Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DWade to the Land  (Read 6534 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: DWade to the Land
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »

Which is interesting because the reports out of Chicago were that Wade did very little to help develop younger players (outside of Jimmy) and the team had some bad chemistry issues.  Now granted much of the problem is the team that Gar-Pax assembled, and lack of respect for the coach.

By 'coach' I meant on-the-court coach, or game-time coach.   I didn't mean to suggest that Wade would sit down and serve as a mentor to the young Cavs, e.g., diligently going over film with them, etc.  I meant something like the following:

Without Wade:
-Lue: Bron, how about you sit for a while, take a rest for a few minutes
-Bron: No way.  I'm staying in.  The team needs me. 

With Wade:
-Lue: Bron, how about you sit for a while, take a rest for a few minutes
-Bron: No way.  I'm staying in.  The team needs me.
-Wade: Bron, come on man.  We need to save your stamina for the fourth quarter.  You look fatigued on that fast break.
-Bron: Alright man, you got it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
The point that the Cavs won't beat GS with Wade, just as they wouldn't have beaten GS without him is fair.

But so what? Is that a reason the Cavs shouldn't have thrown couch-cushion money at a Hall of Famer who very well COULD help them get to the Finals again?

Wade was a no-brainer signing, and a darn good one. I don't see how anybody sane could argue otherwise.

And like a few others have said, the Cavs - featuring two of my favorite Warriors ever - are now easily my favorite NBA team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 12:52:07 PM »
I just don't agree that he is a "darn good" signing.  Could it pay off?  I guess.  But the guy is going to be 36 years old with the body of a 72 year old.  By all accounts almost everyone in Chicago's locker room couldn't stand the guy last season.  Ultimately all that really matters is it helps to keep LeBron happy, which is the only reason for the Cavs to sign him.  But while his 18 points per game last season look pretty nice, the 16 shots per game it took him to get there is horrendous.  His eFG% was 45.7%.  That is brutal.  If you look at the Cavs roster, the only players that had a worse eFG% last year were Jordan McCrae, DeAndre Liggins, Kay Felder, Birdman, Dahntay Jones, and (yes!) Larry Sanders.

The Cavs needed athletic wing defenders and shooters.  Wade isn't really either.  I loved Wade, but I don't see what he does for the Cavs other than take shots away from LeBron, which I'm not sure you want to do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »
The point that the Cavs won't beat GS with Wade, just as they wouldn't have beaten GS without him is fair.

But so what? Is that a reason the Cavs shouldn't have thrown couch-cushion money at a Hall of Famer who very well COULD help them get to the Finals again?

The former should read the Cavs likely won't beat Golden State. Maybe GSW loses Green to suspension and both Curry and Durant are injured. Maybe another West team takes them out on a fluke.

The odds are Golden State wins it all, but if the Cavs get there, they at least have a chance. And if they have Wade, I would say they have a better chance than the average NBA end-of-the-bench guy. Good signing, and hoping it works out well for them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 10:43:26 PM »
The former should read the Cavs likely won't beat Golden State. Maybe GSW loses Green to suspension and both Curry and Durant are injured. Maybe another West team takes them out on a fluke.

The odds are Golden State wins it all, but if the Cavs get there, they at least have a chance. And if they have Wade, I would say they have a better chance than the average NBA end-of-the-bench guy. Good signing, and hoping it works out well for them.

I agree with this. Likely would have been a good word for me to add.

Wadesworld thinks Wade was a terrible signee, I guess because of all the superstars ready, willing and available to sign for less than $3M. For example, the Hornets gave almost the exact same contract to Michael Carter-Williams; he'd have been a great get for LeBron.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 10:52:59 PM »
I agree with this. Likely would have been a good word for me to add.

Wadesworld thinks Wade was a terrible signee, I guess because of all the superstars ready, willing and available to sign for less than $3M. For example, the Hornets gave almost the exact same contract to Michael Carter-Williams; he'd have been a great get for LeBron.

I think MCW is a horrible get for anyone. Guess we disagree there too.

How’d the Wade signing work out for the Bulls?

The money isn’t the issue. The Cavs obviously haven’t been afraid to take a giant hit in the luxury tax. They’ve had the highest salary in NBA history. The issue is Wade is horribly inefficient without being willing to give up his shots. Maybe he’ll swallow the pill that he’s no longer the guy who could carry a team to a title. But as much as I’ve always loved Wade and grew up idolizing him, his ego certainly isn’t small...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »

Come on, that's not a fair comparison. The Bulls were going to be a terrible team with one good player before adding two aging stars that were never going to get them over the hump. Awful management, mediocre coaching, that wasn't Wade's fault. It was dysfunction from the word go.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »
Come on, that's not a fair comparison. The Bulls were going to be a terrible team with one good player before adding two aging stars that were never going to get them over the hump. Awful management, mediocre coaching, that wasn't Wade's fault. It was dysfunction from the word go.

Fair enough. I, for one, was thrilled that the Bulls gave Wade that offer so the Bucks couldn’t possibly land him.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2017, 05:43:00 AM »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »

Mediocre is very, very complimentary.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »
Mediocre is very, very complimentary.

I'd tend to agree, but until he actually has a competent roster that fits his style, I don't want to be too harsh.

But yeah, that organization is pretty much a cluster<bleep> that should've thrown in the towel to tank a year ago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 11:20:40 PM »
I think MCW is a horrible get for anyone. Guess we disagree there too.

Actually we agree. I was being facetious. Guess I should have put "great" in italics or quotes.

Silly comparison, which you acknowledge later after brew challenged it.

The money isn’t the issue. The Cavs obviously haven’t been afraid to take a giant hit in the luxury tax. They’ve had the highest salary in NBA history. The issue is Wade is horribly inefficient without being willing to give up his shots. Maybe he’ll swallow the pill that he’s no longer the guy who could carry a team to a title. But as much as I’ve always loved Wade and grew up idolizing him, his ego certainly isn’t small...

On this, we'll see. I think Wade will accept a smaller role, but maybe not. I did get the money they're paying Wade wrong - it's actually $2.3M - 20% less than I had said. Again, it's a no-brainer. There wasn't anybody available at anywhere near that price who could have helped them, and at the very least Wade will be LeBron's shrink.