'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gardner says...  (Read 18318 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Gardner says...
« on: May 12, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
He will be here on July 6th according to new facebook update. Does anyone know if he has his test scores yet?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: Gardner says...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
Can't wait for him to start his running on July 6!! ;D
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:02:07 PM »
So we've heard via twitter or facebook from Gardner, Jones, Newbill and Blue that they will be here in July.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
So we've heard via twitter or facebook from Gardner, Jones, Newbill and Blue that they will be here in July.

Actually I think we "heard" from Crowder, not Newbill.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:08:42 PM »
Actually I think we "heard" from Crowder, not Newbill.

Ah...yes you are correct.  And we've heard from someone else on here claiming that Smith will be here in July.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
Recently as far as I have seen:

Jae Crowder: ** JUST KNOCKED OUT ANOTHER FINAL.. [PASSED IT] CAN YOU SAY " GETTING IT DONE ".. [THANKING GOD] 40 DAYS AND ILL BE IN THE [BEST] POSITION OF MY LIFE.. {FOLLOW ME @ CJC32BOSS @ TWITTER} ** (I'm assuming the best position of his life is in Milwaukee at Marquette).

Jamail Jones: countdown is still going!! 17 days left till milwaukee.. AND dang bro imma senior this is krazy.. leaving for skool in 14 days!! AND time is winding down...

Vander Blue: @CJC32BOSS ay bro when u move in (CJC being Jae Crowder, assuming they're talking about moving into Humphry) AND Daddyys hooommmeeee!!!lovvinn MU AND Thinking bout next season I got a feelin we gone b really good n proove alot of ppl wrong tworld retweet if u feel the same..MU we fly high

And then this from Davante Gardner.  I can't find a Twitter (don't really use it so maybe I just don't know how to find people) or Facebook for Smith or Newbill.  But the top 3 are the ones I am most excited to see play and would be most devastated to see not appear in a Marquette uniform next season, and they all seem to be coming to Milwaukee shortly, which would suggest they will be here next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
I think they will all be here in the summer working on their game and in the classroom. Whoever is going to prep will not be known before the start of fall semester. This helps Buzz in two ways. It cements the player's relationship with MU and keeps other schools from trying to recruit the player until they go to prep school. That leaves another school only a little over two months to convince a player to not resign with MU. Also player A may not have to go to prep school, if player B decides to leave like Roseboro or Mbakwe.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »
Unlike the rest, however, that player (Newbill, it seems), won't be able to attend summer school. Not sure how that affects his summer status on campus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:10:58 PM »
I think they will all be here in the summer working on their game and in the classroom. Whoever is going to prep will not be known before the start of fall semester. This helps Buzz in two ways. It cements the player's relationship with MU and keeps other schools from trying to recruit the player until they go to prep school. That leaves another school only a little over two months to convince a player to not resign with MU. Also player A may not have to go to prep school, if player B decides to leave like Roseboro or Mbakwe.

OK...but Buzz said that the person going prep knows they are going prep.  If it's for academic reasons, they can't be working with the team until they are cleared.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »

OK...but Buzz said that the person going prep knows they are going prep.  If it's for academic reasons, they can't be working with the team until they are cleared.

You remember where/what thread Buzz said the person going prep, knows they are going prep?  I didn't recall seeing that or reading that?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
It wasn't explicitly stated, but it was implied that someone or more than one person needed to work hard to qualify and they know who they are

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 10:31:27 PM »
I do hope it's Newbill going to Prep school.  I trust Buzz's judgment, and his game-winning shot looked clutch, but he is a low-THREE STAR on a team still loaded with other guards.  I think we need Smith as an option, but Newbill is the one guy I don't see contributing freshman year.  No offense on that - D. Wade used freshman year to study, but I'd love to have him play four years at MU ending in 2015.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

LA

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
It wasn't explicitly stated, but it was implied that someone or more than one person needed to work hard to qualify and they know who they are

Someone on another thread said that Buzz stated at an event in LA recently that the player(s) going to prep school knew already.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
I am pretty sure the thread said Buzz said that the people who know they have to work hard know who they are

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 07:06:07 AM »
Random question.

Can a player play D-1 for a year two, go prep, then come back to college?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »
I do hope it's Newbill going to Prep school.  I trust Buzz's judgment, and his game-winning shot looked clutch, but he is a low-THREE STAR on a team still loaded with other guards.  I think we need Smith as an option, but Newbill is the one guy I don't see contributing freshman year.  No offense on that - D. Wade used freshman year to study, but I'd love to have him play four years at MU ending in 2015.

