'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Really short bench now....5 guys played 37 minutes or more  (Read 4041 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Really short bench now....5 guys played 37 minutes or more
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »
5 guys played 37 minutes or more, including two at 40 or more.

Fulce got 15 minutes.  Buycks 9 and JC 4.

They are definitely Warriors.  Don't know how their legs will hold up at the end of the season but it's the time of year where the bench is going to continue to get shorter.

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: Really short bench now....5 guys played 37 minutes or more
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »
I get your point, but it was an OT game. It's not like the bench minutes were any lower than usual.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
Fatigue is an issue that has been brought up before. During the end of the first half drought, they did look winded and lethargic as Cincy went aggressively on their run.

The shuttling back and forth in vans and planes will also add to that toll.

The Carnesecca Court is NOT going to be kind. It's going to definitely be a HS atmosphere that favors SJU.
SS Marquette

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 05:10:44 PM »
5 guys played 37 minutes or more, including two at 40 or more.

Fulce got 15 minutes.  Buycks 9 and JC 4.

They are definitely Warriors.  Don't know how their legs will hold up at the end of the season but it's the time of year where the bench is going to continue to get shorter.

Fulce played the best game of his MU career so far.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:25 PM »
Buycks has an ankle problem.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
All the more reason to get Caddy in there and develop.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
All the more reason to get Caddy in there and develop.

Seriously stop with the asking for "Caddy"

He's not ready.

Yeah he showed a moment there when he drove the lane in the first half but got his shot blocked, but he is nowhere close to playing positive significant minutes.  Get off it already.

Don't you watch the game?
Marquette University, Spring '08

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »

He's not ready.

Yeah he showed a moment there when he drove the lane in the first half but got his shot blocked, but he is nowhere close to playing positive significant minutes.  Get off it already.

He may need to play just to spell the regulars considering the Buycks injury.  But that's about it.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »

He may need to play just to spell the regulars considering the Buycks injury.  But that's about it.

That I can agree with. 

I don't agree with the "get him in to develop him" notion.

two minutes or so before a t.v. timeout is perfect.  If he does well, throw him out there again, but don't force it.
Marquette University, Spring '08

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »
amazing how everyone is a coach...glad none of you are calling the shots. Don't you think he would play more guys if he could...Hello...the reason is they would hurt more then help...these are 19-21 yr olds...they'll recover.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
That I can agree with. 

I don't agree with the "get him in to develop him" notion.

two minutes or so before a t.v. timeout is perfect.  If he does well, throw him out there again, but don't force it.

Agreed.  He isn't going to "develop" by this point.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »

He's not ready.

Not getting all the negativity on Cadougan about not ready. Hard to judge based on two minutes at a crack. Also virtually everybody had him pegged as a starter before the year began. Now virtually everybody says he is not ready. If he was ready for those people before the season began, then he should be ready now, or at least getting meaningful minutes. You cannot tell from two minute stretches. take 3 or 4 minutes from Acker and Cuby each.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:07:05 AM »
yeah this summer, when cadougan was coming off that torn achilles, and hadn't played meaningful basketball for 4 months, i was sure he was going to be a great player for us.

don't you think maybe he's not the same player he was at the beginning of the season?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:56 AM »
Not getting all the negativity on Cadougan about not ready. Hard to judge based on two minutes at a crack. Also virtually everybody had him pegged as a starter before the year began. Now virtually everybody says he is not ready. If he was ready for those people before the season began, then he should be ready now, or at least getting meaningful minutes. You cannot tell from two minute stretches. take 3 or 4 minutes from Acker and Cuby each.
I disagree; I think you can tell from the 2 minute stretches.  He doesn't know what to do with the ball in his hands, he throws bad passes, he's unable to break a press, he's not quick off the ball, etc.  It's not his fault - he simply isn't ready yet and it's hard to make yourself ready against top opponents in the middle of the late season push.

And I'm the first to say that Fulce should get more minutes because I don't like the 5 man rotation with 2 subs with minimal minutes.  If there was any reason to get Junior more minutes I would be all for it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
Fulce and Caddy play vastly different positions--so his minutes should not affect Caddy.

The point is that he was pegged as the starter pre-season, and now, to many he is not ready. Give him more minutes to prove or disprove that.

He likely will be the starting point next year. Cooby and Acker will be gone, so he should be getting 3 to 4 minutes from each of those guys. If he plays 5 minutes at a stretch and looks horrible, then get him out of the rotation.

By the way, up until the last game Fulce was getting few minutes and most would have likely agreed he did not deserve more minutes. Then suddenly he gets about 18 minutes and does well so he should get more minutes. Caddy deserves the same opportunity.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:17 AM »
yeah this summer, when cadougan was coming off that torn achilles, and hadn't played meaningful basketball for 4 months, i was sure he was going to be a great player for us.

don't you think maybe he's not the same player he was at the beginning of the season?

AGREED!! most of these guys worked all summer to get where they are...Yes, Junior was working hard before his injury (lost weight, etc)...and worked very hard to rehab it (i applaud him for that...had to do the same thing and it can get VERY frustrating at times...i can only imagine what it's like on the D1 level)...but I think that Junior, and his game, are right back where they were when he got injured....

Rest assured...I do think he will be a good contributor in years to come...but for now...play him in short bursts when needed...if he plays well, keep him out there....if he can play well for short stretches it will be a significant help to 2 or possibly 3 other players as we make our run! (especially because the other guards use a lot of energy on the defensive end of the court as well)...

but if he can't be a hair above serviceable...then its not helping anybody...and that includes Junior.
The "average fan" is an idiot.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
Buycks has an ankle problem.

any update on this?

TJ

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
Fulce and Caddy play vastly different positions--so his minutes should not affect Caddy.
My point was that I am not against playing our other players - Junior just isn't ready.

He likely will be the starting point next year. Cooby and Acker will be gone, so he should be getting 3 to 4 minutes from each of those guys. If he plays 5 minutes at a stretch and looks horrible, then get him out of the rotation.
He looks horrible in the 2-3 minute stretches he gets now - will an extra 2 minutes at a time change that much?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 11:26:42 AM by TJ »

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:26 AM »
The bench would be ever shorter if both Acker and Cubes were on it ... ba da bum.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
Game situations and Buzz's opinion on the ability of JC to contribute to a win will determine minutes for JC.  Hence next game we may see Junior with significant minutes, a couple minutes or not at all.  I do like what I see of JC when he is in the game.  I have high hopes he will be a stellar Marquette point guard.  I have seen nothing to the contrary.