[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU not interested in Lucious  (Read 11255 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU not interested in Lucious
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
MU not interested in Lucious

While the hometown ties set the stage for speculation, don't look for former Milwaukee Pius star Korie Lucious to wind up in a Marquette Golden Eagles uniform.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/115530639.html

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU not interested in Lucious
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:49 PM »
That puts the speculation to rest...now why don't we focus on more pressing needs...like 5-6 more conference wins to close out the regular season...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
As always good job by Rosiak to get the inside scoop.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Best news I've heard all day. Really glad we won't be pursuing him, I wish him the best, but just don't think he's a good fit at Marquette.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
As suspected, "interest" was all on Korie's part.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:53:00 PM by Lennys Tap »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:57 AM »
Never seemed like a good fit or a good idea.    I am glad it all turned out to be much ado about nothing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
To egg on from the other thread...  "Dave Singleton, a walk-on transfer from High Point, can also play the position, and will be a junior next season."
 ;D
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
To egg on from the other thread...  "Dave Singleton, a walk-on transfer from High Point, can also play the position, and will be a junior next season."
 ;D

We have no idea how Singleton will play at this level. I would not count on too much.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 11:04:48 AM »
Great news..those of you thinking Singleton will play any significant minutes unless two guys in front of him get hurt are nuts.  He looked good in the summer league?...Remember how good a lot of the guys looked?....  hasn't transfered into the season at all.  If Ewill, JC, JJ, Blue, Gardner are having trouble seeing the floor, what on earth makes you think DS will?  Look at things realistically instead of with blue and gold sunglasses on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
Singleton...returning in front of him we have Blue, Cadougan, DJO, and Jones.    Unless Buzz signs another guard, preferably a highly ranked JUCO combo guard, or JJ really steps up his defense and works on his handle,  Singleton had BETTER be able to give us something.   I don't anticipate our incoming freshman playing a lot.     A 6'3 combo guard with (admittedly low) D1 experience doesn't look so bad as a back up plan. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:29:47 AM »
Ugh. 
I have my thoughts on Singleton on the other Lucious thread.  I brought it up here because Rosiak mentioned it in his article. 

I think our starting PG for the next two years will be Cadougan, with D. Wilson (haven't seen him at all) backing him up, and the possibility of Blue getting minutes at the point.  It would be a nice surprise if Singleton is good enough next year to warrant some minutes as additional backup.  He very well *could* be.  Seriously, re-read the part about *could*.  I can't believe how many times that's been missed. 

So, let's look at it this way:  If Wilson is not ready as a freshman (and very well might not be) to spell Junior at PG next season, who will be that guy?  As I said above, I think Blue will get some time, but he'll need to work on his skills in that position.  And I think Buzz will get Junior whipped into better shape than he's ever been in his life to get his minutes up, but after that...
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
It would be a nice surprise if Singleton is good enough next year to warrant some minutes as additional backup.  He very well *could* be. 

Sartorially, Singleton is a team leader. The man knows his clothes He prefers a classic look and is therefore no stranger to Mr. Ralph Lauren.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 05:45:43 PM »
Either way, Lucious wouldn't help us next season. Looking at next year, my guess is that we will primarily go with 2-guard sets, with Cadougan, DJO, and Blue getting the lion's share of the time. I trust that all three of them will be at least competent next year. Then we have Wilson and Singleton to pick up the additional minutes. In addition, Jones may need to help out in the backcourt if pressed, most likely at the 2. I think we'll be okay with that rotation, though any significant injuries to the first three names could leave us in a world of hurt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Cadougan, DJO, and Blue getting the lion's share of the time. I trust that all three of them will be at least competent next year. Then we have Wilson and Singleton to pick up the additional minutes. In addition, Jones may need to help out

Juan Anderson, while tall (getting taller?) sounds like he could play the 2 as well.  I mean, if you throw Jones into the "guard" category, then JA belongs there as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:38:20 PM »
I was mostly surprised how few people were concerned about his multiple suspensions and behavior as a reason to just say no.  Seems more people were worried about his ability to play.

