'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Poll:  Should Buzz Sign Another Player for the 2010 Class (meaning someone has to go)?

Yes
79 (59%)
No
55 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author Topic: Poll: Should Buzz Sign Another Player for the 2010 Class?  (Read 6476 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Poll: Should Buzz Sign Another Player for the 2010 Class?
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
I voted no.  

The two bottom guys are Ewill and Mbao.  Ewill was a top 100 guy.  Dumping him for another top 100 guy creates bad feelings in the locker room because it is not an obvious upgrade.  

Mbao is the tallest guy in the BE.  All we need is defense and rebounding.  Points can be garbage points.  It's too early to give up on that potential.

If someone is leaving, or a recruit is not qualifying, that changes the equation.

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Poll: Should Buzz Sign Another Player for the 2010 Class?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »
You dont know anything about what is going on with the team. If Buzz thinks he should sign another player, he will.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
You dont know anything about what is going on with the team. If Buzz thinks he should sign another player, he will.

If an opinion doesn't come from Buzz, it is uninformed. So, let's shut down this board because their is no reason to ever offer an opinion.  We'll just wait for Buzz to tell us what to think.  

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
Coach gets paid to win or he gets fired and called a bum.....

With that at stake I give the coach the leeway to construct his roster as he sees fit, regardless if a kid or two are not asked back.  

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
The more talent Buzz can stockpile, the better.

Ex.  PC's  last recruiting class-  7 incoming, 4 leaving, 1 red shirt, only 1 (Council) really contributed.  If a spot  is open, Buzz will fill it with a quality prospect or bank it.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:05:45 PM »
 If Buzz does sign another player its because he doesn't like what he is seeing out of a player currently on the squad, I don't want it to happen. I really think that the guys that are coming in next year know that they are going to be competing for minutes, and it is nice to see the incoming freshman coming in ASAP to workout and get ready for next season.
 EWill could be leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year, and we don't know how Mbao has progressed, I will leave that to Buzz. We will understand Buzz' decision to get another player or not ...because he doesn't leave much up to the imagination of why things happen the way they do.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
If Buzz does sign another player its because he doesn't like what he is seeing out of a player currently on the squad, I don't want it to happen.

What a dumb comment. That is the ONLY reason he would sign another player?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:12:46 PM »
 My bad, probably. So if Buzz signs another 2010 kid are you rooting for a player on Marquette's team to get the boot if someone is not transferring?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »
My bad, probably. So if Buzz signs another 2010 kid are you rooting for a player on Marquette's team to get the boot if someone is not transferring?

What about an incoming player not qualifying and going to JUCO or Prep School?

Again, hes recruiting for a reason, either

1) He knows there will be a scholarship open

or

2) He thinks a scholarship could open up...but nothing has been decided/determined yet. Thus he must recruit every day in order to be prepared in case it happens.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:19:31 PM by GOMU1104 »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
Buzz knows stuff we don't know.  If he is recruiting, there must be a reason.  So, that's the end of my thinking about this :)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »

Someone transferring often is someone getting the boot.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
What's the point?

Buzz is gonna do what's best in his mind for the team.

We know he wants balance among the achollies in the classes.
I trust you Buzz!

Well, except for that Roseboro episode. ;)
SS Marquette

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06:45 PM »
Someone transferring often is someone getting the boot.

Not sure... how about Trevor? Rivers? Jordan Crawford? Maymon? Rosario?
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
If someone is leaving, or a recruit is not qualifying, that changes the equation.

Then why would you vote no?  Do you know if this isn't the case?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »

Maymon probably so, the others probably not.

But please notice my use of the word "often" as opposed to "always".

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:12:58 AM »
Maybe the reason he was still recruiting is because of the late offers for Crowder. Maybe he was trying to guard against losing one of the recruits we expected to sign. Does anyone actually know if he has been actively recruiting in the past 24 hours? If not, then recruiting before the signing period opened is kind of meaningless.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »
don't you guys know that speculation, rumor and/or innuendo is not allowed on this board?  This is the internet for god sakes; facts only, people!  plus basketball players read this, and we might hurt their feelings. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
Trevor and Crawford were both going through coaching changes, so that's a bit different.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »
don't you guys know that speculation, rumor and/or innuendo is not allowed on this board?  This is the internet for god sakes; facts only, people!  plus basketball players read this, and we might hurt their feelings. 

