[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is this it for Henry?  (Read 23868 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Is this it for Henry?
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
After two forgettable seasons in Detroit, Henry Ellenson is approaching his make or break 3rd season.  Unfortunately, his summer league performance has been more of the same.  Averaging 12 points a game on 16.5 shots.  25% from the field and 12% from 3, and over 6 TOs a game.  NBA future looks bleak for the kid.  Always had a good looking stroke but it doesnt matter if the ball doesnt go in the basket.  Yet hes always remained a chucker.  Would like to see him work more to the interior, his offense 15 feet and in was always impressive, yet rarely seen.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: Is this it for Henry?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »
After two forgettable seasons in Detroit, Henry Ellenson is approaching his make or break 3rd season.  Unfortunately, his summer league performance has been more of the same.  Averaging 12 points a game on 16.5 shots.  25% from the field and 12% from 3, and over 6 TOs a game.  NBA future looks bleak for the kid.  Always had a good looking stroke but it doesnt matter if the ball doesnt go in the basket.  Yet hes always remained a chucker.  Would like to see him work more to the interior, his offense 15 feet and in was always impressive, yet rarely seen.

I think in the league he'd be defended by guys he didn't have to deal with in college (inside 15 feet). Doesn't seem like he's got the kind of hops to get away with it.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 01:13:11 PM »
Henry is a perfect example of a kid picking the right school where he was highlighted with a weak roster.  He just does not have enough lateral quickness or jumping
ability to play at the next level.  But in saying that he made the right decision.  He got 3 years of a guaranteed contract worth 5.3 million so the worse that happens he goes to Europe for 8 years and maybe he will be 30.  Should have $3M in the bank after next year and if he invests wisely, he will never have to worry about money.  Not
so bad.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
Dont disagree with what u say DC, especially about financial future, but there are plenty of guys with slow lateral quickness in the NBA.  One that just retired from Brown Deer and many others.  Difference really is that when they shot it it went in. 
Henrys ill advised chucking as a Freshman drove me nuts as did Wojos continuous encouragement of it along with his belief that he would soon begin making a higher percentage.  Henry with the ball in the wide post orelbow or ft line was deadly.  At 3 point line was a disaster. It never did improve at MU and it hasnt in the NBA either.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
Regrettable outcome for Henry but not surprising. Would have more years at MU helped? I will leave that to the experts to discuss.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
Regrettable outcome for Henry but not surprising. Would have more years at MU helped? I will leave that to the experts to discuss.

The problem with leaving early is you only get 3 yrs to prove yourself.  For guys like Kevin Knox or Kevin Durant its not an issue.  For a guy like Ellenson its hard to argue that another year or two would not have better prepared him to be able to make more of an initial impact and be a better player after those 3 years are up.  Ie. would he be a better player at 25 than 23? 

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »

I'm of the opinion that Henry was smart to go when he did.  It seems his shooting still hasn't really been good. 

What if he stayed 2 or 3 more years and his shooting numbers still didn't improve?  His stock probably goes down as he gets older and numbers don't get better. 

His appeal was that he was a near 7 footer who could possibly score from 3 levels.  Unfortunately, he hasn't really proven he can do it. 

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
The problem with leaving early is you only get 3 yrs to prove yourself.  For guys like Kevin Knox or Kevin Durant its not an issue.  For a guy like Ellenson its hard to argue that another year or two would not have better prepared him to be able to make more of an initial impact and be a better player after those 3 years are up.  Ie. would he be a better player at 25 than 23?

Probably would have agreed with you. Like to think if he had been on a better team his sophomore year, he would have learned more and been limited to what he did best. However, money talks.

Henry probably is a case of too many people reading hyper-inflated press clippings. He was good but from the beginning one had to wonder whether he was as good as his press clippings said. Candidly, he's probably not and the scouts badly overrated him.

Too much of what he competed against was the Northwoods League in Rice Lake, where you're playing such basketball powerhouses as Shell Lake, Spooner, Minong, Chetek and, if you're lucky and there's money left in the budget, Eau Claire!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:58 PM »
Agree on the relative lack of athleticism.

Whenever I saw Henry play I always thought to myself "is he flat footed?"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
Agree on the relative lack of athleticism.

