[Today at 06:34:41 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JP Tokoto Recruiting Story  (Read 11244 times)

texaswarrior74

• All American
JP Tokoto Recruiting Story
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
From the UNC boards:

"I took my son to watch JP Tokoto last night and both Roy Williams and Bo Ryan(the Wisconsin coach) were there to watch the game. I was helping a friend work the ticket booth and Bo Ryan walks in. He refuses to pay to get in and then refuses to get his hand stamped after the athletic director allows him in without paying. Guy throws a hissy about it. I guess he was worried his wife would think he was out clubbing or something.

Roy Williams walks in with one of his assistant coaches. He pays for his ticket right away and gets his hand stamped without a tantrum. He think sits and talks to us and tells us how he coached in high school for 5 years and he understands how important ticket revenue is to these schools. Roy would shake hands and sign autographs for anyone that would ask.
It may not mean much, but in a small town word got around very quickly on the difference between both coaches. Lots of locals rooting for UNC to get this kid instead of the hometown school.

BTW-JP had 26 points in 3 quarters and about 4 unreal dunks."

Interesting comments about Bo....

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: JP Tokoto Recruiting Story
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »
You can just as easily switch Bo's and Roy's name around in the story and it is applicable to the UW Boards. 

Dont believe everything you read. This story can very easily be made up...no way to tell. Consider the board it was written on.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
FWIW

It was actually from another school's site and was re-posted on the UNC site. It didn't originate with UNC nor was it written by a UNC fan.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Link?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
You can just as easily switch Bo's and Roy's name around in the story and it is applicable to the UW Boards. 

Dont believe everything you read. This story can very easily be made up...no way to tell. Consider the board it was written on.

Correctamundo.

Sounds like a rumor that's designated to go "viral" and help UNC in some way.
SS Marquette

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »
Bo is a cheapskate.  That being said, there is no reason in the world for Totoko to go anywhere other that UW.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »
Though I'd stand by that UW or MU have a good chance of getting this kid because of his relationship with his parents, through my friends little sister who's a freshman at MFHS, Tokoto says that he wants to go to UNC.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 09:43:08 PM »
my friends little sister

....former roommate

romey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
Bo is a cheapskate.  That being said, there is no reason in the world for Totoko to go anywhere other that UW.
Style of play?

I have no idea what kind of game JP has, so I'm just asking.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 03:06:52 AM »
My 9 year old brother was sitting 2nd row right by the tunnel where the UW team came out at halftime during the Marquette vs. UW game this year wearing a Marquette sweatshirt and he tried to get a high 5 from Bo Ryan, who was 2 feet from him and looking directly at him with nobody else around, and Bo turned his head away and walked right past him.  The dude's the Grinch.  He even looks like him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 08:55:32 AM »
I spent some time at a coaching clinic that both Roy and Bo spoke at.  At the time, Roy was a big name, but Bo had not yet gone to UW.  Roy was down to earth as could be, and Bo had an ego like no other.  I could pull for a Dick Bennett UW team, but I never will pull for a Bo coached UW team.  Many UW alums/donors are becoming very sick of him as well.  I hope he continues to coach at UW and in large part not interfere with MU's recruiting.

Bo's a great X's and O's coach, but I don't see why JP would want to play for UW.  There aren't many NBA caliber type kids that choose UW.  Especially those under 6' 10".  He has millions at stake, and I think I'd take the proven commodity in UNC.  If he wants to stay close to home, I'd think MU would offer the style of play and conference that would give him the best ability to develop his skills into NBA type quality.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »
I guarantee that Ryan has a state pass to all high school bb in Wisconsin.  U get new passes at the beginning of each season.  I had one as a high school coach, and they are free.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
UNC, KU and UW for Tokoto. MU is unlikely but it is still very early.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
Funny, I heard the same story from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »
Funny, I heard the same story from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

What does that make us??
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
My bartender's former roomate's ex-wife's father-in-law's grandson also heard that... ;D

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:24 AM »
UNC, KU and UW for Tokoto. MU is unlikely but it is still very early.

Why would MU be unlikely?  Just askin'.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:51 AM »
Bernie Madoff told me to "take it to the bank" that tokoto will be playing for rutgers in a few years.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »
Because as of todays date we have only recruited one five star bball player in our history, and Roy has been actively recruiting this kid for over a year now.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »
Absolutely nothing.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Way too early to tell on Tokoto and where he'll end up.

North Carolina may have an early edge, but all the others are definitely in the mix.

Perhaps things will get sorted out a bit this spring/summer on the circuit.

Very impressive young man, on and off the court.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
North Carolina has not offered yet. He visited UNC and Dook, K offered him a scholarship the next day. Roy told him and his parents that they don't offer sophomores until after June 15 AFTER sophomore year to comply with NABC coaches requests. Roy told them that they would be up to see him play and would invite him down to see a UNC game but would not offer until June.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 02:44:33 PM »
I can't imagine him going to UW or MU.  Personally I feel UNC is just too good a deal to pass up.  I bet it plays out just like Harrison Barnes.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »
The kid is fantastic, no doubt about it.

His play reminds me of T-Mac, he seems to do it so non-chalant that it seems he doesn't try, however when I watched him, it was confusing to me how he allowed MFHS to lose to Cath. Memorial (speaking of which, TJ Bray is an unbelievable get for Princeton, kid can ball).  But Tokoto is such a player, that he should be getting 30+ a night, however he barely gets 20, makes me scratch my head about his motivation

(also makes me hate AAU even more, killer of high school basketball.)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »

What I have been hearing is that those three are currently being most heavily considered. MU is not in the leading pack of schools. But neither is Duke. There is time for things to change. Even so I don't think MU is a favorite.