[Today at 01:13:53 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbakwe's college career is over  (Read 2266 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Mbakwe's college career is over
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=7404940

Minnesota star Trevor Mbakwe has had reconstructive surgery on his injured right knee.

Coach Tubby Smith said Friday's procedure went "very well" for the senior forward, whose college career ended early when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament during Minnesota's loss to Dayton on Nov. 27.

The Gophers won their first six games to finish their nonconference schedule after Mbakwe was hurt, but they lost their Big Ten opener Tuesday night at Illinois in double overtime. Minnesota plays at Michigan Sunday afternoon.

Mbakwe led the team with 14 points and 9.1 rebounds per game before he went down. He was picked for the preseason All-Big Ten first team.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Mbakwe's college career is over
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
Cant he apply for a sixth year?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
Maybe, but on what basis should they award it to him? He used his redshirt year for legal troubles. Missed most of two other years for injuries. Otule missed most of three years due to injuries. Has had no legal trouble I know of. In addition to that he has only one eye and therefore you can argue he is handicapped. There has to be a good reason for a 6th year to be granted. The way I see it if Embakwe gets a 6th year Otule gets one for sure, but I do not see it the other way around. I would like Otule to get a 6th year, but given he has gotten seriously injurred in 3 out of 4 years the extra year might not mean much anyway.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
The reason you use your redshirt (for transfer, injury or legal issues) is irrelevant to the decision...so is the fact that Otule is blind in one eye.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »
Mbakwe wouldn't take anolther year even if he could get it. He will earn money somewhere starting next year.

Basketball players have a limited earnings window.......He turns 23 in a month.....

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 10:42:35 PM »
The reason you use your redshirt (for transfer, injury or legal issues) is irrelevant to the decision...

Sultan, I maybe missing what you were trying to correct with the above statement, but thought I'd point out that the reason for a "redshirt" is relevant in many cases.

To get the sixth year, a student-athlete needs to prove he/she had at least two seasons where participation was prevented by factors beyond his/her control.

The NCAA has guidelines on what is considered within the SA's control. Injury is not. Choosing to transfer is. Not sure where the "legal issues" would fall.

(But you probably already know that and are responding to something else, in which case, ignore this).

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:50:47 PM »
Sultan, I maybe missing what you were trying to correct with the above statement, but thought I'd point out that the reason for a "redshirt" is relevant in many cases.

To get the sixth year, a student-athlete needs to prove he/she had at least two seasons where participation was prevented by factors beyond his/her control.

The NCAA has guidelines on what is considered within the SA's control. Injury is not. Choosing to transfer is. Not sure where the "legal issues" would fall.

(But you probably already know that and are responding to something else, in which case, ignore this).
You are correct.  As far a legal issues, they fall within the guidelines to use a redshirt (for that purpose) and still have the ability to receive a Medical Hardship.

I thought there was also some qualification about academic progress.  Not sure the specifics, though.

feedback