'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 02:26:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: for those of you who wanted a Catholic league - here is where the 40 rank  (Read 8344 times)

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2018/03/marquettes-ranking-among-catholic-d1.html

I mean, the Catholic-school advocates won with a 90% Catholic league, but with two Catholic schools in the Final Four here is where all 40 rank.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Skitch

• All American
I think you missed Loyola-Chicago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:20:06 AM by Skitch »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Canisius?

mileskishnish72

• All American
Man, when I was there Holy Cross was a Jesuit school.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
I think Sacred Heart University is Diocesan.

jsglow

• All American
Redo!  ;D

WarriorDad

• All American
http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2018/03/marquettes-ranking-among-catholic-d1.html

I mean, the Catholic-school advocates won with a 90% Catholic league, but with two Catholic schools in the Final Four here is where all 40 rank.

Were you using this list from years ago?   http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2012/12/top-40-catholic-basketball-teams-and.html

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
USF at 19?

But they are on the verge of hanging a banner....

MU82

• All American
Yeshiva?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
This is an awkward list.

Also would a Jesuit league be the most top heavy conference in the country?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Knight Commission

• All American
How did I not know the West Coast Conference is made up of only Private schools?  It is really the Big East of the West.  Would like to see a Big East/West Coast Conference tourney

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
How did I not know the West Coast Conference is made up of only Private schools?  It is really the Big East of the West.  Would like to see a Big East/West Coast Conference tourney

Its the Big East of the west only if you don't take into account the quality of basketball being played.

The WCC would be like a conference of Xavier (Gonzaga)  Creighton (St.  Mary's)   St. John's (BYU),   DePaul (USF),  and 6 teams worse than DePaul.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Thanks all - so added the two and have 42 of 351 now on the link.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Let's say college athletics changed and somehow this became a separate league. Would you all follow MU as closely? I mean there's still a lot of solid teams on here with classic tradition. Not sure you could still claim national champion though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Let's say college athletics changed and somehow this became a separate league. Would you all follow MU as closely? I mean there's still a lot of solid teams on here with classic tradition. Not sure you could still claim national champion though.

Follow? Yes. As closely? No.

Without a chance to get to the (real) dance and win it all, it might as well be D-2.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Follow? Yes. As closely? No.

Without a chance to get to the (real) dance and win it all, it might as well be D-2.

If a change in landscape were to force a change like the one I'm suggesting why would it not be the real dance? Us, ND, Zags, Nova, Georgetown and Creighton have all gotten top 3 seeds in the past few years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
If a change in landscape were to force a change like the one I'm suggesting why would it not be the real dance? Us, ND, Zags, Nova, Georgetown and Creighton have all gotten top 3 seeds in the past few years.

Because this year there were only 7 catholic schools in the top 50 teams per KenPom and only 10 in the top 75.

The average Catholic school might be better than the average non-catholic school, but a majority of the top programs (and fanbases) are at non-catholic schools. If Catholics broke off from non-catholic schools no one would miss them honestly.
TAMU

vogue65

• All American
John, you got it wrong, some of us want less catholic.   Big Al was totally against a catholic league, even a close imitation.  Yes, we were independent in those days, but there were many strong independents.   Today l think there is only one independent, NJIT of Newark.

ND and BC are the model, go play with the big boys.  There was a day for the Bonnies, La Sale, H.C., and St. Joe's, but that day has come and gone.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Because this year there were only 7 catholic schools in the top 50 teams per KenPom and only 10 in the top 75.

The average Catholic school might be better than the average non-catholic school, but a majority of the top programs (and fanbases) are at non-catholic schools. If Catholics broke off from non-catholic schools no one would miss them honestly.

Was this an average year for catholic schools? I guess I think of us Georgetown and Dayton being pretty farther down than usual but maybe there were a few more that were up as opposed to how they usually are.
Maigh Eo for Sam

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
John, you got it wrong, some of us want less catholic.   Big Al was totally against a catholic league, even a close imitation.  Yes, we were independent in those days, but there were many strong independents.   Today l think there is only one independent, NJIT of Newark.

ND and BC are the model, go play with the big boys.  There was a day for the Bonnies, La Sale, H.C., and St. Joe's, but that day has come and gone.

Yes, I agree with you and was arguing less Catholic when all the merger talk was going on. I'd love UConn back in the Big East as an 11th team - though I realize when you build a $90 million football stadium to go up to FBS you are stuck. Heck, if Boston University had a plan to really upgrade, I'd love them just to break back into Boston.

I was just throwing this out for those on the other side of the argument, but I am truly on your side though I'm fine with the way things worked out due to FS1 backing as the best option we had.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified

No independents left. NJIT joined the Atlantic Sun a few years back....which I don't know that I would ever describe Newark as a place that fits with Atlantic Sun... Sounds so tropical
TAMU

Sir Lawrence

• All American

I agree with your over all point, but I count 8 in KenPom top fifty:

1.  Villanova
10.  Gonzaga
15.  Xavier
25.  Seton Hall
30.  Loyola/Chicago
31.  Creighton
32.  St. Mary's
35.  Notre Dame
Ludum habemus.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

With the exception of Gonzaga, ND and the BE schools have gotten 3 seeds because we have always been able to tell recruits they'd be playing the big boys game in and game out, getting major TV exposure, etc. If we were suddenly a quasi minor league, those things would go away and the talent level would eventually go to a mid-major level.

WarriorFan

• All American
The top 16-20 on the list would make for a really fun early-season tournament... or maybe the top 2 from each conference.  it would have to be set up so no BEAST or WCC teams play their own conference in the first two rounds.  Would be much better than playing South Western Kentucky Technical and Agricultural College. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I agree with your over all point, but I count 8 in KenPom top fifty:

1.  Villanova
10.  Gonzaga
15.  Xavier
25.  Seton Hall
30.  Loyola/Chicago
31.  Creighton
32.  St. Mary's
35.  Notre Dame

Haha,  the one I missed was Notre Dame
TAMU

feedback