[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2013 NHL Thread  (Read 79989 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: 2013 NHL Thread
« Reply #350 on: June 24, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
I'm still stunned at the rapid turnaround of this game. I am going to miss a seventh game as this series was spectacular.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #351 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:38 PM »
reinko, the Parade is on Friday if you want to come down.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 24, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
Tears of joy. I am so happy and proud of this team.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Anyone in wrigleyville tonight?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:38 PM »
Almost as good as a Marquette club hockey win over St. Norbert's!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2013, 12:01:44 AM »
Congrats Blackhawks and fans!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2013, 07:12:04 AM »
reinko, the Parade is on Friday if you want to come down.

I'm good. 

Congrats Hawks fans.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
What a game, Boston was a good team and the Hawks pulled it out.  Whens the parade, Friday?
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:55 AM »
Bruins goalie must of had a major brain fart to allow 2 goals 17 seconds apart.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #360 on: June 25, 2013, 08:49:45 AM »
The action was just too intense at the end for a very good goalie. Bruins couldn't clear the puck from in front of the net.
Great Series from both sides

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #361 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »
The first goal was not the goalie's fault one bit.  The defense couldn't get the puck out.  You could make a case on the second one.

BTW, I'm not a hockey expert by any means, but Chara did not impress me one bit.  Physically imposing, but the Hawks were skating circles around him as the series went on.  I know he was on the ice for the first goal...not sure about the second.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #362 on: June 25, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
The first goal was not the goalie's fault one bit.  The defense couldn't get the puck out.  You could make a case on the second one.

BTW, I'm not a hockey expert by any means, but Chara did not impress me one bit.  Physically imposing, but the Hawks were skating circles around him as the series went on.  I know he was on the ice for the first goal...not sure about the second.

Chara was on the ice for the majority of the Hawks goals.

Chara is a great player, but he looked out of gas after Game 2. There was a complete change in strategy and the Hawks were going after him.

Big imposing player, would love him on my team.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #363 on: June 25, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
Hard to believe, in a Game 6 clincher, seeing both team pull their goalies in the final minute and a half (practically unheard of), just an incredible finish to an outstanding series, and really fantastic playoffs.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #364 on: June 25, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »
Hard to believe, in a Game 6 clincher, seeing both team pull their goalies in the final minute and a half (practically unheard of), just an incredible finish to an outstanding series, and really fantastic playoffs.

Great point. Wonder the last time that happened.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #365 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Hawks were lucky to win this series right B's fans??

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #366 on: June 25, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Congrats to the Hawks and their fans.  Hawks deserved the victory!

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 25, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
Phenomenal playoffs this year, and the best team is holding the cup at the end.

I'm disappointed that my Wings couldn't pull out game seven against the Hawks, but I can't complain about the product the NHL put out this year.

Enjoy Hawks fans!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #368 on: June 25, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
Phenomenal playoffs this year, and the best team is holding the cup at the end.

I'm disappointed that my Wings couldn't pull out game seven against the Hawks, but I can't complain about the product the NHL put out this year.

Enjoy Hawks fans!

Agreed.

I don't know if the NHL has done it on purpose, or if it's just the current evolution, but the overall product is very good right now.

They don't have the global ultra-superstars like the NBA, but the quality of the overall product is very good, even to the casual observer. It's entertaining.

NBC's coverage was really well done. Hockey is always going to be a niche sport, but could become a little more mainstream (at least during the playoffs) if the product continues to be this entertaining.

The game is far more up and down than it used to be, but it's still very physical.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #369 on: June 25, 2013, 10:51:13 AM »
Chara was on the ice for the majority of the Hawks goals.

Chara is a great player, but he looked out of gas after Game 2. There was a complete change in strategy and the Hawks were going after him.

Big imposing player, would love him on my team.

I don't think that Claude Julian managed his minutes well. I noticed at game 1 that he was on the ice ALL THE TIME! He had to be gassed!

Q does a great job managing minutes, practices, etc. to keep people fresh!

With a second cup in 4 years, I think you have to talk about Q as one of the all time great chicago coaches (Jackson, Halas, Q, Ditka?)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #370 on: June 25, 2013, 10:58:20 AM »
Hawks only team in the salary cap era to win the cup twice.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #371 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
I don't think that Claude Julian managed his minutes well. I noticed at game 1 that he was on the ice ALL THE TIME! He had to be gassed!

