collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A reason to root for Bucky football  (Read 9852 times)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
A reason to root for Bucky football
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:18 AM »
I know I'm in the minority in that I have been rooting for Badger football my whole life. MU fans might want to root for the UW football team to make the Big Ten championship game this year because it's on the same day as the MU-UW basketball game in Madison. A ton of students, alum would be headed to Indianapolis and I would imagine bball tickets would be plentiful. Have paid $200/ticket a few years back in Madison, this would be a welcome change.

GGGG

• All American
Re: A reason to root for Bucky football
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »
It's a non-conference game.  No bearing at all on whether or not they make it to Indy.  Unless there is some obscure rule regarding a three way tie for the division that includes non-conference games.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:58:42 AM »
Big upside for MU fans if Bucky makes the Big Televen 12 Championship.  Go Bucky.....

Growing up in Wisconsin, I have always been a UW Football fan.  Badger football games are huge fun..

Can you tell a MU alum growing up in Illinois that they can't be an Illini football fan?  We played Illinois a couple of times when I was in school.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 11:07:29 AM by ringout »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
Big upside for MU fans if Bucky makes the Big Televen 12 Championship.  Go Bucky.....

Growing up in Wisconsin, I have always been a UW Football fan.  Badger football games are huge fun..

Can you tell a MU alum growing up in Illinois that they can't be an Illini football fan?  We played Illinois a couple of times when I was in school.

I understand what you are saying, but that is a terrible analogy. Marquette and Illinois are in no way rivals.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:37:55 AM »
Same thing with Notre Dame. I knew plenty of people at MU who root for their football team, but cant stand anything else about them. I actually don't mind their football team becuase growing up my grandpa had season tickets, but I would rather die than cheer for their basketball team or like them as an institution.
Bring back FFP!!!

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
It's a non-conference game.  No bearing at all on whether or not they make it to Indy.  Unless there is some obscure rule regarding a three way tie for the division that includes non-conference games.
?? I'm not talking about tonight's game. I'm talking about their season.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I understand what you are saying, but that is a terrible analogy. Marquette and Illinois are in no way rivals.
It is a stretch as an analogy, but terrible???? Really.

If we played ILL there would be a lot of woofin goin on in Chicago.  

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
It is a stretch as an analogy, but terrible???? Really.

If we played ILL there would be a lot of woofin goin on in Chicago.  

Just because there would be some smack talk, doesn't make them a rival. We haven't even played them since 1993.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/illinois

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
ESPN SFTC has a "Will Wisconsin win by 40+ points" prop today. Is UW really favored by 39.5 points in this one? Isn't UNLV half way decent?  Any badger faithful have a scoop on this game?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »
The only reason to root for UW is if they are playing ND  :)

ESPN SFTC has a "Will Wisconsin win by 40+ points" prop today. Is UW really favored by 39.5 points in this one? Isn't UNLV half way decent?  Any badger faithful have a scoop on this game?

The line right now is 35.5.  Thats pretty intense.  UNLV was 2-11 last year and I feel like Bielema and the Badgers have alot to prove this year.  Being at home, the O/U on total points is 56 and thats kind of intriguing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 12:51:48 PM »
The only Badger I'll be cheering for this season is Gabe Carimi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 01:08:54 PM »
UNLV had a bad record last year...but...

Wisconsin generally starts slow.  And UNLV's coach is in his second year, and he is a pretty good coach.  He was at Montana for years and won a bunch of games, and had to pretty much make over UNLV to fit what he wants.

Don't get me wrong...UW will win this game...but I seriously doubt they will cover.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Based on Bucky's usual slow start and that UNLV should perform adequately based on coaching quality, take the under.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »
Are you guys serious?  (I realize the game has started already)

There is no way I take the under in this game.

Bielma never takes his foot off the gas.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »
Aaaaaaaaand they covered and its only the 3rd quarter.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:36:50 PM »
Do people really think the Badgers being in the Big Tenwelve Title game for football on the same day as the MU vs. UW game is going to affect the game at all?  Sure, maybe some UW fans with tickets choose to go to Indianapolis or stay home and watch both sporting events, but they're going to sell their tickets to other UW fans who will go to the MU vs. UW game.  It's not like the Kohl Center is going to be empty because UW football is in the Big Tenwelve Title game.  I know football comes first there, but the Kohl Center will still be packed regardless of whether the football team is playing a big game or not.  I say let's go whoever is playing UW in any sport, even Notre Dame.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
Aaaaaaaaand they covered and its only the 3rd quarter.