Let me repeat what I said on another thread.  Anyone speculated that they will not be asked to return should walk into Buzz's office and ask him.  I'm sure they did weeks ago and they know the real story.  Therefore, our speculation should have no bearing on them.  In other words, their feelings are fine.

And to repeat, none of the names thrown out in recent week seem like a real upgrade.  I would say keep what we have.  The possible exception is Cothron and in his case, I'm not sold he's and grade over Ewill and/or Mbao (think of where everyone will be in two to three years).

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
dang it.  i thought it was obvious i was being sarcastic.

to stay on topic though, i do think we sign another kid. but i really don't want E-will to go anywhere.  once he puts on some muscle, he will be the PF everyone is wanting, and more.  still think it will be mbao that leaves. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:18:24 AM by dwaderoy2004 »

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
"The two bottom guys are Ewill and Mbao.  Ewill was a top 100 guy.  Dumping him for another top 100 guy creates bad feelings in the locker room because it is not an obvious upgrade."

EWill at the bottom?  In regards to what?  If you mean regarding to last year's squad of healthy players, I'll give it to ya, but it's absolutely ridiculous to say he is the worst for the '10-'11 team.  With 5 new players joining the squad with exactly ZERO Big East practice/game time, I automatically put EWill ahead of them.  I understand he didn't live up to the hype that he had coming in, but IMO he improved and gained confidence with each 5 minute game stint that he put under his belt once Big East play got under way.  I project him surprising all of us with how much he improved when games begin again in November.  He has the size/length and athleticism to be a solid PF for the next 3 years.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:36:21 PM by OhioGoldenEagle »

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
"The two bottom guys are Ewill and Mbao.  Ewill was a top 100 guy.  Dumping him for another top 100 guy creates bad feelings in the locker room because it is not an obvious upgrade."

EWill at the bottom?  In regards to what?  If you mean regarding to last year's squad of healthy players, I'll give it to ya, but it's absolutely ridiculous to say he is the worst for the '10-'11 team.  With new 5 players joining the squad with exactly ZERO Big East practice/game time, I automatically put EWill ahead of them.  I understand he didn't live up to the hype that he had coming in, but IMO he improved and gained confidence with each 5 minute game stint that he put under his belt once Big East play got under way.  I project him surprising all of us with how much he improved when games begin again in April.  He has the size/length and athleticism to be a solid PF for the next 3 years.

Yep!

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
"The two bottom guys are Ewill and Mbao.  Ewill was a top 100 guy.  Dumping him for another top 100 guy creates bad feelings in the locker room because it is not an obvious upgrade."

EWill at the bottom?  In regards to what?  If you mean regarding to last year's squad of healthy players, I'll give it to ya, but it's absolutely ridiculous to say he is the worst for the '10-'11 team.  With 5 new players joining the squad with exactly ZERO Big East practice/game time, I automatically put EWill ahead of them.  I understand he didn't live up to the hype that he had coming in, but IMO he improved and gained confidence with each 5 minute game stint that he put under his belt once Big East play got under way.  I project him surprising all of us with how much he improved when games begin again in November.  He has the size/length and athleticism to be a solid PF for the next 3 years.

It's simple math. 

1. Buzz is still recruiting
2. Mbao says he staying

So, if Buzz wants another player AND NO ONE IS LEAVING ON THEIR OWN, who would be on the short end.  Answer Ewill.  Who else would you kick off (remember Mbao is not leaving)?

And to repeat again. I completely agree with you that none of the names being thrown around see like an upgrade.  They are all as highly thought of as Ewill.  They could all struggle as much as he has.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
Frozen A is likely to declare for NBA draft and hire an agent.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »
Frozen A is likely to declare for NBA draft and hire an agent.

He's also not taking up a schollie.