You ever seen Newbill play?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »
Apparently a lot of you are not aware of the recruiting rules...and that is understandable as it is confusing. But...Once the recruit signs a LOI with MU(or any school) there is a "recruiting ban" in place, even if he doesn't enroll in that school for a year. So, NO ONE can contact any of the recruits until November of next year. Which means, they are going to prep with full intentions of returning to MU in 2011. It's a heck of a smart strategy by Buzz, as it is essentially "stashing" players, and it will also take care of 2011's recruiting class, sans for Mr. Dawson. :)

Right from the NCAA handbook:

RECRUITING BAN AFTER SIGNING: The NLI Recruiting Ban remains in effect until the prospective student-athlete enrolls at the signing institution or if the prospective student-athlete does not enroll at the signing institution, the recruiting ban will be lifted after the signing institution's next academic year has elapsed. For example, the prospective student-athlete signs in 2009-10 and does not subsequently enroll at that institution for the 2010-11 academic year, the recruiting ban would be lifted at the end of the 2010-11 academic year. Once a student enrolls at the signing institution he or she is governed by applicable NCAA recruiting bylaws.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Apparently a lot of you are not aware of the recruiting rules...and that is understandable as it is confusing. But...Once the recruit signs a LOI with MU(or any school) there is a "recruiting ban" in place, even if he doesn't enroll in that school for a year. So, NO ONE can contact any of the recruits until November of next year. Which means, they are going to prep with full intentions of returning to MU in 2011. It's a heck of a smart strategy by Buzz, as it is essentially "stashing" players, and it will also take care of 2011's recruiting class, sans for Mr. Dawson. :)

You assume two things:

1) The recruit was aware of his impending "stashing" when he committed to Marquette.

2) The recruit will still want to be a part of Marquette after said "stashing".

Buzz is trying to do the impossible: win a National Title for Marquette in his relatively short time in Milwaukee. He'll do it by any means necessary within the malleable boundaries of fair play.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »
You assume two things:

1) The recruit was aware of his impending "stashing" when he committed to Marquette. They were aware....or they would NOT have signed the LOI. They are committed to MU and Buzz

Did you NOT read what I just posted?? They HAVE to be committed to MU. They can NOT be re recruited by ANYONE until the END of MU's academic season NEXT year. What are they going to do, pay their own way somewhere?? walk on?? Give up basketball?? Those would essentially be their choices.

Buzz is trying to do the impossible: win a National Title for Marquette in his relatively short time in Milwaukee. He'll do it by any means necessary within the malleable boundaries of fair play.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:46 AM »
You assume two things:

1) The recruit was aware of his impending "stashing" when he committed to Marquette.

1) Why wouldn't the recruit be aware of his impending "stashing" when he committed to Marquette?  These kids know their grades, and know what they have to achieve on their tests to qualify.  To say they don't is crazy.

2) Probably a bit more hazy, but why sign a LOI knowing full well you are going to prep?  What is the point?  I think it would be VERY comforting to know that I had a spot locked up for next year if I was a recruit.  I have to hold up my end of the bargain and then I get to live my dream.

It isn't as if every kid who goes to prep gets to make his choice of school where he plays college ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 08:31:58 AM »
1) Why wouldn't the recruit be aware of his impending "stashing" when he committed to Marquette?  These kids know their grades, and know what they have to achieve on their tests to qualify.  To say they don't is crazy.

Again, let's not just ASSUME whoever is prepping is doing so because of grades. Maybe their grades are good enough, but Buzz and the recruit both agree that they should prep for a year and work on their skills and come in in 2011 an already to go player. It's not unheard of. Kids have done it.2) Probably a bit more hazy, but why sign a LOI knowing full well you are going to prep?  What is the point?  I think it would be VERY comforting to know that I had a spot locked up for next year if I was a recruit.  I have to hold up my end of the bargain and then I get to live my dream.

It isn't as if every kid who goes to prep gets to make his choice of school where he plays college ball.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »
Did you NOT read what I just posted?? They HAVE to be committed to MU. They can NOT be re recruited by ANYONE until the END of MU's academic season NEXT year. What are they going to do, pay their own way somewhere?? walk on?? Give up basketball?? Those would essentially be their choices.

Actually they don't have to be committed, you left out a few very important things about that clause of the NLI.  The recruiting ban is only in effect if the school does not release the player, and the player does not ask for a release.  Obviously if MU is trying to stash players at a prep school the first one wouldn't happen, but even if MU refuses to release the player, the player can petition the NLI committee for a release and in a situation like this it is almost a certainty that it would be granted, thus removing the recruiting ban.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
You assume two things:

Surprise, surprise - look who's hating on Buzz.  Give it up dude.  Given the rest of your post history, your agenda is quite transparent.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

muguru

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:45:32 AM »
Actually they don't have to be committed, you left out a few very important things about that clause of the NLI.  The recruiting ban is only in effect if the school does not release the player, and the player does not ask for a release.  Obviously if MU is trying to stash players at a prep school the first one wouldn't happen, but even if MU refuses to release the player, the player can petition the NLI committee for a release and in a situation like this it is almost a certainty that it would be granted, thus removing the recruiting ban.

No, I didn't forget....I just didn't mention it because in this(these) particular cases, the chances the kid(s) will be asking out of their LOI are slim and none and slim just left. This was all prearranged. A you scratch my back, I will scartch yours type of agreement.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
muguru, just to clarify, you think that a player good enough to play for Marquette would sign a LOI and then go play prep?  You think he would choose that?

I realize that it is possible, but lets be real here.  If someone as good as RS, DG, DN, et al. is good enough to be recruited to play D1 ball for multiple schools, they are going to be playing D1 ball; not dominating kids in prep school.