[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tribute to True Warriors  (Read 5530 times)

warthog-driver

• All American
Tribute to True Warriors
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
As I reflect over the past several days it strikes me that our tribe - diverse, spatially scattered, and ranging across the years - has seen fit to band together and hold numerous constituencies accountable. We stoked the sparks of rumor into a full-blown conflagration of Peter Finch rage. Ours was a latter day form of sick, malicious vandalism that would make Delta House proud and keep Dean Wormer up at night. I think we can all take a great deal of pride in what we have accomplished here. This was a tremendous exercise in banality taken virtual form. Not only did we capture the attention of a nation but we achieved the Holy Grail of Hooliganism - we elicited a response from our victims! The mainstream media was forced to stand up and take note; we shamed them into comment! More important, the Williamses felt compelled to say something! Gentlemen, we achieved greatness today. You have staked out your space in the Pantheon of Pranksterdom Heroes! Stand tall, be proud, and Never Forget! I am humbled to be in the presence of such audacity!

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Tribute to True Warriors
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »
As I reflect over the past several days it strikes me that our tribe - diverse, spatially scattered, and ranging across the years - has seen fit to band together and hold numerous constituencies accountable. We stoked the sparks of rumor into a full-blown conflagration of Peter Finch rage. Ours was a latter day form of sick, malicious vandalism that would make Delta House proud and keep Dean Wormer up at night. I think we can all take a great deal of pride in what we have accomplished here. This was a tremendous exercise in banality taken virtual form. Not only did we capture the attention of a nation but we achieved the Holy Grail of Hooliganism - we elicited a response from our victims! The mainstream media was forced to stand up and take note; we shamed them into comment! More important, the Williamses felt compelled to say something! Gentlemen, we achieved greatness today. You have staked out your space in the Pantheon of Pranksterdom Heroes! Stand tall, be proud, and Never Forget! I am humbled to be in the presence of such audacity!

Yes, it was a beautiful thing.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »

You're talking about the haikus, right?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
Only wish us internet hooligans were so organized when the original Warrior decision was made.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »
One of the most memorable parts was the news flash last night reporting on what was happening on a message board.  Priceless.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »

And I'm not going to sit here while you bad mouth the United States of America! Gentlemen!!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:03 AM »
One of the most memorable parts was the news flash last night reporting on what was happening on a message board.  Priceless.

It was then that I knew we had achieved immortality. Make no mistake, our racket caused the mainstream media and MU to finally say something. Think about it - both Buzz and LW really said nothing today but they felt compelled to say something. We can take great pride in achieving the Holy Grail of Mischief - a response from the target. They will talk about this day long after we are gone.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:52:46 AM by warthog-driver »

UticaBusBarn

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:31:41 AM »
As an aside, this old time alumni wonders what this all about ... really about, that is.

One cannot help but have the uneasy feeling that the good father is having troubles making the jump from Scranton to Milwaukee. Likewise, the AD seems have hit the ground full of himself, more than anything else.

Anyway, it is new team, and all three need to settle into and define their roles. One hopes Marquette University follows Coach Williams lead in prayer, discipline, hard work, and teaching students to think, be responsible and to grow/mature as people.

As a footnote, greed is always bad, but mischief can often be good :)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:52:08 PM »
While we seldom agree on any one player, coaching decision or hated rival we definitely showed that the fight is still in the Warrior!!!

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
Likewise, the AD seems have hit the ground full of himself, more than anything else.

He is from ND, did you expect anything less than completely full of himself?

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
He is from ND, did you expect anything less than completely full of himself?
Seriously, can we stop with this line of attack? My father, a ND grad, is one of the most humble men you will ever meet in your life. So are lots of other ND grads. Yes, some are arrogant, but so are many Marquette grads, including some posters here on MUScoop. This whole notion that we have to be wary of Williams because he went to ND is ridiculous.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
Seriously, can we stop with this line of attack? My father, a ND grad, is one of the most humble men you will ever meet in your life. So are lots of other ND grads. Yes, some are arrogant, but so are many Marquette grads, including some posters here on MUScoop. This whole notion that we have to be wary of Williams because he went to ND is ridiculous.

