Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Was the Lovell Hire a Tragic Mistake?  (Read 30658 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Was the Lovell Hire a Tragic Mistake?
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »
Back to Lovell - Saw in Hunt's blog on Ellenson's visit, that Lovell was going to sit down with Henry and talk with him about Marquette and what it has to offer.  Pretty awesome to have a University President who has the personality and willingness to meet with recruits/their families.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »
Cop out and a reason to latch on to a lame excuse.

I would walk over to that fan, ask him to take off the head dress, give him a Trojan helmet or a Spartan helmet and it would be done.   This isn't hard.

What if he is a Native American?

" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
Back to Lovell - Saw in Hunt's blog on Ellenson's visit, that Lovell was going to sit down with Henry and talk with him about Marquette and what it has to offer.  Pretty awesome to have a University President who has the personality and willingness to meet with recruits/their families.

I haven't read the blog yet but what a significant offer from a very busy man. Such a stunning counterpoint to Pilarz who judged books by reading only the cover. Leadership is never about the authority but rather how one uses the authority. Bravo to Lovell for understanding the difference 

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
what if he was a Native American

I would ask him to take a blood test and if he wasn't 100% Native American, his opinion wouldn't count

-Sincerely, those bitching about the Annenberg Poll results on self identified Native Americans

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
I mean it'd probably be best if the individual was native American... or at least hispanic (latino? I don't know what's politically correct anymore). 

Latino is the pc term. Hispanic is still widely accepted
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »
I would ask him to take a blood test and if he wasn't 100% Native American, his opinion wouldn't count

-Sincerely, those bitching about the Annenberg Poll results on self identified Native Americans

Not hitching merely don't agree with your analysis of the results
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2014, 07:40:57 AM »

Wow, for Hunt to report this...is amazing.  Barney would never have let him get this close.  My friend in the AD used to tell me how paranoid he and his wife were about his public image. 

Congrats to Lovell for a great example of servant leadership.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:55 AM »
You are comparing uniforms to logo \ name changes.  It can be done.   It has been done many many times over the years.  Litehouse is dead on right IMO.

Golden State, which you acknowledged.

Think about all of the logo changes over the years, eventually the old logo dies out UNLESS the teams are trying to sell the retro stuff, throwback and promoting it.

How many folks you see running around with this Red Sox logo?  

Angels     Sometimes I'll see some of the old California Angels logos, mostly because the team brings them back for retro stuff, but MU wouldn't bring back the old Warrior stuff.  Just let it die.

Etc, etc.                    

Are people still wearing a bunch of Washington Bullets stuff at Wizards games?  Maybe they are, just asking.

Could have been handled so easily.  Sigh.  

I think it's POSSIBLE, that MU could have pulled if off, but like I said before, I don't think it's likely.

Hindsight being what it is, I think it's easy to say: "They should have just changed the logo!"

BUT, if they had just changed the logo, I have a feeling we'd still get a lot of handwringing from alumni. Maybe not as much anger, but I think you'd hear "They kept the name, but they took away the spirit of it!" or something similar.

People (specifically at the COLLEGE level), don't like when you mess with their traditions.

There is a list of teams out there who have successfully moved from one logo to another (as Chico's correctly listed), but I think it's really tough to do it at the college level (I believe all of the logos Chico's listed were professional teams).

Actually, an interesting comp would be St. John's. Does anybody know if they get a lot of blowback from Alumni? Are students wearing head dresses at games?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
Nah.

Bring back Warriors and a new logo, and all those folks wearing Native American Warrior imagery would acquiesce in no time because they got to keep the name.  This isn't hard.  That's all they had to do from the start.  Golden State did it without any problem.

As for your first point about being one of the worst, that is the eye of the beholder.  MU dropped the offensive logo decades ago.   Or are you implying this logo is offensive?  Again, eye of the beholder. 

Keep the name, change the logo.  It was so easy, but MU blew this one too.  Not surprisingly.

