[Today at 08:09:02 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruits Josh/Devin Langford  (Read 11267 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Recruits Josh/Devin Langford
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 10:05:35 PM »
Buzz was kidding about Hayward being 6'4.

Hayward was asked about it and just laughed and said something like "thats just Buzz being Buzz".

He is in the 6'5 to 6'6 range and Butler is taller.

None of that really matters though. We still need to get recruit a 4 man with some bulk to defend the paint.

TheDawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 02:09:27 AM »
I've seen the Langford play several times this year and Josh gets better everytime I see him.

I'd kind of be surprised if Josh went to WVU... I think UGA is his leader unless Georgetown really impressed him

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:54:52 AM »
He is significantly taller than both, but Buzz has talked in the past how the listed heights for both players are incorrect.  According to what Buzz said last year, Hayward and Fulce are actually 6'4 and 6'5 respectively, not their listed heights.  So while Butler is in fact taller than both, he's not 6'8.

not only have i stood next to him a number of times and laughed about his listed height he was alos recently on Homers show where they measured him at 6'8"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
He is significantly taller than both, but Buzz has talked in the past how the listed heights for both players are incorrect.  According to what Buzz said last year, Hayward and Fulce are actually 6'4 and 6'5 respectively, not their listed heights.  So while Butler is in fact taller than both, he's not 6'8.
On the overhead scoreboard Tuesday prior to the game, there was a clip with Jimmy speaking.  We heard him to say he was 6'8" now.  FWIW.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
Butler is a 3, not a 4.  He plays there now out of necessity, but ideally you'd have a natural 4 playing there so that Jimmy can use his perimeter and mid range game more often as well as drive to the hole.

BMA not disagreeing with you but he has done pretty well at the 4 as he scores well when contested hit Fts defends pretty well and rebounds well.  My whole point was Villanova is undefeated in the BE and possibly #1 in the country and they play one guy who is listed at 6'8" and 4 guards my point simply was we dont need to have 3 centers and 4 power forwards next year. 

to which the responses are Butler is not a 4 and butler is not 6'8" ...meanwhile the point goes directly over everyones head. 

Personally ithink we can be really good next year with Butler, Blue, Junior, Djo and Buycks on the court.  Or if capable throw Otule in there and slide Butler to the 4 to go big.  My point to those clamoring for 2 bigs is villanova is currently pasting ND who goes 6'8, 6'8, 6'10 accross the front line with a 3/4 listed at 6'8 and 4 guards.   if Buzz thinks and can get a 6'6 Sf that he feels will help the team more down the road or immediately than another big then i have faith in him.  The depth is there at the 4 and 5 justnot the experience and maturity 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 11:51:35 AM »
Butler is a 3, not a 4.  He plays there now out of necessity, but ideally you'd have a natural 4 playing there so that Jimmy can use his perimeter and mid range game more often as well as drive to the hole.

But what does Jimmy's dad think?  Is he Ok with Butler not playing the 3?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
Villanova is the exception to the rule, and even they are only playing that way right now due to the fact that Yarou was out so long due to illness.  Ideally, they don't want to play 4 guards, and Jay Wright has shown that multiple times in what he's trying to recruit over the last few years.

Further, look at the rest of the top teams in the country.  No one outside of Villanova is playing with 4 guards and small forward in the post, and there's a reason for that.  Playing that way simply limits your over all effectiveness.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
Which one of ND's starters is 6'10?

Answer none of them. In truth Harangody is more like 6'6 if you read the ND boards.

2 of Nova's 4 guards are 6'5(Stokes and Redding) which helps on both defense and on the boards. They are really small forwards.  Pena also has 20 pounds or so on Butler.

If we had a bunch of 6'5 or 6'6 guys I would agree we might be able to get away with it but you are talking about playing 6'8(but skinny)6'1, 6'2, 6'3 and 6'3.

I think that lineup could work in spots but i wouldn't want to defend with it game in and game out.

Our rebounding is bad enough now.....I shudder to think how many second chance points that lineup would give up.

No rebounding, no shotblocking, no thanks..............

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
tim abromaitis...

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:31 PM »
Agree about Nova.  You simply can't field a team with all guards and perimeter oriented forwards.  You have to match up with the other team at some point.  And if you end up conceeding the paint "your margin for error is so low" to borrow a Buzz phrase that the odds will eventually catch up with you and you will lose enough games to stop you from being a truly elite team.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:43 PM »
Villanova is the exception to the rule, and even they are only playing that way right now due to the fact that Yarou was out so long due to illness.  Ideally, they don't want to play 4 guards, and Jay Wright has shown that multiple times in what he's trying to recruit over the last few years.