+1, Larry is on our team and deserves our support.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
It was then that I knew we had achieved immortality. Make no mistake, our racket caused the mainstream media and MU to finally say something. Think about it - both Buzz and LW really said nothing today but they felt compelled to say something. We can take great pride in achieving the Holy Grail of Mischief - a response from the target. They will talk about this day long after we are gone.

It was Braveheart except nobody died.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
I have no problem with ND guy at all. In some ways I wish MU was more like ND.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

Norm, agree 100%. Where Larry Williams went to school isn't my concern. Who he is and what he's about is.

icheights

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 02:16:05 PM »
How do you know someone went to ND?

....Don't worry they will tell you

Oh, and by the way the team is called the Golden Eagles now, not the Warriors.  Not sure if everyone had gotten the memo yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:25:05 PM by icheights »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
Oh, and by the way the team is called the Golden Eagles now, not the Warriors.  Not sure if everyone had gotten the memo yet.

Keep rooting for your yellow chickens.  My Warriors will stomp on their throat all day long.

leever

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
I have no problem with ND guy at all. In some ways I wish MU was more like ND.

uh oh.  Here comes the "bring back football" thread.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 02:38:03 PM »
Keep rooting for your yellow chickens.  My Warriors will stomp on their throat all day long.

Were you at Marquette when the nickname was Warriors?
We Are Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 03:11:59 PM »
How do you know someone went to ND?

....Don't worry they will tell you

Al McGuire said, "A Notre Dame grad will pick his nose just so you will notice his class ring..."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Mods: Can you auto change "Golden Eagles" to "Hairy Wet Chickens"?  Thank you for your consideration.  I expect an email reply acknowledging my suggestion. 

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »
Mods: Can you auto change "Golden Eagles" to "Hairy Wet Chickens"?  Thank you for your consideration.  I expect an email reply acknowledging my suggestion. 

Amen!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »

to be fair, we should also then auto change Hilltoppers to Pillpoppers

Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

caltruda

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »
Done in the tune of Budweiser's Real Men of Genius...

Real Men of Genius... today we salute you, Mister Overwrought Message Board Poster. You're able to turn the most benign of facts into rumor mongering not seen since the likes of McCarthy. You can turn rumor into fact with hyperbole befitting Baghdad Bob and facts into ad hominem attacks when they fail to fit your narrative. Your tinfoil hat crackles like Jiffy Pop when you create a conspiracy theory, truth and facts be damned, until you get an official statement that says everything without saying anything. So crack open a Budweiser, Mister Overwrought Message Board poster, for you truly do troll with the best of them.

*For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the past 48-72 hours of whatever this was.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 06:34:23 PM »

Sheesh. I hope I have a LONG life! lol
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:40 PM »
Sheesh. I hope I have a LONG life! lol

I cannot help but feel that what we accomplished is one for the ages.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 07:06:03 PM »

Blasphemy

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »

Real Men of Genius... today we salute you, Mister Overwrought Message Board Poster. You're able to turn the most benign of facts into rumor mongering not seen since the likes of McCarthy. You can turn rumor into fact with hyperbole befitting Baghdad Bob and facts into ad hominem attacks when they fail to fit your narrative. Your tinfoil hat crackles like Jiffy Pop when you create a conspiracy theory, truth and facts be damned, until you get an official statement that says everything without saying anything. So crack open a Budweiser, Mister Overwrought Message Board poster, for you truly do troll with the best of them.

*For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed the past 48-72 hours of whatever this was.

Not bad, Cal

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »

Classic articulation of good men accomplishing meaningless things!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »
The latent power of so many determined individuals. Is our next mission to rid ourselves of the hated Golden Eagle name?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
What exactly was said in the news about Scoop?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »

Cal, you are my hero.
Have some patience, FFS.