Chico - I agree with you 1000%. It is common sense that Warrior is NOT offensive to anyone not looking to be offended. Also common sense that the caricature that was Willie Wampum was offensive and needed to go.

Why then isn't it also common sense that Chief Wahoo (certainly no less obviously offensive than Willie) should go? And that a nickname DEFINED as a racial slur goes over the "offensive" line and is in no way in the same category as, say, "Braves" or Warriors. Why do you need a poll to decide for you what your common sense can so obviously tell you? I'm not pulling your chain - I'm just honestly stunned that someone who embraces a common sense solution to the Marquette dilemma is so opposed to one for Washington and Cleveland.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
I think it's POSSIBLE, that MU could have pulled if off, but like I said before, I don't think it's likely.

Hindsight being what it is, I think it's easy to say: "They should have just changed the logo!"

BUT, if they had just changed the logo, I have a feeling we'd still get a lot of handwringing from alumni. Maybe not as much anger, but I think you'd hear "They kept the name, but they took away the spirit of it!" or something similar.

People (specifically at the COLLEGE level), don't like when you mess with their traditions.

There is a list of teams out there who have successfully moved from one logo to another (as Chico's correctly listed), but I think it's really tough to do it at the college level (I believe all of the logos Chico's listed were professional teams).

Actually, an interesting comp would be St. John's. Does anybody know if they get a lot of blowback from Alumni? Are students wearing head dresses at games?

As bad as Golden Eagles is, I think Red Storm is worse. I wouldn't mind us at least dropping the Golden part of the name, or we could become the Golden Corrals in Davante's honor.

That being said, I'll always be a Warrior, imagery be damned.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
Was just reading some old articles on the name issue.  I can't believe Wild turned down a 1 million dollar donation to change the name back to the warriors in a non offensive way.   I can't imagine a school doing that unless that contract stuff with the potowatami Indians is true
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 02:48:36 PM »
Believe it was $2M - $1M from Wayne Sanders (Vice Chair of the BOT & graduation speaker) and I believe $1M from one of his close friends also on the BOT who I believe also became a Chair himself a few years later. 

My guess is the money or a large majority of it found its way to Marquette regardless of Wild's decision -- so 'turned down' may be a bit strong in hindsight.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
Why is does this thread exist? 

Marquette was not looking to finesse the issue it was looking to get rid of the name Warriors altogether.  They don't think they made a mistake they think they did it right. 

The only mistake they think was the Gold versus Golden Eagles, not getting rid of warriors.  So talk about how they should handle this issue is tiresome.  They never thought of it in the terms discussed here.  The administration and this board are on completely different pages and no amounted advice or Monday morning Quaterbacking is going to change that.

It's time to let it go.  And also recognize everyone under the age of 25 thinks you're an old fossil for even discussing this.  They are golden eagles and they will always be golden Eagles.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: July 01, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
Why is does this thread exist? 

Marquette was not looking to finesse the issue it was looking to get rid of the name Warriors altogether.  They don't think they made a mistake they think they did it right. 

The only mistake they think was the Gold versus Golden Eagles, not getting rid of warriors.  So talk about how they should handle this issue is tiresome.  They never thought of it in the terms discussed here.  The administration and this board are on completely different pages and no amounted advice or Monday morning Quaterbacking is going to change that.

It's time to let it go.  And also recognize everyone under the age of 25 thinks you're an old fossil for even discussing this.  They are golden eagles and they will always be golden Eagles.

A few people were looking to get rid of it, the main guy was ridden out of town.  Plenty think he and others made a mistake, but like most organizations they aren't going to admit it.

Quite frankly, you have no idea if they will ALWAYS be Golden Eagles.  Someone might get another hair brained idea that golden eagles are offended and change it again.  After all, MU has had its share of nicknames in the last 100 years.   You can keep it all you want, many of us aren't letting it go.

This is my phone case...get asked about it all the time.  "Why did your school change the name...so stupid".

I propose a compromise