collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A reason to root for Bucky football  (Read 9854 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
Re: A reason to root for Bucky football
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
Badger fans in Milwaukee definitely view it as a big rivalry no matter how you want to put it.

Agree it's a slightly bigger deal here, but the game is in Madison, and that was my original point.

I've been in MKE area since I graduated ('90) and most of the Badger fans I know either actively root for MU when not playing MU or don't care one way or the other. I don't see the hatred of MU like I see the hatred for "all things Bucky."  It reminds me of Cubs/Brewers -- Cubs fans don't hate Brewers and probably rooted for them a bit when they were in the American League. Cubs vs. Reds is the same as Cubs vs. Brewers -- division game, important, but little true "rivalry." Cubs fans focus hate Sox and Cards. Brewers fans on the other hand, hate the Cubs and think of it as a huge rivalry (although the Cards rivalry seems to be taking shape since the Cubs are pathetic).

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
I'm not sure why this is causing so much debate.  It seem pretty obvious to me that Wisco in the B-10 title game would affect the secondary market for tickets.  Simple supply and demand.  It would seem that this convergence of events would affect both the supply of tickets on the secondary market and the demand for those tickets.  Supply increases because some fans who typically would have used their tickets will be looking to sell them.  Demand decreases because some people who typically would have wanted to purchase tickets on the secondary market will be attending the football game instead.  I would think that the combination of increased supply and reduced demand will necessarily affect the secondary market.  The extent of the effect is debatable, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some effect.

Obviously, the counter argument is that the demand so far exceeds the supply that even 30,000 fewer potential customers will not affect the price, but I just disagree with this.  How much demand is there?  If there are 300,000 people who would purchase tickets for the game given the opportunity (which I very much doubt), I still would think a 10% reduction in the demand would affect the price.

And another point...when you're talking about scalped tickets, the demand at issue is the number of people walking around the arena looking for tickets.  Reduce the number of people there (and increase the number of tickets available), and the price will go down.  
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »
I understand that, but my point is that there are thousands to take their place.
I would disagree and say that if they are in the B10 Championship, there are not (many) thousands to take their place for a game they don't really care about. Too much effort (travel, ticket, parking, etc.) for little reward (in their opinion).

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
I would disagree and say that if they are in the B10 Championship, there are not (many) thousands to take their place for a game they don't really care about. Too much effort (travel, ticket, parking, etc.) for little reward (in their opinion).

They've sold out the last 138 games at the Kohl Hole.  And they have the highest attendance in the Big 10 (7th nationally)... which also has the highest attendance of any conference.

You grossly underestimate their 'care' factor.  The KC will be as packed as it always is... you can take that to the bank.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
If the games are being played AT THE SAME TIME, most Badger fans will want to watch the football game on TV.  The Kohl hole may still be full, but you will be able to get your tickets on the street for way cheaper than usual.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »
They've sold out the last 138 games at the Kohl Hole.  And they have the highest attendance in the Big 10 (7th nationally)... which also has the highest attendance of any conference.

You grossly underestimate their 'care' factor.  The KC will be as packed as it always is... you can take that to the bank.

Proportionally, this helps MU fans get access.  Not saying the Kohl Hole will be all Blue and Gold, but instead of being totally drowned out, we will make some noise.   Most of the Bucky fans I know are big fans of FB and BB, but for a chance to go to the inaugural FB Championship, they will sell me their tickets in a heartbeat.  

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

I haven't seen anyone argue that the game won't be sold out.  I think Freeport was just speculating that there would be more scalper tickets available and that hopefully he'd be able to avoid that $200 price point he's had in the past.  Seems to me that he's probably right.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »

You're missing my point. The "care factor" will be reflected in the lower ticket prices (due to decreased demand), not that it will be sold out. Do you think their UWM game has the same "care factor" as the Michican State game even though both technically sell out?

Bottom line is that if Badgers are in the B10 Football Championship game, there will be more MU fans at the Kohl Center at a much lower price than in previous years.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
If the games are being played AT THE SAME TIME, most Badger fans will want to watch the football game on TV.  The Kohl hole may still be full, but you will be able to get your tickets on the street for way cheaper than usual.

Probably, yes.

This assumes that a large portion of tickets are scalped.  Most UW friends that I have sell them to friends/family that want to go to the game... I'm sure there will be scalpers, but I doubt the prices will be much lower than normal.

Also, I sincerely doubt that UW is stupid enough to schedule the basketball and football games at the same time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
I haven't seen anyone argue that the game won't be sold out.  I think Freeport was just speculating that there would be more scalper tickets available and that hopefully he'd be able to avoid that $200 price point he's had in the past.  Seems to me that he's probably right.

Wear a Bucky shirt to buy your tickets, and then change into your Blue and Gold.

$200?  Man, I thought Badger fans didn't care about the basketball team.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Probably, yes.

This assumes that a large portion of tickets are scalped.  Most UW friends that I have sell them to friends/family that want to go to the game... I'm sure there will be scalpers, but I doubt the prices will be much lower than normal.

Also, I sincerely doubt that UW is stupid enough to schedule the basketball and football games at the same time.

