[Today at 12:16:04 PM]

More conference realignment talk by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 11:43:21 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by DegenerateDish
[Today at 10:58:59 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A parent's nightmare  (Read 3886 times)

MU82

• All American
A parent's nightmare
« on: May 01, 2018, 07:20:37 AM »
How many times have you played with your kids in shallow water, got knocked down by a wave, and laughed and laughed as the ocean water washed over you? In my case, it was probably hundreds of times.

Well, this is a sobering, sad story about the fragility of life:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article210125894.html

The body of 4-year-old Wesley Belisle was found Monday morning, 5 days after he was swept out to sea by a reported "rogue wave."

He was found at 7:40 a.m. on Carova Beach in Currituck County after an intense search. That's 34 miles north of the beach in Kitty Hawk where he disappeared Tuesday afternoon.

His mother told police a wave knocked her and the boy to the ground and pulled them out to sea as they walked along the beach Tuesday.

The surf at Kitty Hawk that day was intense, with waves 4 to 6 feet high "crashing onto shore with ferocity," reported the Washington Post.

The mother of the missing boy reported the two were walking in ankle deep water about 3 p.m. Tuesday when they were struck by a wave that knocked both to the ground. The boy was ripped from her grasp and quickly carried away, reported the Kitty Hawk Police Department.

She got up and scoured the water for her son as another wave rushed in, and then “lost sight of him in the surf,” U.S. Coast Guard officials told the Washington Post.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: A parent's nightmare
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:30:02 AM »
Couple years ago for spring break we were at Puerto Vallarta with two other families .. I had a waterproof camera and was taking video of our group of 14 playing in the big waves .. one dad was with his 8 year old daughter nearly break loose from a big wave.  There was a few long seconds of wondering what was going to happen, washed out to sea, but he recovered.

On video, you can hear me saying "damn, I hope none of the moms saw that."

We played in the pool for the rest of the day.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:37:53 AM »
That’s been my family’s vacation spot for the last 30 years. The ocean can get pretty violent there after a storm. To me and some other surfers, that always made it fun - and perhaps a little scary - but this is sobering indeed. As a guy in his 30s, I’ve noticed a sad fact of aging is becoming more aware (and yet properly compartmentalizing) all these tiny risks that could have enormous consequences.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
Very sad, but also be ever vigilant in your surroundings, especially in nature. These two statements below are at odds, however, and just show how we should also be aware of the environment we are in. I am also willing to guess red flags were up on the beach.  I know that area, and the Gulf Stream is just off shore, and the current can move very fast. Those waves move islands and sink ships when they get roiling.

Very unfortunate.

after he was swept out to sea by a reported "rogue wave."

The surf at Kitty Hawk that day was intense, with waves 4 to 6 feet high "crashing onto shore with ferocity," reported the Washington Post.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
On our first trip to Hawaii, my wife and I had "custody" of our niece for an afternoon while the others in our party took a helicopter trip.

We were having fun in the waves when a huge one hit and almost ripped my niece out of my grasp. Thank goodness I was able to hold onto her. That would have put a crimp in the family vacation.

Just last year, I was almost swept out to sea by a violent rip tide off the coast of Kauai. My then-future (now current) son-in-law made a valiant effort to save my life and ended up in trouble with me. I liked the guy anyway, but he really won me there. Thankfully, as we hung on for dear life, the rip tide reversed and a giant wave thrust us back into the natural "pool" in which we had been swimming. I was quite shaken up after the incident ... but the next day I wanted to go back to "prove" I wasn't afraid of one of my favorite spots on earth - Queen's Bath on the northern Kauai coast. I half-jokingly say I want to be cremated and to have my ashes spread there ... but Queen's Bath almost claimed me early!

The ocean is an unpredictable and violent thing. When we go to Mexico, we will be as cognizant as we can of the situation.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »
On our first trip to Hawaii, my wife and I had "custody" of our niece for an afternoon while the others in our party took a helicopter trip.

We were having fun in the waves when a huge one hit and almost ripped my niece out of my grasp. Thank goodness I was able to hold onto her. That would have put a crimp in the family vacation.

