'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve  (Read 18290 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Steve
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »

That isn't true.  Last year you never provided an explanation for why it benefited Buzz to supposedly "force" Duane to redshirt.  You went on a rant that he owed the MU fanbase an explanation - even though everyone knew why.  He was coming off an injury.

I've got the guy ignored, and even I know he never posted an explanation. just throwing sh it at the wall and hoping it sticks

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:25 PM »
God, if only Steve had redshirted. McKay (a much, much better player) stays, we win a bunch more games last year (this year, too). Remember, Buzz was the one insisting Taylor was hurt. Steve said no, but he sure played like it. Still is.
Over the years I have learned from  experience that surgeries require not only the healing and basic rehab, but also another 3-4 more months of intense workouts to get back to the level of a high D-1 athlete. Coming back hurt is fools gold. Similarly,This is why I also think Luke needs to bite the bullet and get the surgery for his shoulder as soon as the season is over. If he does that he could be ready by the beginning of the season.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 09:33:50 PM »
God, if only Steve had redshirted. McKay (a much, much better player) stays, we win a bunch more games last year (this year, too). Remember, Buzz was the one insisting Taylor was hurt. Steve said no, but he sure played like it. Still is.

The irony is the staff wanted McKay to redshirt to bulk up, but he transferred so he could avoid that. The result is instead of sitting out one year here he sat out a year and a half in Ames. He leaves to avoid the redshirt and ends up sitting out longer than he would have if he stayed.

Definitely an "Oh what might have been" situation. Love a frontline of Luke, Juan, and McKay.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 10:12:48 PM »
I don't get why more players don't redshirt. It's better for the team since you have more experienced players and a player is less likely to transfer, the player is better on the court and can get a masters off it, and it solves the freshman playing time issue while providing bodies in practice.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »
I don't get why more players don't redshirt. It's better for the team since you have more experienced players and a player is less likely to transfer, the player is better on the court and can get a masters off it, and it solves the freshman playing time issue while providing bodies in practice.

You are asking 18-year-olds to be rational and pragmatic.

They all think they will be stars, if not instantly, then maybe by midway through their freshman years. Many of them think they will go pro by the time they are through with their junior seasons, if not earlier. Many of them don't think for themselves, as they have many "advisers" in their ears.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
You are asking 18-year-olds to be rational and pragmatic.

They all think they will be stars, if not instantly, then maybe by midway through their freshman years. Many of them think they will go pro by the time they are through with their junior seasons, if not earlier. Many of them don't think for themselves, as they have many "advisers" in their ears.

This
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2015, 06:57:21 AM »
I've got the guy ignored, and even I know he never posted an explanation. just throwing sh it at the wall and hoping it sticks
Your definition of truth doesn't mean it is so. Sultan's either. Gas is gas, and plenty is thrown by the Buzz lovers to defend him. And if I am on ignore then you cannot know, if you have never read the posts. Some of the statements you people make are hilarious.

I did post a number of posts about Buzz's idiotic statements on Derrick, on the redshirt of Duane, and Buzz's other BS antics. Because they did not fit with Sultan and others love woody for Buzzster (who has thoroughly proven his phoniness to all who have an open mind), and it doesn't fit with their opinion of Buzz, they of course  ignore it. Now some of you want to play that whole mess again.

Reading is fundamental. My opinions/explanations were posted, and I need not re-post so guys like Sultan can profess their smug imaginary Buzz propaganda in response. Go back and read the explanations if you are so interested. My guess is you won't. You would rather just spout.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »

Great point.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2015, 09:21:01 AM »
I found willie's reasoning why Buzz forced duane to redshirt.  Yes, this is an actual quote from a different thread.

Still like the Ostrich with the head in the sand. We could have Duane for the second half but he was forced to redshirt, so Buzz could play his butt boy, the elite one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
Steve is not a back to the basket power forward. Wojo needs to play him with Luke and Juan so he can be a face up shooter, either at the free throw line or the wide post with an occasional slip out to the perimeter for a three.

Even in high school he could defend the post but he was never a banger on offense. I know why Wojo starts the three point guards (best shooters, limit the fouls on MU's bigs) but in BE play, opponents are collapsing on Luke. MU really needs to improve its spacing on offense and open up the paint.

That said, his knee is near shot still. Joe Fulce-like career?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »
Steve is not a back to the basket power forward. Wojo needs to play him with Luke and Juan so he can be a face up shooter, either at the free throw line or the wide post with an occasional slip out to the perimeter for a three.

Even in high school he could defend the post but he was never a banger on offense. I know why Wojo starts the three point guards (best shooters, limit the fouls on MU's bigs) but in BE play, opponents are collapsing on Luke. MU really needs to improve its spacing on offense and open up the paint.

That said, his knee is near shot still. Joe Fulce-like career?

The problem is that Steve has shown no ability to being an effective face up shooter from anywhere (3 point line, free throw line, wing, baseline). His form looks good but he just doesn't make enough shots. Joe Fulce, OTOH, was a very good shooter - nearly automatic from the baseline.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2015, 10:29:14 AM »
The problem is that Steve has shown no ability to being an effective face up shooter from anywhere (3 point line, free throw line, wing, baseline). His form looks good but he just doesn't make enough shots. Joe Fulce, OTOH, was a very good shooter - nearly automatic from the baseline.