Aaaaaaaaaand that's why they play the 4th.   51 -17.  ;D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaand that's why they play the 4th.   51 -17.  ;D

Obliterated the O/U at 56, booyah

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »
Do people really think the Badgers being in the Big Tenwelve Title game for football on the same day as the MU vs. UW game is going to affect the game at all?  Sure, maybe some UW fans with tickets choose to go to Indianapolis or stay home and watch both sporting events, but they're going to sell their tickets to other UW fans who will go to the MU vs. UW game.  It's not like the Kohl Center is going to be empty because UW football is in the Big Tenwelve Title game.  I know football comes first there, but the Kohl Center will still be packed regardless of whether the football team is playing a big game or not.  I say let's go whoever is playing UW in any sport, even Notre Dame.

You had me agreeing until the last sentence.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
Do people really think the Badgers being in the Big Tenwelve Title game for football on the same day as the MU vs. UW game is going to affect the game at all?
Yes. I think the ticket situation would be much better. I've scalped tickets for the Kohl Center game the last 4 times.

Here's my reasoning. For a majority of Badger fans, Marquette isn't even on their radar. Sure, they want to beat us, but they don't think of this as a major rivalry. It's just another out of conference game, similar to a ACC/Big Ten Challenge game. Definitely more high-profile than say a UW - UWGB game, but not much more than people here would think. I would say they look at it much the same way we think of UWM. They want to beat a Big East team to help their schedule, but they could care less if it's MU, Louisville, GT, Cincy, etc. Yes, there are exceptions, but most don't really care at all about MU. I think it's the exact opposite with MU fans. Many think of this as THE game of the season, if not one of the top games of the season. Most Badger fans I know root for Marquette other than during this game. We think of it as a big rivalry, they don't.

If the Badgers were to get to the Big Ten Championship, they will be all about football, not early season basketball. Since their students and alum (ie. ticketholders) travel well (and for the most part don't think of this as a major game anyway), I think this really softens the ticket market. I remember in 2007 when we beat them and I could only see a handful of MU fans throughout the arena (other than the MU parent section, maybe 50 people in the lower bowl). If they are in the B10 Championship, I think this changes. I'm not saying there will be free tickets, I just think the market will be flooded with more tickets than ever before for this game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
I would say that is true for Badger fans once you leave the half hour to hour radius of Milwaukee.  In Milwaukee I think the rivalry is strong both ways largely because you are fighting for coverage in the state's biggest city where Marquette often takes a backseat in their own town.  Badger fans in Milwaukee definitely view it as a big rivalry no matter how you want to put it.  Now in Stevens Point or La Crosse?  No, Badger fans there probably don't give a damn.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
If the Badgers were to get to the Big Ten Championship, they will be all about football, not early season basketball. Since their students and alum (ie. ticketholders) travel well (and for the most part don't think of this as a major game anyway), I think this really softens the ticket market. I remember in 2007 when we beat them and I could only see a handful of MU fans throughout the arena (other than the MU parent section, maybe 50 people in the lower bowl). If they are in the B10 Championship, I think this changes. I'm not saying there will be free tickets, I just think the market will be flooded with more tickets than ever before for this game.

+1.

UW Football + Inaugural Big Tenweleventeen Championship + five hour drive = 30,000+ Badger fans making the trek to Indy.

That's at least 30,000 MBB ticket-holders or potential secondary ticket market buyers removed from the pool of possible MU-UW attendees.  I would say that will have a significant effect on secondary market prices & availability.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 01:06:11 PM »
+1.

UW Football + Inaugural Big Tenweleventeen Championship + five hour drive = 30,000+ Badger fans making the trek to Indy.

That's at least 30,000 MBB ticket-holders or potential secondary ticket market buyers removed from the pool of possible MU-UW attendees.  I would say that will have a significant effect on secondary market prices & availability.

You do realize how many people in the state of WI are Bucky fans, don't you?

30,000 is a drop in Lake Mendota.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
You do realize how many people in the state of WI are Bucky fans, don't you?

30,000 is a drop in Lake Mendota.
I took it as 30,000 Bucky fans who would potentially go the the MU-UW bball game, not total fans.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
I took it as 30,000 Bucky fans who would potentially go the the MU-UW bball game, not total fans.

I understand that, but my point is that there are thousands to take their place.