'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jarvis Johnson not cleared to play for Gophers  (Read 9649 times)

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
Jarvis Johnson not cleared to play for Gophers
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
Sacar's former teammate and a top MN recruit, Jarvis Johnson, won't be playing for the Gophers this year b/c of a heart condition that has been known about for 5 years. Very sad and interesting turn of events for Jarvis. Wonder if he'll quit MN and go find a program that will let him play.

http://www.startribune.com/jarvis-johnson-surprised-by-gophers-decision-family-says/307718311/

LAMUfan

• All American
Re: Jarvis Johnson not cleared to play for Gophers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
that is pretty crappy of the school, what a cluster

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
We did something like that to McMorrow.  It happens. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »
that is pretty crappy of the school, what a cluster

Not really.
I feel for the kid, but if doctors won't clear him to play, the school has little choice here.
The alternative is to let the kid play, risk a Hank Gathers/Rashidi Wheeler situation and then get sued for millions for putting the kid's life in jeopardy.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
Allowing a guy to play when he has a known heart condition, has collapsed while playing basketball in the past, and apparently did not pass University administered tests, would be extremely risky and possibly qualify as gross negligence if anything happened.  It's an unfortunate situation for everyone involved, but pretty hard to fault the school for doing what they felt they had to.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:59:35 PM »
Allowing a guy to play when he has a known heart condition, has collapsed while playing basketball in the past, and apparently did not pass University administered tests, would be extremely risky and possibly qualify as gross negligence if anything happened.  It's an unfortunate situation for everyone involved, but pretty hard to fault the school for doing what they felt they had to.

They could have NOT offered a scholarship to him.  Not like they found out a couple weeks ago that he had it.  If they DID find out a couple of weeks ago, then someone didn't do their job.  I agree it's a risk to take Johnson, but sounds like they knew what they were getting themselves into.  Just a terrible situation for that kid. 

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 04:33:35 PM »
They could have NOT offered a scholarship to him.  Not like they found out a couple weeks ago that he had it.  If they DID find out a couple of weeks ago, then someone didn't do their job.  I agree it's a risk to take Johnson, but sounds like they knew what they were getting themselves into.  Just a terrible situation for that kid. 

It's fair to say that the University could have analyzed the risk better up front to avoid this situation, but that would have been unusual.  My guess is that they were aware of the situation but thought it could be managed given that he was playing in high school.  But they wouldn't have known exactly what his condition was until they did their own physical on him, which is a pre-requisite for every collegiate athlete and would typically be done after he was committed and enrolled in the school.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 05:34:48 PM »
It's fair to say that the University could have analyzed the risk better up front to avoid this situation, but that would have been unusual.  My guess is that they were aware of the situation but thought it could be managed given that he was playing in high school.  But they wouldn't have known exactly what his condition was until they did their own physical on him, which is a pre-requisite for every collegiate athlete and would typically be done after he was committed and enrolled in the school.

The POTENTIAL issue here is that the family, per media reports, seems to be indicating tests had been done for weeks in the past and no indications of heightened concern or issues had been brought up until 6/8. All quiet.. lots of tests.. time passes.. then boom. Need clarification on this before forming a conclusion...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »
Dude has an implanted defibrillator from 2011 right? I mean u could hug him and figure that out.  They shouldn't of offered him a scholarship.  They probably never ran it by any of there medical staff until recently.  That was a mistake on the coaches/ school

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
Interesting enough, Minnesota has another freshman PG signed, so I guess that they covered their tracks butt.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 12:43:09 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
A feel good story that doesn't feel so good now.
SS Marquette

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 02:41:13 PM »
Dude has an implanted defibrillator from 2011 right? I mean u could hug him and figure that out.  They shouldn't of offered him a scholarship.  They probably never ran it by any of there medical staff until recently.  That was a mistake on the coaches/ school

So what you're saying is the junior Pitino might not be as touchy feely as his pops?
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 03:17:10 PM »
ha, I guess that is the case  :o

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 02:07:46 AM »
We did something like that to McMorrow.  It happens. 

But Liam wasn't diagnosed until after he arrived at MU.  It sounds like UM knew of the condition yet "tied him up" any way.

Why can't he simply sign a waiver saying that after consulting with his personal and team physicians, he understands the risk and won't hold the school liable if he suffers harm or death due to his condition?

You'd think Minnesota, of all places, would have enough experts on a health matter to make an informed decision before offering a scholarship.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »

You'd think Minnesota, of all places, would have enough experts on a health matter

I thought that was Indiana?

Death on call

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 07:38:25 AM »
But Liam wasn't diagnosed until after he arrived at MU.  It sounds like UM knew of the condition yet "tied him up" any way.

Why can't he simply sign a waiver saying that after consulting with his personal and team physicians, he understands the risk and won't hold the school liable if he suffers harm or death due to his condition?

You'd think Minnesota, of all places, would have enough experts on a health matter to make an informed decision before offering a scholarship.
The article said he picked Minnesota over MU and UW among others. So it seems that we were willing to sign him.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
I thought that was Indiana?

I should have said qualified experts.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
The article said he picked Minnesota over MU and UW among others. So it seems that we were willing to sign him.

That's what the article says. Need to consider the author and not accept it as truth simply because it's in print.  ;)

But yes, MU certainly was involved. Jarvis has been competing at a high level w/o issue for years.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
The POTENTIAL issue here is that the family, per media reports, seems to be indicating tests had been done for weeks in the past and no indications of heightened concern or issues had been brought up until 6/8. All quiet.. lots of tests.. time passes.. then boom. Need clarification on this before forming a conclusion...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13241025

Your hometown boy is a smart man when it comes to his NFL team/player of choice.  You could learn a thing or 12 from him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
Not really.
I feel for the kid, but if doctors won't clear him to play, the school has little choice here.
The alternative is to let the kid play, risk a Hank Gathers/Rashidi Wheeler situation and then get sued for millions for putting the kid's life in jeopardy.

Man, I completely forgot about Wheeler. That was such a sad day for NU football fans. They were just coming off a Big 10 championship where he started every game for that team. Sad day.