a Hummer Limousine at Midnight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
Looks like the timeout didn't do much good.

What was the timeout supposed to, cut my balls off?  Here I thought the timeout was for interactions with Ners.  If the timeout was to silence opinions that people don't agree with, wow.  I'll volunteer to get off, no need for a timeout.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
Or little steps like setting up your own AAU program or hiring as assistants guys with ties to top recruits?
Egad, the dreaded slippery slope fallacy.

The AAU program that was setup under Bob Knight?  Or the one Purdue has going?  The one UCLA has ties to...those?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
Chicos - You last worked at Marquette when? 1999? M

ore than 10 years later, knowing you're addicted to posting online, there are still 50 employees in the athletic department willing to confide in you? That is the biggest bunch of bullsh*t I have ever heard in my life. You don't have any "sources." You might have at one time. But time and your online habits have eliminated them.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »

I don't care.  He simply verballed.  It's still open season after a verbal IMO.

Fair enough, but I simple answered the question and answered it factually.  There used to be a day that many people here and in the basketball world cared deeply about verbal commitments.  It's clear with your answer and those of many others, that may no longer be the case.

You know me, Mr. Traditional, I enjoyed the days when a verbal commitment was giving someone his word.  I'd prefer that a kid decommits first before coaches start chatting up with them, not while they are still verballed.  We all have our preferences, those would be mine.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
The AAU program that was setup under Bob Knight?  Or the one Purdue has going?  The one UCLA has ties to...those?

I was speaking of an AAU program that's got a certain "swing" to it.
The one set up by your other favorite coach.

It's kind of ironic, though. You get all squirmy over MU possibly staying in touch with a kid who veballed as a sophomore - a practice you admit is not uncommon. but then your defense of schools setting up AAU programs?
"It's OK, cause Purdue and UCLA do it too."
Way to stay consistent.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »
Fair enough, but I simple answered the question and answered it factually.  There used to be a day that many people here and in the basketball world cared deeply about verbal commitments.  It's clear with your answer and those of many others, that may no longer be the case.

You know me, Mr. Traditional, I enjoyed the days when a verbal commitment was giving someone his word.  I'd prefer that a kid decommits first before coaches start chatting up with them, not while they are still verballed.  We all have our preferences, those would be mine.

So you're calling Vander a liar?

This board was so much better when you and your awful, false, horrible, lying, indignant, atrocious, and grievous posts weren't here. I wish the moderators would do what it sounds like so many other boards have previously done and ban you for life.  You very rarely contribute anything to the board and are by far the biggest net negative on it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
So, are we now talkin' about the traditional way of recruiting traditional players?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/iwbs_sports_blog/archive/2009/10/18/vander-blue-commits-to-marquette.aspx

Too bad we can't extend the shame of calling 17 year old kids liars to our own current players, not when the ever powerful "back channels" say otherwise..

He didn't lie, that's what back channels are for Chapman.  Buzz doesn't have to call and yet you can use back channels to get involved.  No different than what happens when schools hire coaches, they can officially say "we haven't contacted" said coach, yet through back channels a rep is talking to a rep while plausible deniability exists between school and coach.

Let's put it this way....go find out when MU got "involved".  Some of the same insiders knew several months before Blue decommitted that he was going to decommit and even stated it on Scout and this board.  Some were a bit premature, but it eventually came to being.  Those same people also knew MU was involved then through those back channels.  If you think MU walked away after Blue committed to Wisconsin you're crazy.  MU was still interested and when he started waivering back in January they let the proper parties know that MU was more than willing to take him on (as did Minnesota, Louisville, etc)

So let's also be clear here before another thread goes down the path of claiming someone said something they didn't.  No one is calling Vander a liar.  PERIOD.  Far from it. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
Backchannels = high school teammate who wanted Blue to join him, perhaps?    So, Vander is telling the truth that Buzz didn't try to recruit him after he verballed, Buzz is telling the truth that he didn't try to recruit him after he verballed.     Still looking for the squirmy part.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
So you're calling Vander a liar?