Just last year, I was almost swept out to sea by a violent rip tide off the coast of Kauai. My then-future (now current) son-in-law made a valiant effort to save my life and ended up in trouble with me. I liked the guy anyway, but he really won me there. Thankfully, as we hung on for dear life, the rip tide reversed and a giant wave thrust us back into the natural "pool" in which we had been swimming. I was quite shaken up after the incident ... but the next day I wanted to go back to "prove" I wasn't afraid of one of my favorite spots on earth - Queen's Bath on the northern Kauai coast. I half-jokingly say I want to be cremated and to have my ashes spread there ... but Queen's Bath almost claimed me early!

The ocean is an unpredictable and violent thing. When we go to Mexico, we will be as cognizant as we can of the situation.

We went to Queen's Bath on our honeymoon and stood safely up the slope as we watched winter waves absolutely devastate that area. A couple idiots crept out on the volcanic rock outcroppings to get some wave spray, but every once in a while a big wave would wash over the whole area. Lose your footing there and it's battered on rocks or swept out to sea, pick your tombstone.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 10:19:43 AM »
I had a neighbor here in suburban Atlanta that, while boogy boarding with his daughters on vacation, was knocked off his board by a rogue wave and broke his neck on a mound of sand underneath the water.  One of his daughters had to pull him out of the water and perform CPR on him as he couldn't move himself to raise his head out of less than a couple of feet of water and drowned.  He is a quadriplegic and will spend the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
This thread is the Doom thread, version 2.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
We're friends with the mom of a graduating MU Senior.  About 5-6 years ago her husband had a similar accident while the family was vacationing in Hawaii and ended up totally disabled.  He sadly passed away about a year ago.  MU has been a tremendous support network for his widow in what is now surely a month of mixed emotions for the family.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
I had a neighbor here in suburban Atlanta that, while boogy boarding with his daughters on vacation, was knocked off his board by a rogue wave and broke his neck on a mound of sand underneath the water.  One of his daughters had to pull him out of the water and perform CPR on him as he couldn't move himself to raise his head out of less than a couple of feet of water and drowned.  He is a quadriplegic and will spend the rest of his days in a wheelchair.

That same first family trip where we almost lost our niece off the coast of Maui, we spent a few days on the Big Island. They have an amazing boogie-boarding beach called Hapuna. Back then in 1993, it was completely undeveloped. Now there are hotels and restaurants around it, but the beach is still great.

Anyway, we went to Hapuna three straight days. The first day (we were later told), conditions were absolutely perfect for boogie-boarding, and my brother and I had an amazing time. It was our first-ever experience boogie-boarding, and we were loving riding the waves. I wore my mask and fins, and it was great.

The second day we went thinking it was gonna be just like the day before, but (we were later told) the conditions were about as nasty as they can get. A big wave would lift us up and then send us crashing down into the sand. I landed hard on each shoulder several times and, in retrospect, we were lucky neither of us suffered the fate of your neighbor. I lost my mask in one of the waves and never found it.

The third day wasn't as wild as the second but wasn't as perfect as the first. My brother and I, having been beaten up the day before, were more in the chill mode, paddling around on our boogie boards rather than trying to surf. We were having a conversation as we floated in the ocean when all of a sudden we looked up and realized we were WAYYYY out to sea. We could barely even see the beach. We tried to go back in but we seemed to be taking two "steps" back for every step forward. We're both very strong swimmers and we weren't panicking - yet - but we were a little worried. Thankfully, a fellow surfer - an actual surfer - spotted us and asked if we wanted a tow in. We swallowed our pride and accepted.

These stories often are subjects at family reunions. I was young and stupid. I don't know what my brother's excuse was!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »
I injured my back on my honeymoon.   Not the usual way.    But by getting my ass kicked playing in 8-10 foot waves off of St. Augustine.    I was used to playing in 4-6 foot waves in lake Michigan.   The difference between those and the 8-10 footers was exponential.    Introduced to chiropractic when I got back from my honeymoon. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
We went to Queen's Bath on our honeymoon and stood safely up the slope as we watched winter waves absolutely devastate that area. A couple idiots crept out on the volcanic rock outcroppings to get some wave spray, but every once in a while a big wave would wash over the whole area. Lose your footing there and it's battered on rocks or swept out to sea, pick your tombstone.

Some people get confused about what Queen's Bath actually is. Not saying this was the case with you, but I know we were confused the first time we went.

