[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lacy continues to receive recruiting attention from Marquette  (Read 2542 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?fid=9&nid=14817

5/2/2008 - Wisconsin Sports Network

By Mark Miller
Wishoops.net Editor

As those who have watched him in the past can attest, when Johnnie Lacy of Milwaukee Bay View is on his game, it is a sight to behold.

More than capable of going off for 30 or more points on any given night, Lacy uses his superior quickness and uncanny shot-making ability to baffle opponents.

That was certainly the case last Saturday at the King James Shooting Stars Classic in Akron, Ohio. Lacy popped in a reported 36 points for the Playground Elite 17U squad in a 72-65 Sweet 16 loss to the highly respected Illinois Rising Stars, who would go on to finish second in the prestigious travel-team tournament.

National recruiting experts Dave Telep of Scout.com and James Mulcahy of HoopsReport.com raved about Lacy’s performance as the 5-foot-10 point guard made one difficult shot after another.

Currently ranked No. 3 among state prospects in the class of 2009 by Wishoops.net, Lacy is a prolific scoring point guard who is very difficult to contain because of his outstanding ball handling skills and unquestioned quickness. Add those qualities to his impressive ability to put the ball in the basket and it’s easy to comprehend how Lacy can be so impressive at times.

As for his collegiate options, Bay View coach Lou Chapman said Friday Marquette remains the school in front of the pack, though he stressed Lacy remains “open” in terms of where he’ll eventually play college basketball.

“Like all kids, I think Johnnie will look for the best situation that fits him,” Chapman said. “He’ll look for the best situation … wherever that might be. Right now, things are at a bit of a standstill.

“I did have the chance to meet with (new Marquette coach) Buzz Williams and I talked with him about Johnnie. Marquette will still recruit Johnnie, but they just want to make sure he takes care of his classroom business.”

Lacy’s ability to meet NCAA academic requirements for freshmen eligibility remains a bit fuzzy, though Chapman says the first-team all-Milwaukee City Conference performer is fully aware of what he needs to do in order to qualify.

“It’s a process he has to follow and he has to stay with that process,” said Chapman, who recently concluded his first season as the Redcats’ head coach.

Duane Wilson of the Playground Elite program said in addition to Marquette, Minnesota, Purdue and Tennessee are showing interest in Lacy.

"Johnnie ran the point very well at the King James Tournament," Wilson said. "He got people the ball. He showed he could run the point by getting his teammates the ball."

Lacy averaged 21.7 points per game as Bay View finished 8-13 with an extremely young squad last season. Among the highlights for Lacy last season were a 47-point outing in an 87-86 loss to Milwaukee North Division and a 39-point outburst in a victory over Milwaukee Marshall.

However, Lacy also had a few games where he struggled offensively, scoring just seven points in a loss to Milwaukee King and 10 in a lopsided loss to Milwaukee Vincent.

A former collegiate basketball player at NCAA Division III powerhouse UW-Whitewater, Chapman believes Lacy needs to become a more consistent performer on both ends of the court and develop into a pass-first point guard in order to achieve success at the next level.

“Johnnie needs to become more of a pure point guard … a point guard who passes first and scores second,” Chapman said. “At the next level, that is what he’ll be asked to do. But he is also a point guard who can score.”

Indeed, Lacy can be a dynamic offensive performer, as the Illinois Rising Stars with their potent lineup of Jack Cooley, Nik Garcia, Marcus Jordan and Jereme Richmond saw up close and personal last weekend.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: Lacy continues to receive recruiting attention from Marquette
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:22:41 AM »
Sounds a bit like DJ in some ways...especially the part about needing to develop into a pass-first PG, which DJ has improved on.

Also, they're physically identical according to Rivals, and I know to take that with a grain of salt...but according to Rival's Lacy profile and James' 2004 profile, they're both listed at 5'10" 165lbs...and this article mentioned Lacy's also got awesome athleticism.

It sounds like Lacy has a better shot than James, though, which is awesome if we could land him.

It's a stretch, but man...

Lacy and Wilson in addition to E. Wiliams?!  And if we bank our available scholarship and land another big...

GREAT SUCCESS! 

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 07:20:56 AM »
MUMo---Great point on getting Wilson and Lacy. A stretch? If they were both from Memphis or LA it would be a stretch....they live in our area code. In my opinion getting these two guys is as big a recruiting statement made by MU since KO's 1st big one with the local kids. These two plus Maymon is better class than Mac, Damon and Robb. Bigger impact and national attention.

I realize this is some presssure for Buzz, but he is the head frickin coach. Huggins or Pitinio would get all three if they were local kids. Before anyone says that Buzz is not Huggins or Pitinio...remember that is who he is coaching against at least three times a year. I have said it before there should be no excuses, just results. He is the head coach and honeymoon is over. Recruit studs or lose.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
sounds like Buzz better employ Damon Key, Trevor Powell, Robert Jackson and Tony Smith to make this happen.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »
MUMo---Great point on getting Wilson and Lacy. A stretch? If they were both from Memphis or LA it would be a stretch....they live in our area code. In my opinion getting these two guys is as big a recruiting statement made by MU since KO's 1st big one with the local kids. These two plus Maymon is better class than Mac, Damon and Robb. Bigger impact and national attention.

I realize this is some presssure for Buzz, but he is the head frickin coach. Huggins or Pitinio would get all three if they were local kids. Before anyone says that Buzz is not Huggins or Pitinio...remember that is who he is coaching against at least three times a year. I have said it before there should be no excuses, just results. He is the head coach and honeymoon is over. Recruit studs or lose.

I like that.  Recruit studs or lose.

And I only called it a stretch because obviously nothing is a done deal and these guys get a lot of attention, but I agree that it's Buzz' job to go out and get these guys.

Go get 'em, coach!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 10:28:26 AM »
Huggins or Pitinio would get all three if they were local kids. Before anyone says that Buzz is not Huggins or Pitinio...remember that is who he is coaching against at least three times a year. I have said it before there should be no excuses, just results. He is the head coach and honeymoon is over. Recruit studs or lose.

Huggins and Pitino weren't Huggins and Pitino in their first year of serious D1 ball.  TC wasn't Huggins and Pitino in his 9th year.  I just hope Buzz Williams can compete with Huggins/Pitino while being Buzz Williams.

From reading the interviews does anyone get the feeling that Lacy is REAL close to a verbal with MU, but MU is waiting to see what he does in the classroom.  It just sounds like if he gets his grades in order he'll be at MU.  Or is Buzz using that to buy himself some time to find a better point guard???
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:30:34 AM by avid1010 »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
Avid---- I agree is tough for Buzz in 1st year to get this done. But, I was not the one doing the hiring. With the recruiting class sitting in SE WI Buzz has to act like 9th year coach. BE coaches CANNOT learn on the job. I have confidence that Buzz can get the job done.

RECRUIT STUDS!!!!!!!!

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
Sign him up Buzz!

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 09:09:13 AM »
I think with the prospect of huge pt on a good team in his hometown that gets to play in the BE, Lacy figures out a way to pass history.