Just win baby

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
Either way, Lucious wouldn't help us next season. Looking at next year, my guess is that we will primarily go with 2-guard sets, with Cadougan, DJO, and Blue getting the lion's share of the time. I trust that all three of them will be at least competent next year. Then we have Wilson and Singleton to pick up the additional minutes. In addition, Jones may need to help out in the backcourt if pressed, most likely at the 2. I think we'll be okay with that rotation, though any significant injuries to the first three names could leave us in a world of hurt.

My guess is that we largely have the same rotation as now, with Jones taking Buycks spot...Wilson taking Butler's...and Williams taking Fulce's.

Of course Jones won't be getting Buycks' minutes...

groove

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »
I was mostly surprised how few people were concerned about his multiple suspensions and behavior as a reason to just say no.  Seems more people were worried about his ability to play.

Just win baby

+1
I agree with your concerns. Seems like an attitude that seems more prevalent lately on this board, with threads wondering how good we would be with Mbakwe. I hope the attitude isn't one that starts at the top. Would hate to see Buzz take the path of Huggins and just win baby. But hey, once you take little steps like recruiting guys who have already committed to other schools, you can easily find yourself taking bigger steps and sleaziness becomes blurry.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 08:35:37 AM by groove »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
+1
I agree with your concerns. Seems like an attitude that seems more prevalent lately on this board, with threads wondering how good we would be with Mbakwe. I hope the attitude isn't one that starts at the top. Would hate to see Buzz take the path of Huggins and just win baby. But hey, once you take little steps like recruiting guys who have already committed to other schools, you can easily find yourself taking bigger steps and sleaziness becomes blurry.

If you look at the Mbakwe thread you would see that most everyone agreed we don't want him here, and it was simply 1 poster's question.

And you are the second person that i have seen refer to "recruiting guys who have already committed to other schools"  Source for this?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

If you look at the Mbakwe thread you would see that most everyone agreed we don't want him here, and it was simply 1 poster's question.

And you are the second person that i have seen refer to "recruiting guys who have already committed to other schools"  Source for this?

Vander Blue comes to mind

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »

Ok, so (a) Vander said we kept recruiting him after he committed, or (b) are you saying he is someone we continued to recruit after he verballed to Bucky?
 If (b), source?

And note: not trying to pick arguments, I just want to read this info from another source than a message board.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »

You mean the same Vander Blue who de-committed from UW in May, and committed to MU in October? That Vander Blue? Who else comes to mind?

By that standard, Tom Crean was recruiting Nick Williams while he was committed to Marquette. Does that make you squirm?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:36:30 PM by NavinRJohnson »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
You mean the same Vander Blue who de-committed from UW in May, and committed to MU in October? That Vander Blue? Who else comes to mind?

By that standard, Tom Crean was recruiting Nick Williams while he was committed to Marquette. Does that make you squirm?

The vacation is over...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »

I don't care.  He simply verballed.  It's still open season after a verbal IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 01:42:30 PM »

Ok, so (a) Vander said we kept recruiting him after he committed, or (b) are you saying he is someone we continued to recruit after he verballed to Bucky?
 If (b), source?

And note: not trying to pick arguments, I just want to read this info from another source than a message board.

Yes, MU kept recruiting him after he verballed to UW-madison (through various back channels).  A practice we shunned years earlier when it happened to us with Billingsley, etc.   

Sources?  Do you want me to link a newspaper article?  Can't do that because it doesn't exist.  Are there 50 people at both MU and UW that can confirm this happened with absolutely no hesitation at all.  Yes, and many at MU are no longer concerned about it.  They chalk it up as part of college basketball today....part of the process that exists.  No one likes it, but the feeling is that you have to do it.   

Some honest brokers here will confirm this, if they are being honest and not playing games with who the poster is but rather the merits of what has been stated. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/iwbs_sports_blog/archive/2009/10/18/vander-blue-commits-to-marquette.aspx

"When he first got the job as Marquette’s head coach I was the first player he called. But when I committed to Wisconsin, he honored that and never called me again."

Too bad we can't extend the shame of calling 17 year old kids liars to our own current players, not when the ever powerful "back channels" say otherwise..

feedback