You walk down the path to get to the ocean (sometimes slide down the path, if it's muddy!), and you are greeted by a couple of ominous-looking, deep, volcanic pools. One would think nobody in their right minds would go in there, but I have seen people do it. Not only would the dive in be treacherous, but I have no idea how they get out! Some folks think this is Queen's Bath, go no further and then turn around to go home.

But if you walk past those, you will get to a calmer (relatively speaking), more accessible pool - the real Queen's Bath. The jump off the not-very-high cliff is not particularly threatening; my wife, who is a chicken from way back, has done it many times. Usually, even in winter, the water in the pool isn't too violent. We have gone there in January, March, April, July, August and December - every time we've gone to Kauai, I've made at least one trip to QB. And I never once thought it was too violent to dive in. But I have heard that it sometimes can be too violent, and perhaps you were there one of those days.

I actually have thought about doing a book about Queen's Bath - lots of photographs, which would be spectacular, but also looking into some of the accounts of people who died there or survivors who have stories to tell. And now I have my own near-death experience to frame it all. I'd have to put my life on hold for several months to do it right, though ... and it would mean spending a couple of long stretch in Hawaii (darn it!). I'd have to go there at least once during the winter, which would be difficult as long as I'm coaching hoops. Maybe someday!

Anyway, we've strayed from the topic of this thread - and I'm the chief culprit - which is how devastating that poor family who lost the 4-year-old boy must be.

I can't even imagine, really.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »
My advice to all parents that are concerned about water safety:

Eff swimming lessons.  At most pools, they are taught by 16-year-olds who don't want to be there.  The pace of learning is glacial.  What are there, like, 12 levels in Red Cross lessons?

As soon as they can dog paddle the length of the pool (and if they are under 7, even if they can't) sign them up for the summer swim team.  By August they will be the strongest swimmers of anyone their age (except for other kids on the swim team). If they end up liking it, it's a sport they can participate in the rest of their lives. It is a great way to stay in shape when you are an adult.
Have some patience, FFS.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »

Eff swimming lessons.  At most pools, they are taught by 16-year-olds who don't want to be there.  The pace of learning is glacial.  What are there, like, 12 levels in Red Cross lessons?

As soon as they can dog paddle the length of the pool (and if they are under 7, even if they can't) sign them up for the summer swim team.  By August they will be the strongest swimmers of anyone their age (except for other kids on the swim team). If they end up liking it, it's a sport they can participate in the rest of their lives. It is a great way to stay in shape when you are an adult.
Great advice and agree completely. Two of our three kids do summer swim team, the older of the two swims year round. Our other daughter does gymnastics and has no time (and we have no money  ;D) for her to do swimming.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:08 PM »
Very sad, but also be ever vigilant in your surroundings, especially in nature. These two statements below are at odds, however, and just show how we should also be aware of the environment we are in. I am also willing to guess red flags were up on the beach.  I know that area, and the Gulf Stream is just off shore, and the current can move very fast. Those waves move islands and sink ships when they get roiling.

Very unfortunate.

Amen, Brother Blackheart. My wife and I live on the Treasure Coast of Florida six months of the year. We are very careful around the Ocean (about 1/4 mile away from our home) because we grew up away from the coast and because we know how powerful and unexpected the sea can be.

We have rip currents everywhere here. There's also a reason why they call us the Treasure Coast. There's literally hundreds of wrecks offshore here -- most in Davey Jones' locker because they didn't know or didn't respect the sea around here.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »

Superb. Makes me want to have another kid just to put him/her on the swim team.

OK, not really, but still a superb idea.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »

We learned the same thing with our older kids. Two years of lessons, and they could hardly swim at all...got to keep them coming back and paying for lessons, after all. Once we put them on the swim team, they could swim a full lap by the end of the first practice. No exaggeration.  Swim team is absolutely the way to go.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 03:50:49 AM »
Never thought about that for swim team/swimming lessons.

I was never on a swim team but always considered myself a pretty strong swimmer (was a lifeguard for a few years as well). But looking back on it now, my swimming ability probably had more to do with me swimming in a lake every summer at camp or spending six hours a day in a pool in Florida more than it did the lessons.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 06:44:59 AM »

Yes, this is the best approach.  My parents did it with us kids and we all did it with ours.  That, plus - respect the ocean.  Its not a swimming pool.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 06:55:42 AM »
I was on the beach there two years ago when the waves were above 10 feet. Surfers loved it, but can't believe any parent would let their child anywhere near it.

feedback