Freshmen year where he was used more a flasher to the free throw line, he shot 53%. Last season he shot 32% and this he is shooting 43.7%. Except for Gtown last year, he was not being used like he was freshmen year...Burton was.

Granted, he is gimp, has a limited range of about 10-15 feet, but he is better facing the basket. More so, MU has major spacing issues in its offense. I contend a bigger line up helps open creases and shooter space for the guards or Juan/Sandy/JJJ at the 3.  As it is, MU has three PG's in the game dribbling without a purpose up top waiting for a high pick by Luke late in the shot clock which also takes him out of his space of effectiveness. 

If the ball is dumped to Luke, Steve can either flash the free throw line or circle around on the ball side for a face up look from Luke.  Steve can also flair on the wide post off a guard's dribble drive for a spot up. Or you can swing him up top for the pick instead of Luke, even for a pick and pop. Instead, he is Luke's undersized back up with his back to the basket which he is neither healthy enough nor tall enough to be successful at (or talented enough for that role).

It was a stop gap move to start the season, I understand. Time for adjustments now to make him more effective in a very stuck in concrete offense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »
I found willie's reasoning why Buzz forced duane to redshirt.  Yes, this is an actual quote from a different thread.

Only willie would use a phrase like "butt boy" and expect to be taken seriously.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
Freshmen year where he was used more a flasher to the free throw line, he shot 53%. Last season he shot 32% and this he is shooting 43.7%. Except for Gtown last year, he was not being used like he was freshmen year...Burton was.

Granted, he is gimp, has a limited range of about 10-15 feet, but he is better facing the basket. More so, MU has major spacing issues in its offense. I contend a bigger line up helps open creases and shooter space for the guards or Juan/Sandy/JJJ at the 3.  As it is, MU has three PG's in the game dribbling without a purpose up top waiting for a high pick by Luke late in the shot clock which also takes him out of his space of effectiveness. 

If the ball is dumped to Luke, Steve can either flash the free throw line or circle around on the ball side for a face up look from Luke.  Steve can also flair on the wide post off a guard's dribble drive for a spot up. Or you can swing him up top for the pick instead of Luke, even for a pick and pop. Instead, he is Luke's undersized back up with his back to the basket which he is neither healthy enough nor tall enough to be successful at (or talented enough for that role).

It was a stop gap move to start the season, I understand. Time for adjustments now to make him more effective in a very stuck in concrete offense.

+1.  I think a lot of work has been done to make Steve a viable backup center out of necessity.  Wojo needs to rebuild the rest of his game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
+1.  I think a lot of work has been done to make Steve a viable backup center out of necessity.  Wojo needs to rebuild the rest of his game.

Hate to say it, but my expectations for Steve have pretty much hit bottom. Really like the kid, think he's one of the more interesting characters on the team, but it's starting to seem like he can't bang, he can't jump, he can't hit layups, he can't hit the midrange, and he can't hit threes. He can still rebound a bit, and he is at least a body, but he's a long way from where he was as a freshman.

I would absolutely love to be wrong, but I think it's more likely that he just plays a lesser role as a senior than that the staff is able to rebuild his game and make him a solid contributor. Next year he'll be competing for minutes with Luke, Henry, Wally, Heldt, and anyone else we might bring in to play in the front court. He plays now because of necessity, but I can't see the need being nearly as big next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
Hate to say it, but my expectations for Steve have pretty much hit bottom. Really like the kid, think he's one of the more interesting characters on the team, but it's starting to seem like he can't bang, he can't jump, he can't hit layups, he can't hit the midrange, and he can't hit threes. He can still rebound a bit, and he is at least a body, but he's a long way from where he was as a freshman.

I would absolutely love to be wrong, but I think it's more likely that he just plays a lesser role as a senior than that the staff is able to rebuild his game and make him a solid contributor. Next year he'll be competing for minutes with Luke, Henry, Wally, Heldt, and anyone else we might bring in to play in the front court. He plays now because of necessity, but I can't see the need being nearly as big next year.

Agreed.

Unless Taylor experiences Juan-like improvement between his junior and senior seasons, he is destined for spot duty and garbage-time play.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2015, 10:11:40 AM »
Butt boy here
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:32 AM »

I share your concerns, and feel bad for many of those limitations that are probably related to his knee. 

But the thing about Steve's game that has frustrated me the most is a mental lapse that he has made repeatedly the past few games.  One of our guards have been driving to the hoop, and when Steve's man steps up to double the driver, the guard will dump it down to Steve for what should be a wide-open layup. Unfortunately, Steve looks up to the hoop for the rebound as soon as the guard leaves the floor, instead of remaining ready for a possible pass.  Turns an easy hoop (even for a guy with knee issues) into a TO.  It's happened with Derrick, Matt and Duane as the driver.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »
Goal is National Championship