'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wade to Delay Surgery  (Read 1851 times)

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Wade to Delay Surgery
« on: March 05, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
NBA.com News Flash

Mar 5, 2007 11:39am ET
Heat's Wade Plans on Returning This Season
In the SOUTH FLORIDA SUN-SENTINEL, Ira Winderman writes "Heat guard Dwyane Wade announced Monday morning he will attempt to return this season. Sidelined since dislocating his left shoulder Feb. 21 in Houston while reaching in for a steal against Rockets forward Shane Battier, Wade said he plans to undertake a vigorous rehabilitation program that could have him back for the final games of the regular season."

http://www.nba.com/news/377533.html

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: Wade to Delay Surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 03:06:27 PM »
And from the Miami Herald.

Heat's Wade opts for rehab
BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ
igutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

Dwyane Wade isn't ready to call it a season just yet.

The Heat guard said today he will complete two to three weeks of rehabilitation on his injured left shoulder and then decide whether he can return to the court this season.

Wade, who dislocated his left shoulder and tore his labrum on Feb. 21 in Houston and has seen two doctors since then, said he is making no guarantees on a return but will attempt it rather than undergoing season-ending surgery.

''Both doctors thought it would be a great thing to do because of my youth, because of my history of injuries and normally coming back quicker than most,'' Wade said. ``That's my decision, to rehab for the next two or three weeks, and see if I have the strength and the confidence in my shoulder to play at a high level, especially at the end of the year going toward the playoffs. And if not, then possibly surgery.''

Wade said he will likely have to undergo surgery in the offseason even if he does return, which will likely keep him out at least four months.

If he does feel strong enough after the rehab, Wade said he would like to get back into basketball shape and onto the court before the end of this regular season. Should Wade return soon after the rehabilitation period, that could leave as many as 12 games in the regular season for him to play in a potential playoff run.

While there is a possibility Wade's shoulder can come out of the socket once again, he said there is ''no further damage I can do,'' although it would be another painful experience.

''The main thing that I can do is feel that same pain again,'' Wade said. ``That's one thing they stressed to me, that's one thing I don't want to feel.''

Wade said he spoke with Eddie Jones about his experience after suffering a similar injury. Jones missed 15 games after dislocating his left shoulder and tearing his labrum in March 2001. Jones played the final weeks of the regular season and three playoff games that season without reinjuring himself. He did dislocate the shoulder in his sleep following the season, but it was not a stressful event.

''He was very confident that, with the rehab, I could do it,'' Wade said of his conversation with Jones.

Wade said the team's current performance without him, winning three of four games against playoff-quality competition, didn't factor much into his thinking.

He said he will attempt to return and play his normal, aggressive game despite the injury should he return this season.

Team physician Harlan Selesnick told Wade there was really no protective gear he could wear that would help him avoid another dislocation.

''I think there's a harness that guys wear,'' Wade said. ``He said that's really not for this kind of injury. He doesn't know if that's really the best thing.''

While most assumed Wade would go this route, the guard said the decision wasn't an easy one, despite his competitive nature.

``It was tough, for the simple fact of it being my shoulder, being this time of the year,`` Wade said. ``It could have been easy for me, especially playing all year last year and plus the summer, just to shut it down. But it's tough because you don't know if you're going to be able to go back the same way and attack the same way with a shoulder injury. I talked with a lot of people that had the injury, and I heard a lot of different things. But my body is my body and I guess I'll find out after therapy, after rehab, how my body responds to things.''

Heat coach Pat Riley said, if Wade does return, he anticipates a strong version of him. And just the idea of that happening is a spiritual boost for him and his team.

''The fact that there's a possibility that would give us hope, that it's a lasting hope,'' Riley said. ``And that's what I think Dwyane will give the team. He's a warrior. He's a soldier. And these are his guys.

``I think Dwyane will be Dwyane. I think all great players make the adjustment -- whatever adjustment they have to make.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/592/story/31836.html

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:15:07 PM »
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:19:45 PM »
Nice aviator.  ;D  ;)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 03:29:15 PM »
Nice aviator.  ;D  ;)

been looking for a suitable avatar for a while and I was inspired by yours ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.