Q does a great job managing minutes, practices, etc. to keep people fresh!

With a second cup in 4 years, I think you have to talk about Q as one of the all time great chicago coaches (Jackson, Halas, Q, Ditka?)

Hockey is a niche sport and coaches aren't really all that noticeable to begin with. On top of that, Coach Q isn't exactly the most outgoing and charismatic guy. There's no doubt, he belongs in the conversation about Chicago's greatest coaches but he'll likely never be as embraced and as revered as Jackson or even Ditka (who, in this Bears fan's opinion, was vastly overrated as a coach - the Bears should have won more than 1 SB in the mid-80s).

Chicago Coaches with Multiple Championships:
George Halas - Bears
Phil Jackson - Bulls
Frank Chance - Cubs

Go Cubs!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #372 on: June 25, 2013, 11:54:17 AM »
Not that it matters to anyone, but on a personal level, it's amazing to me to see the Hawks have this success. When I worked for the Bulls in the early 00's, the Bulls & Hawks front offices are side by side on the second floor of the east side of United Center. If you're ever outside by the Jordan statue, the set of windows on the second floor are those offices. You'll see six mini NBA trophies in one of the windows, that's Schanwald's office.

Bulls/Hawks employees get a free catered lunch everyday in the Governor's Ballroom at the UC. Since the Hawks didn't have their own practice complex like the Bulls, hockey operations is at the UC (whereas outside of Matt Llyod and a few others, Bulls operations were at the Berto). At the time, Hawks were going nowhere fast. Smith was the GM, Suhonen was coach. Those two would sit together nearly every day during the offseason and eat lunch by themselves. You'd have marketing people at one table, other team personnel at another, a really dysfunctional looking group. Bulls were post Jordan and in rough shape, but have to say that staff worked very very hard to keep the UC filled (and we did). For two teams struggling at that time, it was a stark contrast in attitudes and appearances. Our neighbors the Hawks were somewhat of a punchline, going nowhere. Over time, and by coincidence of running into him every time I had to pee, I became friendly with Jim DeMaria (real good guy), who once in an honest moment in the preseason, admitted that the team was going to be bad, but there hands were tied (subtly referencing old man Wirtz). Now they are a first rate organization, just amazing to see how they transformed both on and off the ice.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #373 on: June 25, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
Not that it matters to anyone, but on a personal level, it's amazing to me to see the Hawks have this success. When I worked for the Bulls in the early 00's, the Bulls & Hawks front offices are side by side on the second floor of the east side of United Center. If you're ever outside by the Jordan statue, the set of windows on the second floor are those offices. You'll see six mini NBA trophies in one of the windows, that's Schanwald's office.

Bulls/Hawks employees get a free catered lunch everyday in the Governor's Ballroom at the UC. Since the Hawks didn't have their own practice complex like the Bulls, hockey operations is at the UC (whereas outside of Matt Llyod and a few others, Bulls operations were at the Berto). At the time, Hawks were going nowhere fast. Smith was the GM, Suhonen was coach. Those two would sit together nearly every day during the offseason and eat lunch by themselves. You'd have marketing people at one table, other team personnel at another, a really dysfunctional looking group. Bulls were post Jordan and in rough shape, but have to say that staff worked very very hard to keep the UC filled (and we did). For two teams struggling at that time, it was a stark contrast in attitudes and appearances. Our neighbors the Hawks were somewhat of a punchline, going nowhere. Over time, and by coincidence of running into him every time I had to pee, I became friendly with Jim DeMaria (real good guy), who once in an honest moment in the preseason, admitted that the team was going to be bad, but there hands were tied (subtly referencing old man Wirtz). Now they are a first rate organization, just amazing to see how they transformed both on and off the ice.

Interesting insights. What a difference Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough have made!

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #374 on: June 25, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
Interesting insights. What a difference Rocky Wirtz and John McDonough have made!

The draft picks they have made have raised the Hawks from the bottom.  The young players that are coming up through the system and players like Kane and Toews will keep the Hawks rolling for years to come.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016