All of this is true.  But if 30,000 of those friends/family are in Indy for the football game, those tickets will trickle down to other recipients (who in turn won't have to buy the scalped tickets).  More supply...less demand...cheaper tickets.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
All of this is true.  But if 30,000 of those friends/family are in Indy for the football game, those tickets will trickle down to other recipients (who in turn won't have to buy the scalped tickets).  More supply...less demand...cheaper tickets.

I know, I know... simple economics... I just don't think the impact will be very big.

Please don't say 'trickle down' again, I might have a brain anyeurism.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
Wear a Bucky shirt to buy your tickets, and then change into your Blue and Gold.

$200?  Man, I thought Badger fans didn't care about the basketball team.
Of all the $ spent on sports tickets over the years, that was definitely a highlight. Both teams were ranked. The only MU fan remotely near me was George Koonce and we were having a great time as we pulled it out at the end. After the game, some co-ed introduced me to fish bowls at Wando's and the rest was a blur.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »
I know, I know... simple economics... I just don't think the impact will be very big.

Please don't say 'trickle down' again, I might have a brain anyeurism.

Well, it seems that we agree that there would be an effect on the supply-side.

Hard to say how big the impact will be.  Is it a "big" impact if a ticket that typically sells for $50 can be had for $45?  Five bucks isn't much...but some would consider 10% a big impact.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »
Of all the $ spent on sports tickets over the years, that was definitely a highlight. Both teams were ranked. The only MU fan remotely near me was George Koonce and we were having a great time as we pulled it out at the end. After the game, some co-ed introduced me to fish bowls at Wando's and the rest was a blur.

Oooooooh Wandos!.. gotta show up Tuesdays for free bacon!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
Well, it seems that we agree that there would be an effect on the supply-side.

Hard to say how big the impact will be.  Is it a "big" impact if a ticket that typically sells for $50 can be had for $45?  Five bucks isn't much...but some would consider 10% a big impact.

Personally, I'd say that $5 cheaper tickets would be a small impact. 

I'd say that tickets typically have to cost 50% more to be a big impact.

And yes, I realize this is all rather arbitrary.

I'm not sure the effect is on supply alone... by your (or others) description, the demand would be low (due to the B10 championship game), which would create a higher supply in the scalper market.

This has always been a fuzzy area for me in economics... sort of the chicken and the egg and which came first.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »
Personally, I'd say that $5 cheaper tickets would be a small impact. 

I'd say that tickets typically have to cost 50% more to be a big impact.

And yes, I realize this is all rather arbitrary.

I'm not sure the effect is on supply alone... by your (or others) description, the demand would be low (due to the B10 championship game), which would create a higher supply in the scalper market.

This has always been a fuzzy area for me in economics... sort of the chicken and the egg and which came first.

I only included the "supply-side" reference in the last post as a follow up to your response to the "trickle down" comment.  I tried to tip you off by italicizing it...but I really don't do teal or the winking guys...

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »
I only included the "supply-side" reference in the last post as a follow up to your response to the "trickle down" comment.  I tried to tip you off by italicizing it...but I really don't do teal or the winking guys...

Okay, I figured that is what you were getting at, but I was just trying to read more into it... hahaha.

bastard.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 03:17:25 PM »
Supply = people who have tickets that may be willing to sell them.
Demand = people who do not have tickets but want them.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Supply = people who have tickets that may be willing to sell them.
Demand = people who do not have tickets but want them.

Right, I understand that.  I didn't go to Oshkosh.  ;D

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
I believe (but could be wrong)

Increased supply causes the supply curve to shift to the right, lowering the price.  Demand curve shifts to the left, also lowering the price.

The extent to which the price lowers depends on the relative shifts of each curve and the inelasticity of demand for tickets.  The lengthy sellout streak would point to evidence for a high inelasticity of demand and small shift in the demand curve.  Shift of the supply curve would be a function of the number of STH's that are also invested in Wisconsin being in the B10 championship.  

Also, f*ck wisconsin football.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
I believe (but could be wrong)

Increased supply causes the supply curve to shift to the right, lowering the price.  Demand curve shifts to the left, also lowering the price.

The extent to which the price lowers depends on the relative shifts of each curve and the inelasticity of demand for tickets.  The lengthy sellout streak would point to evidence for a high inelasticity of demand and small shift in the demand curve.  Shift of the supply curve would be a function of the number of STH's that are also invested in Wisconsin being in the B10 championship.  

Also, f*ck wisconsin football.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
I was not concerned with $$ as much as availability.  I don't think that many people around here, (who are used to the dnace that goes on getting ticky's for the MU/UW game) think that there will be 7,000 tickets available.  I hope that there may be 1000-1500 because of the odd circumstances. 

Even if the basketball game is moved so there is no time conflict, Badger fans will stay in Indy to drink.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
I was not concerned with $$ as much as availability.  I don't think that many people around here, (who are used to the dnace that goes on getting ticky's for the MU/UW game) think that there will be 7,000 tickets available.  I hope that there may be 1000-1500 because of the odd circumstances. 

Even if the basketball game is moved so there is no time conflict, Badger fans will stay in Indy to drink.

But at least people won't be at home or bars watching the football game instead of the basketball game.  The fans that stay home will watch the football game on TV then go to the basketball game (or reverse depending on schedule).