Whenever I saw Henry play I always thought to myself "is he flat footed?"
I would guess 75% of major D1 bball players are flat footed

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
I do not see how staying two more years in college would of made him any better than playing the two years he played in the g-league.  However, I did wonder how good MU would of been when I was watching Wagner against Villanova. It was not hard to envision Ellenson being similar to what Wagner was. Last year MU with Ellenson at center instead of Heldt would of been a very interesting team to watch.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »

Lookin' like his next contract may only bee $28 mil/4 yrs, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 09:23:40 PM »
Last year MU with Ellenson at center instead of Heldt would of been a very interesting team to watch.

If, and it's a big if, Henry and his people would have consented to him playing center (or at least inside), yes - but I doubt that was ever going happen.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »

Lookin' like his next contract may only bee $28 mil/4 yrs, hey?

i hope so, but not to sound smug err anything, $3 mil at age twenty-something really isn't going to go very far.  someone will want him for something-from everything i've seen and heard, he's a good ole wholesome, sharp guy
don't...don't don't don't don't

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »
God I love reading this from way back when. 

#bansultan
View Profile  Personal Message (Offline)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 06:46:06 PM »
Quote from: jonny09 on December 05, 2015, 06:39:31 PM
Henry is not ready for the NBA.  Needs to improve his defense and strength.  He would be a permanent fixture on the bench.  Granted, these are things he can certainly work towards.

Henry would get minutes.  Maybe 12-15, but he would be paid and getting coached up in the process.  A #8 pick in the draft isn't expected to be a super star by any means.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »

#bansultan
Henry is not ready for the NBA.  Needs to improve his defense and strength.  He would be a permanent fixture on the bench.  Granted, these are things he can certainly work towards.

Henry would get minutes.  Maybe 12-15, but he would be paid and getting coached up in the process.  A #8 pick in the draft isn't expected to be a super star by any means.

You love seeing a 19 year old kid go on to fail in his profession? Sad.

So your point is he should’ve stayed in school, had his deficiencies exposed for a longer period of time, and never get an NBA paycheck?

Seems like Hank made the decision he needed to make.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »
I'm of the opinion that Henry was smart to go when he did.  It seems his shooting still hasn't really been good. 

What if he stayed 2 or 3 more years and his shooting numbers still didn't improve?  His stock probably goes down as he gets older and numbers don't get better. 

His appeal was that he was a near 7 footer who could possibly score from 3 levels.  Unfortunately, he hasn't really proven he can do it.

Spot on.

Take the NBA paycheck and get the coaching and practice competition needed to see if you have what it takes. If you do, you're set for life. If you don't, you have several mill in the bank, a chance to make plenty of money in Europe if you want to, etc. You can always go back to college.

We'll never know if staying would have been better for him. What we do know for certain is that he will have made millions of dollars while getting to a level in his chosen profession that few do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 01:35:08 AM »
i hope so, but not to sound smug err anything, $3 mil at age twenty-something really isn't going to go very far.  someone will want him for something-from everything i've seen and heard, he's a good ole wholesome, sharp guy

$3 million at age twenty-something isn't going to go very far?

What the f*ck are you on?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 06:35:49 AM »

#bansultan

Yep.  Looks like I overestimated his impact.  But I think I was more on the mark than this guy who "truly believed" that JJJ was going to be a first round pick.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=40267.msg524758#msg524758

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 08:22:49 AM »
It's his mom's fault.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »

Yep.

Plus, it's not as if he will stop making a living the day he stops playing basketball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
Yep.

Plus, it's not as if he will stop making a living the day he stops playing basketball.

Right, when NBA is done, he can play anywhere for money.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »

The average American household makes less than $60,000 per year, so that money would get you about 50 years of middle class living. If you manage it wisely, that money would get a single person a long, long way.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »
Personally, I think Henry's pro game has gone about as I expected.  As to his 'one and done' decision, I think we mostly saw that coming in.  Look, Henry's brief stint here at MU will always be remembered for providing MU nation with a brief relief from what was an otherwise forgettable early Wojo rebuilding era.  Each side got what they needed out of it.  And then each side moved on.  Of all of MU's NBA players, I'm most indifferent about Henry.  A MU rental.  I wish him the best. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
The average American household makes less than $60,000 per year

#FakeNews #lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.