'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 01:45:25 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Comcast Sports Chicago Profile of Jimmy Butler  (Read 4725 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Comcast Sports Chicago Profile of Jimmy Butler
« on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
They ran this after the game 7 Brooklyn win last night.

http://www.csnchicago.com/video_content_type/jimmy-butler-long-winding-road-0

Incidentally - Jimmy played all 48 minutes of games 6 and 7.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Comcast Sports Chicago Profile of Jimmy Butler
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
Per Elias Sports Bureau, Jimmy was the first player in the last 40 years to play the entire game in both games 6 and 7 of a playoff series. Given the fact that it looks like Jimmy exerts more effort than any other player I've seen when he is on the floor, that's pretty impressive. As a person and a player, there could not be a better representative of Marquette University and Buzz Williams basketball than Jimmy Butler.

Also, CSN used the old MU logo next to Buzz's name around the 4:25 mark...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »
Per Elias Sports Bureau, Jimmy was the first player in the last 40 years to play the entire game in both games 6 and 7 of a playoff series. Given the fact that it looks like Jimmy exerts more effort than any other player I've seen when he is on the floor, that's pretty impressive. As a person and a player, there could not be a better representative of Marquette University and Buzz Williams basketball than Jimmy Butler.

Also, CSN used the old MU logo next to Buzz's name around the 4:25 mark...

I love Jimmy and all, probably my favorite MU player in a couple decades or more, but that Noah guy seems to try kind of hard also.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »
I love Jimmy and all, probably my favorite MU player in a couple decades or more, but that Noah guy seems to try kind of hard also.

+1

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
So if Jimmy would have transferred when things got tough his first year he would have been "Buzzcut" right?

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Ah yeah, Joakim Noah... As a Bulls fan, I feel a little stupid now. The point remains the same though. Jimmy never gives up on a play (rare in the NBA) and exerts maximum effort on the defensive end (also rare). That makes it even more impressive that he played 96 minutes over the last 2 games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

True. Beating the Nets (Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, etc) with what the Bulls had available was a minor miracle. Their effort (led by Noah with a big assist to JFB) was off the charts.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
JFB looked a little gassed in the second half, but can't blame him after chasing Joe Johnson and Deron Williams all over the court for two straight games. He's making a nice name for himself and will really cash in at the end of this contract.  Glad to see the Bulls won.

This was a nice profile (though we could probably due with fewer stories of Buzz telling potential recruits they "suck" when they first meet), but it was brutal having to watch Comcast replay all the post-game interviews before they got around to running it. Probably lost a lot of audience by then.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
Jimmy's making about a million this year and a million next. Then he has a team option for about 2 million in 14-15 before becoming a free agent. Ronnie Brewer is still a good comparison and he earned about 4 million a year on his first deal after his rookie contract.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
He gives the effort, but you'd think you see better numbers over 48 mins. Would he get this same opportunity on any other team?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »
He gives the effort, but you'd think you see better numbers over 48 mins. Would he get this same opportunity on any other team?

Yes ... look at the shooting numbers of Williams and Johnson when he covers them.

And by "same opportunity," do you mean 48 minutes in back-to-back games?  Since no one has done this in over 40 years (see the second post above) ... no.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:57:19 PM by AnotherMU84 »

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »
You're asking about the guy who averaged 15.9 points, 7.4 rebounds (3.1 offensive), 2.6 assists, and 1.4 steals per 48 minutes, shot 47%, 38% from 3, and 80% at the line, and makes all the hustle plays that don't show up in the box score, right?

In that case, yes, he would/should get big minutes anywhere. Playing every minute of back-to-back games? Of course not.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 09:51:12 AM »
Yes ... look at the shooting numbers of Williams and Johnson when he covers them.

From the ESPN Research Notes on the game story

Jimmy Butler played the entire game and was stellar defensively - holding Deron Williams to 4-of-11 FG and Joe Johnson to 0-of-5 FG when they were matched up. This was his second straight game playing the entire 48 minutes in the series.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
From the ESPN Research Notes on the game story

Jimmy Butler played the entire game and was stellar defensively - holding Deron Williams to 4-of-11 FG and Joe Johnson to 0-of-5 FG when they were matched up. This was his second straight game playing the entire 48 minutes in the series.

Considering Williams and Johnson are scoring machines, to hold them collectively to 4 for 16 is just superb.  That like erasing 10 to 15 points off the scoreboard (maybe more if they were scoring at will as they would have had more shots).  Maybe we should add that to his 9 points in game 7.

So if Jimmy played average D and scored between 19 and 24 points would you have considered him a bigger success?  If he played no D like Nate Robinson and score 24, would the bulls have won?  I say no.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
You're asking about the guy who averaged 15.9 points, 7.4 rebounds (3.1 offensive), 2.6 assists, and 1.4 steals per 48 minutes, shot 47%, 38% from 3, and 80% at the line, and makes all the hustle plays that don't show up in the box score, right?

In that case, yes, he would/should get big minutes anywhere. Playing every minute of back-to-back games? Of course not.

He will likely not be an all-star, but barring injury, JFB will be in the league a long time and will make a lot of money.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
Jimmy is a huge upgrade from the Bogans/Brewer/Old Rip era.  If he can consistently knock down 3s next year when the Bulls are at full strength, the Bulls will have a legitimate chance against the Heat.