This board was so much better when you and your awful, false, horrible, lying, indignant, atrocious, and grievous posts weren't here. I wish the moderators would do what it sounds like so many other boards have previously done and ban you for life.  You very rarely contribute anything to the board and are by far the biggest net negative on it.

Why do the harshest personal attacks always come from positive posters?

What is it about some MU fans that they simply can't deal with other opinions?

It's the same on Scout when Murf posts.  People can't disagree politely and you can imagine their blood pressure skyrocketing while typing a vitriolic response to whatever point the guy makes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
I was speaking of an AAU program that's got a certain "swing" to it.
The one set up by your other favorite coach.

It's kind of ironic, though. You get all squirmy over MU possibly staying in touch with a kid who veballed as a sophomore - a practice you admit is not uncommon. but then your defense of schools setting up AAU programs?
"It's OK, cause Purdue and UCLA do it too."
Way to stay consistent.

Oh believe me, the whole AAU scene makes me not only want to squirm, but to hurl.  If you were implying the Swing, fine.  Other people here have suggested a recent program was started at IU, which is patently false, it was started during the Knight coaching era.  To your point, I can't stand the role of AAU coaches, teams in college basketball.

Nevertheless, define consistency please, especially on two different issues. If I'm against abortion but I'm ok with the death penalty, am I inconsistent? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »
So, are we now talkin' about the traditional way of recruiting traditional players?

We used to honor verbal commitments.  We used to get our undies in a bunch when schools kept recruiting our players.  No longer.  Just win baby

Boone

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:39 PM »
So much lost time to make up...and so much B.S. to spew.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
He didn't lie, that's what back channels are for Chapman.  Buzz doesn't have to call and yet you can use back channels to get involved.  No different than what happens when schools hire coaches, they can officially say "we haven't contacted" said coach, yet through back channels a rep is talking to a rep while plausible deniability exists between school and coach.

Let's put it this way....go find out when MU got "involved".  Some of the same insiders knew several months before Blue decommitted that he was going to decommit and even stated it on Scout and this board.  Some were a bit premature, but it eventually came to being.  Those same people also knew MU was involved then through those back channels.  If you think MU walked away after Blue committed to Wisconsin you're crazy.  MU was still interested and when he started waivering back in January they let the proper parties know that MU was more than willing to take him on (as did Minnesota, Louisville, etc)

So let's also be clear here before another thread goes down the path of claiming someone said something they didn't.  No one is calling Vander a liar.  PERIOD.  Far from it. 

I think 2 of the UW sources were Trevon Hughes and Marcus Landry telling VB that it wasn't in his best interests to continue his verbal to UW.  The other 2 could be the UW staffer that blabbed to the state journal.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »

So I assume you had a problem with your hero Tom Crean and his back channels chatting up Indiana before he resigned his position with MU? C'mon Mr. Traditional, whadda you say? Did IU contact MU and get permission before any conversation, direct or otherwise took place? Did Nick Wlliams request a release from his LOI before any conversation about moving to IU took place?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
We used to honor verbal commitments.  We used to get our undies in a bunch when schools kept recruiting our players.  No longer.  Just win baby

It's not "just win baby."  I just don't think it is ethically wrong like you apparently do.  There is no contractural obligation on behalf of the player or the coach to honor a verbal commitment.

And if other schools want to recruit kids that have given verbals, such as Jamal Furguson, more power to them.  If he changes his mind, that's fine...hope he does it for the right reasons and is happy where he ends up.  Just like when I wasn't really all that upset when Aaron Bowen changed his commitment.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »

Again if you have something other than an accusation, lets have it. An answer to Pakuni roasting your nuts as he usually does, would be kinda nice too...

Didn't a certain favorite coach of yours recruit a player to his school after the kid already had signed a LOI with another school?
Oops.
As always, moral outrage is selective.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 04:08:10 PM »
Great...the grand victim is back.   ::)

feedback