Further, look at the rest of the top teams in the country.  No one outside of Villanova is playing with 4 guards and small forward in the post, and there's a reason for that.  Playing that way simply limits your over all effectiveness.

BMA ... beleive me i am not disagreeing with you. My entire point is while Villanovas blue print may not be ideal it has served them pretty freaking well even dating back to the foye, NArdi, etc. years.  

My issue is with the people that are discussing in this thread which adresses Buzz recruiting a Sf that state we have to have 2 bigs.  We dont especially if this guy is that good.  W ehave 2 centers and depending on how you want to argue it between 2 and 4 PF's.  I beleive Butler is a as good as Pena and Nova has proven if you surround Pena with 4 really good guards you can be one of the best teams in the country.  
In aperfect world you have more size but even if Buzz recruits 2 eight footer they probably are not going to help us next year.  If this kid can help us next year might it not be ok if he only signes 1 8 footer and we go into next year with egads only 3 centers?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
Langford is the classic case of a kid who grew earlier than everyone else, so he was highly ranked when he was young just because he was taller.  Then he stopped growing, but didn't develop the game someone his size should have.  He's just now becoming a perimeter player, despite the fact that he's far to small to play inside at all in college. 

Buzz made a point of mentioning on Monday that he wants to sign guys that are ready to come in an contribute right away....but Langford would have a tough time beating out the guys we've got.  Erik and Jamail are far more polished offensive players on the perimeter than he is.  Joe and Jimmy are more polished in the post and provide better skills in terms of defense and rebounding.  So you'd be signing a kid that would be your 5th option at that spot.

No offense intended to those players, but we can't afford to count on everything working perfectly for Yous and Chris next year.  Otule is coming off his second broken foot in two years, and when big men's feet start to go bad, they generally don't stop.  Yous will still be a project, and while he may contribute slightly more, to expect much from him before his junior and senior year is asking a lot.  We may have two guys that are big, but putting all of our eggs in that basket isn't going to work.

Playing small is something you do when you are forced to because of injuries and transfers, not something you do by choice. 

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
It would also be really good to redshirt Mbao somewhere along the way if at all possible.  If you recruit a couple post players this year you have a shot at redshirting Mbao before his junior year.  Given our inability to bring in elite bigs we've got to plan on using redshirts to let these guys develop but to do that you've got to have more guys in the program than you need.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »
What seems to be overlooked by many here is that Devin is in the class of '11.  We have 2 scholarships available for next season, so even if Josh would accept the offer we would still have one available for a big man.  I'm ok with that if Josh is as good as advertised.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 07:09:23 PM »
What seems to be overlooked by many here is that Devin is in the class of '11.  We have 2 scholarships available for next season, so even if Josh would accept the offer we would still have one available for a big man.  I'm ok with that if Josh is as good as advertised.

+1 BILLION MY POINT ALL ALONG

smellofhotbeeftips

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
The offense will run through Jimmy next year or else! Jimmy Sr has insisted

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 07:49:03 PM »
Why don't we just redshirt Mbao after the inevitable foot injury!?!  ;D

smellofhotbeeftips

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
Why don't we just redshirt Mbao after the inevitable foot injury!?!  ;D

This wouldn't be happening if we brought back karate lessons!

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
The offense will run through Jimmy next year or else! Jimmy Sr has insisted
this made me think. . .I hope jimmy is jimmy and the offense goes through DJO.
what say you?
Original member of the "Dean's List"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 11:40:32 PM »
It would also be really good to redshirt Mbao somewhere along the way if at all possible.  If you recruit a couple post players this year you have a shot at redshirting Mbao before his junior year.  Given our inability to bring in elite bigs we've got to plan on using redshirts to let these guys develop but to do that you've got to have more guys in the program than you need.

That may be a good thought.
I think a year to hone the game and be under the supervision of the strength coach will help him.
SS Marquette

smellofhotbeeftips

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:28 AM »
this made me think. . .I hope jimmy is jimmy and the offense goes through DJO.
what say you?

Are you prepared to face the wrath of the Elder Butler! I think not!

"Yo! Buzz! I want to see Jimmy getting some quality touches at the 3!"

feedback